Defending Set Pieces

Personally I've gone for having literally everyone back for them.. nobody up the pitch to counter. I'm sure there are better ways of doing it but I was getting so frustrated losing goals at corners I decided to stop it from happening, even if it means I literally never get a counter going.

4 minutes ago, johnnyyakuza78 said:

Personally I've gone for having literally everyone back for them.. nobody up the pitch to counter. I'm sure there are better ways of doing it but I was getting so frustrated losing goals at corners I decided to stop it from happening, even if it means I literally never get a counter going.

Don't suppose you could share what you do mate? These freekicks may  as well be like penalties

I mean it’s quite simple. All of my players take up all the defensive slots. Nobody in lurk outside or stay forward. 

It helps that I have quite tall sides as well. 

worth mentioning I’m still using FM19 so might not be facing same issues as you 

Edited by johnnyyakuza78

Corners: I have my full backs at the posts as last resort rescuers. Central defenders mark tall players because they are my tallest players with most aerial presence, and of course most defensively solid. DM on man marking because he has good positioning and man marking attributes as well. My two CMs on zonal marking near and far centre. Then I'd want an attacking player with good anticipation and pace at the edge of the box to start a counter, in my case my AMR. My AML is told to get back to help out defensively as well, and my striker stays forward in case that counter-attack comes.
If you have a striker with good aerial presence you might want him in the box instead. 

Free kicks: Quite the same, except some players with either high bravery or some that aren't very useful defensively are forming the wall and my full backs are either man marking or get back depending on their marking abilities. 

Edited by GianniM

A small warning before the thread moves in a wrong direction: This (tactical) section of the forums is not meant for complaining about the ME or game in general, but exclusively for people who either need tactical help and advice or can offer such help and advice. Everything else will be removed immediately.

Therefore, only comments that deal directly with what the OP asked (how to improve defending set pieces) are welcome.

Thank you.

11 hours ago, Dicko1878 said:

I'm trying TFFs set up at the moment (I'm using a Knap tactic), so far:

Fulham (a): 4-1 win, the goal conceded was from an indirect free kick

u might want to spend some time to analyze how u conceded the free kick then u can notice what went wrong.

4 hours ago, zyfon5 said:

u might want to spend some time to analyze how u conceded the free kick then u can notice what went wrong.

I orignally thought it was due to committing loads of fouls (obviously the more committed the more chance of goals) but there have been games where there's been 2 fouls in my half and the other team has scored both at the back post depsite throwing more players back there

2 hours ago, karanhsingh said:

Does anyone have something that actually works? This is doing my head in.

Just been dumped out of the CL via consecutive defeats to Barca & Lazio after dominating both games and conceding 3 goals from indirect free kicks :mad:

I haven't found anything, next up with be buying the tallests defenders I can

On 10/05/2020 at 21:37, Dicko1878 said:

Does anyone have any setups or tips to defend indirect freekicks and corners? It's becoming a joke that every game my team is conceding at least one after dominating. I'm so close to just giving up on this game

Oddly enough I have been streaming for quite a while and people will have noticed I have only conceded 3 goals in the league this entire season.  There is a certain logic to defending set pieces.

1. You absolutely need to choose the right players for the tasks.

Centre, Far and Near are the important ones that need to be zonally marked by players who are also good at jumping reach. This makes it really challenging because you still need to assign 2 players to man mark and one more to mark tall player. So this means if you want to defend the area well you need 6 players who can do that job.

2. Edge of area is where players can take the long shot, so you need players who have good anticipation to cover that area. These are also ideally going to be the same players you will rely on to lead counters.

3. Throw ins - far post area needs a player assigned for marking

4. Wide free kick and indirect free kick. The basic logic here is one to man mark, and at least one at near and far post to zonally mark the area. The one at the far post is tricky cos they sometimes get away, but so far I have conceded too few this season to make this a major issue.

I have been using the mark far post for the longest time, there are occasions when I have a player there who gets away, when I check to see who was marking that area, it inevitably becomes one where that player had poor anticipation, marking and acceleration.

And the image you linked is not a good set piece routine, I typically leave it on default and just add one player to far post and one to mark near post area. 

1 minute ago, Rashidi said:

Oddly enough I have been streaming for quite a while and people will have noticed I have only conceded 3 goals in the league this entire season.  There is a certain logic to defending set pieces.

Centre, Far and Near are the important ones that need to be zonally marked by players who are also good at jumping reach. This makes it really challenging because you still need to assign 2 players to man mark and one more to mark tall player. So this means if you want to defend the area well you need 6 players who can do that job.

2. Edge of area is where players can take the long shot, so you need players who have good anticipation to cover that area. These are also ideally going to be the same players you will rely on to lead counters.

4. Wide free kick and indirect free kick. The basic logic here is one to man mark, and at least one at near and far post to zonally mark the area. The one at the far post is tricky cos they sometimes get away, but so far I have conceded too few this season to make this a major issue.

I have been using the mark far post for the longest time, there are occasions when I have a player there who gets away, when I check to see who was marking that area, it inevitably becomes one where that player had poor anticipation, marking and acceleration.

And the image you linked is not a good set piece routine. The near post is always free to do the knockdown

I don't suppose you could share you routines please mate? I think we are all at our wits end with this issue

Okay so I followed Bust The Nets advice and it's alleviated the problem massively for me, going from at least one set piece per game leading to a goal to one every 4/5 games. 

Definitely follow his advice in the post above

On 12/05/2020 at 21:36, Dicko1878 said:

Okay so I followed Bust The Nets advice and it's alleviated the problem massively for me, going from at least one set piece per game leading to a goal to one every 4/5 games. 

Please could you share your setpiece?

On 12/05/2020 at 15:51, Rashidi said:

And the image you linked is not a good set piece routine, I typically leave it on default and just add one player to far post and one to mark near post area. 

An improvement for sure, but I can't deal with "ping pong" effect inside my box; no matter players or team.

It is what it is.

1 hour ago, Cadoni said:

An improvement for sure, but I can't deal with "ping pong" effect inside my box; no matter players or team.

It is what it is.

On 12/05/2020 at 16:36, Dicko1878 said:

can u guys upload that swtup. I am just focusing on set[ices right now 

Okay so I've conceded two goals at the back post from an indirect wide freekick, it looks like my right striker didn't go in the wall. Now I don't mind that per say but he ended up straight up top and this has lead to a free man (De Jong), I guess this is the first change here, moving a player back into the centre to guard that back post.

image.thumb.png.448106a3adef0bbdda548adb097722f4.png

image.thumb.png.1332ee6b05dbcd392f1d31acaa64b786.png

The first free kick is kind of a big decision to make here, look at the image below, you can see (pardon the crude paint work here haha), the match ups are all wrong (yet what I set):

* Black is VVD on Alex Telles

* Blue is Max Wober on De Jong

* Red is Ruben Neves on Oyarzabal (who scored)

image.thumb.png.42fb60decfbb6a93888f58a02e5bf5c4.png

Now I completely get why this goal was scored, simple fact is Oyarzabal is better in the air and had a jump on him, what concerns me is the fact VVD was marked by Aex Telles and could easily have been him who scored. Like I said, this is how I set the routine up but my question is this, how do we set up at the back post if the majority of goals are scored there without sacrificing the near post? 

Last ingame season i suffered 0 goals from corners with default set pieces.

I do see a lot of goals from direct free kicks but usually it's a sign you're losing the tactical battle when you're fouling too much around the area.