who is your greatest player ever in fm

Besagno was a bit of a legend for me too, a key player in my Milan team for over 15 years. Sadly didn't make the transition to coaching. Same with the well-known legend that is Rafinha. Neither guy stopped performing at the top level until their mid-30s. Better still was regen striker Diego Pisano, who I signed on a free at 18 for him to go on and be my star man for the next 17 years and a good first teamer for the next three. Getting 73 goals in 116 caps is pretty impressive for someone who was usually played as a right winger internationally, too. I did a check on his PA late in his career and, much to my surprise, it was only ("only") 185!

In my current team I have two guys who'll probably top him, though. Striker Stefano Corrado at the age of 30 has been the club's star since age 18, with his finest season seeing him average 8.22 with 39 goals in 32 league games. Last season he got a remarkable 20 goals in the Champions League. He also has 106 goals in 119 international games. I don't recall seeing any other players get over the 100 goals mark. Maybe better still is AMC Luca Russo, just 21 yet with 20 goals in his 40 caps to his name, winner of golden boot and player of the tournament in the European Championships aged just 19. I fear for the world when he gets to his peak.

What's the oldest players ever get before retiring in FM06? My goalkeeper, Matteo Iuliano, is inexplicably as good as he's ever been at 39, still first choice for Italy (with 160 caps), amazingly still with a CA of 181. It'll be a sad day when I see him go. I've had two players who I've bred as replacements for him get tired of sitting on the bench as they approach their mid-20s.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fernando Morientes in a CM 01/02 online game where I played as Leyton Orient. I wasn't very good and got my team locked in a negative spiral where my wage budget meant that all my money went to pay wages, and I had no money to sign players. And as such my team was an aging team comprised of bosmans, with no saleable assets to turn things around.

The only thing saving me was Morientes who made my 1-0 grinding 4-5-1 tactic work icon_wink.gif

Been plenty of memorable players though.

fm07, strachan had been sacked early, the team had all deserted, and celtic had gone on a downward spiral to the Scottish 1st division, me, fresh from being sacked from the Leeds job, i took over at celtic, and signed of all people, Henrik Larsson on the free, and true to him, he showed that true class never dies, scored 40 league goals in the season, won me the scottish cup, the CIS cup, and promotion, all in one year, then he retired.

Truly a god on earth.

Craig Brown in CM4, he was a player the computer added to the Alloa Athletic Squad at the beginning of the game to bring the number of players up (pity it couldn't have added a keeper to a squad that started with no GK)

He gained a few Scotland caps, played MC for all 10 seasons from Div 2 to SPL champs in a squad which also featured:

Ivan Hurtado

Stavaridis (Greek international defender) It was a pain in div. 1 having both CB's away on international duty.

Kingsley (Kenyan striker bought for free sold for 5.5m).

Craig Fagan (bought for peanuts as a potential back up, he complained about not playing. As there were 4 matches left and as I had gained promotion i granted him his wish and he scored 9 goals)

In another Alloa CM4 game I signed Peter Holcroft (MC) for free 18 goals in 36 games, the chairman hated him and told me to stop playing him, so after a few warning I eventually had to release him.

Earlier version of CM it would have to be the Brazilian regen available at the beginning of season 2 for £5m with 20 for both Finishing and first touch.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DJdeMarco:

Serge Makofo. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

legend - the fastest most skilfull player ever , used to average 8.2 to 8.5 over 50 games every year

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by vk_flyingfox:

tijani babangida from the old cm game.free guys.almost every game he got 9.at least also 8.he do more den 10 runs at game.but his stat is not dat good. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Haha. I had him too for Barnet on an old CM game. He was absolutely immense, he got paid double the amount in wages as my next most highest paid player but really deserved it. Was the league's top assister for three seasons running for me.

On the same game, I had my two greatest players ever: Ben Strevens and Junior Agogo. They both scored 30+ goals a season and never moaned or wanted to leave. Legends.

In CM4 i signed a 16 year old swedish player called william leandersson for Hartlepool. was an AM/FLC. Played just behind the strikers and got a goal a game.

Ended up playing around 1200 games and scored over 1400 goals. Not a bad return for a £10k.

Sadly never appeared in CM/FM ever again.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

Jon Doolan (CM01/02ish)

Super Kyle FM06

Jon Harkness FM07

......... FM08 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I forgot about a bloke called Vegaard Sveen, (or something similar). Young Scandinavian midfoelder who was immense.

Also I remember Carlo Corrazin in my first ever game of CM/FM. What a goal-machine.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

Jon Doolan (CM01/02ish)

Super Kyle FM06

Jon Harkness FM07

......... FM08 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I forgot about a bloke called Vegaard Sveen, (or something similar). Young Scandinavian midfoelder who was immense.

Also I remember Carlo Corrazin in my first ever game of CM/FM. What a goal-machine. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Also can't believe I forgot to mention Tony Taggart who played for my CM03/04 Barnet team all the way to the Premiership. Taggart is now a bin-man but recently starred for the Havant & Waterlooville team that gave Liverpool a scare in the FA Cup.

On CM I had a deadly attack with Real Madrid: Emmanuele Calaio and Roque Santa Cruz.. absolute class!

On FM I had 2 young players Gibson and (cant remember to other name) (both regens).. Both were regulars on the english national team when they were 18-19 years old and Gibson scored goals for fun while the other player assisted almost all goals for Gibson..

Whoooa Shola Ameobi! Him and Bellamy were lethal in CM02/03 (after shearer retired of course), and he's having a revival in my current 2008 game; and Marco di Vaio was a goal machine at Juve... Adriano scored goals in a season for me once upon a ime at inter in 05.... sigh.

Nathan Jarman on football manager 2006 was an absolute legend for me (he was pretty good on 2007 too) He helped me take Barnsley to the premiership scoring 40 goals + in a championship season 3 years running and when i moved to liverpool i took him with me and he carried on there, his worst ever season was 18 goals from 37 games and he finished with 496 league goals from 714 games. The only shame was the game didnt pick him for England untill he was 30, though he still managed 38 goals in 60 games.

Michael Duff, Right-Back, originally with Cheltenham Town when he first appeared in the CM/FM series, now with Burnley on FM08.

He never had the best attributes, but more than made up for that with his performances & match ratings.

This guy would never get anything less than a rare 7 and was normally on an 8,9, or 10 match rating.

No matter what level I played, or what team I was, after I'd signed him the first time, he was always one of the first signings I would made.

When I played long-term games, he invariably had the highest average rating of any player on the game until he retired.

I've often wondered how he came to perform so well, but he's definitely my favourite signing across a number of releases.

while I lauded genuine superstars in my previous post, I think I kind of prefer players getting a bit above their station. Who would've thought that mediocre journeyman Mike Zonneveld would tear up Serie A as left winger with my obscenely overachieiving Bologna team, winning best defender and best foreign player for five consecutive years, with fellow overachieving (although probably a better player in terms of CA and PA) winger Darijo Srna being not far behind? Particularly impressive considering the comparable mediocrity of the attackers they were supplying. Giorgios Samaras as Serie A top scorer? Classic.

Andrea Pirlo and Gianluca Buffon, starting from around 01/02 (which is that, CM4???) and they still are. I know they are extremely expensive, but if you have a large budget, they're the ones to go for. De Guzman and Micah Richards are also awesome in the latest 2 or 3 versions. When I had a small budget in FM06 with Arsenal I bought Maldini for 1,5m euros and he had the highest average rating in the CL for 2 seasons. Amazing for that kind of money. Simply brilliant.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Schotsmannetje:

Andrea Pirlo and Gianluca Buffon, starting from around 01/02 (which is that, CM4???) and they still are. I know they are extremely expensive, but if you have a large budget, they're the ones to go for. De Guzman and Micah Richards are also awesome in the latest 2 or 3 versions. When I had a small budget in FM06 with Arsenal I bought Maldini for 1,5m euros and he had the highest average rating in the CL for 2 seasons. Amazing for that kind of money. Simply brilliant. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

HOLD ON! How can I forget Iraola in FM07!!! Best RM I have had in ages. What a player he was in FM07. He's quite average in FM08 though unfortunately. Couldn't even apply himself at Newcastle when I played with them, while he became an instant star for Real Madrid in FM07.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Posted 16 February 2008 12:43 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

FM06: Fred and Torres.

Zola Moukoko was a 'kin legend.

From the very early CMs (93-95) Nil Lamptey, Chris Bart Williams, Julian Joachim, Shearer, Alan Moore and Paul Warhurst were all legends who helped me conquer the world in my pre adolescent years.

I loved my regen finds best.

In FM07, playing with Manchester United, I had a Portuguese MC called Silva, bought from Brasil for 5 million. In his first season he scored 19 league goals from central midfield, at the grand old age of 19! None of his technical attributes were below 17...

In CM3, with Hearts, I signed a striker called Marc Anthony on a free: he was out of contract at the start of the game. Went on to be top scorer in the SPL...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by williamshankley:

Tonton Zola Moukoko </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed. Mine would either be Tonton Zola Moukoko in Champ 3 or (99/00), Julius Aghahowa in the same game or Fernando Torres in Football Manager 2006.

Moukoko was amazing, played him anywhere in midfield and he would score 30 a season and get as many assists. Although, what happened to him in real life? I have never heard of him apart from on Champ.

Aghahowa was awesome for my Man Utd team where I played him behind my front two. He scored about 40 goals every season.

Fernando Torres I signed for Barcelona and he must have scored over 200 goals in 5 seasons!

...to add to my great signings, Ederson for Cambridge United in Champ 4 (i think). I signed him for league 2 side Cambridge at the age of 17 and he was unbelievable! He managed to make the full Brazil squad and he was my best player by far every season. He scored loads of goals and set up even more than he scored.

He managed to help me win promotion three years in a row, until I got sacked for finishing 18th in the Championship! It still hurts, even now!....but he was a great player.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by shoonaldo:

cm 01/02 Justin Georcelin

cm 03/04 Anatoli Todorov, Kakalov and Rungratsamee

fm 07 Bianchi the beast (best target man ever!) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rungratsamee??? He's Thai! I know him. Don't remember him being the greatest in the game though. And I don't think he is even now. LOL

Archived