[FM20] Tequila and Mariachi?

_Ben_

November/December 2041

43a9ebed7d39219cfcdb49c43f878158.png

Things are clicking. We are looking ominously good.

A near perfect two months with plenty of good football (as always) and a few more goals (a nice surprise). We started by getting our CL campaign back on track and ended in almost securing progress through with plenty of good league results in between.

The Barca game, as shown above, was just a show of how dangerous we are when we have the ball and we can exploit the spaces and vulnerabilities of the opposition. To then follow that up with a good win over Sevilla shows real quality and a consistency that we haven't always had.

My one issue though is below:

5b354bc312d7f2b98b5d8ba9cd07e378.png

With this happening so early in the season - I'm having to drop in the 'backup squad' much quicker and, as such, they've had less previous exposure to La Liga level football.

---

Player Development

04cafcd161de2a0fc94d54e524990d12.png

I'm really excited about the development of Duarte and, despite his poor scoring record in LaLiga 123 (7 goals in 55 games at an AR of 6.76), he's making some really strong progress - as seen by his all time improvement. I'm continuing to develop him as a complete forward with a focus on his shooting (as this is quite weak on his octagon) but he's now made the step up to international level and it's not going to be too long before he's knocking on the door of the first team and will either move out on loan within La Liga or completely knock second choice striker Alisson Zaros, who, coincidentally wants €100l p/w + to extend his deal, out of the club.

I'm also very excited about:

54abce177dd233da30747ccbc04eb4bd.png

I can't quite put my finger on what it is about him. He's weak mentally at the moment but because he's already so good physically, I can focus all my attentions elsewhere and let his natural growth sort out the strength issue. His personality is amazing and he's a bright spark (6 goals in 16 appearances at an AR of 7.05) in the B-team's poor season. I really don't think it'll be long before he makes the move up to the first team - given his hopefully massive potential!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, _Ben_ said:

Wow!

Not really sure how to interpret those. Which do you think is more true/accurate?

A) A centre back with high decisions is likely to have a higher CA due to the weighting?

B) There is no indication of a player's ability by just looking at their aggression, determination or flair?

---

Both are interesting statements that hold a lot of weight in what we think we know about CA, and, as such, how we improve it.

Yeah, that's exactly the sort of information you could extract from this. If we break it down into each position the following attributes raises CA the most, ie they are the "most expensive" attributes in CA cost:
DL/R: Decisions, Acceleration, Agility
DC: Marking, Decisions, Positioning
WBL/R: Acceleration, Pace, Stamina
DM: Tackling, Decisions, Acceleration and Agility
ML/R: Crossing, Acceleration, Agility and Pace
MC: First Touch, Passing, Decisions and Acceleration
AML/R: Acceleration, Pace and Stamina
AMC: First Touch, Technique, Acceleration and Pace
STC: Finishing, Acceleration plus a bunch of attributes in third place

There are some trends when dividing the positions into defensive/offensive or wide/central, for example Tackling is expensive for defensive positions while First Touch costs a lot of CA for an offensive player. Acceleration and Pace are expensive for wide players, while Vision is much more expensive for MC/AMCs than for any other position.

Generally speaking Decisions along with the physical attributes Acceleration, Agility, Pace and Stamina are expensive for all positions.

On the other hand Aggression, Determination, Flair, Off the Ball and Natural Fitness don't raise the CA at all, which makes these attributes basically "free" if you consider CA a cost towards PA.

5 hours ago, Mikaelinho said:

Yeah, that's exactly the sort of information you could extract from this. If we break it down into each position the following attributes raises CA the most, ie they are the "most expensive" attributes in CA cost:
DL/R: Decisions, Acceleration, Agility
DC: Marking, Decisions, Positioning
WBL/R: Acceleration, Pace, Stamina
DM: Tackling, Decisions, Acceleration and Agility
ML/R: Crossing, Acceleration, Agility and Pace
AML/R: Acceleration, Pace and Stamina
AMC: First Touch, Technique, Acceleration and Pace
STC: Finishing, Acceleration plus a bunch of attributes in third place

There are some trends when dividing the positions into defensive/offensive or wide/central, for example Tackling is expensive for defensive positions while First Touch costs a lot of CA for an offensive player. Acceleration and Pace are expensive for wide players, while Vision is much more expensive for MC/AMCs than for any other position.

Generally speaking Decisions along with the physical attributes Acceleration, Agility, Pace and Stamina are expensive for all positions.

On the other hand Aggression, Determination, Flair, Off the Ball and Natural Fitness don't raise the CA at all, which makes these attributes basically "free" if you consider CA a cost towards PA.

Awesome - let's take a random player and try this out:

6cac8ce7365f778b2597f0dce6d43edf.png

I think that this is going to work particularly well for me as I can't see the attribute numbers so I'm already guessing 'within a band' as it is.

----

Ok, so firstly, his CA is would be higher than a player with the exact same attribute scores as he because he is 'Right' and not 'Right Only'

His first touch is important and that is good, taking up a high amount of CA, as is his passing and acceleration. Additionally, he has fantastic decisions, which takes up a lot of his CA - indicating that I'd probably expect his other attributes to be a little lower elsewhere than a similar player (with 1.5* CA in the same role and who has a decisions rating less than Mena).

However - I could have a player with 20 for aggression, 20 for determination, off the ball, 20 for natural fitness and 20 for flair with exactly the same other attributes and, his mean of attributes (how I calculate progress) would be way up but, actually he'd have the 'same CA.' I'd certainly look more favourably at this player than Mena - which may not be the best way to approach it.

---

What I've done here is used the latest intake for a comparison:

db891e22ae15b1e4b27f3a267b04e2a2.png

The left 'mean' is the standard one that I've used, along with the usual ranking system.

The 'adjusted' mean takes out the attributes that have no RCA weight (aggression, determination, flair, off the ball and natural fitness) and the last takes those out plus corners, free kicks, long throws and penalties as they are not weighted very high.

I need to sit and look at this in a bit more depth to work out what it actually means, but we are now getting a basis for starting CA that is going to be much closer to what the game uses than my basic 'mean' formula. Sadly - I won't be using it in this game as I don't have all the historical attributes to calculate adjusted means for these players.

On 31/03/2020 at 14:59, _Ben_ said:

There was a thread in the GD section that was asking for a search filter for 'Father' or 'son' and indeed 'brother/relative' as it'd be a nice challenge to put together a family side. Take this lad for example - he just popped up in a Player Search so I did a little more research (i.e. scouting) to reveal who his father is:

5873df6a8a92cf987ec3a011469e5330.png

He came through the system at Southampton when his father was managing there.

That's really interesting because I only thought this was possible with Newgen Fathers. In real life OGS has kids called Noah, Karna & Elijah and I would have thought that because he is a real person their names/ages should be linked, (but I guess there are legal issues there). Either way this is really interesting. For a LONG time I looked for players coming through my Academy who had brothers, but never found one. 

On 21/04/2020 at 10:21, _Ben_ said:

Gustavo Catalan - Player Progress

Here was Gustavo when he generated:

e0272009948abfe4185d914689638a99.png

Not up to much?

Well - I kept him, largely for his personality. Here is the transformation he has made since then:

ce42977d05298476b6b8321c9972db8e.png

f5d56b7621cc3ccebd1013012484b46c.png

Now - my HoYD is very very good at judging ability and potential but I'm happy to say that he has got this very wrong! Gustavo is never going to be a world beater and this wasn't about that - but the below information is so important:

fec26e513a363bd4d87056ce219d52ae.png

From a perceived 1.5* Potential Ability to now a 3* PA with the ability to actually play at La Liga level.

---

If this isn't a reason to keep all the players and not judge them by their day one representation, I don't know what is!

I know this post wasn't made today, but it should still win #PostOfTheDay for me. :applause:

On 19/05/2020 at 13:08, Mikaelinho said:

Sorry for taking so long! I've been playing around trying to create a visual presentation of how the different attributes contribute to the RCA. 0 is no contribution at all and 5 is highest possible. It's divided into positions in a table below. 

RCA.thumb.png.3a4a37dae0442a797c5db180f4272e2a.png

I’m sorry but I’m not quite getting it. 

‘RCA’ is ‘??? current ability’?

And the attributes with zero mean that they have no bearing on the player so I shouldn’t bother looking for this trait?

49 minutes ago, pheelf said:

That's some consolation prize, winning the Champions League :D

Congrats, if the hammering you handed out to Barcelona is anything to go by then surely this season will be your year in La Liga.

All the best

It felt a bit hollow at the time, given how bad the league form had been. I've got much more hope this year but have drawn Liverpool, my semi final opponents last year, in the first knockout round!

29 minutes ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

That's really interesting because I only thought this was possible with Newgen Fathers. In real life OGS has kids called Noah, Karna & Elijah and I would have thought that because he is a real person their names/ages should be linked, (but I guess there are legal issues there). Either way this is really interesting. For a LONG time I looked for players coming through my Academy who had brothers, but never found one. 

I also have never seen it before and probably 'got lucky' because of his quite unusual last name.

Just last year I had a player come through my youth system and his brother had come through a few years previous:

5361f007899b608709da4f008e73ff25.png

I also had this last year with San Marino!

I guess I've lucked out with a son and two brothers from my own academy this year!

7 minutes ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

I know this post wasn't made today, but it should still win #PostOfTheDay for me. :applause:

Thank you!

He's gone on to forge a decent career in La Liga with Girona:

9247554c7fa4fa7e8cdf838d8926deef.png

I've not had anyone since with such a difference from day one report and I'm now keeping every player for purpose of 'testing' this kind of thing but it's a great achievement and a great feeling given that something has happened that, essentially, the game has done its best to tell me that wouldn't happen!

Just now, metallimuse said:

And the attributes with zero mean that they have no bearing on the player so I shouldn’t bother looking for this trait?

RCA is "Recommended Current Ability", which is a value guiding the actual "Current Ability". They are often the same value, but can sometimes differ slightly. The attributes with 0 means that they don't affect the actual Current Ability value, so they don't move the player closer to his potential ceiling (ie the Potential Ability) regardless of their value. Whether you think they have any bearing on the player is up to you, but I consider all of these attributes as very important!

10 minutes ago, metallimuse said:

Ok - let me try and explain although I feel @Mikaelinho may be able to add more.

In the editor, you have CA - current ability, PA - potential ability and RCA - recommended current ability. The first two are quite easy but the last one is, I think, the games way of assisting you to get a correct current ability for the attribute balance of a player. For example, if I made/edited a player to have 20 for each attribute, his RCA would be really high because it'd be recommended to be good so all his attributes would match (and I think that this has come in because, in the past, people would give really high attributes in the editor and be like 'oh my player only has 12s for his attributes although I put 20s in).

In terms of the 'zero weighting' - I could give a player 2 CA in the editor but give him 20 for all of those that essentially don't count and they wouldn't be re-adjusted. I couldn't, for example, give a striker 20 for finishing and 2 CA as it'd be re-adjusted.

Hopefully that makes sense...

EDIT: Another example - Determination doesn't use CA points so mentoring will not only develop this attribute but also, potentially, improve his personality so that he's better set up to reach the PA.

Edited by _Ben_

2 minutes ago, Mikaelinho said:

RCA is "Recommended Current Ability", which is a value guiding the actual "Current Ability". They are often the same value, but can sometimes differ slightly. The attributes with 0 means that they don't affect the actual Current Ability value, so they don't move the player closer to his potential ceiling (ie the Potential Ability) regardless of their value. Whether you think they have any bearing on the player is up to you, but I consider all of these attributes as very important!

So, if I wanted to get a player to his full potential I wouldn’t bother with training the attributes that have a zero on the table?

5 minutes ago, metallimuse said:

So, if I wanted to get a player to his full potential I wouldn’t bother with training the attributes that have a zero on the table?

No, I mean it the other way around. You could get these attributes to 20 without it affecting the way the game counts progression towards a player's potential. I'll use an example from my blog post about this:

"Let's start by using an image to explain this. Think of PA as a storage space and CA as boxes. The PA value will determine how big your storage space is and your position will determine how much space different CA boxes take up of this storage space. The size of these boxes are correlated to how important the content of that box is to your position, ie how much the individual attribute contribute to CA value. For example, a box containing 1 attribute point of "Tackling" will come in a bigger box to a central defender's storage space than to that of an attacker, and therefore taking up more CA towards PA."

The attributes with 0 don't take up any space in your storage room!

EDIT: I think it's easier to understand this if you look at PA as a restriction to development instead of an aim.

Edited by Mikaelinho

7 minutes ago, _Ben_ said:

Ok - let me try and explain although I feel @Mikaelinho may be able to add more.

In the editor, you have CA - current ability, PA - potential ability and RCA - recommended current ability. The first two are quite easy but the last one is, I think, the games way of assisting you to get a correct current ability for the attribute balance of a player. For example, if I made/edited a player to have 20 for each attribute, his RCA would be really high because it'd be recommended to be good so all his attributes would match (and I think that this has come in because, in the past, people would give really high attributes in the editor and be like 'oh my player only has 12s for his attributes although I put 20s in).

In terms of the 'zero weighting' - I could give a player 2 CA in the editor but give him 20 for all of those that essentially don't count and they wouldn't be re-adjusted. I couldn't, for example, give a striker 20 for finishing and 2 CA as it'd be re-adjusted.

Hopefully that makes sense...

You do a better job explaining this than I do! It even makes more sense to me now after reading this!

10 minutes ago, Mikaelinho said:

No, I mean it the other way around. You could get these attributes to 20 without it affecting the way the game counts progression towards a player's potential. I'll use an example from my blog post about this:

The attributes with 0 don't take up any space in your storage room!

The other way around?

But if the zero takes up no room then why would I load it up? If I want to fill the space then surely I’d want to fill the big boxes? Why waste my time filling something that takes up no space?

20 minutes ago, metallimuse said:

Look back to the midfielder I posted earlier:

386fb6641126485d9729adc40a200787.png

Now, he's got 1.5* CA and a certain current ability (I don't know it, so lets call it for now). If you excuse my terrible editing skills on Paint - he could have this attribute set and his CA would still be 1.5* (if judged by the same member of staff under the same form etc etc) but, most importantly, still have x CA.

37780de3a956901a448b92f9062de656.png

Looks better, doesn't he?

Now, I can keep all of those as they are and use up some CA, so let's say x+2 for an example - to give him an attribute spread like this, by improving the attributes that aren't weighted highly:

5204502f92b7963049a8112f958f9fde.png

Looking a much better player at first glance again? Remember - this is a player hardly any better than the first image.

Lastly, lets improve some attributes that aren't weighted highly for a central midfielder - heading, bravery, leadership and jumping reach. Again, I'd say that now his CA is maybe x+5 yet he 'looks' so much 'better' at first glance:

70409c80ac239d6efad3f95e7ca65bf4.png

----

That doesn't really answer your question, so sorry, but shows you that looks can be deceiving! But now, you can use his spare PA to train the other attributes up to make a really rounded player.

Edited by _Ben_

3 minutes ago, metallimuse said:

The other way around?

But if the zero takes up no room then why would I load it up? If I want to fill the space then surely I’d want to fill the big boxes? Why waste my time filling something that takes up no space?

As I kind of alluded to - if want a tenacious midfielder who already has 20 for aggression and bravery, you could spend all his remaining PA on training his tackling and marking. I guess that these 'lower weighted' attributes are harder to improve so this leads to trends when recruiting or being clever when looking at retraining youth players.

8 minutes ago, metallimuse said:

The other way around?

22 minutes ago, Mikaelinho said:

EDIT: I think it's easier to understand this if you look at PA as a restriction to development instead of an aim.

Don't look at the PA as storage space that you want to/must fill. Instead think of it as "this is all the storage space I have, how can I use it most effectively?" We can probably all agree that Tackling is very important to central defenders, right? The game also recognizes this, which means that every attribute point in Tackling comes in a big box, taking up a lot of your potential space. We can probably also agree on the notion that Flair is better the more the player has of it, but it doesn't take up any storage space, which is good since it doesn't restrict development in the most important attributes.

I think the game handles the attributes without a CA contribution more like "traits" than actual trainable attributes if you get what I mean. The common denominator for these five attributes are that they range from hard to impossible to improve through training. 

On 02/05/2020 at 23:00, _Ben_ said:

Producers of talent

7d44ff53a5634359659da3c2841e1a8b.png

Worryingly, we have dropped off this list...

I'm sure you probably know this already, but if you hover over the bar for your club, a pop-up appears detailing exactly which players make up the Homegrown players, (because it's not "just" products of your Academy). It took me ages not notice that. 

On 03/05/2020 at 21:08, _Ben_ said:

Producers of Spanish national team players

20a4c1a2feadaa91bf626d5b28816e43.png

A new list to be on and one I want us to be dominating soon!

Again, like the previous post, hover above this and it will show you which players. I love these little mini-features. :thup:

On 06/05/2020 at 13:10, rosque said:

This is gonna make me sack all my staff and get all model pro/model citizen but gonna go for it since my facilities are outstanding

I have delegated the whole staff recruitment side of things all the way through my save, (and I'm  in 2045). I have known all along that I shouldn't do this, (but i am lazy). Now is the time to pull my finger out and overhaul staff recruitment. I have not even the slightest clue what I will find when I go in there after I've finished this thread. (It's going to be a nightmare!)

How can I expect to produce the best players if I can't even be bothered to recruit... I was going to say "the best" coaches, but the truth is that I haven't even been bothered to recruit decent coaches. I just haven't been bothered at all. In an ideal World you would tell your DoF, (or whoever), the type of coach you wanted to recruit and then he would go and choose who he thought was the best available fit to the desired characteristics. 

On 14/05/2020 at 22:34, quee said:

Ben, how much a factor does personality play for you when choosing a Captain and Vice-Captain?

Would you go for a new signing with the best personality or a player who is already a team leader, already been at the club for a few years, decent personality, and decent leadership?

Since it can affect the squad's personality changes, right?

Interesting to see what your take on this would be.

Although I play using an IR button, (so don't watch games as they happen anymore), one of the widgets that I used to place great importance in was the body-language one. As far back as, (I think it was FM14), I remember noticing a huge improvement in team body language when I had 1 of my Model Pro's captaining the side in comparison to when they were absent and there was a captain, (good leadership), but who wasn't either Model Pro or Resolute. 

Back in the day Model Citizens seemed to be really thing on the ground in the game and they are FAR more common now. 

If we agree that body language offers an important insight into the inner workings of the game during the match, and we agree that individual attributes of the Model Pro personality as a captain enhance/benefit that, then it stands to reason that personality is probably significantly more influential in terms of on-field captaincy, than the attribute of "leadership" for example, which while significant in itself, (let's just accept that it is for a minute), which might be part of an overall "poor" personality which impacts negatively on the squad during the game. I'm not 100% positive about this, but I have a sneaking suspicion that "Leadership" didn't actually used to exist and it was actually called "Influence" back in the day, (but I might be wrong). Feel free to correct me if that's wrong. Either way, influence or leadership or whatever you want to call it, van be both positive and negative. I'm sure we can all think of real life negative examples of this.

On 16/05/2020 at 22:43, _Ben_ said:

Brothers!

I saw that I had another Senegalese player named Seck and thought, out of curiosity, I'd check it out..

e6acb375b372f6c3081c0147df9b58a1.png

Older brother Moussa hasn't made a huge amount of progress and is now spending time at third tier L'Hospitalet in order to try and kick start his development. Younger brother Oumar has a better personality and looks like he could do a little better.

I'm so so so so jelous. :applause:

On 19/05/2020 at 13:08, Mikaelinho said:

Sorry for taking so long! I've been playing around trying to create a visual presentation of how the different attributes contribute to the RCA. 0 is no contribution at all and 5 is highest possible. It's divided into positions in a table below. 

RCA.thumb.png.3a4a37dae0442a797c5db180f4272e2a.png

STOP! Read this now.

Look at it and if you don't understand what it is then ask. This is probably the single most significant graphic I have seen on the forum in a LONG time. I can't believe it only has 1 like. :applause:

1 hour ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

I'm sure you probably know this already, but if you hover over the bar for your club, a pop-up appears detailing exactly which players make up the Homegrown players, (because it's not "just" products of your Academy). It took me ages not notice that. 

Did not know that! Thank you!

New Signing

ae1a8af92dafdb4056b511a6292cdf7d.png

Forgot to mention this lad I got from @keeper#1's team - Cultural Leonesa. He's being converted to an attacking full back and for a €750k outlay - he'll provide me some cash in the future and could be my first Qatari/Spanish La Liga player.

How have I missed out of this thread for this long, amazing content. After 14 years of playing FM, I didn't think I'd have anything left to learn (except the match engine that's still a mystery to me) but I'm glad to say I've learnt so much by reading through your thread. Honestly hats off to you Ben, KUTGW!

3 hours ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

STOP! Read this now.

Look at it and if you don't understand what it is then ask. This is probably the single most significant graphic I have seen on the forum in a LONG time. I can't believe it only has 1 like. :applause:

I don't know if I have the full grasp of this. RCA (recommended current ability I'm guessing) is affected differently for different attributes depending on the position, therefore, for example, increasing a striker's finishing will 'cost' more CA points than doing the same thing for a full-back. Furthermore, from the mental attributes, increasing aggression, determination, flair and (most interestingly) off the ball will have no effect on CA.

We need to get an academic prize going to acheivements in FM, because @Mikaelinho just won it.

36 minutes ago, AceAvenger said:

I don't know if I have the full grasp of this. RCA (recommended current ability I'm guessing) is affected differently for different attributes depending on the position, therefore, for example, increasing a striker's finishing will 'cost' more CA points than doing the same thing for a full-back. Furthermore, from the mental attributes, increasing aggression, determination, flair and (most interestingly) off the ball will have no effect on CA.

We need to get an academic prize going to acheivements in FM, because @Mikaelinho just won it.

That's pretty much it, that's why when you retrain a player to a different position;some funky things may happen with their attributes where there's a slight decrease or bump in attributes due the re-weighting of attributes. But I don't want to open a can of worms here :lol:

1 hour ago, AceAvenger said:

How have I missed out of this thread for this long, amazing content. After 14 years of playing FM, I didn't think I'd have anything left to learn (except the match engine that's still a mystery to me) but I'm glad to say I've learnt so much by reading through your thread. Honestly hats off to you Ben, KUTGW!

You're 100% on it regarding RCA and attributes mate. And congrats on making a grown man blush and giggle!

50 minutes ago, kidthekid said:

That's pretty much it, that's why when you retrain a player to a different position;some funky things may happen with their attributes where there's a slight decrease or bump in attributes due the re-weighting of attributes. But I don't want to open a can of worms here :lol:

I refrained from opening that can as well! Let's take things one step at the time!

On 31/03/2020 at 21:59, _Ben_ said:

He came through the system at Southampton when his father was managing there.

He looks older than his father at 26 than whatever age Ole is now :lol:

17 часов назад, Jimbokav1971 сказал:

STOP! Read this now.

I think i don't 100 % understand how it works. Could you give some concrete example of how can i use this graphic on practice?

I GOT IT!

giphy.gif

Woke up this morning and it clicked with me. So the "empty boxes" I can keep filling even when the player has hit maximum potential yes? Cause that doesn't affect his overall RCA?

But if I keep trying to fill up the big boxes then some of the stuff will fall out of the other boxes?

Yes?

30 minutes ago, metallimuse said:

I GOT IT!

giphy.gif

Woke up this morning and it clicked with me. So the "empty boxes" I can keep filling even when the player has hit maximum potential yes? Cause that doesn't affect his overall RCA?

But if I keep trying to fill up the big boxes then some of the stuff will fall out of the other boxes?

Yes?

I believe that you will find these 'unweighted' attributes somewhat harder to grow - but, essentially, yes!

2 minutes ago, _Ben_ said:

I believe that you will find these 'unweighted' attributes somewhat harder to grow - but, essentially, yes!

Have you done any investigation into GKs? My thinking is that handling, reflexes, positioning and agility could be the biggest boxes there

December 2041/January 2042

8f61ddcfab6f98cde15ba1f1832385bc.png

Wow.

We are absolutely unstoppable at the moment!

We have obliterated every team in sight and are producing scintillating football with both squads (minus a penalty heartbreak where goalkeeper Fulvio missed our ninth penalty!). The considerably more potent offence is now paired with the ever-tight defence and I really can't see anyone stopping up on this form.

Obviously - our next two La Liga fixtures are:

• Barcelona (A)
  • Real Madrid (H)

Which will, undoubtedly, decide the outcome of our season.

----

69a4ac1b78854b605ae81c00e9b7eb8c.png

The B-team have just about dragged themselves out of the drop zone and, hopefully, will start to develop once again. I have fewer genuine talents (maybe only Duarte and Falcon who will really make it) so there should be some more stability to rebuild this team, as they've lost their entire first team in three years!

3 minutes ago, rodesire said:

Have you done any investigation into GKs? My thinking is that handling, reflexes, positioning and agility could be the biggest boxes there

No. When I first made this tracking system, it was far less in depth than it is now and I never bothered looking at GK development because, at the time, I had one Sammarinese goalkeeper in the squad and he made over 1000 appearances - meaning that I didn't need to think about developing others!

I'd direct that towards @Mikaelinho as he may have done some looking at this...

13 minutes ago, _Ben_ said:

Well I've got a grasp of what it means and where I can go with it, that's the important thing here :lol:

2039-40: Three year youth development

The last year that I'll be tracking the below group, who came through like this:

35a5f013480731dde98d982783f12d78.png

This was an interesting group of players with a few good personalities but some poor ones, too and was also my first mediocre intake. The progress was decent in the first year and I was not surprised that M.Citizen Sanchez made the best growth. The second year followed suit with some good developments, particularly for Cueda - who struggled in Year 1.

Here is the Year 3 progress:

7404c5cb80034ec858b4023ccc7722ad.png

As I previously alluded to - I sold off some players so it's not the whole cohort who has completed the three year monitoring but this won't happen in future. There are some interesting points to see here - particularly in the 'ranking' where previously top ranked player Espinosa has not made a huge amount of progress and instead, the better starting personalities of Bengoetxea, Gonzalez and Sanchez have caught up (and by this, I think that Espinosa has probably 'just' made the threshold for Pro due to the squad personality impact rather than being 'secure' in that area). I am also not surprised by the lack of development for Gustavo Pena and his terrible personality.

Out of this cohort - Espinosa, Gonzlaez and Sanchez are in the first team as part of the 'backup squad'

2040-41: Two year youth development

Time to look at the second year development of the 2040-41 cohort, who were profiled as 'poor' yet had good starting attributes yet didn't develop too well after one year (how confusing!)

f2ba446eeac32e269327e24b14c822ef.png

This was them at their starting point:

7f5395080fba4d5d448601d5a2f3dc6d.png

I immediately linked the poor intake to the poor personalities as we only have one Pro here and a handful of Light-Hearted players, which isn't a dead cert for good progress. After the first year, there'd been some development - with Duarte leading the way at a measly 1.3 points and Rafa Zapata becoming the 'winner' of worst development, ever!

Here is how they look after two years:

16ab2ced21c235521c40c5f96e2bed16.png

The average growth of 0.7 mirrors what I saw last year and, once again, it is Duarte who progressed the most and Zapata the least, again going backwards! Historically, I have seen a 'second season reduction' in growth, particularly for those players who did well in season one, but this is not the case and Duarte has developed more. What is more promising is that he's improved his 'key attributes' by nearly one quarter (and that is only with B-team level football).

Out of this group, Alvimir, Calvo, Duarte, Vera and Yuste and B-team regulars - which pretty much matches their starting CA rank, with only Alvimir lower than 5th at the start.

---

If the third year yields similar results, I think that I can say 'yes - this intake is poor' but only in personality. That being said - I have managed to change Alvimir to Pro and Yuste has moved to F.Pro. This is without mentoring (as it can't be used in the B team) so is relying just on the squad personality. I don't want to make comparisons with these players if they hadn't changed personalities but I'd like to think their changes are only positive.

Duarte has a real chance of making the first team (for comparison, Alisson Zaros has a mean attribute rating of 12.4 at the start of the year and is 4 years his senior) and Vera and Yuste certainly look solid acquisitions for a La Liga team in the future. I'll continue to document the 'rating' of the intake but also continue to completely disregard it and, instead, looking at data I have been collecting for fifteen in-game seasons!

Edited by _Ben_

What?!

4f86f67e926014471dce45ba5e1caeb7.png

I think we might win the league...

Just for comparison - we are scoring at 2.2 goals/90 this season (up 1.1/90 on last year and our best ever) and we have 61 points from 23 games - 2.65 PPG, which, if we continue, would see us end on 101 points. That is the form of champions!

22 minutes ago, sherifdinn_ said:

Just caught up, this is amazing. 

I wonder, still using the same IWB system from seasons ago?

I am, indeed:

cd3e4bb6b9e5910fe9afff48dde1f464.png

The wingers and forward have been quite fluid in terms of their roles as I've tried to find what works best - I've settled on this, for now. The midfield trio is very fluid and I have the 3 tactics called 1-2 (this one) as it's got 1 DMC and 2 MC and then there is a 2-1 (with a DM(d), DM(s) and a CM(a) a 3 (with varying roles depending on who we are facing).

The IWB(s) are working fantastically and have contributed 24 assists (this does include Barreda's assists from corners) between them this year, which is a superb return!