Didn't watch the game due to being at work but just read the match report and that Messi has quit international football. Will be watching the match highlights when I crawl out me pit later

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hodgson has indeed fallen on his sword and resigned.

Nice one, Terk, you typical gloating Scotsman. Tactics Tim would be a brilliant choice. /sarcasm

My serious choice would actually be either Mauricio Pochettino or Marcelo Bielsa. More likely, though, they'll probably bring in another nice-but-weak manager like Gareth Southgate.

Don't worry guys, it's almost Euro 2008 in my story, just pretend that's real life and hope England with Super Steve McClaren do better.

Every England result was very predictable. The next manager though, I don't know. Don't see Southgate as England did poorly in the U21 Euros, so anyone foreign with a big name.

LVG is looking for something to do.

Didn't do too badly with Holland at the last World Cup tbf.

I'd like Gary Neville eventually, but I don't think it's his time just yet. Couldn't have Southgate as England manager. Hoddle is second fav with a lot of bookmakers :o

Got 14 managers for the sign up, if anybody else wants to join just let me know. Going to sort the teams out etc in the next day or so. Been a little manic today so not been able to get round to it today

One thing I'd like to see the new England manager do is decide on a specific style of play. Hodgson didn't seem to really do that but then, when you look at England at present it's hard to see what style would suit all eleven players. They can't really play a possession-based style, despite some pace up front they aren't really a good pressing team and who knows if they are good enough technically to play the patient game.

Having just watched the Copa America I've watched Jurgen Klinsmann play the United States in a direct style because we haven't really got the skill to play anything else, but I would love to see an American team be able to play like Chile did. Damn, they're fun to watch. They are relentless.

I feel an Allardyce or Pulis is required. England don't have the luxury of choosing a style of play, let alone a nice looking one. They need to beat teams, specifically the upper tier. They need a disciplined team that's hard to play through, and that can strike efficiently. Possession no longer matters and England have shown already that it doesn't matter if you have 20 shots on target, it matters if you're efficient.

If and when England become a team not crippled by the prospect of playing away from home (all those Wembley friendlies), finals, knockout matches and penalty shootouts (so much so that they're actually called 'Dreaded Penalties' over here like they're something to fear), then maybe they can think about playing like one of the better teams rather than attempting to and just losing 4-1 to Germany or failing to break teams like Iceland or Slovakia down (remember England only scored via a penalty, and Sterling wasn't going to score before that foul anyway).

I wouldn't be too disappointed with Tony Pulis, actually. He's Welsh, but nationality shouldn't really come into it when deciding the next England manager. He can get results with teams that aren't exactly blessed with top-quality players, and although West Brom aren't great to watch, England don't exactly play like Spain or Germany - even if we did, we probably wouldn't fare much better than we usually do.

We need someone who can develop an England team that plays to its strengths in its own style. We can't just copy the Spaniards or the Germans or even the Italians. At the same time, we don't need someone who plays bland football and then suddenly tries every trick in the book before he ultimately attempts to shoehorn every modern-day footballing cliché into his resignation speech in the space of 15 minutes.

Steve Bruce is someone else that I would say would be a reasonable appointment if the FA went British. I do, though, have major reservations about the other main UK candidates - Alan Pardew (insufferable dad-dancing buffoon), Stuart Pearce (strongly disliked him since the horror of 'Team GB' at London 2012), Eddie Howe (too young), Gareth Southgate (too nice), Glenn Hoddle (speaking as someone with a disability, I wouldn't stand for him coming back), Alan Shearer (done nothing in management since 2009), Rio Ferdinand (no coaching experience), Gary Neville (Valencia - need I say more?), and David Moyes (NO. Just NO).

Sam Allardyce would have been an excellent choice 10 years ago before Steve "Sigthorsson... Oh..." McClaren came in, but that ship has sailed. He may have been in vogue in the mid-2000s, but now, he should just stick to his specialty - saving clubs from relegation - rather than set himself up for a massive fall.

They're not inspiring choices, though, hence why I'd prefer it if we looked outside of British football for our next manager. Whoever the FA's choice is, they've got to get it right this time.

People have said G.Southgate is the favourite. Yes he is too nice and will be a FA yes man like S.McClaren was. He does have one thing going for him, he did deal with a lot of the younger players at U21 level.

Eddie Howe yes he is young but why not give the younger managers a chance, the older ones with so called more experience haven't been much cop.

A.Pardew well enough said jog on before we even get close to that

I reckon we should have some sort of team of ex players to go with a young and upcoming (BRITISH) manager.

Oh on a separate note sherwinga I've added your name to the sign up cheers

Problem is England were terrible at the last U21 Euros under Southgate.

Chris Hughton is a name that's yet to pop up even though anyone who's English has now. Don't know if he's at Pulis level of consistency but he's one of those guys who when a club hires you know they're going to be relatively sturdy, they won't drop like a stone. Don't know why he's not a regular Premier League manager, you'd like to think it's not his skin colour.

Pardew won't be considered because he has an attitude. Even so, I looked at his record recently and it turns out it's really poor. Clubs he takes charge off tend to sink terribly and he leaves a club (gets sacked) with everyone hating him, and the next guy who comes in does better. So far it looks like his good results didn't even last a season with Palace, after December they went 3 months straight without a win and only picked up 2 more wins before the end, hemorrhaging goals, even lost to Villa. Not a wild bet to be sacked next season.

Is that because Hughton is Irish?

I personally wouldn't be against Hoddle (third highest win ratio of England managers) or Redknapp, but I can imagine a decent backlash against the former and the latter will have burnt too many bridges when he didn't get the job last time.

He was born and raised in London, played all his career there. He's half-Irish (and half-African).

Maybe so, but you'd imagine that the 50-odd caps for Ireland is all people will see and thus declare him Irish.

Also, saying that, I don't think he should be anywhere near the England team. Just don't see how he's good enough.

Eddie Howe could be a future England manager, but I'd like him to have a few more years at club level. The likes of Neville, Ferdinand and Shearer need to prove themselves first. Southgate has shown absolutely nothing as u21 manager, but he's likely to get it by default when England wins a friendly under his interim stewartship.

Of the English options that are mentioned, the only ones I'd have no major arguments against are Hoddle and Redknapp

Damn, I go away for a few days and the world has turned upside down.

I do hope that whoever comes in next for the England job will have the strength in personality to effect real change. There's plenty that needs doing, and a strong character is needed. Hodgson was a good try but I felt that he wasn't assertive enough in some ways. Plus some of his tactics at the Euros were a bit odd (Wales game aside). Almost reminiscent of his ill-fated stint at Liverpool a little.

My Dad is in hospital tonight, and probably for the next few days. He had a 'mild' stroke last night.

He told me today that he no longer remembers how to make a cup of tea and will have to re-learn it. That in itself really bothers me.

How can a man who, in my head, has been invincible the last 69 years suddenly not be able to make a pot of tea? My head is completely baffled by it.

You've had a rough go of late, friend. Prayers for you and yours.

Parents aging can be very hard to deal with. My dad was like yours but went downhill so quickly I could hardly believe it. I wish better for your family. Do the best you can to be there for him and take it nice and slow.

Thanks guys.

I'm beginning to take it in now and it seems, from what my Mum says, that he is already beginning to get somewhat better. I know his arm and leg will never be 100% again but she can see improvements so it looks like he will recover well.

I hardly slept at all last night worrying about it, but now that seems stupid as it appears he'll make a decent recovery.

My Dad is in hospital tonight, and probably for the next few days. He had a 'mild' stroke last night.

He told me today that he no longer remembers how to make a cup of tea and will have to re-learn it. That in itself really bothers me.

How can a man who, in my head, has been invincible the last 69 years suddenly not be able to make a pot of tea? My head is completely baffled by it.

Sorry to hear that. Life is tough and dealing with mortality even tougher.

Hang in there. All the best.

I'm really sorry to read about your father's decline. Not cool at all. It's a sad thing, but I hope that your support network is a strong one. Things in the moment always grab our attention. Losing sleep worrying about things is normal. Just make sure you say what you want and do what you want when you get the chance. The future has no issues with being "real" and those things we plan for "just the right moment" often get denied and stolen from us.

I came on to brag about my wife getting her comment read aloud on the Men In Blazers Live Stream following the Euro Cup Final. She first discovered those 2 yahoos while listening to Satellite Radio here in the US. Now, she catches their weekly half hour television show on NBCSN. Regularly she visits their page on Facebook and she was watching the live stream, posted a status, and then got to listen to them mention it live a few minutes later. I was still in front of the telly half listening to the pundits smashing France for an underwhelming performance and for the poor quality throughout the Euro Tournament when I heard her holler from the other room. For a split second, I thought something horrible had happened, then it became quite clear she was elated to make the live stream. Congratulations to her!

• 2 weeks later...

Gentlemen the sticky for the new FMS Fantasy Football is up. You have till 11th August to submit your team. Also please ensure to post what your team name is on the thread so I know who's who

Cheers

I came on to brag about my wife getting her comment read aloud on the Men In Blazers Live Stream following the Euro Cup Final. She first discovered those 2 yahoos while listening to Satellite Radio here in the US. Now, she catches their weekly half hour television show on NBCSN. Regularly she visits their page on Facebook and she was watching the live stream, posted a status, and then got to listen to them mention it live a few minutes later. I was still in front of the telly half listening to the pundits smashing France for an underwhelming performance and for the poor quality throughout the Euro Tournament when I heard her holler from the other room. For a split second, I thought something horrible had happened, then it became quite clear she was elated to make the live stream. Congratulations to her!

Congratulations to Mrs. Horse, who apparently knows as much about the beautiful game as her husband :D

Congratulations to Mrs. Horse, who apparently knows as much about the beautiful game as her husband :D

It's certainly true in my case that my wife is better than me at everything (other than being tall enough to change a light bulb, though if she was she would doubtless be better than me at it) so I don't know why you are being a bit sniffy about Mrs Horse, 10-3, as this is quite obviously the natural order of things.

1 hour ago, Greasy Chip Butty said:

The FMS rules thread isn't opening. Or is it just me?

Yeah because the rules were written quite awhile ago they wont be indexed in ywt. Somw of the older poats throughout the forum wont be showing for a few days 

I have to say, this new forum software is terrible.

I've waiting a couple of days to ensure I wasn't just being a child about it but nothing is where I expect it to be. Why can't stuff be left alone!

:cry:

8 hours ago, Greasy Chip Butty said:

The FMS rules thread isn't opening. Or is it just me?

It opened for me just now. However, it appears to have been transferred in raw HTML code which means it all shows (and the links I spent all that time entering in a futile attempt at humor) are not.

We'll have to see what happens in the coming days.

1 hour ago, tenthreeleader said:

It opened for me just now. However, it appears to have been transferred in raw HTML code which means it all shows (and the links I spent all that time entering in a futile attempt at humor) are not.

We'll have to see what happens in the coming days.

Yeah, same for me. Only wanted to check one thing on there!

6 hours ago, Celtic_1967 said:

I have to say, this new forum software is terrible.

I've waiting a couple of days to ensure I wasn't just being a child about it but nothing is where I expect it to be. Why can't stuff be left alone!

:cry:

We might as well make a list. PM me if you don't want to spill it here on the board. Like anything else new, we'll have bugs to iron out.

• 2 weeks later...

Decided to weigh in on the Pogba saga...he's not worth the money on the pitch, but off it, the team probably has a chance of making the money back.  It seems that Man Utd has really valued the commercial side of things more than the club side of things.  I know it's a financial institution and all that.

I'm looking for a secondary club to follow.  One that values the stuff put on the pitch more than their brand marketing.

Any suggestions from this lot?

Archived