• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice work on rebuilding the FMS Awards Archive, Mark. :thup:

Unfortunately, my 'Another Night In Istanbul' short story seems to have been lost in the forum migration. It seems to be the only recent award winner that's been affected. :(

I don't really want to re-post the entire story, but I've got an idea as to how to put it back online for readers to revisit. What are your thoughts, though, if you have any?

Cheers @CFuller wasn't as hard as I thought to do it. Once I worked out how to sort the links out etc

As for your story I really cant understand why your story has been lost in the migration. I know Neil had mentioned that some stories could take time to come back onto the boards but he was on about the stories that started in the very early days of this forum.

Whats your idea about getting the story view mate

The idea is to convert the story to a PDF file and upload it online for others to read and/or download as they so wish. That's one alternative to re-posting a story that's coming up to 18 months old.

Indeed, I might do the same with every season of 'Welcome To Romford'. Reading the forum thread is fine, but the story might be slightly easier to follow and/or revisit in a PDF format.

Just a thought.

2 minutes ago, mark wilson27 said:

Will it be put down as a link (sorry for the silly questions)

Yes. As soon as it's up, I'll post it on here first, and then you can amend the archive link accordingly.

The PDF creator software that came pre-installed with my computer is finally going to get some use! :D

A quick question, seeing as the Ideas and Advice thread (or whatever it was called) seems to be largely dead...

How often is too often when it comes to updating stories? Currently I'm updating Where's Williams? every Monday, Wednesday and Friday, but I have a significant backlog and am thinking that if I continue at this pace, I'll never get round to posting future chapters or indeed other, unrelated stories.

I could easily add to the schedule, but would people lose track if a story updated every weekday? What about twice a day on some days? I know there's no hard and fast rule, but while I'm keen to make progress I also don't just want to rush to the end for the sake of it.

I'm probably overthinking this massively, but any wisdom would be most appreciated - cheers guys!

Just now, EvilDave said:

A quick question, seeing as the Ideas and Advice thread (or whatever it was called) seems to be largely dead...

How often is too often when it comes to updating stories? Currently I'm updating Where's Williams? every Monday, Wednesday and Friday, but I have a significant backlog and am thinking that if I continue at this pace, I'll never get round to posting future chapters or indeed other, unrelated stories.

I could easily add to the schedule, but would people lose track if a story updated every weekday? What about twice a day on some days? I know there's no hard and fast rule, but while I'm keen to make progress I also don't just want to rush to the end for the sake of it.

I'm probably overthinking this massively, but any wisdom would be most appreciated - cheers guys!

I love reading others FM stories/updates so in my opinion I would say every day

3 minutes ago, ajj2410 said:

I love reading others FM stories/updates so in my opinion I would say every day

Thanks AJ - I'm fortunate in that I can spend a lot of time on the forums and so will happily read multiple updates at any given time, so it's good to know I'm not the only one! What I am wary of is posting so much that people with perhaps a little less time don't know where they are in the narrative - it's a fine line to walk...

If you've got a significant backlog, there's surely no harm in adding a day or two to your regular update schedule. I'll certainly read any updates as soon as they're up, especially after Williams' latest move.

I also like to keep to an update schedule. I'll usually post updates to 'House of Flying Daggers' every weekday morning, and when I've finished a season, I'll post up a season round-up over the weekend. After that, I'll take a break for a week or two, and then it's straight onto the next season.

I also like to make sure that I have a large backlog of seasons, but it's almost got to the point where my backlog is perhaps too big. I'm currently playing five-and-a-half seasons ahead of the published story, so I might well take an extended break from FM13 once my latest season's over - partly to clear some of this backlog, and partly to recharge my batteries.

26 minutes ago, EvilDave said:

It's a case of update whenever you want. It'll always get read to be truthful.

For me I tend to update as and when I can. I don't have a set schedule as such. The only thing I have is I try and update at least once a week, but my problem is that I have multiple stories on the go

Thanks @CFuller and @mark wilson27 (this new tagging thing is great)  - I think I'm leaning towards trying for every weekday, as like Mr Fuller I have a significant backlog - four and a half seasons I've written, and another three and a half which I have the notes for and need to write up.

Also, it'll spur me on to get the remainder written and new projects going, which I need to do...

9 hours ago, EvilDave said:

I think if you have a significant chunk ready to go, then every weekday seems alright. The beauty of the written word is that we can always read it at our own pace in our own time.

So I would say, post away.

2 minutes ago, mark wilson27 said:

Guys Im looking for some more players for my FMS Rejects game.

Just drop me a PM with

Player Name:

Position:

Nationality: (I'm using FM13 so some nations might not be available)

Cheers

Do they have to real players or can they be fictional characters?

Pre-ordered FM17 after watching that video. It's the first time I've ever pre-ordered any game; ergo, this'll be the first time I get to play the beta.

Like I mentioned the other day, I'll probably start off as Aston Villa. I'll see how I feel when the beta drops, though.

This is my second year pre-ordering, I like some of the 'new' features, I'm already thinking of how I can use a few of them for story elements.  Last year I used the beta period to test my story and narrative idea and my 'test save' just carried on for the whole year.  I have another idea or two in mind this year that I'm looking forward to testing once the beta is out, hopefully it works out as well. You see there's this bloke named Steven Lewis I know that's getting tired of sitting around inside the house (aka my head) and he's dying to get to work....

14 hours ago, CFuller said:

I'm delighted to say that "Another Night In Istanbul" is now back online, in PDF form.

Feel free to amend the FMS Awards and Archive links, @mark wilson27.

Cheers for the CFuller, both Archive and Awards threads have been updated.

Much Appreciated

Belated thanks for that, Mark.

And this is your 24-hour warning, people - the FM17 beta should be live this time tomorrow night! :)

I could well start work on that newgen 'Next Generation' story I mentioned in passing at the Awards Ceremony later this week. All being well, I might be ready to reveal more about my plans as early as this weekend.

15 minutes ago, CFuller said:

Brexit is in FM17. :thup:

That's about as much as I can say without a mod deleting my post.

As it's in the national press regarding it I cant see it being a problem.... Anyone who has the Football Manager Facebook page will get it on their feed. If I'm wrong regarding this then no doubt I will be told by the powers that be

SI have worked out a load of different scenarios for Brexit, and also for a possible Scottish exit for the UK. I'm looking forward to seeing the possible outcomes.

Am I allowed to post my personal views on Brexit in this thread? If not, I'll keep quiet. I don't want to get into the same trouble I did over on General Discussion.

Just now, mark wilson27 said:

I have no issues with you putting personal views on here as long as it doesn't get into too much of a slanging match with others if they disagree with yourself.

Okay, that's fine. I'll just say that there are plenty who will disagree with myself, because I did vote to leave the European Union. As a 'Brexiteer', I'm looking forward to seeing how the UK's exit from the EU plays out - particularly if major restrictions on EU players obtaining work permits are imposed in the Premier League. That would be quite a challenge.

I'll leave it at that to avoid, like you say, getting into a slanging match. I respect the opinions of those who voted Remain as much as those who, like me, voted Leave.

2 minutes ago, CFuller said:

Okay, that's fine. I'll just say that there are plenty who will disagree with myself, because I did vote to leave the European Union. As a 'Brexiteer', I'm looking forward to seeing how the UK's exit from the EU plays out - particularly if major restrictions on EU players obtaining work permits are imposed in the Premier League. That would be quite a challenge.

I'll leave it at that to avoid, like you say, getting into a slanging match. I respect the opinions of those who voted Remain as much as those who, like me, voted Leave.

I think the potential to get work permits and in effect meaning less abroad players coming to the Premier League could be good thing. We could see a lot more British talent not getting over looked in favour of big named foreign stars. However until we actually leave we will not know what implications will come into effect.

I myself voted too leave and it cant come soon enough. It could in the end be the worse thing we do as a country or it could be the best thing, Time will only tell.

@CFuller you can put all the views you want here, Like I always say people will either disagree or agree with you. The only thing I don't want is it to turn silly, but I am 100% sure it wouldn't with the guys we have on here

4 minutes ago, mark wilson27 said:

I think the potential to get work permits and in effect meaning less abroad players coming to the Premier League could be good thing. We could see a lot more British talent not getting over looked in favour of big named foreign stars. However until we actually leave we will not know what implications will come into effect.

And that's why it's particularly commendable that SI have put in as many possible scenarios as possible.

I have no problem with big-name foreign stars playing in the PL. They are what make our league so great. It's the downright average foreign players who take away places from up-and-coming homegrown talents that really get my goat.

I'm curious to see how it would work in game, and fair play for SI for implementing it. As for the real-world, I'm not sure it would be a good thing for the Premier League. Part of the reason it has such a global appeal is because of the influx of foreigners. If we lose a large part of them due to work-permits or similiar changes, then the money that the PL can generate on a global base could well dry up. You could also argue that the influx of European players have massively improved the standards of the Premier League, both on a skills basis and on a tactical basis.

While I'll admit there's probably a bias against UK-based talent, there's also the feeling that they're overrated and not really as good as they're made out to be. They're certainly overpriced, just because they're English.

*I'm obviously biased being a Dutchman living in the UK and a staunch remainer (mainly for mine and my family's convenience), but hey-ho.

2 hours ago, WLKRAS said:

I'm curious to see how it would work in game, and fair play for SI for implementing it. As for the real-world, I'm not sure it would be a good thing for the Premier League. Part of the reason it has such a global appeal is because of the influx of foreigners. If we lose a large part of them due to work-permits or similiar changes, then the money that the PL can generate on a global base could well dry up. You could also argue that the influx of European players have massively improved the standards of the Premier League, both on a skills basis and on a tactical basis.

While I'll admit there's probably a bias against UK-based talent, there's also the feeling that they're overrated and not really as good as they're made out to be. They're certainly overpriced, just because they're English.

*I'm obviously biased being a Dutchman living in the UK and a staunch remainer (mainly for mine and my family's convenience), but hey-ho.

What affect will Brexit have on yourself then WLKRAS , would you have to get a work permit etc (Obviously you can tell me to mind my own business if you want, I wont take offence)

I won't have to get anything like work permits over here as I applied and got an English passport before the referendum (basically to avoid that whole mess). But at the same time, we travel to Holland a lot to see the family. That's going to be a lot more hassle and I'd imagine more expensive. Also, my son is pretty severely asthmatic and we've had a few hospital stays in Holland. At the moment that all gets paid by the NHS under the E-111 scheme for European Healthcare, but in a case of hard Brexit, we might get faced with a hospital bill that we simply cannot afford.

Also, I still work for a Dutch company, but get paid and more importantly, taxed in this country, under EU reciprocal tax laws (which saves me a chunck, because Dutch Income tax is a fair bit higher). A hard Brexit might not only put my tax-paying status at risk, but might make it unprofitable for my company to keep me on (depending on what deal we end up with).

All in all, it's made for pretty uncertain times, so as far as I'm concerned the longer we wait with Article 50 the better.

(I also don't agree with it from a political standpoint, but that's secondary in this case)

It'll be an interesting development but I think SI has jumped the gun a little given that nothing has actually been confirmed yet and we don't know how the whole thing will play out.

As for what I think, personally I am a supporter of free movement. I believe that talent should be allowed to ply their trade wherever they choose with minimal restrictions. The likes of Payet, Kante, Fabregas and Bellerin (to name a few) would not have been able to ply their trade here if Britain was not in the EU.

30 minutes ago, BenArsenal said:

It'll be an interesting development but I think SI has jumped the gun a little given that nothing has actually been confirmed yet and we don't know how the whole thing will play out.

As for what I think, personally I am a supporter of free movement. I believe that talent should be allowed to ply their trade wherever they choose with minimal restrictions. The likes of Payet, Kante, Fabregas and Bellerin (to name a few) would not have been able to ply their trade here if Britain was not in the EU.

Brexit will happen with it saying the article 50 will be put into effect in March. Not sure how long after that it will take to pan out, potentially two years.

As for the game their will be several scenario's that will happen within the game with one such being that we wont actually leave the EU.

FM17 with Brexit Options

For me I think it could be a very interesting addition to the game

6 hours ago, mark wilson27 said:

Brexit will happen with it saying the article 50 will be put into effect in March. Not sure how long after that it will take to pan out, potentially two years.

As for the game their will be several scenario's that will happen within the game with one such being that we wont actually leave the EU.

FM17 with Brexit Options

For me I think it could be a very interesting addition to the game

I know that Mark but there are still a lot of unknown variables.

1) There isn't a confirmed date for Article 50 to be invoked yet. Miles Jacobson says it will be before March but a lot can still happen from now till then. There is the (remote, admittedly) possibility of a complete U-turn.

2) Once Article 50 is invoked there is a set 2 year deadline for the UK to exit the EU. This is confirmed, and the UK MUST leave within these two years. The deadline can only be extended/postponed with the approval of all the other EU members (highly unlikely this will happen).

3) The two year period is essentially for the UK to negotiate whatever agreements it wants/needs with the other EU nations before exiting. Therefore whatever potential changes to employment and freedom of movement laws involving the UK will only become clearer during this two year period of negotiations, not before.

Which is why I say SI may have jumped the gun. For me I feel that they should only put this in once Article 50 has been invoked and there is a clearer idea of what the UK's stance is on people movement to and from the EU.

EDIT: A bit more here - http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-37507129

I got Carlo Ancelotti's and Alex Ferguson's books about leadership from the library, maybe use them for those FM loading screens. Maybe even use some techniques in my story or game, who knows.

I am certainly now at my peak FM nerdiness.

Archived