Beta vs full game?

Hiya am wondering if someone can help me out. What’s the difference between the beta and the full game? Are you limited to certain leagues etc? I know I can take my save game over. I’ve never pre ordered the game as i have normally got a long term save that am no finished with. 

You may be confusing the beta with the demo- the demo is a small database, 6-month trial version of the full game that is released at the same time as the main release.  The beta is a pre-release version of the game, released about 2 weeks before the full game release and available to those who pre-order from approved distributors and is the same as the full game, but not in its final form.

47 minutes ago, SixPointer said:

Hiya am wondering if someone can help me out. What’s the difference between the beta and the full game? Are you limited to certain leagues etc? I know I can take my save game over. I’ve never pre ordered the game as i have normally got a long term save that am no finished with. 

The Beta version  is a pre-release version of the game, that should be very similar to the released game, but with more errors. This is because you get to play it earlier and hopefully help SI iron out bugs before the actual release date.

31 minutes ago, XaW said:

The Beta version  is a pre-release version of the game, that should be very similar to the released game, but with more errors. This is because you get to play it earlier and hopefully help SI iron out bugs before the actual release date.

This needs to constantly be reiterated.  I guess it's the danger of offering a beta as a pre-order business, but too many people see the beta purely as a way to play early, rather than realising it has the potential to be fairly unstable, and is mostly about making sure the final release is as good as it can be.

Cue frightened calls of "THATS NOT MY JOOOOOOB!!!"!"!"

• Administrators
50 minutes ago, SixPointer said:

thanks guys do beta is basically a final test from the public before the the full game. Say i was to start a career Carry it on to the full game would it still be filled with all the errors?

Most issues that are addressed in updates are save game compatible. The only ones that generally aren't are those that are changing competition schedules/rules etc. Or changes to the database. 

Personally in the past I've started save games in the Pre-Release Beta phase (and even earlier given I'm lucky enough to start a save before) that I've been able to play on without issues for the entirety of my 'career' on that version. 

1 hour ago, forameuss said:

This needs to constantly be reiterated.  I guess it's the danger of offering a beta as a pre-order business, but too many people see the beta purely as a way to play early, rather than realising it has the potential to be fairly unstable, and is mostly about making sure the final release is as good as it can be.

Cue frightened calls of "THATS NOT MY JOOOOOOB!!!"!"!"

Of course, the Beta should be fully playable, but with more bugs than one would expect from a complete full game on release (not that full games come without bugs, or in a working order for that matter... I'm looking at you, SimCity...). I understand that some people think of it as "the full game, but earlier", but you should expect bugs in a Beta, otherwise it would be the full release. 

49 minutes ago, SixPointer said:

thanks guys do beta is basically a final test from the public before the the full game. Say i was to start a career Carry it on to the full game would it still be filled with all the errors?

Yes, it's pretty much the final test. It helps SI iron out bugs they haven't found in-house. Mostly because 10,000 testers are better than 10, or 100, or however many SI have. Also it helps them test in on the same number of computers with different hardware, software and settings.

There are a small chance of getting a bug that will be unfixable, but for the most part, games started in the Beta will work as normal in the full game. In FM18 I played my Beta save into the full version without issue.

1 hour ago, priority76 said:

Slightly off topic, can anyone remember what the first Football Manager was where you could play the beta early? I like to get nostalgic about Football Managers past at this, the most exciting time of year.

Not 100% but I think the first time I downloaded the beta was the first time I didn't get the boxed version of the game - FM13

I'm not sure if beta releases were a thing before this, however. 

Yeah it'll be either FM13 or FM12 when the pre-release betas started as the ones before them didn't require steam so running public betas with the older ones would have been a mess.

And after a quick internet search looks like FM13 was the first one with the beta, with FM12 being the first steam-only version and before that the best we could hope for was either a retailer breaking the street date or the post delivering your copy early so you'd get a days head start :)

11 hours ago, SixPointer said:

The difference? Nothing really.  It's essentially the full game but may contain certain  bugs or issues which *should* be fixed for the main game

3 hours ago, michaeltmurrayuk said:

Yeah it'll be either FM13 or FM12 when the pre-release betas started as the ones before them didn't require steam so running public betas with the older ones would have been a mess.

And after a quick internet search looks like FM13 was the first one with the beta, with FM12 being the first steam-only version and before that the best we could hope for was either a retailer breaking the street date or the post delivering your copy early so you'd get a days head start :)

Had it's advantages too though - for instance, the ability to sell the game on or buy it pre-owned. Plus the demo released at the same time the beta does now and let you play the first half-season.

Archived