FM18 - Dutch Football: Eredivisie and beyond

van Bom

NETH0001.GIF

Thought it might be an idea to keep all discussions on Dutch football for FM18 in one place seeing as there probably aren't enough people playing to have separate club threads. Have been reading some good career updates from ones who are playing with Dutch sides, so hopefully we can discuss how we're all doing and give advice on potential signings etc in this one thread.

I've just started my career game with Willem II with the target of building up a core/solid group of young Dutch players that will hopefully eventually lead me to the title (aim is within 3 season) and then on into Europe. I'll post some updates on how I get on, but am still in pre-season working out my first foray into a strikerless system. So far haven't signed anyone permanently but will be looking to possibly bring in 1 or 2 to bolster our ranks (along with promoting a couple of youth players to the first team)

Has anyone else started/is starting a career game in Holland?

PLaying with Heerenveen and top of the Eredivisie in January; was winning without really playing particularly well until I moved Martin Odegaard upfront and set him as a trequartista in about October. Been flying ever since, he's an absolute assist machine. Really struggled to get anything from him in the AM strata.

In terms of signings, Hicham Khaloua and Harry Wilson (loan) have been excellent as inside forwards, with the latter having an outstanding goal return. 

Been playing Kik Pierie at left back as a wing back (attack) despite his stats being more those of a ball-playing central defender and he's been excellent. Looks a huge prospect. I've brought in Perr Schuurs from Fortuna at centre back who's another precocious Dutch defender and see him and Pierie being my long-term central defensive pairing. 

1 hour ago, fidelitywars said:

PLaying with Heerenveen and top of the Eredivisie in January; was winning without really playing particularly well until I moved Martin Odegaard upfront and set him as a trequartista in about October. Been flying ever since, he's an absolute assist machine. Really struggled to get anything from him in the AM strata.

In terms of signings, Hicham Khaloua and Harry Wilson (loan) have been excellent as inside forwards, with the latter having an outstanding goal return. 

Been playing Kik Pierie at left back as a wing back (attack) despite his stats being more those of a ball-playing central defender and he's been excellent. Looks a huge prospect. I've brought in Perr Schuurs from Fortuna at centre back who's another precocious Dutch defender and see him and Pierie being my long-term central defensive pairing. 

Really interesting to hear you've been getting the best out of Odegaard. He's someone I'm definitely looking at as a future occupant of my AM role (focal point of my attack) going forward. Have you modified his player instructions at all to get the best out of him?

Pierie is an outstanding talent. He forms part of my wishlist of future Dutch signings, along with Schuurs, Floranus and possibly v Drongelen - If I can ever get him back to Holland!

One of my favorite places to manage. Vitesse has been my go-to club of choice for a few editions, but I gave Heracles a try on FM17 and quite enjoyed it. I'm still trying to settle into my first proper FM18 save so mulling both of these clubs as options.

5 hours ago, van Bom said:

Really interesting to hear you've been getting the best out of Odegaard. He's someone I'm definitely looking at as a future occupant of my AM role (focal point of my attack) going forward. Have you modified his player instructions at all to get the best out of him?

Pierie is an outstanding talent. He forms part of my wishlist of future Dutch signings, along with Schuurs, Floranus and possibly v Drongelen - If I can ever get him back to Holland!

From memory, I don't think i've set any additional instructions for Odegaard as the things I want him to do (try lots of killer passes & dribble more) are hard-coded into the trequartista role, I think. Did initially try him as a false 9 but without success before thinking that placing him on an attack role would help him be more influential. He's also contributed a decent number of goals now, despite his poor finishing attribute. Does pose a bit of an issue for me, mind as I was hoping to play him in the AM strata long-term; the aim of this file is to have around 2 years at Heerenveen before ideally taking the Ajax job, at which point i'd be back in for Odegaard - I'd be surprised if I'm able to extend his loan at Heerenveen beyond the current season. The idea of this file is to create a strong, technical team who will dominate Europe mostly with players of Dutch/Belgian and Scandinavian nationality; i'm always tempted to just bring in the most promising South Americans but that ultimately makes the file less challenging/interesting. I see Svilar, De Ligt, Schuurs, Pierie, Berge, Odegaard, Bangiovanni, Isak, Dolberg, Buitink as key targets.

Totally agree on Pierie; he's someone i'll be looking to take with me wherever I go after Heerenveen. Really nice spread of attributes for his age and seems to have a strong mentality too. Very high hopes indeed. 

Anyone who follows Dutch football might already be aware, but Perr Schuurs of Fortuna Sittard looks like one to try to sign. 17 year old defender who is already captain of the Eerste Divisie club and looks to have good potential in FM18. Looks like he could already do a job for an Eredivisie side.

14 hours ago, Bigpapa42 said:

Anyone who follows Dutch football might already be aware, but Perr Schuurs of Fortuna Sittard looks like one to try to sign. 17 year old defender who is already captain of the Eerste Divisie club and looks to have good potential in FM18. Looks like he could already do a job for an Eredivisie side.

He's a really big talent IRL too - had a trial at Liverpool and alot of the big clubs are circling him. Oliseh at Fortuna has put an awful lot of trust/responsibility on him and he's excelled. 

I think this year there are incredible Dutch talents throughout the team; from GK right through to strikers. I don't think it's unrealistic to build a Dutch side that would challenge for Europe - the only potential blocker is finances. For me, I think with scouting costs the way they are, I will be staying local for the time being and will only look to expand once I get into Europe.

Slight change for me; I've started again as VVV as I feel their starting squad is better suited to the system I want to play. Also, have always loved Vito van Crooy  :).

Just in pre-season atm, but have disabled first transfer window budgets so looks like I'll be trying to bring in a few on loan and/or free's.

50 minutes ago, hm86 said:

I'm playing as Ajax and have moved Kaj Sierhuis to the first team and he's been banging them in as an Advanced Forward.

He's a top player. I ran a few long term test saves on the Beta and he turned into a monster in the Eredivisie.

48 minutes ago, van Bom said:

He's a top player. I ran a few long term test saves on the Beta and he turned into a monster in the Eredivisie.

He was running wild in the Jupiler and thought I'd give him a shot. Loving this topic, picked up Pierie and Schuurs and they look like excellent prospects. Going to give Pierie a run in the 1st team.

1 minute ago, Yoeri said:

Okey. I totally understand why you did that. 

How's Che Nunnely doing? He looks like a great prospect.

He's been doing OK for Jong Ajax. He doesn't fit into my formation so I'm trying to re-train him so he does. But as yet he hasn't featured for me.

Another really good player I have noticed in the league is Sherel Floranus.  Bags of potential and already at a decent Eredivisie level. 

I'm playing as Sparta and he is certainly my priority to keep at the club.

image.thumb.png.770d515e0fa5533c0e63499c9da84f87.png

31 minutes ago, Sabine said:

Another really good player I have noticed in the league is Sherel Floranus.  Bags of potential and already at a decent Eredivisie level. 

I'm playing as Sparta and he is certainly my priority to keep at the club.

image.thumb.png.770d515e0fa5533c0e63499c9da84f87.png

Very much on my list of summer targets going into my 2nd season with Heerenveen; one of very few who fit the 'young, talented, homegrown and affordable' bill.

Attribute-wise, he's actually quite similar to former Sparta teammate, Denzel Dumfries (but far more versatile) who i'm looking to off-load to augment the meagre £3m budget afforded by my board to defend my title. Was hoping for far more given the success and profit of last season. What makes it especially frustrating is that 4 of my 5 highest-rated players in that title season were the on-loan brigade of Odegaard, Grujic (who was unbelievable as a segundo volante following his January arrival), Tuanzebe and Harry Wilson. Only Wilson has extended so a significant re-build of my side's spine is on the cards. Pretty concerned that my small squad, strewn of 3 key players, will struggle with the additional demands of Champions' League football...

17 minutes ago, hm86 said:

Loving all these Dutch youth players to try and progress, anyone got any others?

Another huge talent I noticed was a wonderfully named Giovanni Troupée.

image.thumb.png.a7c1513f050be6ad9767ec5db23d6b6e.png

Another full back, I know.

Or how about Guus Til from AZ?

image.thumb.png.30be661c3e7830b43c5eb9d7b73e2027.png

1 hour ago, fidelitywars said:

Very much on my list of summer targets going into my 2nd season with Heerenveen; one of very few who fit the 'young, talented, homegrown and affordable' bill.

Attribute-wise, he's actually quite similar to former Sparta teammate, Denzel Dumfries (but far more versatile) who i'm looking to off-load to augment the meagre £3m budget afforded by my board to defend my title. Was hoping for far more given the success and profit of last season. What makes it especially frustrating is that 4 of my 5 highest-rated players in that title season were the on-loan brigade of Odegaard, Grujic (who was unbelievable as a segundo volante following his January arrival), Tuanzebe and Harry Wilson. Only Wilson has extended so a significant re-build of my side's spine is on the cards. Pretty concerned that my small squad, strewn of 3 key players, will struggle with the additional demands of Champions' League football...

Dumfries was a favourite of mine in FM 17, it seems he's fallen a bit in this version.

I always prefer trying to get squads that have little or no loanee players who make a huge difference to the team.  Especially when you can't buy them.

2 hours ago, fidelitywars said:

As in FM17, Vitesse's Thomas Buitink looks a quality young striker; been quoted £5m going into the 2018/19 season which sadly, is well out of my budget currently. 

Vitesse have some solid quality, and have for a couple of seasons. In addition to Buitnk, they have Julian Lelieveld, Milot Rashica, and Mitchell van Bergen that are all good prospects. Those prospects are part of what makes the a fun save.

4 hours ago, Bigpapa42 said:

Vitesse have some solid quality, and have for a couple of seasons. In addition to Buitnk, they have Julian Lelieveld, Milot Rashica, and Mitchell van Bergen that are all good prospects. Those prospects are part of what makes the a fun save.

I'll need to scout a few of these, I've got a bid in for Buitink just now. 

As if I haven't got enough Saves on the go this year(Lazio, Rangers) I have now started an Ajax Save while taking the extra challenge of managing the Netherlands national side aswell. 

It's gonna be the usual youth focused save except it's gonna be a tribute to Johan and his football ethos, I want to build my sides from the youth to the first team all the way to the national side in his image. 

As usual Ajax have a insane amount of prospects but they aren't alone and there seems to be a real promising generation currently in the Eridivise. Signing wise I will be of course aiming domestic but I also have a constant attraction to raiding Scandinavia and this year seems to be no different with a number of real gems over there. 

Has anyone playing as Ajax sold Dolberg and if so what type of fee as I'm trying to gage how long to hold on to him and when his stock will be at its highest?

Dolberg constantly attracts interest in my save. I've tied him up to a hefty long term deal with a £120m minimum fee release clause. I struggled to keep Van de Beek every time one of Europe's elite showed any interest he wanted to leave. Ended up getting £28m from Bayern for him. 

13 hours ago, coop76 said:

Any good teams in lower leagues?

There's plenty of good options in the Jupiler League. If you want to go lower than that, then you'll need to download a custom DB with the semi-pro/Amateur leagues setup.

I've just restarted with VVV who have just got promoted but have a decent squad, so should comfortably stay up this season. Anyone that is playing with a lower end Eredivisie side; I'd recommend looking to get in Dorsch from Bayern and Akkaynak from Leverkusen - got both in with no fee paying, only wages and both will be DM/CM starters for me this season.

On 17/11/2017 at 16:20, Sabine said:

Another huge talent I noticed was a wonderfully named Giovanni Troupée.

image.thumb.png.a7c1513f050be6ad9767ec5db23d6b6e.png

Another full back, I know.

Or how about Guus Til from AZ?

image.thumb.png.30be661c3e7830b43c5eb9d7b73e2027.png

Dumfries was a favourite of mine in FM 17, it seems he's fallen a bit in this version.

I always prefer trying to get squads that have little or no loanee players who make a huge difference to the team.  Especially when you can't buy them.

Myron Boadu is another big talent from AZ IRL and in-game too. If you've got the cash, then definitely go check him out. Although I think he is wanted by alot of big clubs at the start of the game.

Promoted Ekkelenkamp from Jong Ajax as his stats are cracking for a 17 year old! I don't have much knowledge of Ajax so no idea if this a known talent or just random stats. He's been playing in cup games and holding his own. 

11 hours ago, hm86 said:

Promoted Ekkelenkamp from Jong Ajax as his stats are cracking for a 17 year old! I don't have much knowledge of Ajax so no idea if this a known talent or just random stats. He's been playing in cup games and holding his own. 

He's a great talent at Ajax IRL. Plays for the U19 team and has had a fantastic start to the season, also plays for the National youth team too so you've got a star on your hands with him :thup:

2 hours ago, DefinitelyTaylor said:

I’ve always wanted to start a save in the Jupiter League but have never got round to it, I think I’m going to change that this year. Not too sure who I’ll go yet, any recommendations?

If you want a challenge, RKC Waalwijk. 

Or simulate two seasons and see who gets promoted?

Like almost every year started with Ajax to get to know the game. Won the Eredivisie the first two years and now just started my third season. Mateo Cassierra has been a real surprise for me. Really challenging Dolberg and now in my third season he's my CF while Dolberg is the IF on the left.

In terms of youngsters only Victor Jensen had really gained a rotation spot and starting more games now. Some other players like Ekkelenkamp, Nunnely and Eiting have had a chance but are just not good enough in my system (4-2-3-1 with two DM's). For the defenders i bought some South American players since i this the talents are just not good enough. 

On ‎2017‎-‎11‎-‎27 at 03:42, Dan-smissen said:

is the ajax staff situ going to be sorted??? 

such a bum ache at start!!!

It can't be sorted by SI. Its talked about in the Netherlands Data thread. But take @hm86 up on his offer or look around for solutions.

• 7 months later...

Hi guys, looking for non major European league for a long interesting save with the hopes of challenging in Europe. Is the Dutch league competitive? Suppose i take a mid tier Dutch side. 

For example i used to like the Scottish League, but the issue is whether you take Celtic or Rangers or any other team, after 1-2 seasons you have no competition. 

On 14/07/2018 at 17:00, jeesh said:

Hi guys, looking for non major European league for a long interesting save with the hopes of challenging in Europe. Is the Dutch league competitive? Suppose i take a mid tier Dutch side. 

For example i used to like the Scottish League, but the issue is whether you take Celtic or Rangers or any other team, after 1-2 seasons you have no competition. 

If start off as a mid-table team it should be competitive for the first few seasons. So perhaps join as an Utrecht or Vitesse, for example. If you start as Ajax, PSV or Feyenoord it can be quite easy to dominate the league, but I've rarely seen that in my saves when I've managed another team in the Eredvisie as those clubs usually lose their best players and managers every season. On that note, be warned playing in a non-major European league means it can be difficult to keep hold of your best players, even if you are winning all the domestic honours AND doing well in Europe.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven’t really got into FM18, but after reading this thread I’ve started as Vitesse. Enjoying pre season so far but need to strengthen a few areas. Particularly need a Head of Youth Development, any recommendations? 

Don't know if anyone has mentioned - haven't seen any - but Renato Tapia and Frenkie De Jong worked out as very good Champions League signings for my rangers team. Sunk a bit of cash into them but sold for more. Frenkie worked well in beside John McGinn and Tapia just behind him. Narrowly lost to Man U in the CL quarter finals.

• 6 months later...

I realize this is a 2018 thread, but how is the Dutch Eredivisie for a save? 

I am interested in a mid to top tier team-definitely not a top 4 side. Perhaps a club with good youth system. Challenge domestically, and then make a fairytale run in Europe

Archived