[FM 17 Sign-Up] Race to Win the World Cup - Youth Experiment

Race to Win the World Cup - Youth Experiment/Sign-Up

The goal of this sign-up is to get the nation you pick to be the first of all the nations to win the World Cup! There's other ways to win in the end, but that will be covered in the rules.

1. While I'm not going to set any restricting rules on the country you choose, please try to pick a small, lesser known country. There's not much point in this experiment if someone chooses Spain. Be adventurous with choice! Think Kosovo could start churning out the best in the world? Try to go with them! Maybe you've always fancied Fiji or wished Brunei would finally figure their stuff out? Totally cool! I want this save to take a long time before it ends.
  2. The sign-up will end when one of the chosen teams wins the World Cup. However, there will still be a points based system so that a lucky World Cup winning team doesn't necessarily win the save. Points will be covered further down.
  3. Each country chosen will have their youth recruitment and training maxed out. We need to give the small nations a little push, eh?
  4. There will be an interactive element that will be revealed later. I'm totally not still trying to figure that part out, I'm just trying to keep up the suspense. You believe me, right? Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  5. If you want to see more than I'm posting, just say it! I want to make this as interactive and interesting an experience as possible!

Points Breakdown:

World Cup - 40

Continental Competition - 10 (Euro Cup, Asian Cup, Africa Cup of Nations, Copa América, CONCACAF Golf Cup, and Nations Cup)

First Team to Qualify for World Cup - 5

Team Member wins Ballon d'Or - 5

Top Five Ranking at the End of the Game - 10

Defeating Another Sign-Up Member in a Match - 3

Winning by Five or More Goals - 2

World Cup Runner Up: -10 (no pressure)

Any other ideas for winning points? Suggest it and I'll definitely consider it!

50 minutes ago, -Ironhide- said:

@tastaiwan

I also think that the continental competitions should be worth more than 5. 

Let's be mathematical. There are 6 footballing continents. The World Cup is worth 40 points.

40/6= 6.666666667

6.66666667 rounds to 7 or at least 10? 

I originally had it at 8 and the World Cup at 20 but wanted to put more value on the World Cup. What you say makes sense, I'll try to balance it a little.

@Human @GloryFan2002 I've got you both in :D

[Edit] I've also brought up the value of being in the top 5 at the end because of how difficult that actually is.

Poland and Wales are both the most likely to win this because of their massive ability, I could increase their facilities to a lower extent to try and scale it so they reach the top level at the same time as the other countries. Otherwise you've all been added. I might try to handicap them.

Edit: I could also divide countries into categories based on their initial leagues and ability and scale down points so that what smaller/initially worse nations do have greater value.

I've also developed a bit of a structure and have a few bits of information to add. At the beginning, I will give a relatively detailed account of each nation so you have an idea of where you're at. This will also help me look at who is divided into which category. I my implement a system where you can get promoted to a tier above you, allowing me to help teams with more distance to rise to get more points early on in smaller values. I'll most likely make a new points system to accompany this system later. At the end of each calendar year I'll post another, more brief update with ranking, key players, key youth prospects, league ranking, and award winners (Ballon d'Or). Additionally, of course, is every game of importance. This is where things get interesting. Before each international break, I will post every game that will be played by one of the picked nations, and anyone who wants to can bet on how each game will end: win, draw, loss. This will be a massive quantity of games, so it'll be difficult to get them all right. However, if you can correctly choose the end result for 80% of the games, I will give you an option of three players of my choice that you can choose to change to your nationality. You may pick one of these three players. That percentage is subject to change if winning this privilege is too common. I hope these new rules are interesting, it took some thought to come up with something unique.

5 minutes ago, tastaiwan said:

I've also developed a bit of a structure and have a few bits of information to add. At the beginning, I will give a relatively detailed account of each nation so you have an idea of where you're at. This will also help me look at who is divided into which category. I my implement a system where you can get promoted to a tier above you, allowing me to help teams with more distance to rise to get more points early on in smaller values. I'll most likely make a new points system to accompany this system later. At the end of each calendar year I'll post another, more brief update with ranking, key players, key youth prospects, league ranking, and award winners (Ballon d'Or). Additionally, of course, is every game of importance. This is where things get interesting. Before each international break, I will post every game that will be played by one of the picked nations, and anyone who wants to can bet on how each game will end: win, draw, loss. This will be a massive quantity of games, so it'll be difficult to get them all right. However, if you can correctly choose the end result for 80% of the games, I will give you an option of three players of my choice that you can choose to change to your nationality. You may pick one of these three players. That percentage is subject to change if winning this privilege is too common. I hope these new rules are interesting, it took some thought to come up with something unique.

These new rules are very interesting and they are great ideas. I generally can't wait to take part in such a well thought-out system. This is going to be awesome!

14 minutes ago, -Ironhide- said:

These new rules are very interesting and they are great ideas. I generally can't wait to take part in such a well thought-out system. This is going to be awesome!

I'm glad you think so!

@HawkAussie I'll add you in when I get home.

Rule Addition #2: Presenting to you now what I call the "All-In Clause". This is more for towards the end of the experiment, but on any given World Cup year, you can choose to go balls to the wall and back your country to win the cup. In doing so, winning the world cup will grant you 100 points, but losing it will take 50 points away from your score, so you better be confident. Of course, going all in should be a confident power move, so if you activate this "clause", I will inject your squad with a few players of world class talent. Capitalizing off of the clause is going to be crucial, as if you don't win it you almost certainly move out of contention for winning this experiment. As such, I will offer you 10 players, and you may choose three. To avoid the exploitation of this clause to get your squad to be very good very quickly, the players added to your team through this clause will be removed at the end of the year. Additionally, there is a precursory requirement of having gotten out of the group stages in the World Cup to activate this clause. The clause can be activated right after I give the yearly update for each nation.

I'll be back soon for one final rule addition...

Alright, this last rule is pretty simple. To aid the growth of smaller nations, every year the three lowest ranked teams can choose one player from the three highest ranked teams, as in last takes from first, second to last takes from second, third to last takes from third. The player chosen has to be in the bottom third (I will specify which players are eligible every time) of the squad in terms of value because I don't want to gut the top teams of their national icons, and the player must be at least 24, as high quality youngsters on the national team usually have low value and may fall into that bracket. That's it, it starts on Monday!

Archived