Well done!

18 hours ago, Rikulec said:

Great effort. :thup:

16 hours ago, Keano16 said:

:applause:Yes man! 

The Portugal squad all say thanks.

16 hours ago, ManUtd1 said:

Another trophy, and Auntie Maureen must be hearing the footsteps! :applause:

2028 has been a good year for me on that front, the next update will also show another trophy. Now only 3956 footsteps to go!

KlYK9Cx.jpg

14 hours ago, john1 said:

Fantastic to see you won the Champions League over Real Madrid :cool: 

Thanks... I'm starting to prepare the attack on the next Champions League now. ;) 

mLHirv3.png

Olympic Games - Cape Town 2028 - Tournament review

Despite a lot of recent massive success for Portugal at many different levels (winning the Euros twice, winning the World Cup), this is a new achievement - it's Portugal's first ever footballing Olympic medal, and it's straight for the gold!

Statistics and best player

dva0GyK.jpg

Danilo Varela - Winger-turned-fullback João Charrua got the best ratings, but he wasn't even a regular starter - the Barcelona striker Danilo Varela, brought in as one of 3 over-23 experienced stars, proved every bit the world class player he is with 6 goals and 4 assists in just 5 games of which he was a starter only 3 times. Unsurprisingly, he'd win a few awards as I'll detail next.

Awards

WgED0k7.jpg

2q49k2f.jpg

RF7PeE6.jpg

vP1f0f8.jpg

Portugal and Danilo Varela dominance. You may notice a couple notably Mexicans here too... specially a certain new HSV player and a certain old HSV player...

Resignation

oyCDH7m.jpg

My work is done here. Weirdly, the U23 aren't disbanded for the next 4 years as you'd expect - they have a friendly scheduled for October.

XKXz4Dl.jpg

I decided to cash in on this Tinajero clause. By my math it'd only be worth it to pass on this if he gets sold by 100M€ or more, so whilst that's a possibility I'd rather bank on the cash early.

814Y31y.jpg

More interesting odds. Fabián's one of the favourites - he bloody well should after the 15 goals last year - but the thing that interests me is there's another 2 players I've managed before in this career here! I just keep on running into the same names in contention for everything...

4 hours ago, DodgeeD said:

Congrats on striking gold at the Olympics!

2 hours ago, Benjoe said:

Great work at the Olympics! 

Thanks.

Maybe I should've stayed in international management rather than return to Germany. On the start of the new season I've already lost points to Furth and to Maccabi Tel-Aviv. :idiot:

#shame

k0tSawJ.png

August-September 2028

This time we didn't leave it too much to do for the final month of the transfer window, beyond clearing out some excedentary players. We would loan out Valdecir, Amer Jahic 25B, Marko Uzelac, Bronislav Divis amongst others, which reduced the first team squad to a rare sane number of 24 players. Gladbach were particularly active as they picked up 3 of these players. We also sold U21 striker Alen Kahrimanovic for 925K€.

There was only signing, for the future:

VgzAYbD.jpg

At the affordable price of 180K€ this 17 years old Serbian prospect seems to have been a good deal.

Competitions

LzlbN4i.jpg

We kicked off the real season with 2 supercups. The first one was an actual European trophy, against Europa League winners Tottenham. In a weirdly square pitch, at the Via del Mare in Lecce, Italy, we got off to an awful start conceding the first goal in minute 2, but by half-time we were already 3-1 up and Jordy Ngongé would still add another in the 2nd half. A great, dominant win that gave us a trophy we were missing in our collection, fullback Russell Fillion - on insane form so far this season - picking up the POM award.

HfkIJIN.jpg

We would not be so lucky against Bayern in the domestic supercup. This time we got the early goal, but Bayern equalised right before half-time and then Ousmane Dembelé scored a magnificent freekick right after the break. It's a 2-1 defeat just like last year and I'm still missing this trophy.

The Bundesliga started better. We danced past Stuttgart and Leverkusen with comfortable wins, before facing Bayern again. In a dull match, an early long range missile by Emiliano Diana would be rather surprisingly enough - 1-0 win and the revenge over the Supercup defeat. Weirdly, we could deal with Bayern but not with Furth as we dropped points there. As if to prove ourselves, the team got back from that with a savage 7-1 demolition of Hannover, new signing Alfonso Martínez scoring a beautiful poker. Wolfsburg were much harder but we unlocked them in the very last minute in a new 3-4-2-1ish formation, to remain undefeated in the league so far.

We are also undefeated in the Champions League but it's a poor start. Amusingly/tragically, we allowed Maccabi Tel-Aviv to equalise twice as we let the Israelis go back home with a point. Away to Juve it was much the same thing, Fillion as inspired as ever got the first but the Old Lady equalised later.

In the cup, poor old Seligenporten got smashed 6-0 with braces on debut from both Alfonso Martínez and Nicolás Mussin, and also a brace of own goals.

AxqQae6.jpg

It's a good but not amazing start as we look good on the Bundesliga, and clinched the UEFA Super Cup but have dropped the ball on the Champions League and in the German Supercup. A long season is ahead of us and we're looking to sum up as many trophies as possible. But winning back the Bundesliga would possibly be the most important thing to me, although I don't know if I'm prepared to risk our CL run for it.

9 hours ago, deltablue said:

Great Olympics win.

If nothing else it makes for a bizarrely diverse CV. What other manager can brag of having the Champions League, the Libertadores and the... Olympics? :cool:

Most managers don't win the Olympics because that's left for secondary youth managers, but let's not bring up that point. :herman:

By the way, from the bottom row of the competitions screenshot above, you might guess that I'm not too thrilled that Russell Fillion's on his penultimate year of contract, and won't renew without reducing his release clause substantially. Worse still, he's under intense scouting from Man City. He's playing insanely good football but if I want to make any money at all on him, I'll have to sell him at the end of this season, best case scenario.

1 hour ago, noikeee said:

Needless to say, this is not how I imagined this Champions League group to look like at this stage:

hMpok51.jpg

:idiot:

Crazy stuff, but at least you're top. Who do you have left?

6 hours ago, ManUtd1 said:

Crazy stuff, but at least you're top. Who do you have left?

We go to Israel, then host Juve.

Considering Maccabi just beat Juve, I'm not entirely sure which of the 2 matches is harder. :idiot:

k0tSawJ.png

October-November 2028

Competitions

DiU2Mth.jpg

Our Bundesliga campaign of pursuit of a near-perfect Bayern continued with a narrow 2-1 win over Freiburg, until we faced a tough test in Dortmund away... and slipped. In a very even match Dortmund got the only goal and that was it. This put us a few points back, we even slipped behind Dortmund, but we'd recover - 4 relatively comfortable wins over Köln, Mainz, Karlsruhe and Bremen allowed us to tie with Bayern at the front. However, when going to Leipzig, legs still tired from the Bremen match 3 days earlier, we could only get a goalless draw and Bayern opened up a 2 points lead again.

In the Champions League we had it all to do after dropping points to Maccabi and Juve. Zenit proved exceptionally tough - we could only confirm the win in Russia in minute 87, and they even managed to squeeze a 0-0 out of us at our home. However when we went to Israel we finally went up a gear - big 4-0 win and we're through now.

In the cup, we've not been very lucky with the draws but just about did the minimum service at Hoffenheim with a difficult 2-1 win, and now have to face Köln away.

GqzgNBE.jpg

We survived a weirdly tough CL group, and only a sensational Bayern is denying us in the league (with a glorious Tinajero, sigh). However, I've got a bad feeling about this season. Our increase in reputation thanks to winning the CL, has led to teams being far more respectful of us, and I'm having to adjust. I think we're past the glory days of the Shy3HB easily rampaging through the space being left by the opposition. It can still do the business sometimes, but often we've needed to adjust by either going even more aggressive (Control mentality), or switching to the Uruguayan Tiki-Taka.

Next month will be pretty special as we compete in the Club World Cup. Famously I failed to qualify for this competition with Nacional after winning the Libertadores due to a bug (which I believe is still active, the South America representative is random), so I really want to take the opportunity now.

zXUN5Ca.jpg

Mats Hummels, **** manager. His managerial career so far consists of 2 years at Paderborn, sacked, then 1 year at Union Berlin, relegated, sacked. He leaves them 11th in the 3.Liga.

RZR43rG.jpg

Oh dear. Wow. I'm pretty bummed about this. They essentially converted all of their chances from early on, and we had to chase the match. Massive chance wasted to become world champions.

The "best" thing is that meanwhile Bayern won 3 more matches in the Bundesliga. Sure, we have 3 games in hand, but we're also 11 points behind now.

On 29/06/2017 at 09:32, wynter said:

Ooft, unlucky in the final. Hopefully you can get back there next year and go for it, unless you leave of course. 

Tbh I'm not sure we can pull it off again. It's a bit bizarre as the team is stronger than ever (honestly we've got so much talent we should be dominating world football now) but I feel as if we're in need of some soul-searching. Success has brought new challenges... everyone is scared to death of us and give us no space to play our football now!

I compare our results to Bayern, Bayern often just smash everyone 4-1 7-1 at will. Us... we scrap by 2-1 wins every week. Until the day the ball doesn't go in and we lose points to them. I think it's a result of our style of play, Bayern play with wingers, 4-4-2, 4-2-3-1, they just attack all day with lots of width and brute force and don't give a **** if they concede one. Us, we're far more controlled and try to pass around, and we're more naturally congested as none of our tactics use the wings that much. Probably explains why Fillion is now getting loads of assists this season, the opposition now completely shuts off the middle and he's our only wide threat.

In the CWC final midway through the match I went wider and used another conventional WB in the other flank. It seemed a mildly promising tweak but the damage was done earlier and we failed to get the 3rd goal.

18 hours ago, Lenzar said:

5 English teams in the CL last 16! I guess West Ham won the Europa?

Tottenham won the Europa... I know that from memory because we faced them in the UEFA Supercup! I'll have a look later of what the hell is up with West Ham.

Your observations make a lot of sense. I have two saves ongoing, on one I play a narrow 4-1-3-2, and it seems the narrow formation allows the opposition team to keep their defence compact and block shots, and when you player has a clear cut chance he is under pressure so he rushes it or plays a weak shot. Then as the game progresses, players start getting nervous because you haven't thumped them yet which leads to other problems.

:seagull:

In my other save, I play a 1-4-4-1 where the 1 is a libero, and the fullbacks and wingers seem to create space by drawing defenders onto them, the central midfielders and striker always seem to have space. But the first save is in Europe and the second is in Africa so there may be a problem with the comparison.

I do like narrow formations and the advantages for me outweigh the disadvantages, but it does seem that width can be problem against packed defenses. Maybe it's because I use fullbacks and not wingbacks.

54 minutes ago, kidthekid said:

Your observations make a lot of sense. I have two saves ongoing, on one I play a narrow 4-1-3-2, and it seems the narrow formation allows the opposition team to keep their defence compact and block shots, and when you player has a clear cut chance he is under pressure so he rushes it or plays a weak shot. Then as the game progresses, players start getting nervous because you haven't thumped them yet which leads to other problems.

:seagull:

In my other save, I play a 1-4-4-1 where the 1 is a libero, and the fullbacks and wingers seem to create space by drawing defenders onto them, the central midfielders and striker always seem to have space. But the first save is in Europe and the second is in Africa so there may be a problem with the comparison.

I do like narrow formations and the advantages for me outweigh the disadvantages, but it does seem that width can be problem against packed defenses. Maybe it's because I use fullbacks and not wingbacks.

Thing is, there's a reason why I've played narrow formations my entire career. For one, they're just more versatile and I just don't like classic wingers, they don't lead to my kind of football and they corner you to a limited, one-dimensional branch of tactics. I could use inside forwards but the same issues with narrowness would come up, plus inside forward regens are frustratingly rare (as I've found in my other FM16/17 careers).

Then I feel narrow formations, in this match engine, by overcrowding the midfield, vastly outperform tactics with wingers. To a degree that's almost unrealistic. The exception appears to be the particular, specific scenario I am in now, where we're overwhelming favourites!

I very much agree with you that the advantages outweight the disadvantages.

On 29/06/2017 at 09:32, wynter said:

Ooft, unlucky in the final. Hopefully you can get back there next year and go for it, unless you leave of course. 

Well apparently my assman does think we will be here next year. Cocky bastard. :lol:

nKJykiv.jpg

Yearly awards, we got 2 of our stars in the World XI, more than deserved for both:

yfFQ013.jpg

However we missed out on making an impact on the Ballon d'Or. The internal Man Utd Mbappé-Makeev rivalry remains, with the Frenchman getting his 5th award. Mbappé and Makeev have won the last 7 editions of this trophy. My former player Dariusz Furlepa makes it to 3rd place again:

KETzDMc.jpg

k0tSawJ.png

December 2028-January 2029

My board gave me a huge transfer budget but I decided not to really use it in a fairly quiet Winter. I hired two kids and a backup keeper and that was it.

tBTsgVS.jpg

The new backup keeper, I did pay 4M€ for him! The reasoning here is pretty simple: he's a model pro and we were lacking a keeper tutor. I'm pretty annoyed that I failed to loan either of the 2 youth kids I had as backup keepers though: Patrick Ahlburg and Emanuel Ramos 25A.

R4kSt9V.jpg

We seem to be hiring young Ivorian CBs by the bucketloads lately. This kid came on a free, well thanks very much then.

Zs7naF3.jpg

We paid cash here for this Croatian AMC, 350K€. Not sure he's a huge prospect but I think we can make at least some profit here.

Competitions

2jjrrL6.jpg

Let's get the big blunder out of the way. In the FIFA Club World Cup, I thought we were looking good after comfortably dispatching Shanghai SIPG 3-0, then we met Cruzeiro in the Stade Olympique in Tunisia for the big final, and it turned out to be a rather damning performance. It's true that we restricted Cruzeiro to just 5 shots, but they scored with the very first of them within the 1st minute - a long shot - and added another 2 goals in very quick, very effective attacks. We also scored 2 goals in a very open first half, but frustratingly failed to add the 3rd even though we camped on their area the 2nd half. Cruzeiro are world champions, not us.

In the Bundesliga, the calendar was completely screwed up thanks to our little diversion to Tunisia. We smashed Hertha 3-0, and after the winter break fulfilled our duties by beating both Leverkusen and Gladbach away, but thanks to missing out on a few matches we're now 8 points behind Bayern, with 2 games in hand.

MiQSJM9.jpg

The Club World Cup really does hurt, and this season is looking very hard. We're actually scoring an average of points-per-match much higher than last year's, but Bayern is still doing it at an even higher level, and we've also been unlucky with the Champions League draw, having to face Mourinho's Utd and his insane Mbappé-Makeev duo upfront.

I feel we need to step up a further level, and am not happy with how we're trying to pick apart the ever-more-defensive tactics thrown at us. I've been experimenting in the winter break friendlies with a new 4-2-3-1 narrow (3xAMCs) and unleashed it against Gladbach but even if we won I was pretty unconvinced. I've also got another idea so there's plenty of experimentation being done to try to elevate us to proper dominating world class status, which is where we should be really with the squad we have available these days.

Starting to have the same problem with my Aberdeen team domestically in my current save. Past two years I've been a scoring machine but this season struggling abit. Still top of the league though but thinking of tacking one striker out and boosting my AMC's like you've done but then I've already signed two very promising strikers for next season that will need game time :rolleyes:

k0tSawJ.png

Youth intake 2029

bJtXtCK.jpg

bVGAbhp.jpg

qvU7W0h.jpg

TsvWgF6.jpg

I'm not very happy with this intake. The guy with more potential is a winger (which we don't use) which can't pass, shoot, or tackle (so good luck retraining to anything else). Then we've got a goalie, as if we needed yet more youth prospect goalies with Patrick Ahlburg and Emanuel Ramos 25A both as first team members now, plus Ervis Hysa 27C also looking very promising. The AMC might be pretty good but we've produced more promising midfielders in the past.

13 hours ago, metallimuse said:

Starting to have the same problem with my Aberdeen team domestically in my current save. Past two years I've been a scoring machine but this season struggling abit. Still top of the league though but thinking of tacking one striker out and boosting my AMC's like you've done but then I've already signed two very promising strikers for next season that will need game time :rolleyes:

It can suck, but it's also kind of an interesting challenge how dynamic the whole game world proves to be. My tactics have been developed through the course of my entire career and have been pretty successful in certain occasions, but still as circumstances change they stop being as good, I have been forced to adapt many times, and I'll even admit I'm finding myself a bit lost now!

3 hours ago, argento said:

Unlucky in the World Club Cup, good to see you rising up the hall of fame stats.  Mourinho is on notice!

Mourinho is on very close notice but that'll be a matter for the next update. ;) 

s9ibMp6.jpg

Oh dear. I can't believe it - Mourinho had the last laugh here. After a first leg in which we were comfortably winning 3-0, and still ended up winning 4-2, I thought we'd scrap through, but we completely disintegrated in the 2nd half in Old Trafford. And with setbacks also happening in other competitions, it's unfortunately looking like it'll be a failed season. :( 

xc5dHU3.jpg

The only good news recently. I'd rather not have the release clause but it was already at this value before. Fillion ran out of contract next year and has been utterly magnificent, so it was absolutely key to tie him up.

k0tSawJ.png

February-March 2029

Competitions

VirdwKU.jpg

In the Bundesliga, the month of February was spent still trying to catch up with the calendar after we lost a few matches playing the Club World Cup. We beat Stuttgart to make it 3 wins in a row past the winter break, but the next match we were up against Bayern - a critical match for the title. Insisting on my new 4-2-3-1 narrow gave us very little reward - clear 2-0 defeat and we even suffered the humiliation of the 2nd goal being scored by Tinajero. Massive blow in the title race.

By this stage even Dortmund was starting to sniff a 2nd place, but thankfully even if the calendar was stupid busy, at least it gave us a few easy fixtures here - Fürth, Hoffenheim, Hannover were all beaten pretty heavily. Away at Schalke was a much tougher fixture and even if we went 2 goals up, we only came out of it with a draw - a good result in seasons gone past, a bad result this year in which every single lost point is a huge blow vs an immaculate Bayern. Wolfsburg and Freiburg, we beat them both 3-1 before another big match vs Dortmund, 2nd vs 3rd. It proved to be one of our most inspired performances of the season, massive 6-2 win. Only for us to lose points again, away at Köln who have been kind of our bogey team for a few seasons already.

To further prove that, our cup campaign also ended at Köln. Having to slightly rotate the side in advance of the match vs Bayern, I also debuted a new 4-1-3-2 variant and it... didn't work. 1-0 loss and that's yet another competition gone.

In the Champions League, I was pleasantly surprised as, on the back of 2 demoralizing losses to Köln and Bayern that had ruined us the cup and the league, we found ourselves beating Mourinho's Man Utd 3-0 at home! Frustratingly, they pulled 2 goals back but a great long shot from Emiliano Diana still made it 4-2, a good if not entirely comfortable result to take to Old Trafford. And by half-time in Old Trafford it was 1-1... only for Utd to utterly smash us in a humilating 2nd half. 5-1 defeat, Mourinho coming well on top, and our last serious chance of some silverware for this season gone.

15jT343.jpg

I'm afraid the only thing we'll win this season is the UEFA Supercup. Bad matches against Cruzeiro, Köln and Man Utd have respectively squandered the FIFA Club World Cup, the DFB-Pokal, and the Champions League; and even if we aren't doing horribly in the league with a very respectable 20 wins from 26 and only 2 defeats, a supreme Bayern has given us little chance. For the remaining 2 months, all I can hope for is that Bayern slips a few times and let their 7 points advantage go, but it's not very realistic.

It feels like a bit of a dead end at the moment. I've got a magnificent squad finetuned to my needs, a series of systems that have done great for me in the past, but we're not managing to unlock that last inch of performance. We need to evolve to something extra that can pull that off, but I'm just not finding it yet.

@noikeee

To be fair, most of the teams you have lost to or are playing catch up with have superb players as well (especially Bayern and Man Utd). Your operating model is different from them; you will not buy the best players for exorbitant prices (well, maybe bar Tinajero). So do not be too hard on yourself. 

Could a good set piece taker or two help? Scoring the first goal through a free kick against a park a bus team may unlock them. 

Keep up the good work! 

5 hours ago, inthisspace said:

@noikeee

To be fair, most of the teams you have lost to or are playing catch up with have superb players as well (especially Bayern and Man Utd). Your operating model is different from them; you will not buy the best players for exorbitant prices (well, maybe bar Tinajero). So do not be too hard on yourself. 

Could a good set piece taker or two help? Scoring the first goal through a free kick against a park a bus team may unlock them. 

Keep up the good work! 

I don't think the bit on "not buying for exorbitant players" is strictly true. We're starting to compete on that front now too. Proof: the 45,5M€ we paid this Summer for Alfonso Martínez plus 33,5M€ for Granit Rrapaj, two of Dortmund's best players. Plus while yes Bayern and Utd are crazy, I've now reached a point where I search all world for players that can improve us and don't find them anymore - we already have specialised world class players for every position I want.

It's fine margins though. We're actually doing a lot better in the league this season, lots more points than last year and points-per-match it's an average that would've crowned us champions most years. It's just that Bayern are insane... but if Bayern can do it, it means it's possible. That they're doing it on the back of a player we sold to them is just rubbing salt in the wound.

I'll have a look at set piece takers, by memory I remember Mauro Romero scoring a couple direct FKs lately so we're not weak there neither!

23 hours ago, noikeee said:
k0tSawJ.png

Youth intake 2029

bVGAbhp.jpg

I'm not very happy with this intake. The guy with more potential is a winger (which we don't use) which can't pass, shoot, or tackle (so good luck retraining to anything else). Then we've got a goalie, as if we needed yet more youth prospect goalies with Patrick Ahlburg and Emanuel Ramos 25A both as first team members now, plus Ervis Hysa 27C also looking very promising. The AMC might be pretty good but we've produced more promising midfielders in the past.

As if it weren't bad enough, he is ambidextrous! Might as well bin him (and send him to the Congo!). But tbh. I once had a prospect looking like him, in FM15 or 16, who I made into a striker with great succes. I the talent is big enough I don't see a problem with his stats at striker i.e. since his technique, speed, agility, flair, dribble and such can still be used. Just need to up that finishing a lot! :lol: 

23 hours ago, noikeee said:

Honestly, selling this guy to Bayern last year was the worst idea ever.

pRsYM4F.jpg

yqV73xj.jpg

Ay, caramba!

I won't say it again.

Image result for reverse smiley png

20 minutes ago, Benjoe said:

As if it weren't bad enough, he is ambidextrous! Might as well bin him (and send him to the Congo!). But tbh. I once had a prospect looking like him, in FM15 or 16, who I made into a striker with great succes. I the talent is big enough I don't see a problem with his stats at striker i.e. since his technique, speed, agility, flair, dribble and such can still be used. Just need to up that finishing a lot! :lol: 

I was already training him as striker. ;) Complete forward with focus on finishing.

But I don't think he'll make it, really.

Archived