Removing a PPM

Why is it so hard?

I have been trying for a full season to get Coutinho to not shoot so many long shots. He just can't stop doing it. It's frustrating because even with instructions to shoot less he keeps trying long shots from far far away. He has actually tried 3-4 shots from the middle of the field for no apparent reason. He is rubbish at it, 0 long shots have turned into goals. Instead I have statistics thats way out there. Never a game below 25 shots.

I would like a feature where I can wake Coutinho up at 5.00 every morning by shouting "DON'T SHOOT". Once he got the basics down I would like a feature where he will end each evening with a 4 hour long phone call to me where he promises to not shoot.

Seriously, it's crazy. Or am I crazy?

I have always found that the "shoots from distance" PPM produces a few too many long shots. I play Memphis and Pogba in the same team, and if a team is sitting deep that can enduce a long shot fest from those two.

A couple of things you can try here. I have had some success with "Shoot less often". It does not eliminate, but it does reduce the long shots. Same goes for "Work ball into box", although this is a TI so it will effect the whole team and you must keep that in mind.

Another approach is to try to remove the PPM (you can requst this from the training tab). Often, however, you cannot do this (apparently the player cannot learn to not shoot). In that case your coach should suggest another PPM which offsets this somewhat. For example if I cannot remove the PPM, I will train a complementary one such as "Places Shots" or "Lobs keeper" or some finesse shooting PPM. Then at least if he is trying long shots, he might be more successful with them than before. Especially if he can get them on target at least, rebounds can be great chances.

The final option is to find a replacement and sell him. I will usually avoid Shoots from Distance like the plague in a signing, unless the player is truly exceptional so that his other skills offset this negative. 

As an aside, can you imagine a team where every player has this PPM? I might make an experiment of that!

4 hours ago, sporadicsmiles said:

I have always found that the "shoots from distance" PPM produces a few too many long shots. I play Memphis and Pogba in the same team, and if a team is sitting deep that can enduce a long shot fest from those two.

A couple of things you can try here. I have had some success with "Shoot less often". It does not eliminate, but it does reduce the long shots. Same goes for "Work ball into box", although this is a TI so it will effect the whole team and you must keep that in mind.

Another approach is to try to remove the PPM (you can requst this from the training tab). Often, however, you cannot do this (apparently the player cannot learn to not shoot). In that case your coach should suggest another PPM which offsets this somewhat. For example if I cannot remove the PPM, I will train a complementary one such as "Places Shots" or "Lobs keeper" or some finesse shooting PPM. Then at least if he is trying long shots, he might be more successful with them than before. Especially if he can get them on target at least, rebounds can be great chances.

The final option is to find a replacement and sell him. I will usually avoid Shoots from Distance like the plague in a signing, unless the player is truly exceptional so that his other skills offset this negative. 

As an aside, can you imagine a team where every player has this PPM? I might make an experiment of that!

maybe learn the ppm looks for pass rather than shot? Kane has the same on FM16. he bloody shoots from everywhere!

yes, not being possible to tell a player: "don't shoot" really makes the game less realistic..

SI should change this so a player could always be able to unlearn this and to do it in a reasonable time frame.
Also, "shoot less often" PI should be the one which would overwrite this PPM, maybe in a relation with some attributes like flair, teamwork, etc. (e.g. a player with shoots from distance PPM but with high teamwork and low flair instructed to shoot less often should really be shooting less often)

11 hours ago, sporadicsmiles said:

Yeah, I try all the time to make him "unlearn" it. But I will use your suggestions and make him learn place shots or something like that! Thanks!

Real Football

Manager - I want you to stop getting forward whenever possible 

Player - Ok Boss

FM

Manager - I want you to work with this player and stop him getting forward so much 

Coach - I don't think he can do that m8, we should teach him play short passes though

Manager - No my idea is better

Coach - Alright but I don't think it will be successful 

4 months later.....

Coach - sorry but he is still getting forward whenever possible 

Third-party in-game editors can remove a PPM. I'd tell you the name but mods will remove it because SI are selling their own in-game editor (although without the ability to remove PPM... but they  might add it in this year's version!)

52 minutes ago, Artin said:

Third-party in-game editors can remove a PPM. I'd tell you the name but mods will remove it because SI are selling their own in-game editor (although without the ability to remove PPM... but they  might add it in this year's version!)

You can remove and add PPMs with the in-game editor.

One thing to remember here, PPMs are tendencies.  They are not "this is what will happen all the time".

So if, for example, you have a player with the PPM "shoots from distance", they will only tend to do that a little more often than an equivalent player without the PPM.  Note the stress on the word "equivalent" there, as player attributes differ between players and will have an impact.

Because PPMs are a tendency, they (like everything else) will be impacted by not only the player's attributes but also your tactical settings.  So sticking with the "shoots from distance" PPM, players will only take long shots if they don't see a viable alternative.  Whether they see a viable alternative or not will be determined by your tactical settings, their team mate's movement and their attributes.  With that PPM, the threshold for this viable alternative is merely raised a little.

If you are seeing loads and loads of long shots (to stick with the example), whilst the PPM will have an impact so too will your own tactical settings and the players you are using.  Use the analysis tools to have a look at things and try to relate what you see back to your tactical settings.

On 2016-10-29 at 15:31, herne79 said:

One thing to remember here, PPMs are tendencies.  They are not "this is what will happen all the time".

So if, for example, you have a player with the PPM "shoots from distance", they will only tend to do that a little more often than an equivalent player without the PPM.  Note the stress on the word "equivalent" there, as player attributes differ between players and will have an impact.

Because PPMs are a tendency, they (like everything else) will be impacted by not only the player's attributes but also your tactical settings.  So sticking with the "shoots from distance" PPM, players will only take long shots if they don't see a viable alternative.  Whether they see a viable alternative or not will be determined by your tactical settings, their team mate's movement and their attributes.  With that PPM, the threshold for this viable alternative is merely raised a little.

If you are seeing loads and loads of long shots (to stick with the example), whilst the PPM will have an impact so too will your own tactical settings and the players you are using.  Use the analysis tools to have a look at things and try to relate what you see back to your tactical settings.

Thats the problem, I'm telling Coutinho to Shoot Less Often, I have work ball into the box as well and he shoots as soon as human possible. He doesn't even consider passing even when there are 3-4 options around him. He simply shoots. I often have 30+ shots in my games and Coutinho are often 12-15 of them, he rarely hits the target.

All other creative players have no problem carving up the defence and provide good assists. It's not a case of him not having options or even being "allowed" to use this PPM, it's that he do it all the time for no reason and I can't get this tendecy to stop, even after a full season of constantly trying.

Maybe don't allow him to dribble too much and don't give him too much creativity. I will probably try a wide midfielder role instead of a wide playmaker/advanced playmaker. That way he will be further from goal and is likely to pass. And in the meantime, I will get him to unlearn the ppm too. If he can do that, then he can be used as a playmaker role.

10 minutes ago, vasilli07 said:

Maybe don't allow him to dribble too much and don't give him too much creativity. I will probably try a wide midfielder role instead of a wide playmaker/advanced playmaker. That way he will be further from goal and is likely to pass. And in the meantime, I will get him to unlearn the ppm too. If he can do that, then he can be used as a playmaker role.

He is sold now ;) I played him as an IF and tried at times to limit his creativity as well but no matter what PIs or TIs I used he continued to fire, usually without being even close to hitting the goal. If you can't unlearn a PPM within a year I have no use you, Barca did and I got 60 mil pounds :) 

Archived