FM16 Major League Soccer

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What other aspects need updating?

For starters, they need to change the way reserve teams are handled. Fix player rights for players not on MLS roster but are signed to their affiliates (rights of first refusal for players signed by MLS affiliate teams in the PDL and USL.)

Roster management in this league haven't been good and often resulted in the AI playing greyed players despite having cap room to sign players and having a huge database loaded.

I see that you've been pretty active in the league issues thread, I know Max & he is passionate about MLS so I trust him to get as much put into the game as he possibly can given whatever time they have available before FM16 hits the shelves.

With the new targeted allocation money rule, I learned that MLS teams are able to pay down a designated player's impact on salary cap and potentially sign a 4th DP. That would be a neat feature to have.

I already brought up this up on FM15 MLS thread, but it would be nice if there were more transfer activity for MLS clubs to sign international players. Every MLS team should be looking internationally for talent.

As stated earlier, the USL affiliations is a must have update. There are no more reserve teams in MLS, which is seen in FM15.

MLS needs a pretty big overhaul. I got frustrated playing as Chicago for a season and moved on. Some issues I found:

1. Goalkeepers still being released/traded/abused basically. I know this was fixed a bit in patches but was still pretty silly in the final version. I saw some keepers passed to like 5 teams in one season!

2. Trade logic overall. Offer AI a reasonable trade (based on value comparisons the game provides), and get rejected. Next day the AI accepts a ridiculous offer from another AI team.

3. The MLS Cup not being recognized as the league championship. The game got all excited when I won the Eastern Conference (confetti, lots of emails), I win the MLS Cup and...silence. Minor but an immersion breaker.

4. As was said above, lack of international signings or signings of former big stars in Europe. They just laugh off MLS offers as the game doesn't recognize the MLS as a league where fading stars can make one more big check.

5. Adding USL or NASL would be a huge help. I've seen editor attempts at it but never very good ones.

Right now there there is a lottery to sign players with expired contract who are interested in signing with a MLS team. There should be a allocation ranking for these players that are tradeable and teams can pass on the player to keep their spot on the ranking.

MLS seems complex compared to other leagues.

There needs to be a fix or an implementation of the Discovery lists every MLS team has. So far, I haven't seen them used.

One point that has also been brought up ever since agents were added is that how they operate right now is technically illegal in MLS. Agents receive a set percentage of their player's contract. The club pays them nothing. This directly ties the agent's paycheque to their player's and ensures that they fight for the player's contract and not just their own. Can't count the number of times several people have brought this up over the past few years...(and yes, in the appropriate bug forums...).

There needs to be a fix or an implementation of the Discovery lists every MLS team has. So far, I haven't seen them used.

There's also the new rule regarding compensation for signing a player on another team's discovery list.

MLS also modified the discovery process — the avenue to acquire players not on the allocation list or otherwise ineligible through other player acquisition processes.

Teams can put up to seven players on their discovery list and can modify the list at any time. Players are acquired through the discovery process on a first come, first serve basis.

However, in a new change, teams can offer $50,000 of allocation money to acquire a player that another team already has a claim on. That team must then either make the player a reasonable contract offer or accept the allocation money and give up rights to the player.

Unlike the allocation list, individual teams’ discovery lists will remain private.

http://www.sbisoccer.com/2015/05/announces-allocation-discovery.html

MLS is very hard to play. I've been very successful there but it is stressful in the offseason.

Few of my biggest problems are:

1. Players asking for enormous wages. Yeah i get it, players moving to a new country or lower league want a bigger paycheck but at some point there has to be an understanding that MLS doesn't pay DP wages for Fullbacks.

2. League not increasing in reputation or evolving. 8 years in and the salary cap is still $3m.

3. Clubs not balancing their rosters and budgets out. After about 3-4 seasons you should be in complete dominance mode due to the fact that other clubs can only keep a roster of about 15-20 with most making $200+ a year.

3. Clubs not balancing their rosters and budgets out. After about 3-4 seasons you should be in complete dominance mode due to the fact that other clubs can only keep a roster of about 15-20 with most making $200+ a year.

That is usually where my MLS save ends.

The salary cap not increasing high enough and essentially all my first team players want to leave for more money or more reputable club.

A dynamic salary cap would be an interesting idea, especially as a lot of clubs outside MLS are able to offer increasingly larger wages as a save progresses.

Could be linked in someway to DLR, if MLS moves up the rankings the league look to increase the cap allocations.

Problem could be the license agreement as it might specifically exclude changes to the salary cap.

I'm not sure if this has been an issue in the releases after FM 12 (still playing that version) but I hope it has been looked into. Here's the scenario which just happened to me and it is heart breaking (especially since I had been chasing the player for over a year, and went through a torturous contract negotiation process. Anyway I digress);

3 DP slots, 2 of which are occupied. 1 of those players will be leaving on the first day of the transfer window (July 1st in my case), while another incoming DP will be transferred (transfer confirmed) to my team on the same date. So now, total DPs = 2 (bare with me).

While this is happening and those transfers have been confirmed for more than several months prior to July 1st, I'm in the contract negotiation stage with another potential DP from another team (non-MLS) who has agreed to a contract (green confirmation thingy) but I'm still waiting for the inbox message to officially confirm the transfer. So, thus, the total DPs should still be 2, until the 3rd DP transfer has been confirmed.

The game doesn't seem to take all this into account, at least from what I have seen. I lost out on that special player due to this, just now, and I feel robbed, literally. The transfer was cancelled due to "having used up the maximum allotted DP slots". It looks like there's no algorithm (for lack of a better word) to handle such a scenario.

I had saved on June 30th and reloaded several times (I never do this but had to in order to test this out) to see if there was a way to complete the transfer. The only way that would happen, is if I withdrew the contract offer I had made to the potentially 3rd DP player (the one that had agreed to a contract, but transfer wasn't confirmed).

Hopefully that wasn't so confusing but I thought I'd post this here as it seems illogical that it should occur this way. Until a transfer is fully confirmed, it shouldn't be assumed that it's a done deal.

Also it would be interesting to see some Canadian nationally players in the MLS superdraft i mean i know there isnt alot but Larin who was 1st overall this past draft was Canadian but yet we are still stuff drafting just Americans..

Larin played college in the U.S. The Superdraft is for US College Soccer players. In real life, you are going to have some foreign US college soccer players. But, since there is no collegiate structure in FM, it cannot be programmed in. Which is why it is set for only Americans.

• 2 weeks later...

One thing I hope (and praying) is that the MLS + USL + PDL affiliations work similar to how Eastside Hockey Manager handles it's NHL + AHL + ECHL affiliation. Only difference there should be is that players signed by the USL or PDL side, their rights should be held by the MLS affiliated club.

Pretty much similar to B squads but the parent club is not on the hook for salary of every player.

(BTW PDL clubs, if a MLS team have one affiliated... They should be mainly made up by the remaining overage players from the team's academy squad who did not get sign to their MLS club)

Larin played college in the U.S. The Superdraft is for US College Soccer players. In real life, you are going to have some foreign US college soccer players. But, since there is no collegiate structure in FM, it cannot be programmed in. Which is why it is set for only Americans.

What I ment was I'm playing as Montreal Impact... I can sign anyone from Montreal u23 as it says I have to wait until they get drafted... Well if super draft is only Americans when do these players get drafted then because I can't sign them

What I ment was I'm playing as Montreal Impact... I can sign anyone from Montreal u23 as it says I have to wait until they get drafted... Well if super draft is only Americans when do these players get drafted then because I can't sign them

You're suppose to have rights to those U23 players anyway so the draft should not matter. Hopefully FM16 would have this fixed.

Usually those guys would get drafted thought, did something change in a patch?

I agree I hope to see a feature list for MLS, last year we had to find out by playing the game.

If you are Montreal, the Montreal U23 are your players. You have their rights. So, you don't need to draft. Just like with the youth team. You can sign anyone from your own youth team at any time. You own their rights. In the game, the guys who show up in the Draft are amateur players from lower level league.

If that is the case then why am I given this message then when i go to sign him

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n193/Wild2000/Montreal%20Impact/2015-10-12_00001_zpswjwz1w5m.jpg

Something is broken. The only thing I can think of, which I have noticed when working through the editors is that the programers messed up and some reserve teams aren't tied to the first team. So in this instance, the Montreal Impact U23 really doesn't belong to Montreal Impact and is a stand alone team. Because reserve teams are your contracted players that you assign there. So, if you can't sign Montreal Impact U23 players, then there was a programing issue and they didn't actually set the U23 team as an actual reserve team for Montreal. I've been noticing this a lot with the American/MLS teams.

thanks Euskalherria ill check with the editor... yah i have assigned some of my 17/18 yr olds to my U23 to develop.. btw I am using the 15.3.0 or what ever it is called the january update or whatever the last roster update that Si games released.

thanks Euskalherria ill check with the editor... yah i have assigned some of my 17/18 yr olds to my U23 to develop.. btw I am using the 15.3.0 or what ever it is called the january update or whatever the last roster update that Si games released.

Unfortunately it is not something you can fix in the pre game editor (definitely not the in game). This is the Issue: They are an affiliate and not an actual part of the Club. In the pregame editor, go to Montreal. Go to any MLS team for that matter, their U23 teams are AFFILIATES, which is wrong. They should not be classified as that. Now, go to a BPL team, their U21 and U18 squads aren't affiliates, they are actual part of the club, not an affiliate. Major difference. So since Montreal U23 is an affiliate and you can send your players on loan there, the U23 team is its own club with its own management (which shouldn't be) and so they sign their own players and their own staff. So, yes, any of the players that they signed or were given through youth intake do not belong to you. Whereas in real life, the Montreal U23 club is under Montreal management and all the players are own by Montreal. Make sense? So, it is just very bad programing by FM.

Go to pre game editor, then to the Details section for the club. Scroll down and you will see the section "Reserve Teams". It is going to be blank for Montreal and every MLS team for that matter. LA use to have their LAII listed there in previous FMs, but they were taken off of there for this year and listed as an affiliate, which is incorrect and causes a lot of issues, just like what you are going through. The MLS reserve teams should be listed there. Now, go to Manchester United, or any other non MLS club, their reserve teams are listed there and not in the affiliate section. They are no affiliate clubs. But for some reason, SI neglected to correctly set this all up for the US. I figure the MLS is not a priority for them. They just touch up the surface and do not go too deep into it unfortunately.

So, for montreal, you can then add a U23, U21, U18, Team II there and when you start the save, on your side panel on the left, where it use to just say Squad, Reserve, Academy, it will now list reserves you placed in the pre game editor. But the issue is, they will not be programed into any league. FM didn't set up a U23, U18 league like the other leagues have.

^This is a major error that needs to be addressed before the latest release, in my opinion.

The MLS has always been buggy through out all the FMs however something so basic as this should not be overlooked. I truly hope that SI read this thread, look into it and fix it.

Once again, an official response from SI regarding the MLS and this issue (among others) would be great right about now with release being about a month away.

• Administrators

We're aware of a number of issues within MLS in FM15, some due to real life rule changes and some because given the complexity of the league it's not always easy to accurately represent the league in our game. Saying that, steps have been taken to improve the MLS experience further for FM16. Cheers.

Unfortunately it is not something you can fix in the pre game editor (definitely not the in game). This is the Issue: They are an affiliate and not an actual part of the Club. In the pregame editor, go to Montreal. Go to any MLS team for that matter, their U23 teams are AFFILIATES, which is wrong. They should not be classified as that. Now, go to a BPL team, their U21 and U18 squads aren't affiliates, they are actual part of the club, not an affiliate. Major difference. So since Montreal U23 is an affiliate and you can send your players on loan there, the U23 team is its own club with its own management (which shouldn't be) and so they sign their own players and their own staff. So, yes, any of the players that they signed or were given through youth intake do not belong to you. Whereas in real life, the Montreal U23 club is under Montreal management and all the players are own by Montreal. Make sense? So, it is just very bad programing by FM.

Yes and no. If I understand the American "affiliate" system IRL correctly, I think the best way to mirror it yourself in FM would be to make them into Spanish-style "B clubs". If you click on an affiliate on the list, you will see a number of options on their details panel, e.g. "players move freely", "first option to buy" etc. Try looking at Barcelona B or Real Madrid Castilla and see how they are affiliated with the "mother" clubs.

Go to pre game editor, then to the Details section for the club. Scroll down and you will see the section "Reserve Teams". It is going to be blank for Montreal and every MLS team for that matter. LA use to have their LAII listed there in previous FMs, but they were taken off of there for this year and listed as an affiliate, which is incorrect and causes a lot of issues, just like what you are going through. The MLS reserve teams should be listed there. Now, go to Manchester United, or any other non MLS club, their reserve teams are listed there and not in the affiliate section. They are no affiliate clubs. But for some reason, SI neglected to correctly set this all up for the US. I figure the MLS is not a priority for them. They just touch up the surface and do not go too deep into it unfortunately.

So, for montreal, you can then add a U23, U21, U18, Team II there and when you start the save, on your side panel on the left, where it use to just say Squad, Reserve, Academy, it will now list reserves you placed in the pre game editor. But the issue is, they will not be programed into any league. FM didn't set up a U23, U18 league like the other leagues have.

Again, the American system is probably closer to the Spanish system. And besides, each club can only have a maximum of 2 "proper" reserves teams like the ones you're describing. So I guess you could add FC Montreal as the first one and Montreal U23 as the second one, but I still think the "Spanish" solution is the more realistic one.

MLS and England reserve teams are different. MLS does not have reserve teams anymore and MLS teams can only have a certain number of players under it's control. A better comparison would be B teams but again most of the players on a MLS "reserve team" or youth team are not under contract with the parent club but their rights remain and the parent club have first refusal. Currently FM does not have anyway to replicate this out side of the MLS Youth academy teams.

Making the youth, USL and PDL a reserve team as it works for England in FM would not be correct and would even cause problems like the teams filling its reserve rosters with virtual players because MLS are only allowed a certain number of players under it's control unlike England.

FM 14 tried it this way in a patch when LA's reserve team (LA Galaxy II currently) moved to the USL Pro. The team only had about 3 real players and the rest were virtual players every season.

You're right, and I agree that SI need to address this issue, so I'm glad to hear from Neil that they seem to be doing just that.

Until then, I still think that Spanish-style B clubs are the closest you can get with homemade edits...

Now that many (most?) MLS teams have their reserves in USL, it'll likely become more difficult as the league is not in FM. It's unfortunate, but unless both MLS and USL are included in the game, I'm not sure how to fix the reserve structure. (Plus, if the USL is incorporated, watch the NASL go mental! :) )

You're right, and I agree that SI need to address this issue, so I'm glad to hear from Neil that they seem to be doing just that.

Until then, I still think that Spanish-style B clubs are the closest you can get with homemade edits...

I tried that in FM15 and it causes crash dumps. B teams players in FM are all under contract by the parent club. MLS has a limit on the amount of players you can have under contract (salary cap and other rules in place)

So unless you create a custom fictional style MLS league (which will lose the drafting) it will not work.

Just wondering how come with the editor pre game or ingame editor if i edit a MLS squad like change it's name and what not it loses the academy team on the left bar but if i don't change the MLS team name the academy shows up on the left side...

I copied everything from Toronto FC to my Hamilton FC club and below is an example of what i mean

My Hamilton FC Franchise

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n193/Wild2000/Wild2000002/2015-10-12_00008_zpsg4iwsfpm.jpg

Montreal Impact

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n193/Wild2000/Wild2000002/2015-10-12_00009_zpstrfs3sjs.jpg

For Hamilton under reserves u dont see the Academy but in Montreal you do... Is it because of the license with MLS or is it because FM15 is hard coded with the names and such..

I copied everything from Toronto FC to my Hamilton FC club

That depends what you mean when you say you "copied everything". Did you

1) rename the club Toronto to Hamilton; or

2) duplicate Toronto and create a new club; or

3) edit an existing club Hamilton?

If you did 2) or 3) then it won't work because the Academy team is (in the game, not IRL!) technically an affiliate club, not a reserves team. So the easiest way to do what you're asking would be option 1 - and then remember to also change the name, city etc. of the Academy club.

would i still get a error if i change an american team to a Canadian team? or would it have to be a canadian team to Canadian team

Basically what i wanna do is keep toronto fc, montreal, vancouver and add another Canadian team so i wanted to take one of the new clubs orlando sc or nycfc and change it to hamilton

Archived