FM15 - The Sky Bet Football League thread

Jogo Bonito

The battle of The Magpies :cool:

6ruEVYH.png

After drawing 1-1 at Saint James' Park, we had the opportunity to finally beat our Magpie rivals. McAleny tucking away his 26th, 27th and 28th goals of this season as we go on to win 3-1. Brilliant stuff :thup:

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You know me far too well.. Barnsley seem to be screaming out to me right now but I need to actually get a game loaded and have a look. Hopefully be sometime this week that I can get started.

Nice one, the diary is about to return :cool:

Good to see you guys all sharing your knowledge and ideas around. In addition to documenting your own stories, that's what the guide was created for.

GashGuff: I'm not sure if anybody has taken on Carlisle this time, possibly 'MichaelBrown' did - but I think he was only considering it. Potts and Dempsey are decent youngsters, although if I remember correctly, Dempsey is rated a little bit low in FM. Without being specific, I would just suggest keeping it simple with not too many team instructions or player instructions. Also, try to find a tactic and formation that gets your best players on the pitch and using their best qualities. Keep it tight at the back and once confidence, morale and form grow, take it to the next level.

Gizmo: Nice job there in the 'Magpie derby'. I imagine there was plenty of stealing going on at those matches? Great returns from McAleny, that's cracking stuff.

I've not taken them on! In this FM I've been Berwick and I've been Barrow/Northampton/Yeovil, where I'm currently at.

I've played like two seasons and not updated as I just love playing now I've sorted the club out. I'll update with the current squad one point this week, link some of the players who've left and where I've finished etc.

One problem I tend to have at these lower league clubs is managing finances properly. The obvious thing I do is when I first take over I look at the highest earners and the assistant reports to see if they really need the wage they're on , for example on my Cambridge save I noticed that 2 players who are amongst the top earners aren't really going to be a valuable part of the first team so I try to get rid (currently to no avail). The other is to arange friendlies with top clubs of course. But does anyone else more tips? I always seem to royally 'f' the finances up.

Also terminanted the contract of my DoF.

It makes sense to look at the high earners and sell/release or loan them out if they're not going to be worth it for you. I also look at expiry dates of player contracts when I start. Anybody expiring in 2015 should be evaluated - e.g. offer new contract, or try to sell/loan immediately. If moving in transfer markets, it is easily possible for a club like that to avoid any agent fees/player bonus payments when bringing in new players or renewing their contracts - I did it for two years that way with Exeter.

Another 'must do' in my opinion is to select the lower competition bonus option every time. Players at that level won't mind, and the board will allocate more money in to your kitty. You won't need to spend it on fees anyway, but can use it if necessary on wages, loan wages, or even just keep it there to help the club grow. Ask the board if they will increase the % of transfer revenue too.

Thanks Jogo Bonito , when negotiating contracts I found that there's a trick where you can offer them a lot lower wages than they ask for by giving them a wage increase based on 1 international appearance.

I guess most teams make a loss in league 2?

Played him as a Raumdeuter on the right , and Freeman on the left as either a Winger Support or an Advanced Playmaker and he played incredible too.

Interesting, I might try him there. Was this pre patch? He's played a few games there as an inside forward attack but hasn't done anything. It'd be handy to be able to play him there sometimes as he's very hit and miss up top for me.

GriffiN: You can certainly try that one (international appearance clause), but I find that you can renew contracts on the same wages, even if they ask for more. Just keep reverting it back and after three or four times they will probably sign. Do this with agent and bonus fees too, you really can avoid them whilst in L2. New signings is similar, only a few will reject you on refusal to pay agent fees or any bonus, and there are plenty of players who you can get without hurting your finances.

I actually made a good profit in all four seasons with Exeter, although that was partly helped by little FA Cup runs (just a couple of rounds is enough). I can't remember the exact figures on finances, but if you have time to scroll back through here, I am pretty sure I posted it up somewhere. One other thing you probably do anyway, if you're really short on money, is to ask for a parent club - even if you don't loan any players from them, the annual fee might help.

Interesting, I might try him there. Was this pre patch? He's played a few games there as an inside forward attack but hasn't done anything. It'd be handy to be able to play him there sometimes as he's very hit and miss up top for me.

Yeh this was very early on mate , most probably beta or just after full release. He was still hit and miss for me , some games he would tear the opposition left back and score worldies but other times he'd miss the easiest chances and couldn't do a thing. All the best for the seasons , hope you have a great save and a great time.

GriffiN: You can certainly try that one (international appearance clause), but I find that you can renew contracts on the same wages, even if they ask for more. Just keep reverting it back and after three or four times they will probably sign. Do this with agent and bonus fees too, you really can avoid them whilst in L2. New signings is similar, only a few will reject you on refusal to pay agent fees or any bonus, and there are plenty of players who you can get without hurting your finances.

I actually made a good profit in all four seasons with Exeter, although that was partly helped by little FA Cup runs (just a couple of rounds is enough). I can't remember the exact figures on finances, but if you have time to scroll back through here, I am pretty sure I posted it up somewhere. One other thing you probably do anyway, if you're really short on money, is to ask for a parent club - even if you don't loan any players from them, the annual fee might help.

Really appreciate the help and advice Jogo Bonito I'll have a look for that post in a bit. When I tried the International Appearance Clause that was for a potential new signing but I didn't go ahead with it.

Really appreciate the help and advice Jogo Bonito I'll have a look for that post in a bit. When I tried the International Appearance Clause that was for a potential new signing but I didn't go ahead with it.

No problem, I hope it works out for you. I think my first season profit (somehow) was about £800k with Exeter, if I remember correct. I was really strict on wages, with a self-imposed cap applied etc.

sjxrMVf.png

An alright start, the early entry into Euro cup meant we had a ton of games in the pre season. getting knocked out by Standard is nothing that displeases me, I am just happy that we don't have to distract ourselves with that. As for the Prem, one loss and one victory is good especially as Aston Villa tends to be a bogey team of mine. Oh Sung-Hwan started his career here by being named Young Player of the Month, looks like he will have a cracking time here :)

Also I should do some roundup of the newgens that have been brought up the first team at some point, will probably be my next update :)

I had a Balance of 80m + before the season started, now it's hovering around 65m and they just gave me 16m to spend in January.

I have Cartabia and McNair coming so far, so I can terminate some loans and reduce the size of my squad. Expectations were quite low, they were asking for mid table finish, sitting in 1st after 21 games with 44 points and 5 points ahead of Aston Villa.

I had a quick look (went onto each page & CTRL+F'd "Prize") and couldn't find it , I may have missed a page or two though. I've taken this directly from the FA's website so I guess it's the same in game.

Link : http://www.thefa.com/thefacup/more/prize-fund

Was going to copy it in but it's quite long and the spoiler tag just darkens (thought it hides it and turns it into a click box).

Of course this is just prize money so TV revenue isn't included , although I believe it's split 45% for each of the clubs & 10% to the fa

Sorry haven,t updated my Newport save but that last update from FM really p....d me off have the gliding problem and tried the suggested fixes to no avail.Anyway back to business am 30 games into the season and Newport sit in 8th position just 2 pts from the play-offs had a decent cup run got to the 3rd round managed a 1-1 draw away at Everton but were beaten in the the replay 3-1 although it did wonders for our finances a projected deficit of close to £1m is now a projected surplus of £320k.The star of the season has been Alex Samuels a 19 year old loanee from Swansea who has been banging in goals for fun in 24 appearances he has scored 21 goals including all 5 in our 5-1 defeat of Northampton but that has created a problem because Rene Howe has become very unhappy with his lack of playing time and asthere is no chance of signing Samuel perminentley I will need Howe next season and he is a decent striker for div.2 so the question is do I play Howe to keep him happy and probably dent our hopes of a play-off place or just carry on with Samuel and hope that Howe gets over the hump.This managing lark is so difficult at times lol

Going to put my Swindon save to one side for a little bit as I would like to start a new save, another team in the Football League is what I'm looking for, I'm not particularly picky so any suggestions are more than welcome!.

With 3 games left, I have guaranteed promotion, finally got my GD up a little bit too...

90db902c916c36282a8e72e17fe3700b.png

But the best part was my League One budget set for next season :D next stop, Championship!

9831e0ff0cbf39c040efcad5d78103da.png

hj5zVDj.png Also, my youth products Jeet Padaruth and Mike Barnett were given their First Team debut. I had too many inconsistant performances from my current defenders and too many injuries to not consider it. I expect them and Lewis/Thorpe to be the future backline. 8th at the moment and its the middle of April

Congrats Ty and a very nice transfer budget I'm sure you will bring in some great players and go for the double promotion.

So I'm almost at the end of January with Cambridge and it's not going to well currently. At the end of October / start of November I was a few points off the playoffs however I just can't find a formation that goes well and now I'm just 2 points off the drop. I've just had a board meeting about the poor performance plus the players aren't happy and they want to see a tactical change. On the plus side I'm in the section final of the JPT but lost the first leg 1-0 to Peterborough so a potential trip to Wembley may await.

Hi updates on my Watford save are as follows:

Standings%202014-2015_zpsjuya8a2q.png

Sitting top of the table with 13 games to go. Hopefully i can get an automatic promotion. I have very happy with the way my team is defending as well as attacking. We have one of the meanest defence in the Championship. My CB pairing of Angelia and Ekstrand or Angelia and Vallejo (Loan) or Ekstrand and Vallejo are damn solid! In addition to that I have Michael Keane (January Signing) and Craig Cathcart.

Strikeforce of Troy Deeney, Matej Vydra and James Wilson..... Anyone of them can come in and score goals. But I do not only depend on them, Daniel Tozser current;ly 3rd highest scorer in my team behind Vydra and Deeney. I can get goals from all over the pitch.

If i were to get promoted I hope the board would be able to give me a sizeable sum of money to spend on experience PL players and good youngsters...

Transfers%202014-2015_zpserssr068.png

Tactics%202014-2015_zpsk301xdop.png

Ah, just wrote a long post covering everything you had written recently, and it crashed. So instead, well done all and good luck to those having tougher times.

Hopefully I will soon be able to finish post #6 on page 1 with all 72 club profiles. Time is limited just at the moment.

Ola guys! some great developments here... and with FM releasing 15.3 update. Will roll ahead with my Sheff Utd save for now but also thinking of starting a new save with Newport County given their odds.

Congrats Ty and a very nice transfer budget I'm sure you will bring in some great players and go for the double promotion.

I'd be so lucky, can't find anyone to spend it on.

Scouts are terrible so struggle view a lot of players, but then scouts are terrible so its hard finding other scouts :mad:

Literally will be using the same team in League One at this rate :(

So after a successful pre-season, we're now ready to start life in the Championship. The board wants us to finish above mid-table and gave us 1 million with which to improve the squad.

Transfers_%20%20Transfer%20History_zpsy8dfy4d9.png

I wasn't able to renew Ibe's loan as Liverpool want him to play with better players. Freeman decided he wanted to join Wigan and nothing I said could change his mind. So that meant my two wingers and arguably best payers from last year have left. I'm hoping that Isgrove, Wilson and Mackay-Steven can pick up the goal scoring slack.

Carlton Cole was the best I could find and offers some good experience. Pallardo will compete with Ake for the DM spot and I'm hoping that Teixeria can do well in a cm spot. Wisdom has been bought in to shore up the defence and Leech is a regen.

Jordan%20Leech_%20Overview%20Profile_zpspquygypq.png

Here is Leech, I'm going to train him to play as a striker, hoping that he'll come good.

My youth intake bought through two decent prospects,

Neil%20Jolliffe_%20Overview%20Profile_zpsjxxd6nir.png

and

Wyn%20Williams_%20Overview%20Profile_zps50tdrgzn.png

I still have some money left but I'm concerned about spending too much on wages and getting us into trouble. I have been unable to sell some of my deadwood but will keep trying. Probably not going to sign anyone else just yet, unless someone amazing comes through or someone leaves. Looking forward to the new season!

I need some scouts for Portsmouth in League 1, can anyone help? I've got Sylvain Wiltord and that is pretty much it abroad, so my searches only bring up English and French players! :( Need a couple new ones quick, please. Any suggestions?

OK, I've been busy working on the club previews for the 72 clubs, and have now completed League 2 and League 1 profiles (post #6 on page 1). The Championship ones will be done shortly.

For those that might be looking for suggestions of who to take on at the various levels, I hope the brief guide to each club might give you some ideas that are useful.

Transfer and wage budgets of all 72 clubs are already shown in post #5.

Feedback welcome, cheers.

My God, my Coventry save is taking another turn. Got a initial budget of 65M with 450k wage budget. Gonna need to upgrade the back. I finish 9th in the league but I really wanted that European place. Also, I have just purchased the Ricoh Arena and I plan to expand that too. Youth Category is also at 2, and I hope it will be 1 by Summer of 2018

After being promoted and not being able to spend more than £200k of my £4.5m :D... I managed to bring together some quality free transfers and loans. Currently sitting 4th, after not the greatest of starts to League One life.

578f2ff8c657bef1fe1c740f399faef1.png

Very pleased with Graham, and hope to get him for free as his contract runs out at the end of the season. Rothwell has just signed, so hoping for good things from him...

301b6febb6ba6a1bbbf6ea7b38a52890.png

Hoping Will Keane can find his feet and really start firing me from the front.

After being promoted and not being able to spend more than £200k of my £4.5m :D... I managed to bring together some quality free transfers and loans. Currently sitting 4th, after not the greatest of starts to League One life.

578f2ff8c657bef1fe1c740f399faef1.png

Very pleased with Graham, and hope to get him for free as his contract runs out at the end of the season. Rothwell has just signed, so hoping for good things from him...

301b6febb6ba6a1bbbf6ea7b38a52890.png

Hoping Will Keane can find his feet and really start firing me from the front.

Some quality pick ups Ty!

How's Aussie Adam Taggart?

I cancelled his loan not long after getting Will Keane on loan, so didn't really need 4 strikers in the squad with 1 ST spot :( so he got a couple games pre-season that is it.

Graham has been absolute fantastic, really hope to secure him on a free.

0b79cdb334d341dd86166d09decc12df.png

More importantly though, the star player from my first years intake, Packham, has really put in some performances this season. Attracting a whole host of Prem clubs, so I have got him on another contract and hopefully he'll stay. Trying to retrain him to CM, has 5* (good premier league player) potential, so he could really be a rising star with us!

34a7c626c90b53c1f68e598207061c5b.png

Unfortunately my tenure at Cambridge has come to an end. A real shame because in my last few games in charge we played some great football against the top teams in the league but indivudal errors cost us. May look to start again tonight with a better team , Barnsley have caught my eye but I really want to start from league 2 and work my way up so I will have a gander at Joga Bonito's league 2 profiles which look really well written.

Unfortunately my tenure at Cambridge has come to an end. A real shame because in my last few games in charge we played some great football against the top teams in the league but indivudal errors cost us. May look to start again tonight with a better team , Barnsley have caught my eye but I really want to start from league 2 and work my way up so I will have a gander at Joga Bonito's league 2 profiles which look really well written.

That's a shame, what month did that happen? Good luck in finding a new club, and I do hope the guide might help you and others out in the future (thanks for kind words).

Ty: Some good signings there, and I have little doubt you will be celebrating another success again soon!

That's a shame, what month did that happen? Good luck in finding a new club, and I do hope the guide might help you and others out in the future (thanks for kind words).

Happened around the start of March / end of February. We hadn't won a league game since mid November. A real shame because we started the season so well and we beat Leyton Orient , MK Dons and lost on penalties to Peterborough in the section Final of the JPT.

So my watford team got promoted to PL. And I wasted no time in signing the players... Home Grown players especially. They gave me an additional 15m to spend. I spent on these players....

June%20Transfers_zpsefjhf5rn.png

Hoping to sign more on Loan. I renewed Wilson and Vallejo loan. Signed Alli, Roberts, Hughes and Ron Robert Zieler.

Will update on my first few games and also once First Transfer Window is shut....

Exeter_Profile-2_zps41b2c2e4.png

Injury woes have really harmed the 2018/2019 season again at Exeter, but this time it's multiple enforced substitutions during games that have restricted my attempts to make a serious promotion challenge. Our form started a bit shakily - and scoring goals did not come easy early on - however we seem to have improved on that now, and maintaining a tight defence has allowed us to hover around the play-off zone. The return to form of Andre Gray recently gives us continued hope going forward, but a fairly heavy fixture list might make it difficult to maintain our momentum.

We're just about still alive in the FA Cup, with a winnable 3rd Round home tie against Coventry to come. That possibility almost never happened, when Conference club York City took us to a replay at their new stadium in Round 2, but we did better there than we had at home, and eventually progressed. We had a better run in the JPT than usual, but lost out 1-0 to Ipswich in the Southern area semi-final - the goal coming harshly after 90 minutes of an even contest.

Schedule_%20%20Senior%20Fixtures-44_zpsrdmfi5fk.png

Schedule_%20%20Senior%20Fixtures-45_zpsy23lv3lt.png

The performance graph charts our progress this season - and we sit in a reasonable position on New Years Day, with two games in hand against a couple of decent sides (Shrewsbury and Ipswich). That situation came about following two consecutive postponed home fixtures in December - the pitch being waterlogged on both occasions. Our poor pitch has been criticised by many managers over many years, and nobody else has had a game called off this season - so at least we are division 'leaders' in something.

Competitions_%20%20Competitions-26_zps2iabsiwx.png

On the player front, there has been little change since my three 'free transfers' arrived on 9th June, but I did add two more players to the squad without spending any money. The former we had been tracking for over four years, and joined in the summer. He was a bit of a gamble after falling off the radar in recent times, but has done quite well in central midfield (I've already used the trigger clause to extend his deal until 2020). The latter only arrived last month, and is no more than a cover option. The deal made sense due to the very cheap wages though, and he goes in to my U21 squad.

Inbox_%20%20Inbox-27_zpskdcg78ml.png

Inbox_%20%20Inbox-28_zpsnhyd5tvk.png

This is what the squad looked like at the start of the season, before the recent arrival of Kyle Walker-Peters. The players with names that you haven't heard of (Byrne, Pope, Gill, Billingsley and Madden) were originals at the club from when I took over, but have never made it beyond the U21 squad - and probably never will. Nine of the first-team squad remain from when I took charge (Pym, Ribeiro, Bennett, Moore-Taylor, Sercombe, Grimes, Keohane, Wheeler, Nichols) whilst Hamon is 2nd/3rd choice 'keeper. My 4th choice 'keeper Kavanagh Keadell doesn't have a squad number, but is also an original at the club - he remains in the U21 squad but only gets to play U18 matches. The U21's also include another four originals here since day one (Josh Reid, Brandon Green, Will Richards and Matt Jay) that don't have shirt numbers allocated. The only player to have cost a fee in five years is Andre Gray (£56k from Brentford, ahead of the third season).

Inbox_%20%20Inbox-25_zpsja4ql233.png

Inbox_%20%20Inbox-26_zpsn4hdgvdp.png

I can do later, definitely. Preparing to watch Reading get humbled by Bradford (on TV of course, as it's a bit of a trek from here) so will pop one up later. His starting attributes, and current ones, are nothing amazing to be honest - but he's a good/solid L1 player for sure.

Stared with Scunthorpe last night and it was going well , but again the team dropped form and from mid November till mid January we didn't win a league game and I think this will cost us playoffs - I did just beat Notts County & Bristol City back to back with the former being in the JPT Northern Final 1st leg. Finanically though the club is struggling , quite a few high earners who aren't getting football and I can't ship them off but most of they're contracts expire this summer. Scunny also offered me a longer contract very early into the season when we were joint top , so a few good points I suppose. Will update with screenshots at the end of the season.

Mr.Delph: There you go, that's Matt Grimes in January 2019.

Matt%20Grimes_%20Overview%20Attributes_zpsjknoucle.png

GriffiN:Good luck with Scunny. I'll look forward to seeing your updates on that.

Gunner: Thanks, yes Gray has been a good buy. He recently completed 100 league appearances for us (at the time with 48 goals). How are you getting on? Any nearer to finding a new club yet? Hopefully the updated guide might help if you're struggling for inspiration.

Archived