FM15 - The Sky Bet Football League thread

Jogo Bonito

I think I'm did pretty good as I'm nearing November and now 8th ATM

y7Rcvwq.png

I was given a budget of 1 F-IN MILLION DOLLARS in my first season in the EPL with Coventry. Had a tiny wage bill and missed out on a lot of good frees at first until I asked the board for a bigger wage and they said yes. You notice a lot of CBs signed by me because I used my 3-in-the-back Zeo Sea Athena tactic instead of the 4-4-2 one.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure how to take this Accrington side. Scored 77 and conceded 79. That is 17 more than the next team. We're sat 8th, having been 15th three games ago. We've changed formation and how we're playing slightly to a 4-2-4. We're still only 5 points off automatic and we're level with 6th and 7th. Our GD is a concern though.

There's 12 games left in the season so I'm hoping we haven't started peaking too early. In January we saw Dean Winnard and Michael Liddle leave on free transfers. Winnard wanted a fresh challenge so stepped down a level :confused: to join Crawley Town. Liddle wanted first team football so joined Cambridge United.

Sean McAllister was days away from joining Lincoln City on a free transfer but picked up knee tendonitis which ruled him out for 7 months. Andy Fleming also wants to leave as well. I panicked signed six players in January. Four players joined on loan. Those players were Ben Wagstaff(DC), Ben Close(MC) and Joachim Rohde(DR) and Josh Rees(MC). Rohde and Rees both join for their second spells at the club. Anton Forrester(Striker) and Emmanuel Dieseruvwe(Striker) joined on frees. The latter doesn't fit in so he will be going in the summer.

Hopefully we can sneak into the play-offs.

It appears we peaked too soon. We went on a horrible run where we couldn't get wins or draws and lost games where we were unlucky to lose. We had a chance to get back into the play-offs in game 42 and put pressure back on Luton. Unfortunately we squandered a two goal lead twice. 4 games remaining but we need Luton to lose to have a chance.

2015-02-20_00001_zps7aznj5in.jpg

2015-02-20_00003_zpsfjk6jtt9.jpg

Our great form in the league continues with 3 wins and 2 draws and that has put us 2nd in the league. With the half way point fast approaching, i am delighted at how we are progressing with now after our COC defeat to Chelsea our only cup distraction is now the FA cup, which as you can see has not been kind to us, saying that it won't be a disaster if we fall at that hurdle as we can fully focus on the league in which I feel a real successful season is on the horizon.

Fast approaching the Jan transfer window and I'm expecting it to be a quiet one, really happy with my squad so not expecting any incomings.

It's normally the case but I've seen one or two. We're still achieving our aims and we've done well again this season. We just can't seem to consistently hit form. I'm thinking about going with the squad I've got this season. Trim the wage budget and seeing if a season together as such will help them. I'm tempted to give Reuben Reid a chance. He scored 13 in 42 for Lincoln last season.

The retiring owner, the over priced winger and a crop of cheap youngsters.

Where to start??

Firstly, following my last post, I have pulled off one of the best sales on FM for me ever I think. Junior Stanislas, Mr I hardly ever play and when I do I play badly, had the cheak to ask for a new contract which I refused. He requested to leave so I listed him, at this point discovering his was now worth 6.75m!!!! I set a price of 7m and low and behold Derby have only gone and paid it, and put him on 22k per week!! They must be mental.

Now finances wise we have a bit more to play with but I have only managed two signings so far, Alex Pritchard from Tottenham for 400k and Josh Sims from Southampton for 60k. Both youngsters, both maybe for the future, but also both bargains with resale prices that would make us money.

Talking of money, my owner, Maxim Deman, has announced he is retiring at the end of the season, does the club now therefore have to be sold or what? Anyone seen this before?

Interesting times on the south coast. In other news the director who wanted to takeover as part of a consortium is now just looking to become chairman. I'm still trying to streamline my squad which will hopefully see us clear about £2k from our wage budget. I'm also using Gizmo's advice and trying to bring in some loanees from Liverpool.

Like magic the takeover is complete. I found this out by getting the takeover survival achievement through Steam. Bill Holden is now chairman and he's replaced Peter Marsden. Financially we're ruined at the moment and Mr Holden has decided that he won't invest any money yet but will take out a loan for £352,000. That's not a bad thing for the time being. Maybe being the underdog again might help us. The new board has already severed ties with Burnley, Blackburn and Clitheroe.

Plainlayzee, you can always put in an offer to Stfc mason for Obika at Swindon ;) - on a more serious note if you need a 'keeper, you could check out Fernando Pacheco (Real Madrid/Castilla) who is often available on a free transfer after the first season. He would be a good asset to you to either play or sell on, and is very capable.

Stfc mason, excellent work with your boys, and a steady squad gets my approval too.

NF, 13th is not bad, and you survived. But I hope the new board are as lenient as your last one - or don't mind goals against :lol:

Finished my 1st season, got promoted with a position of being 2nd in the league, quite proud of this achievement, once again raided the youngsters of Man City for some season loans, doing well in my 2nd season so far, played 3 and won 3 so far in League 1, finances are still rubbish, 2.61m in the red, hopefully another promotion will help with the finances.

13th isn't bad and it's still an improvement. The new board have agreed to offer me a new contract. Decided for the first time in many FMs to have three tactics. I think that's why we're being caught. Hoping it will give me more structure. The wage expenditure is down to about £18,500 per week now which is good. I still feel there's a few more players I could allow to leave as well. We're improving each season which is the main aim. We've finished 20th, 18th, 17th, 13th. The board want a respectable league finish this season which is doable. No players have joined yet but I might look around for that 'quality' signing or two. None of the strikers played particularly well last season which is a concern but we look forward to the new season.

Good luck with that Plainlayzee, I'm surprised you can't pick up any useful free agents ahead of the second season though. What positions are causing the biggest headache?

NF, if there isn't anyone you really need/want, my advice is don't bother. Less turnover of players is something I really believe helps build your club up. It's good that you're cutting the wage bill down too.

* I've taken a few days break from Exeter to advance my Grasshopper save, but with a big Devon derby today and usual FL72 action coming at me from all sides, I think I'm close to getting it going again now. Hopefully pre-season will be done soon and I can crack on with season 5.

I didn't really need anyone tbh. I've extended players contracts and I've tried working on tactics that should see us through the season. I'm hoping to try and be a bit more defensively solid as well. 115, 87, 100 and 105 goals conceded in my four seasons. The past two seasons have been poor in terms of the automatic promotion spots so if we can get 75-85 points that should be enough to send us up automatically. I could do with another right back and the player in question is a 33 year old Alan Hutton from Rangers. He'd cost £250 per week on loan for the season. If he doesn't fit the squad personality or isn't good enough I'll be bringing back a DC/DR that I sent on loan earlier in pre-season. I'm also restricting myself from offering agent fees now as that's what's causing us problems. I would only consider doing it for current players who are worth it or a marquee signing.

I think this game has got about 2 days left in it before I either et A sacked or B quit and start as someone else.

This is a perfect example of going up too early.

I've basically built a team of free agents and loans or the people no one else wants, see Brad Jones, Andy Wilkinson (stoke) and Sam Vokes (Burnley).

I am going to try and keep going, but I can see me starting again as a League One team shortly as I enjoy the lower leagues more and can at least build a club.

Just to add to this by the way, this sums up how it's gone,

Wanted Dann from Blackburn for 3m, I make a bid and my max wage is 12k, well he was being paid 18k anyway, in come Derby and they sign him and give him 28k per week.

I made a loan bid for Libor Kozak, didn't want to come, Tyler Blacket from Man UTD reject a free transfer and went to Gillingham instead, Ben Amos, Darren Fletcher dd the same. Bristol City have made late bids for 2 foreign players I wanted and nicked them from me, even Benik Afobe went to Barnsley!!

Honestly I have never found it so tough to get a single deal over the line, ny on impossible at the moment.

Also, what's your guys take on this. I allowed two young keepers to leave in the summer as I would have had six keepers. I didn't feel it was fair to allow them to rot in the reserves or on loan when there was never a chance they'd play for me. Luke Simpson my #1 has just got injured for 4 weeks. My 2nd choice is Andrew Dawber so he will now start. My two other young keepers I allowed out on loan. One of them is injured so I recalled the other. The problem is the other has now got injured for 5 weeks. Would you guys look for a short term loan keeper for a month or two or would you look to sign a third choice keeper for the first team?

NF: I'd use a youth keeper first, if you really can't do that then perhaps a free agent or short term loan.

PL: I've no idea why it's turned out like that for you. If it's not something you feel is enjoyable, or you get sacked, hopefully you will find a new L1 club. In the meantime, good luck.

I would have done Jogo. I have four keepers in total. Two first team and two youngsters. The two youngsters were out on loan but one of them was injured so I recalled the other. The other then got an injury so I was left with one keeper. I've gone and resigned a youth keeper I released at the end of last season. Journos said that fans thought I was panic buying.

I've had Jack Redshaw complaing I didn't sell him. He then said he was happy as he was getting 1st team football. James Gray and Danny Rose then complained so now they're upset :(. After 6 games we've picked up 11 points. We're currently sat 2nd despite losing to Chesterfield and drawing against Chester in our last two games. We was down to 10 men after 1 minute 19 seconds in the Chester game as Dylan Smith gave away a penalty which got him booked. Instead of shutting up and getting on with it he decides he would argue with the ref and got himself another yellow. Sent off inside 2 minutes appalling. I fined him after the game to which he complained. I explained why and he got on with it. I'd like to think he's learnt his lesson :cool:. Bobby Grant pulled us level with a 30 yard wonder strike and we had another chalked off late on. We were the better side. We have Hartlepool next who are top. They have a four point lead so it would be nice to win.

Sorry but anger got the better of me!

I decided to give it one final push, and to keep with realism to approach the board and seek some clarification in terms of the club and how it's progressing.

I requested an increase in the transfer and/or wage budgte which the club refused as it was already 'at an extremely high level'. The wages were 12k per week below the budget initially set, but the most any player was on was 11k, less than some league 1 teams were playing.

I got into an argument in the hope it would do me soon good, but was told to back down or clear my desk.

As I was clearing my desk, up pops a message...

Their is a transfer embargo now in place due to a possible takeover.

So I had a choice, carry on with what I have and try and get to January or forget it, I've chose the second option.

Sorry but this save had lost any magic, any spark and the club was a total mess. Don't get me wrong I love a challenge, but the complete lack of ambition by the board together with their handling finances was appalling.

Time for something new and I think I already have the answer...

Sorry mate. I have been lucky with boards and don't seem to have much trouble with mine. I guess I don't ask for much, but it's a bit surprising they were being that difficult with you after such a good season. I look forward to your 'answer' though - it's good to hear you will likely stick around.

@ NF - not sure about the late goals mate, if the team talks aren't working you can only chage the tactics and get everyone behind the ball but i'll I will asume you do that anyway? Out of interest, it is always a corner, or a long ball or something causing you a problem? Is there a pattern in terms of the goals you are conceading?

@Jogo - me neither mate, very poor as I was enjoying the save. Now got a choice of a few clubs and I would appreciate some suggestings,

My choice at the moment is Preston. I want a team that I can do something with, they have got some facilities in place and a few decent players. Maybe go up first season and take it from there if possible.

However, I don't want it easy, but I figure in League One there is about 5 teams that are all equal.

Other options is someone like a Crewe and go for a long game, proper small club/stadium etc.

Any thoughts or ideas as to who I can go?

Defo wont be leaving this thread now mate.

NF: There are various ways of trying, but each might cease to work after a while. You can use touchline shouts (e.g. assertive, concentrate), you can change formation (e.g. 442 to 4141), you can change roles of individual players (e.g. full backs from support to defend, or wing backs to limited full backs, central midfielders from support to defend, wingers on attack to wide midfielders on defend), you can change mode (e.g. to defensive or contain), or you can change the main tactical approach (e.g be more disciplined, use tighter marking). There are many ways to try and see a game out, but not just one thing that will give a lifetime guarantee. What PL says is also true, understand where and how the goals are coming from (e.g. do you need to drop deeper because you have slow centre backs and keep seeing a fast striker break beyond them, is it from crosses, or corners etc where maybe you need to put your man in better specific positions).

PL: I had a very good Preston career in FM14, it's a very solid pick with some good players, good history, fan base, stadium etc. Joe Garner will give you goals, you have some good youngsters, and other good L1 players. I don't know how to link to this thread's FM14 or FM13 versions (I couldn't find them), but I sometimes thought about reading through those again to remind myself of what players made those saves special to me!

Back to your point on suggestions! I guess it depends what leagues you want to manage in. For some, it's about getting a team to the top flight asap, for others it's actually about managing in L1/L2. Personally, I chose Exeter this time just because I wanted to be with a club that's likely to be in the bottom two leagues for a few years, because that's where I wanted to be managing. So I'm trying to build them slowly but sensibly, and hopefully one day I get them to the second tier - if I do that, one season of survival will probably end my journey. After the winter update though, I want to try both Sheff Utd & Swindon because I want a crack at a shorter save - one to three seasons - as I like their squads and think they can do that for me. I'll probably try another L2 team then too - but I'm not sure you want to go that far down.

If I was picking a L1 club now (I tried Bristol City for two seasons in FM15 - similar to Preston really), I'd consider Walsall. They're not a big club, and have little expectations, but have some decent players, and some youngsters that I know can be developed really well from their U21/U18 squads. It would be much tougher than Preston, so it depends what you're looking for really. The Posh obviously have a philosophy of breeding young stars from the lower levels, and have the biggest L1 transfer budget. Also they are currently managerless so that might make them a realistic club for you right now. MK Dons are another that are ready to be taken upwards, and starting with Alli/Afobe is a plus. From one of the early posters though, their board treated him like yours at Bournemouth after reaching the top flight, so if that happened again it could disappoint you later.

@ NF - not sure about the late goals mate, if the team talks aren't working you can only chage the tactics and get everyone behind the ball but i'll I will asume you do that anyway? Out of interest, it is always a corner, or a long ball or something causing you a problem? Is there a pattern in terms of the goals you are conceading?
NF: There are various ways of trying, but each might cease to work after a while. You can use touchline shouts (e.g. assertive, concentrate), you can change formation (e.g. 442 to 4141), you can change roles of individual players (e.g. full backs from support to defend, or wing backs to limited full backs, central midfielders from support to defend, wingers on attack to wide midfielders on defend), you can change mode (e.g. to defensive or contain), or you can change the main tactical approach (e.g be more disciplined, use tighter marking). There are many ways to try and see a game out, but not just one thing that will give a lifetime guarantee. What PL says is also true, understand where and how the goals are coming from (e.g. do you need to drop deeper because you have slow centre backs and keep seeing a fast striker break beyond them, is it from crosses, or corners etc where maybe you need to put your man in better specific positions).

It's from a mixture of crosses and corners. We've dropped about 10 points from late goals or conceding in bulk periods.

Quite gutted tbh :(. After 4 and a half seasons the board at Accrington have sacked me. Having just guided the club to a 9-2 victory against Welling in the FA Cup I thought things were on the up. We had to play Luton next who were 2nd. They go down to 10 men after about 30 minutes and we were the better team throughout the game. In the 93rd minute Connor Sammon(Hate him in real life) pops up and scores their winner. The board request a meeting. I beg them to let me stay after saying we'd had some hard fixtures and they say they have to sack me. A lot of staff have left with me so hopefully I can pick up another job.

Hi Fritz. Nobody has mentioned managing Charlton in here, no. They had/have a decent youth system and some local young players that could be well developed, although the club identity has changed a lot because of the owners links to other clubs abroad. They're a little bit similar to Watford now.

NF: I think the failure to get a 10th goal against Welling has cost you there! Unlucky that the board have sacked you, as it's not the lowest point of your time there. But they obviously feel you were not going to help them achieve anything better. Good effort though - that wasn't an easy 4.5 seasons.

Scunthorpe_United_FC_logo.svg

Season 2018-2019

Sky Bet League One

The Situation

This was one of three jobs available that took my fancy. The other two were Leyton Orient and Barnet who sit 12th and 23rd in League One and League Two respectively. Scunny currently sit 6th in League One. They were the only team to offer me an interview straight away and I must have impressed in that. The club would like me to play direct, attacking football whilst signing young players for the first team. Perfectly reasonable to be honest. They have also said I'd be working on limited resources which is more than good enough. The board accept that we're overachieving slightly but would like me to continue that and get a play-off place. They've offered me a £700 per week contract until 2020.

In order for me to try and achieve the aims the board have given me a wage budget of £37,500 per week(although looking at my budget screen it's £38,153). We're currently spending just short of £29,000. The board have also given me a transfer budget of about £10,000.

We're currently just over £300,000 in the red but we do have an FA Cup game against Eastleigh soon which if we win I'm hopeful we'll get a big team away from home. Form wise we've not won in three games. But those games have been a JPT game which we lost on penalties, a draw against 7th place Rotherham and a 2-0 loss against 2nd place Plymouth. Before that we were unbeaten in 9 games drawing two of them.

Squad wise we have quite a strong squad although wages seem to have got slightly out of hand. Paddy Madden is earning £2,700 per week which is fine as he's a good player but I'm hoping to get him to take a wage cut.

We have staff places available so I'll be looking to try and bring some of my loyal staff with me.

I am quite disappointed but I do feel I've landed on my feet so to speak. The Accrington board were saying it was the seven games without a win that cost me but as you've said. I've been through worse stages. Unfortunately due to my good contract management at Accrington I won't be able to bring any of them in. Ideally I would have been able to bring James Gray, Will Hatfield, Luke Joyce and Kal Naismith.

Good luck with Scunthorpe, they're doing well so to get that job is a positive for you. Will you also be taking your goalkeepers and defenders, along with loyal staff? That would really liven things up over there ;) At least they want to play attacking football - so they might have found the right person for that!

I forgot Luke Simpson. I would like to sign him. It's the defence that makes him look so bad :D. Indeed I'm lucky to get it. The media prediction is 21st as well. I just had a chat with the squad and said play-offs is the aim. The players weren't happy with that as they feel we can do better :D. I think I might enjoy this save still.

Jogo Ok so I'm back and finally have some free time to watch the football and crack on with a save!

Any clubs you guys recommend for a good challenge in league 2?

@NottinghamForest - Been catching up on your story, very enjoyable read, good luck with Scunthorpe :thup:

Archived