FM15: Aston Villa F.C. - Building around Benteke!

Spike

In my first season I managed to finish runners up 12 points behind Chelsea.

Not sure how to post screen shot from photobucket:

http://s99.photobucket.com/user/soldierblue123/media/EnglishPremierDivision_OverviewProfile.png.html?sort=3&o=0

Mostly used original squad : Sold Delph 8 m quid to Southampton and bought only : Vasco Regini for 1.9 million and martin Odegaard for 575K.

Couldn't sell Cole, Given or Bent.. so used them and Bent ended up with 13 goals and Cole got 17 starts.

Lost 3rd round FA cup and 4th round league cup.

But managed to get 75 points in EPL and finish runners up.. so Champions league Football next season.

Takeovers: Had a take over bid in January which prevented me buying players due to transfer embargo : It fell through. Have another take over by end of season so also have transfer embargo. Hoping it either fails or goes through before start of new season.

TACTICS: Home tactic was 4 - 3 - 3 with 2 CD, 2 wing backs, 3 CM (one roaming play maker) and 3 attackers. The away tactic was the same : but with 3 CD and 2 CM so 5-2-3 if you like.

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

howdy,

Well my first season with villa and half way through the season i'm sitting in 4th position. Was surprised to beat Arsenal, Man Utd, and Chelsea 5-2 at home. Just saying that i'm impressed with the match engine in this version. It truly delivers.

howdy,

Well my first season with villa and half way through the season i'm sitting in 4th position. Was surprised to beat Arsenal, Man Utd, and Chelsea 5-2 at home. Just saying that i'm impressed with the match engine in this version. It truly delivers.

Great effort. Good luck with the rest of the season

• 3 weeks later...

Just started the Villa Challenge, as no manager appoint to start the game with.

(using latest transfer update via sortitoutsi)

Season 2014/2015

Have not made a whole lot of squad changes, with the exception of selling Hutton and bringing in Dockal.

Transfers Out -

Alan Hutton - Stoke - $4M

Transfers In -

Borek Dockal - Sparta Praha -$2.5M

(all figures in Euro's)

Formation -

Started with a flat 442, but have converted to a 451 with the following -

GK - Guzan - Steer

WB/S - Lowton

WB/S - Cissokho - Richardson

CB - Vlaar

CB - Okore

WM/A - Dockal - Grealish

CM/D - Bacuna

CM/A - Delph

DLP/S - Westwood

WM/A - Agbonlahor

F9/S - Benteke, Weimann

Agbonlahor has been very good cutting from outside and is our leading goal scorer, as has been Weimann in the absent of the injured Benteke. Bennett has just started back in the last 5 games and just starting to find his rhythm. Young Grealish has been an inspiration on he right side and is now first choice over Dockal with some impressive displays.

Guzan has been a bus in front of goals, and the whole defence, especially Lowton have been very dynamic, part from the Man Utd game when we were ripped apart.

In most part the results have been pleasing, got lucky with an own goal against Man City. We are playing a pretty attacking brand of football and creating a lot of chances, but we do squander a lot of clear cut chances.

p9jphyW.png

txnt8dh.png

• 2 weeks later...

Aston Villa

Am35w3C.png

The last time I played with this team was in FM08 where they had a lot of money, very different reality from now that even the leadership was replaced in November and came to be spoken I be fired.

With the lack of money just was possible to sign a player, a well-known forum here being that only had trained in my EMEM the save half epoch in Paderborn and did not yield to assess very well. Outings in a lot of guys borrowed to save wages, and of course the best of all was to have delivered me from Bent who was the more salary earned, and we still have here Given and Joe Cole more.

RzBM2Dy.png

The squad is not much out there beyond, and worst of all is that the save begins with Benteke and Kozak still injured for a while, but when they were available and to get into the best shape Benteke asked to leave and Kozak was injured 3 more months.

Also noteworthy was that Andre Green with 16 years whenever q is possible we will give you minutes and Grealish that by injuring two months was titularissimo the far left, two pearls of our training!

FyqPoDc.png

The results you do not see well are winning 1-0 against City and thrashed 6-1 at Chelsea.

lAnsfnx.png

However with good campaign already committed myself to the direction to qualify for europe league, and personally believe in the UCL.

As for the transfers market spent the last pennies to ensuring that Luka Jovic also very ja here was spoken but have not had the opportunity to train.

Young Traoré European gold

Ja now what are the best players that are cost 0 at the end of the 1st epoch?

Transfer list or loan them, soon as a club shows interest but doesnt make a bid, offer them a swap deal. I did this with Liverpool and Shay Given they showed interest i offered him for free and didnt get a response. So i offered Given as a part ex for one of there younger players, they accepted. I now have 20 year old midfielder on 5k a week rather than a 38 year old on 52k.

• 3 weeks later...

I've decided to return to the club where I had so many attempts at when the game first came out.

I'm keeping my approach of using a profile with just a 'semi-pro' history, instantly putting me under pressure with fans not happy with an unknown being put in charge.

I've been entrusted with a budget of £2.5m and an available wage budget of £35k.

My aim is to finish safely in mid table whilst getting rid of the deadwood and using youth players as much as I can to fill gaps instead of bringing in a lot of new players.

Wish me luck :thup:

Okay so first month over and this how it looks:

Transfers:

In - D.Cataldi - Loan - Lazio

Out - Siegrist, Donacien, Cowans all released on a free.

No major movement in or out shows I want to give this squad a chance to show who is worth keeping and letting go. I only had a budget of £2.5m so it was pointless in my eyes to try and conduct a massive a clear out.

Benteke has been a massive pain. I'm already having papers questioning my position as manager as I failed to give him the new contract I promised him after rejecting a poor bid from Fiorentina for him. Now I would have been more than happy to tie him down for an extra couple of years, but he kept requesting £80k a week, which I could get no where near offering. The transfer window has no closed so i'm hoping he'll just get his head down and play well.

Aston Villa 1-0 Crystal Palace - N'Zogbia.

Man City 1-0 Aston Villa - Gutted, played well on the counter and Gil hit the post in the last minute. Couldn't have asked much more from the team.

Aston Villa 2-0 Plymouth - Bacuna, Gil.

Aston Villa 1-1 QPR - N'Zogbia.

I'm happy that my defence has started quite well. N'Zogbia who i'd normally offload instantly has been brilliant, so i'm glad I chose to give players a chance.

I've managed to involve Green, Suliman, Burke, Grealish and Hayes in at least one of the match day squads so far, sticking to my previous post where I stated I was going to use youth players as much as I can.

I have a tough run of fixtures coming up and with the Benteke situation getting out of hand and effecting morale, this could be a very tricky month.

I have decided to give the team I love and support another go. It will be a little more difficult as a lot of my previous signings (Romero, Balanta etc.) are a lot more expensive.

The best I have achieved with Villa was 3 seasons and highest finish of 7th before moving onto Arsenal (winning anything). I am really struggling to get into a save at the minute so I really need to try and stick with tthis.

I have decided to give the team I love and support another go. It will be a little more difficult as a lot of my previous signings (Romero, Balanta etc.) are a lot more expensive.

The best I have achieved with Villa was 3 seasons and highest finish of 7th before moving onto Arsenal (winning anything). I am really struggling to get into a save at the minute so I really need to try and stick with tthis.

Good luck mate :thup:

I'm trying my hardest to stick at this, it's a tough save.

Well how annoying. Finally settling in and enjoying a save. Had my Villa side in 10th position and only 9 points off 1st after 16 games.

A Ukrainian business consortium take over the club and sack me as they want to bring in their own manager without giving me a chance.

Now where do I go with a low reputation :/

Playing my first Villa save for a long time, and it's gone better than expected so far. Sitting a none too shabby 6th, having been as high as 3rd.

AV002_zps3yedubcd.png

Also little movement on the transfer front due to lack of funds and board giving me little or nothing from sales

AV001_zpsqggjyaky.png

Results have been consistent too. Apart from the embarassing opening day defeat their have been many excellent results

AV003_zpsk1pwgjvq.png

The 3-0 win over Arsenal being a particular highlight and coming back from 2-0 down in the last game against Chelsea in the 93rd minute. So sign of a takeover happening so don't know how long I'll be able to sustain this form without investment.

Benteke's form has been up and down and I've had to speak to him on several occasions when a club becomes interested, and each time he ends up telling me he wants to stay once the interest fizzles out. Klinar has been a revelation and my main creative force with 5 assists. Benteke, Agbonlahor and Sinclair sharing the goalscoring plaudits with 6 a piece.

Plan to offload some more of the deadwood once the transfer window re-opens most of which is in midfield. Could do with getting in some backup at LB so any suggestions for a cheap option will be appreciated.

Guzan has been out since early november with a slipped disc, thankfully Jed Steer has been a more than capable deputy.

End of February. Still no consortium takeover, but I'm thinking it must be close as the board have imposed a transfer embargo. Sitting 3rd after 27 games, a point ahead of Man City; but 9 behind Liverpool in 2nd.

Replaced Okore by bringing in Maya Yoshida from Southampton and Stefan Strandberg from Rosenberg. Injuries had been mounting but the international break has given my squad some time to recover.

Next 6 games look winnable apart from what will surely be a tricky trip to Anfield. Fingers-crossed my amazing season so far does not implode.

Went into the last game third finished sixth, my run of one win in eight killed my season. Granted I overachiever but it was a little disappointing in the end.

However on the bright side I have gotten Benteke to sign new 4 year deal. Will spend the close season clearing out the rest of the deadweight. Hopefully the new Graham Taylor led board will back me in the transfer market. Interesting times ahead

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Aston Villa 2018/19

Disappointed to lose the Club World Cup final, after dominating, not quite sure how I lost this game:

fbjbtc.png

Clocked over into January, Luciano Vietto arrived from Manchester City for £9m, and a few of my players won some personal awards:

sb7y35.png

xkvb0y.png

I've drawn Dynamo Kiev in the next phase of the Champions League, and have Barnsley (I think) in the FA Cup round.

Here is the league table as it stands:

2q18nyc.png

2018/19 season now. Finished third in the last one, but no trophies. Very frustrating exit in the UEFA Cup, and getting the attack and the defense and the midfield to function all at one was a struggle.

Currently, though, I'm in the 75th minute of my quarterfinal matchup with Barcelona in the European Cup. Villa dispatched Juventus relatively easily after qualifying second out of the group. I'm watching the full match.

--

Since my last post, which was mostly a big transfer update, I've made a fair few changes. Jese is gone, and so is Carlos Fierro after he refused to extend his contract. Sigurdson and Lallana are not long for the team, provided I can find someone to take them, and Eugene Konoplyanka is hopefully going to go as well. I think I've sorta figured out a winger-less formation that works for me, the first time I've done so since FM 12. It's also the closest thing to a 3-4-3 I've ever used, so that's nice. Mesut Ozil is playing almost directly between the two centerbacks.

My team was a bit bloated last year, and I've made an effort to slim it down. I signed a few older players, hoping I could use them as tutors, but I got the ol' 'player importance too low' thing. I really loathe the tutoring system. It's gone backwards, but it's still totally necessary if you want to use young players and really optimize your squad. I've mentioned several times on the forums Grod's Law, and tutoring is a very clear example of it: you can't balance a bad mechanic by making it difficult to use.

--

It's 3-3 in the first leg - literally 3-4 as I've typed this sentence - at the Camp Nou. Mario Gotze has a hat-trick, including an overhead kick that bounced off the underside of the crossbar, just over the line, and then back out of the goal. New signing Paulo Roberto, a 22-year old Brazilian poacher, has the fourth from a corner.

I'm playing a 4-3-1-2 formation that's still being actively tinkered with. I had been using Counter, I've switched to Control and now, I think to Attacking. Mentality is Flexible, which is a departure for me as I prefer Structured/Highly Structured, usually. I've ended up with a collection of creative DM/MC types with good passing and vision, plus 10-14 marking and tackling. The idea is to have pressure in midfield and up front, have a guy who can intercept easy passes through the center of midfield, and have big, athletic centerbacks who can deal with crosses easily and effectively.

Part of the idea is to accommodate Guido Vadala; I bought him a few years ago and he's developed into an AMC with the highest finishing on the team. I've used a shadow striker (and a false 9) for the first time, and it's not quiiiite clicking the way I want.

--

Game has finished, 3-4 to Villa. That's the first leg away from home, so I'm in quite a strong position going into the next one. I've had a full week to rest, which is nice, because I've got Arsenal next; Arsenal are second in the league, three points and a game in hand ahead of my Villa. For a while, this has been my tactical experimentation save, and it's only recently that I've played it seriously. Going forward with it, I think I'm going to try to focus heavily playing formations that are new to me, and avoiding 4-4-2 and 4-2-3-1, both of which I use quite a bit in my other saves.

I do have really talented (like really, really talented) wingers out on loan right now, so I'll have to figure out a way to use them that isn't one of those two. Any thoughts? At the moment, I'm thinking a more or less orthodox 3-4-3.

• 2 months later...

FM15, final save file = Aston Villa.

Always wanted to manage them. Holy hell, they're crap. Agbonlahor might be a fan favourite but on those wages? With that talent? Seriously?

So first season, first transfer window was turned off, so I got a budget of 0...

Experimenting with a 4-5-1 formation (set up to be a 4-2-3-1 in attack). I decided Grealish was going to be a first team player alongside Westwood, Vlaar and Okore.

Started off ok but we lacked a clinical goalscorer with Benteke injured:

Crystal Palace - 0-0

Man Utd 1-1

West Ham 1-0

Newcastle 1-0

QPR 1-1

The first five games, not too bad by any means but we simply don't put the chances away.

By the end of the season we finished 8th, with the third best defensive record. The club were taken over by Graham Taylor and we got 20 million to use for the next season.

My transfers:

IN: Nothing but one loan signing.

OUT:

Nathan Baker - 2.4 million to Burnley

Carlos Sanchez - 8.25 million to AC Milan.

Christian Benteke - 16.5 million to Chelsea (Raising to 20)

All of them wanted to leave, so I let them.

In pre-season I started the rebuild!

OUT: 27 players released on free, including Bent.

Gary Gardner - Portsmouth 625k,

Kieran Richardson - Bournemouth for 1 million.

Jores Okore - Arsenal 15million (He demanded to leave...)

Yacouba Sylla - QPR 2 million (lol overpaid!)

IN:

Davide Zappacosta - Fullback from Atalanta for 3million,

Youssef El Arabi - Forward from Granada 2.9 million,

Massadioa Haidara - FUllback from Newcastle for 8 million,

Michael Carrick - Midfielder, Manchester United, FREE,

Scott Sinclair - Midfielder, Man City, 2.5million,

Kamil Gilk - Centre back, Torino, 4 million.

The fixture list is painful though, Manchester City, Chelsea and Arsenal in the first five. :(

Second season:

Won the Capital One Cup, beating Chelsea 2-1 (hah).

Lost in the Semi FInals of the FA Cup to Spurs on penalties.

Won the Premier League, pipping Liverpool by 2 points on the final day - they had a 6 point lead but lost to United, Chelsea and then us 3-1.

Just the tiniest change of personnel (Zappacosta, El Arabi, Carrick and Gilk) meant we could win a lot of games with ease due to the step up in quality. El Arabi, Sinclair and Grealish were rampant. Sinclair got footballer of the year, Grealish got young footballer of the year. Fun times.

Second season:

Won the Capital One Cup, beating Chelsea 2-1 (hah).

Lost in the Semi FInals of the FA Cup to Spurs on penalties.

Won the Premier League, pipping Liverpool by 2 points on the final day - they had a 6 point lead but lost to United, Chelsea and then us 3-1.

Just the tiniest change of personnel (Zappacosta, El Arabi, Carrick and Gilk) meant we could win a lot of games with ease due to the step up in quality. El Arabi, Sinclair and Grealish were rampant. Sinclair got footballer of the year, Grealish got young footballer of the year. Fun times.

Mind posting your tactic?

• 2 weeks later...

I have decided to give Villa one last go before FM16 comes out.

Target: The club want me to finish around 15th. I want closer to mid-table but would take Premiership survival in my first season.

Being a Villa fan, I am well aware of all the deadwood at the club so I have sacked every member of the backroom staff and brought in my own team. I have then had a good luck at the u21 and u18 squads and got rid of anyone who isnt going to make it at the club. No point keeping them around even if it does mean them sides struggle short term.

Transfers:

In: Itumeleng Khune (£1m), Jeffrey Bruma (£2.5m), Munir (Loan).

Out: Shay Given (£500k - Liverpool), Nathan Baker (£3m - Crystal Palace), Charles N'Zogbia (Free - Crystal Palace), Loads of u21/u18 players.

In an ideal world i would be able to bring in a striker and I was close to a swap deal with Agbonlahor and Ings but Ings wage demands were crazy so I walked away. If I can bring in a left footed, right sided Inside forward to take the pressure off Munir, that would also be ideal.

I will update as I go on.

I too started a save with Villa recently, best thing you can do is sign Roberto on loan from Barca, was going to suggest Munir as well but you already got him on loan, they played really well for me, also get rid of Agbonlahor and play Ayew up front, you could do with buying another striker, Valon Berisha was decent for me, scout Red Bull Salzburg first team and their youth teams, they have loads of good, young players that can be bought cheaply, I have to say my best signing has been Tonny Trinidade de Vilhena from Feynoord, signed him for 7.5m over 48 months and has been a bargain for me.

I sold Clark, Hutton, N'Zogbia and Crespo which bought me in 10m to my transfer budget in the first season, I ended up 17th in the first season due to trying to find a decent formation, make sure you sort your tactics out first and don't be afraid to change it up if it aint working.

I ended the 2nd season as 14th in the league, my transfers were rubbish in the 2nd season with nobody I signed made an impression other then Alvaro Pereira on loan from Inter, I also signed Thomas Carroll and Jamie Vardy but they barely played.

Managed to get 20m in from sales of Agbonlahor, Berisha, Gertside, Bacuna, Siegrist, Senderos and Cissokho.

3rd season signings were good, managed to sign Phil Jones,Dodo, Romeu and McManaman, made 18m in player sales with Westwood, Steer, Guzan, Vardy, Carroll, Sinclair, Baker, Amavi and others.

Looking forward to the 3rd season in charge.

Archived