FM15 - The Vanarama Conference, North & South thread

CityAndColour

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

don't find a lot of time to play the game theses days but playing lower leagues seems to hold a lot of fun for me.

have had to start the game and let in run 1 season so I can get to play as Dorchester.

so here goes with my game might take a lot of time to get through a season but onwards and upwards we go

now to find some players that will play for us for hardly any money

So seeing as its FA Cup weekend irl and Fc United have just beaten Postmouth in a reply to book our place in the 3rd round, with all the big boys coming into this round we were giving a very very tasty draw, its going to be special cup match and can we pull off a massive upset and get one famous victory.

dljqrd.png

I'm going to do my update now because I probably will eat tea soon and I dont think I'll finish the season this weekend...

It's season 5 just south of the Tyne and Gateshead are surprising all the critics, not to mention former manager Gary Mills who has been very critical of me in the press for some strange reason - I am flying high in the Championship, floating around the playoff places after 35 games. I did get top spot early in the season, in fact it's probably been the best start to a season since I took over way back in the conference. However a couple of bad runs means automatic promotion is currently 12 points away... not going to happen!

We have the top 2 scorers in the league in the form of Adam Armstrong & Oliver Sarkic. Sadly Lisandro Semedo 'did a Sturridge' and got injured for 4 or 5 months but does look tasty.

I have made a slight tactical change of moving the wingers back from AML/R to just ML/R and setup as '2 banks of 4' to try and reduce the amount of goals I generally conceed. I think it has had a positive impact in beating teams that are much better than me.

In the January window we did bring in Wilson Eduardo to cover for Semedo which probably spells the end of Adam Reach at the club. We sold Jack Dunn for 52k (his contract was going anyway) and Matthew Connolly for about £150k - interestingly they went to Fulham/Brighton respectively and are stuck in the reserves. Seems strange as they both wanted to get on the pitch but not my problem.

As we enter the final furlong our main man in defence has fractured ribs and may just get back for the end of the season. Hopefully it doesn't impact on our playoff hopes.

Also of interest, we have been taken over by local business man Ross French, he has made the club a limited company which injected £1mil in to clubs finances and I am to get 80% of transfer revenue now (was 60%) Hopefully he likes me because I still want to make Gateshead the biggest club in the North East!

I also get rubbish regens every year and comments on the state of the pitch every winter. Hopefully some general improvements to the facilities are coming along with the new ownership!

RB - Are you running that save alongside your Bury one? I usually do a search for unattached staff with 'motivating' and 'tactical knowledge' as a minimum of 12. Usually throws up some good options. The other thing to consider is at that level you won't get enough coaches to cover all key areas, so it may be worth getting an assistant who can take fitness training, or 'keeping training etc.

chef - Good luck, I have a real soft spot for Dorchester due to saves with them in both FM13 and 14.

Graham - Bet that draw made the replay with Portsmouth even more tense!

profii - Great progress, that's your first season in the Championship right?

What a great thread!

I have not played since before Christmas and was thinking of getting back into the game before the next update, after reading this thread I have came back to managing in England in the lower leagues.

I went on holiday for the first year and got the Hereford job, I feel a little dirty given how much of a wage bill they have.

I sort of evened it up a bit by saying 'I could challenge for promotion' after they only wanted a safe mid table finish, they then came back with the job offer with 'win promotion', not quite the same as I said I could do but adds a bit more pressure,given the wage budget of 16k it should be doable though.

Quick update on few key things for this season

We played United and even managed to take the lead for bout 10 mins before we were steam rolled but it was a good performance and was happy in the end

2qtl2dw.png

So so close to a unbeaten season but we came to a 2-0 defeat on the 37 game in the league

1088bw0.png

As for the great run in the league we managed to do very well in the JPT too and book our place in the final and too Wembley again

fdx5oz.png

The game was over after 8 mins and we were never threaten at all in the match but we add another trophy to the cabinet and are on for the double

To me that's the appeal - if it ever gets to being Leamington v Barcelona, it will be because I got them there all the way from the bottom.

Also, a 34-year-old Mark Noble just signed on a free. Physically he is declining but he is still outstanding mentally, so I'll just have him sit in front of the back four.

To me that's the appeal - if it ever gets to being Leamington v Barcelona, it will be because I got them there all the way from the bottom.

Same reason I play LLM, My first goal is to get to the premier League, Then compete and over take Man Utd in the league, Then compete in europe and the final piece of the puzzle win the champions league

Oh how I dream big which makes this game oh so more rewarding when you achieve your goals

Also, a 34-year-old Mark Noble just signed on a free. Physically he is declining but he is still outstanding mentally, so I'll just have him sit in front of the back four.

No, I get the appeal, I'd just rather do it with a team I can imagine will be there 'name wise'.

Christ that sounds incredibly corporate of me now that I think about it. XD

reason I play LLM, is to get to the premier League, Then in europe and win the champions league and trying to do it on a shoe string.

also I like to play as my local team if possible (that's if they don't get relegated in real life and make my life hard before I start).

that's not to say I don't play with the bigger teams up the leagues, but I find it more fun and rewarding in the lower leagues

I do it to create careers more than anything. My progress is usually quite slow because rather than sign a new and improved team every season (which is very possible), I prefer to give my players every chance to impress at each level. Nothing pleases me more than seeing players (especially newgens) make 3-400 appearances.

I am having the season of my life in this save with Hereford.

I normally do quite well in lower leagues but this season is breaking all records.

I am now 21 games in and I am actually unbeaten, I have 8 draws and 13 wins, I have only conceded 8 goals all season.

The only game I have lost is on the FA trophy, even then I should have won.

I am in the FA cup 3rd round and I have the dream tie, away to Arsenal, that money will set us up for a couple of seasons.

In the FA cup we did well in our draws, the only team in the professional leagues was Tranmere in the 1st round proper and they are in terrible shape.

They are bottom of league 2 and they have 6 players on loan that all of them can not play in cup games, we drew at their place and the replay they also had 5 players injured!

In the 2 round we had a non league side and then it set up the game against Arsenal, I jumped out of my seat when I seen the draw.

I am starting to wonder if I can go the whole season unbeaten.

I changed the tactics after 10 games as we were just to defensive but now I am seeing a few goals starting to go in and we seem to be in a good place.

Since my last update, I managed to finish 3rd in the Championship and obviously went into the playoffs - we initially faced Wigan, who won and lost against us in the season.

We lost the first game 1-2, but won the home leg 3-1 to put us through to the final. My first visit to Wembley! We were to face Huddersfield which was a relief as I beat them twice in the season. We won 2-0 infront of an 88000 strong crowd and that was us up into the Premier league!

The board instantly took out a 30mil loan to build a new 19000 seater stadium. That's due to be completed at the end of our first year.

So we obviously had a bit of work to do, as we were pretty defensive all through the Championship season which goes against my ethos of pass and move style play.

I foolishly let go of too many players and only left myself with 2 centre midfielders (Kane Ferdinand and Salvatore Molina) Molina turned out to be pretty resiliant but there were some injuries to Kane which meant my left back was filling in as ball winning midfielder quite often!

anyway, we brought in:

Adam Armstrong - club favourite on loan from Newcastle again, got 12 goals this season

Cameron Borthwick Johnson- Released from Man Utd- pacey centre back which offers improvement on what we currently have.

Anastasios Donis - a greek AMC who should be able to provide cover for Tom Lawrence, however had a major injury and was didn't really make an impact.

We were only given 800k to spend so I basically stuck it all in wages.

Once we got to January, I upped my target to avoid relegation to give me a bit more money to play with (As I was desperate for centre mid cover!) and I brought in:

Marton Patik - ball winner regen on £600 p/w just as cover really. Looks decent though, tempted to try and get him.

Humam Tariq - on the loan list at Fiorentina, my scouts said sign at any price, so that is what I did... he came on loan for 6 months.

We received offers for Lloyd Jones (£2.9mil) & Wilson Eduardo (2.2mil) both wanted to go so I thought I'd cash in. First time I've sold anyone for over 1mil!

To replace them I brought in Antonio Martin (2mil) and Massimo Bruno (1.3mil)

Throughout the season we took a pummelling left right and centre, although we did manage to kind of hover in the lower echelons of the table high enough to not really have to worry about relegation - in the end we finished 14th which I think is great.

The board have given me a budget of £40mil and £400k to spend on wages which is over double the budget I had previously. I am really hoping to bring wholesale improvements to my team and at least get a steady top half finish this year... If not Europe!

It was interesting that despite my rubbish form we sold out every single home game this year :D

Anyway some pictures, I don't usually bother but here you are:

Squad:

ZRdqZOA.png

Transfers:

VeKSqy4.png

Finance:

mciAhm4.png

Progress through the season:

ABMFrg3.png

Season 1 with Margate was easy, but threw up a very bias transfer market and I missed out a few times on top quality players.

I also played Tom Phipp at DM rather than a winger.

Also had a takeover at end of season.

VanaramaConferenceSouth_OverviewStages-3_zps4930e4dd.png

2nd season and spent 1st half of season playing Home games at Maidstone due to ground improvements.

Luke Moore, Della Verde and Tom Phipp had an outstanding season, but Tom is starting to be a bench player.

Competitions_Competitions-5_zps0408ba04.png

daylight - Hereford a very sad case in real life but they are quite a dominant lower league save on the game, great stuff.

profii - fantastic first season in the Premier League, interesting that your key players are all still real and now newgens.

knap - Tom Phipp is one of my favourite lower league players of recent versions, as his long range and set piece ability can be lethal. Surprised you haven't played him in a more attacking role.

Finally, with the final update now out, I can post screenshots of my key players:

4yVdygK.jpg

Leamington career stats: 187(5) appearances, 30 goals, 51 assists, 17 MotM

The heartbeat of our midfield. After being released by Man City's academy, he was snapped up and has sat in the playmaker role ever since.

---

Krph2L9.jpg

Leamington career stats: 76(1) appearances, 43 goals, 33 assists, 9 MotM

The crown jewel of the side. Since being released by Everton, he has developed into probably the best forward in the division as a lone false nine. Currently leads the league in goals, assists and average rating.

---

65KXeTb.jpg

Leamington career stats: 100(2) appearances, 42 goals, 29 assists, 14 MotM

Just tremendous. Signed on a free in the Conference, he was important down the stretch as we clinched promotion, then absolutely lit up League Two. He hasn't shown signs of slowing down either, with another 14 valuable midfield goals in the current campaign.

---

n3EIpsm.jpg

Leamington career stats: 72(3) appearances, 8 goals, 1 assist, 4 MotM

A product of Southampton's famed academy, he is a typical no-nonsense centre half and has established himself as a key component in the heart of defence, belying his tender years. My coaches feel he has a lot of improvement left in him yet.

---

ffuHt13.jpg

Leamington career stats: 169(12) appearances, 62 goals, 44 assists, 24 MotM

Released by Arsenal, he has been irreplaceable down the right wing, with his sheer pace causing havoc everywhere. Won the Conference player of the season award in his first full season at the club, and continues to impress in the Football League. Astonishigly injury prone however, with 24 different injuries in his five seasons here.

---

And a couple of academy products...

7MYJpy1.jpg

Leamington career stats: 165(9) appearances, 3 goals, 20 assists, 1 MotM

Came along in the 2018 intake and was established as our first choice left back within 12 months. He gets no love from the match sponsors but he has been as reliable and durable as anyone at the club.

---

KkNwe2h.jpg

Leamington career stats: 23(19) appearances, 0 goals, 5 assists, 0 MotM

Came through in the 2020 intake (our final Conference season) however didn't make his debut until we reached League Two. he is currently being tutored by Mark Noble and I have high hopes for him in a box to box role.

Hey guys,

Just starting this up with Stockport. I'm probably being very stupid, but what's the best way to find unattached players and unattached staff? Again, I'm probably just overlooking something!

I like to sign new scouts every season in the lower leagues as they will present a scouting report upon signing.

I'm up to my 3rd season in the prem and I didn't think it would be this hard to attract proper quality to my side. I'm struggling to just avoid relegation however... this season I've signed 2 defenders and a midfielder and it's all turned around.

I've beat Chelsea, United and Liverpool for the first time ever (I think I've not done better than 0-4 previously against anyone!!)

I'm in 11 games into the season and looking good for 3rd, obviously early days but suddenly things have clicked - hopefully we get maintain this and mount a challenge for Europe and really ramp the finances up!

I ditched Sheyi Ojo (who went to West ham on 110k p/w!!) for 14mil and brought in Marco Benassi of Inter (2.6mil / 45k per week.. gone are the days of star strikers in the conf on £900p/w!) which seems to have worked wonders

I also had to swap Sinan Kurt (17mil after signing on a free) for Julian Green (13mil) I dont think this was an upgrade but Kurt just never fit in well, Green seems to be doing better than his attributes would suggest so happy days!

I also brought in Alex Mowatt from Leeds- I compare him to Molina who I have, a slow winger but works well as a deep lying play maker.

The best thing so far though - 2 of my young regens (admitedly I've signed them, not developed) are now in the England squad :D no caps yet though

CityAndColour - Leamington FC - League Two - 2021/22

Leamingtonfcbadge.png

League: 5th (lost playoff final)

FA Cup: 2nd round (lost at Fleetwood)

League Cup: 1st round (lost to Bristol City)

Johnstone's Paint Trophy: 1st round (lost to Exeter)

Top scorer: Kyle Reid (31)

Most assists: Kyle Reid (16)

Highest average rating: Kyle Reid (7.39)

Fans' player of the season: Kyle Reid

---

Another season and a sense of deja vu, as yet another first half red card cost us in the playoff final. With an automatic promotion spot in the balance, we only won two of our last 11 games to fall to 5th. Notts County were dispatched 5-1 on aggregate in the semi final, before Alex Marrow picked up two yellows in the first half an hour in the playoff final against Forest Green. Despite conceding 29 shots, an Otis Khan free kick stunner in the 85th minute ensured extra time, and this drifted into penalties. Unfortunately, we only converted one spot kick, allowing FGR the luxury of missing two of their own and still getting revenge for the Conference playoff final two years prior.

All season it was the Kyle Reid show, as he led the league in goals (30) and assists (15), although for some reason the player of the season award went to a striker with less goals, assists, a lower average rating and missing the playoffs. Go figure. Khan was not as mercurial as last season, and his head was turned by interest from Championship winners Swansea in March, but he still produced 18 goals and 14 assists. Mr Consistency Pete Wilson helped himself to 15 assists too.

---

2014/15 - Leamington - Conference North - 1st (promoted as champions)

2015/16 - Leamington - Conference - 13th

2016/17 - Leamington - Conference - 9th

2017/18 - Leamington - Conference - 13th

2018/19 - Leamington - Conference - 9th

2019/20 - Leamington - Conference - 2nd (promoted via playoffs)

2020/21 - Leamington - League Two - 4th (lost playoff final)

2021/22 - Leamington - League Two - 5th (lost playoff final)

Unlucky again CityAndColour - so close. With a striker like Reid, you should make it soon though.

* I notice in the new update that Aldershot only have 16 'real' players on their books across all squads, no transfer funds, and no spare wage budget. That sounds like a challenge.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like this thread has died a little bit!

Still plugging away with Leamington. We've just hit the new year in the 22/23 season and we're in the top three again, although it's tight. Hopefully we can stay there and avoid a third straight playoff exit.

Reid is still leading the line admirably with 18 goals, and the ever-present Wilson has been our best player in the midfield playmaker role. We haven't really missed Khan (who is sitting in Swansea's u21s and set to "not needed" - strange transfer) and have replaced him with a combination of newgens Calvin Massey (AML) and Jon Caton (AMR), and also Fabian Delph in the box to box role, who is still quality at age 32.

Debt levels are rising - we did all the hard work to get to the FA Cup 3rd round, and then got probably the worst draw possible (Championship side Brentford away, which we likely won't win, and given their average attendance is a paltry 8K, we won't make much money off it either).

rDZoj9Z.jpg

The end of an era :(

Last remaining player from the original Conference North squad I inherited (although two others are on the coaching staff), the captain and the club's record games holder with 410 appearances. Unfortunately he couldn't handle being third choice centre half, and moves to a club where he should start most games.

CityAndColour - Leamington FC - League Two - 2022/23

Leamingtonfcbadge.png

League: 2nd (promoted)

FA Cup: 4th round (lost at Everton)

League Cup: 1st round (lost to Brentford on penalties)

Johnstone's Paint Trophy: South semi-final (lost to Cambridge on penalties)

Top scorer: Kyle Reid (37)

Most assists: Calvin Massey (15)

Highest average rating: Kyle Reid (7.45)

Fans' player of the season: Kyle Reid

---

After experience the heartbreak of playoff final defeat for two seasons in a row, we set out determined to avoid the playoffs altogether. We were undefeated in our first dozen matches as we shot straight to the top end of the table, and from that point on we only dropped out of the top three places once. Promotion was secured with six to play, although silly dropped points after this meant we were still left looking up at Notts County com the end of the season. Still, 91 points is nothing to sneeze at, and we go into League On full of confidence and momentum.

In the cups we were equally impressive. After getting through to the south semi in the JPT, we hosted League One side Cambridge, dominated them and lost on penalties. We went to Championship side Brentford in the FA Cup 3rd round and were well worth a 2-1 win, before a trip to Goodison Park netted us around £400k in gate money.

Kyle Reid continued his electric form in a Leamington shirt, striking 37 times to make it 90 goals (and 47 assists) in his three seasons at the New Windmill Ground, and only a groin strain stopped him from breaking the 40-goal mark. He was well supported by Calvin Massey, signed from Middlesbrough for £45k, whose 24 goals and 15 assists as an inside forward earned him the league's player of the season award (although curiously didn't join his team mate in the team of the year). Pete Wilson, promoted to club captain after the January departure of Jamie Tank, had yet another consistent season in the middle of the park with his 5th consecutive campaign of at least 10 league assists.

Perhaps the most pleasing aspect of this career so far has been a steady stream of youth players making it into the first team picture. Bill Diskin has now made 223 first team appearances at left back, and scored the goal which clinched promotion against Bristol Rovers. James Coleman has also now made 105 appearances in midfield, while 16-year-old Wade Kirby made seven starts and 31 appearances overall. In fact the last 20 minutes of the league season were played with no less than five youth products on the field.

---

2014/15 - Leamington - Conference North - 1st (promoted as champions)

2015/16 - Leamington - Conference - 13th

2016/17 - Leamington - Conference - 9th

2017/18 - Leamington - Conference - 13th

2018/19 - Leamington - Conference - 9th

2019/20 - Leamington - Conference - 2nd (promoted via playoffs)

2020/21 - Leamington - League Two - 4th (lost playoff final)

2021/22 - Leamington - League Two - 5th (lost playoff final)

2022/23 - Leamington - League Two - 2nd (promoted)

Figured I may as well post this in here as well as my thread in FMCU.

St_albans.png

St Albans City FC

2014-2015 Season

Vanarama Conference South

The Situation

As previously mentioned I chucked my name into the hat for a number of roles but on the 20th October 2014, St Albans offered me the role of manager until the end of the season. I delayed the offer and officially took over on the 27th October 2014. The board set out the expectations and expected me to meet them in order to have a chance of remaining manager for the longer term. The club were 19th out of 21 when I took over and just two points above the relegation zone. With a media prediction of 16th and spending over the wage budget by about £600 there wasn't much room to manoeuvre with and I would have to wheel and deal or make do with what I had.

The club was already out of the FA Cup having lost against Dulwich Hamlet in a replay in the Second Qualifying Round. In the league things weren't much better as the club had only managed to win two games from thirteen in the league. Having only recorded four other points things were going to be tough.

I decided I would settle on a 4-3-2-1 formation with three central midfielders and two wingers. I would be aiming to play a defensive brand of football in the hope of starving the opposition before getting a goal or two. This system remained for the remainder of the season but the defensive form went out the window during the first game. Our initial form was what you would consider new manager syndrome as we won our first six league games but lost the FA Trophy match. Our next nine games from that only saw us win one game before our next three games saw us pick up four points from a possible nine. Our last nine games of the season saw us remain consistent as we went on a five match unbeaten run which in turn resulted in a 5 match winless streak depending on which way you look at it.

Despite this we were never really in with a chance of reaching the play-offs or in any danger of being sucked into the relegation battle. The club have backed me since I took charge allowing me to bring in new members of staff, getting a senior affiliate in Grimsby Town, going on a course for my C licence and best of all giving me a new contract with a £125 payrise until the end of the 2016 season.

Transfer wise we saw James Smith(DL/ML) and Elliott Bailey(STC) leave on free transfers due to a lack of first team football whilst Jamie Mullan(AML) went back to TNS after his month or so loan spell ended. I attempted to renew the deal but he wasn't interested. Ishmel Demontagnac(AML) was my first official signing on a free transfer as he joined from Thurrock until the end of the season. He repaid the faith as he scored 10 goals in 20 league appearances which earned him a new deal for the new season. Joe English(MC) extended his loan from Swindon until the end of the season whilst Kris Fawcett(STC) joined on loan from parent club Grimsby towards the end of January.

New contracts have been issued out and Lee Chappell(DL), Alfred Bosch(DC), Matty Taylor(MC), James Comley(MC), Joe Welch(GK) and the previously mentioned Demontagnac in extending their part-time contracts until the end of the 2016 season. Omar Beckles(DC) agreed a new non-contract terms with us but due to his good form he's now being chased by five teams. One of these has put in an offer for him whilst we have offered him a £250 part-time contract for two seasons. Mayson Tewkesbury(GK) is already contracted until the 2016 season whilst youth candidates Ollie Johnson(MC), Zac Thurlbourne(DC) and Andrew Walker(DC) have been promoted to the first team.

The Future

The board have set the initial budgets for the new season with a wage budget of £5,622 and no transfer budget. We're currently spending £3,600 or so which gives a bit of room to strengthen the squad. Financially we've gone into the red for the first time during my reign which is a good thing. However, things are expected to get worse so we could do with a cup run in the FA Cup next season. Graham Golds left his position as assistant manager as I terminated his non-contract deal. The initial response for a new assistant hasn't given us any great candidates so I'm currently assistantless.

I'm only guessing but I am thinking anytime you get more points than games played you would be pretty unlucky to get relegated.

Demontagnac is a really good signing for that level, and Beckles is one of the better centre halves going around at that level. How are you finding your second season? I always find you need to get promoted early as it can get harder and harder to attract quality players on the North/South.

St_albans.png

St Albans City FC

2015-2016 Season

Pre-Season

Board Expectations & Media Predictions

Vanarama Conference South: Top Half Finish

Media Prediction: 9th

Title Odds: 150-1

FA Cup: Fourth Qualifying Round

FA Trophy: First Round

Transfers

The board kindly stuck to their provisional budgets when they officially announced the budgets which meant I could get started on trying to strengthen the squad and bring in players who I felt could make a difference. My staff found and recommended a number of good players and as I tried to bring them in on trial to see how they would fit in with the team, I soon found out that not many of them were interested. I also had the issue of players accepting contracts with other clubs despite me offering them what I thought were good terms. Despite this we've still seen a lot of action in terms of player arrivals and departures. Incoming we have seen 11 players arrive whilst outgoing we have seen 10 players depart the club. Ideally I would have liked to have kept some of the players who have departed Clarence Park but that's the life of a non league football club.

Outgoing we saw the following players depart the club;

Cameron Lancaster - The former Spurs youngster refused to open talks regarding a new contract. Despite being inconsistent last season he was still one of our best players and I was disappointed to see him leave on a free. As you can he's joined parent club Grimsby.

Danny Green - Mr Versatile. Danny is a handy player for a non league club. Unfortunately he wasn't good enough for any of the positions and due to him moaning a couple of times towards the end of the season about lack of first team football I felt it was best for all parties if he left.

Darren Locke - Darren was always a back up member of the team. I don't think he played a game for me since I took over last season so it was best for all parties if he left.

Jamal Lowe - Jamal has one thing that lower league clubs love, pace. Unfortunately he didn't use it to good effect last season. In the league last season he contributed to just 3 goals in 25 appearances. That's assists and goals. Despite this he fancied doubling his wages to over £500 to sign a new deal. I was interested so I allowed him to leave where he's joined Crawley who are in League Two.

James Kaloczi - James was actually my third choice centre half and I wanted to keep him. I did offer him new non-contract terms when Gloucester offered him a contract but he decided that he was best off moving to pastures new.

Jay Dowie - I liked Jay as a player and he offered us a lot. Unfortunately the big dogs of the league came calling and offered him what I can only imagine were better non-contract terms.

John Kyriacou - Another who moaned about his lack of first team football towards the back of last season. Being on £350 per week and not making an appearance since I took over, it was a no brainer to allow him to leave.

Michael Malcolm - Michael never really impressed in the chances he was given last season so with him coming towards the end of his contract I felt it was best to allow him to leave.

Sam Corcoran - Sam is a good player. Unfortunately he got sent off too many times in a short space of time. Off the top of my head he was sent off three times in a short space of games through second yellows. At the time he picked up his third red he had only received four yellows. I planned not to use him again but injuries meant he played. He was fined many times last season so I'll happily allow him to leave.

Steve Wales - Steve just wasn't of the desired quality for the coming season due to his age. Therefore I allowed him to leave at the end of his contract.

Incoming transfers were;

Jonathan-Pierre Jones - The former West Brom youngster should hopefully be a good signing for this level and hopefully he'll provide us with some goals. He'll probably start the season as first choice.

Paul Rodgers - The former Arsenal youngster has slowly dropped down the leagues. A fairly local lad he should provide good competition with Howard Hall for the right back berth with Rodgers just shading it for the time being.

James Reid - The former Forest youngster has been plying his trade in the East Midlands since his release from the mighty reds. Most notably with Ilkeston. Another good option to have on the wing whether it be right or left.

Jordan Goddard - The youngster joins us on a free from Leamington. He'll provide us with another option in the middle of the park.

George Cleet - The youngster joins from Brighton. He's cheap, has height which coupled with good potential should see him be a useful back up option for the season.

Lee Bates - This 15 year old was recommended to me by his agent towards the back end of last season. As soon as he was I was interested. I've had to wait for him to arrive but I'm sure he'll be a great option for us already. Already considered to be one of my best central midfielders.

Liam Enver-Marum - The 27 year old is signed from Basingstoke on a free transfer. Not initially one of my first choices but when I realised he was interested I worked hard to get him to join. Scored a few against us last season as he notched 8 in 26 league games. Hopefully he can repeat that form this season.

Luke Pigden - Despite being rated as a better left midfielder by my scouts and staff. I'm planning on using Luke as part of my three man central midfield for the coming season. Had a good season for Kingstonian last season getting nine assists in thirty-four games. Hopefully he can make the step up and do the same again this season. Has the added benefit of being good at penalties, corners and free-kicks.

Curtis Haynes-Brown - A left back signed from Lowestoft on a free. Will provide good competition for Lee Chappell for the left back spot whilst having the ability to fill in at centre back if needed. Much like Chappell he's armed with a long throw which could come in handy this season.

Sam Collins - Another option as cover for the right or left wing. Signed from Concord Rangers where he had an ok season last year.

Mike Symons - The experienced front man signed from Worcester where he got 8 goals in 20 odd appearances last season. Much like Enver-Marum, hopefully he can repeat that form this season.

Backroom Staff

The backroom staff saw a few changes as

Simon Lane(Chief Scout), Steve Bateman(Head Physio) and Arran Southgate(HoYD) were replaced by Anthony Riviere(HoYD), Danny Knowles(Scout) and Ken Oram(Coach). Unfortunately I've not been able to hire an assistant manager yet as there have been no suitable candidates. I would like to promote Mick HHalsall but he's not interested in renewing his contract yet.

Pre-Season Results

Pre-Season%20Results%202015-16_zpsj3nccpnm.png

We started off our pre-season with a good win against Chesham. This game was followed by a three match winless streak against Bristol City, Kettering and Dulwich Hamlet. In the Bristol City match we took the lead but their quality showed through but we can be proud of the way we played. The two games against the other non-league sides were close games so I'm fairly pleased with the runout we got from these games. A confident performance at home to parent club Grimsby meant I was getting a little confident with our preparations and that they were good. We wrapped up pre-season with a 1-1 draw at Bishops Stortford. A game which we bossed from start to finish we just couldn't finish our chances.

Finances

Financially we're just over £11,000 in the black. The board have also allowed me to start taking my National B Licence.

St_albans.png

St Albans City FC

2015-2016 Season

August

Results

We started off the season with a good win against Gosport. New signing Jonathan-Pierre Jones scored before the two minute mark. Unfortunately by 23 minutes he'd picked up a thigh injury which would rule him out for three months. Mike Symons got himself a hat-trick as it was a day for the new boys. A solid 2-0 win against Bath continued the good start before two draws and a defeat cost us as we moved slightly down the table. A strong 3-1 win for a back up team ensured we ended the month strongly.

Result%20August%202015_zpsc2v0xakz.png

League Table

Vanarama%20Conference%20South%20-%20August%202015_zpsqbmzjnwm.png

We ended the month fifth and in the play-offs despite the three match winless run.

In other news. Phil Starkey left the club whilst Bobby Davison joined assistant manager.

St_albans.png

St Albans City FC

2015-2016 Season

September

Results

We started off the month with two draws in even games. Our third game of the month saw us narrowly lose to Wealdstone 2-1 despite us being the better side. An entertaining game against Oxford City saw them run out winners and whilst I'm annoyed to lose we did well to come back from 4-1 down at half-time. We ended up finishing the month with two games against Chesham. We couldn't dispatch them away from home and needed a replay. In the replay we led for about 40 minutes before they scored late on. Luckily for us Manny Soetan scored a stoppage time winner to send us through we will face Tring.

Results%20Sept%202015_zpsvfsplroa.png

League Table

In the league we sit in a respectable 10th and just four points off the play-offs. I'll take that after a winless month in the league.

Vanarama%20Conference%20South-%20Sept%202015_zpswgj2abaq.png

John Frendo decided to leave the club. He'd stayed at the club on a month to month basis despite his contract expiring in the summer. He moaned a few times about lack of first team football. I gave him some game time but after this he kicked up a fuss again and decided he should leave.

I decided to see what other opportunities were out there. I decided to apply for the Bradford City role who were near the bottom of League Two. Unfortunately the interview process was over and I was rejected.

Bradford%20Job%20Rejection_zps8s37hhzy.png

The Dagenham & Redbridge role came up as well and with them mid-table in the Conference that also interested me. Once again though for another reason they rejected my interest.

Dag%20amp%20Red%20Job%20Application_zpsplobbjjk.png

Dag%20amp%20Red%20Rejection_zpsmw7kteuz.png

St_albans.png

St Albans City FC

2015-2016 Season

October

Results

We started off October with a 3-3 draw against one of the title favourites in Ebbsfleet. They were the better side and took the lead after 10 minutes. We equalised on 22 before Ebbsfleet regained the lead on 37. That lead was shortlived as we managed to pull level just before half-time. Despite Ebbsfleet's dominance we took the lead on 63. Danny Kedwell scored a penalty for Ebbsfleet on 86 minutes to ruin what would have been a great win for us. Our second match of the month saw us face Tring. We were comfortable throughout and Tring didn't managed to register a shot until about 70 minutes. We progressed to the next round where we will face Cirencester. Havant & Waterlooville presented our next opposition and whilst we again weren't the better side we found ourselves two up after 60 minutes. Bradley Bubb pulled one back for them in 62 and I thought we'd hold on until the end. Unfortunately for us Mitch Harding had other ideas and scored a 8 minute brace with goals on 82 and 90 give them the win. Whitehawk were next up and it was a fairly boring game. We didn't create enough chances whilst Whitehawk squandered theirs. Luke Pigden scored a 94th minute penalty to give us the win. Cirencester were our opposition in the next round of the FA Cup and we comfortably dispatched them with a 2-0 win. This gave us a tie at home to Rochdale which would also be selected for television and boosting our coffers by £70k. Our final two games of the month were boring draws against Basingstoke and Hayes & Yeading.

October%202015%20Results_zpszibz82fd.png

League Table

We finished the month in 11th but still only four points off the play-offs.

Vanarama%20Conference%20South%20-%20Oct%202015_zpsvjrej47d.png

Due to a lack of form from my strikers we saw three join the ranks. Those were Ben Mackey who joined from St Neots on non-contract terms. Ben's a good option having scored 186 goals in 318 league games over his career. Elyon Marshall-Katung joined the club on a free transfer until the end of the season. He already looks good enough to play for us and is also fairly cheap. Joe Ward was the final player to join us as he also joins on a free until the end of the season.

Over the course of October we received some good and bad news depending on what way you looked at it. The board decided to increase the percentage of player sales retained .

I decided to apply for the Blackpool job to which my interest was laughed off. They then confirmed that I had been unsuccessful in my application. This forced the board to express their disappointment with my decision and asked me to apologise or resign. I apologised and was informed that my apology was accepted.

We drew Havant & Waterlooville in the FA Trophy Qualifying Round and I was asked whether I would like to play extra-time after the first game if need be or to go a replay. Not fancying the possibility of a replay should it come to that I accepted extra-time only for our opposition to reject it.

Not at all - this thread has died down a little of late so it's nice to see some detailed updates. Seems like you're treading water a bit, although turn a few of those draws into wins and suddenly you're right in the playoff hunt.

Ben Mackey is listed as an icon for Leamington and I had him on loan in my first season too, although he didn't really contribute a lot. Has some nice attributes for that level though.

St_albans.png

St Albans City FC

2015-2016 Season

November

Results

We started off with a trip to another of the league favourites in Aldershot. Despite them being the better side for most of the game we managed to get the only goal of the game on 18 minutes. The ball scrambled around the box before the 16 year old fired in from about 18 yards. Rochdale were next and we had no chance of winning this according to the bookies. Rochdale were the better side and managed to come away with a 1-0 win. The TV money was more important as it helped move to over £100k in the black. A win and draw followed as we easily beat Staines. Unfortunately we couldn't beat Tonbridge though. Rivals Hemel Hempstead were next and we took an early lead as Spaniard Alfred Bosch put us in front. At half-time we were one up and I decided to tell the players they could play better. Unfortunately this backfired as Hemel Hempstead ran riot in the second half as they scored four goals. Our final game of the month was a 2-1 loss against Havant & Waterlooville in the FA Trophy.

Results%20Nov%202015_zpsasqqqndd.png

The Hemel Hempstead result really infuriated me to the point where I criticised all players who played and fined a couple of them. This backfired on me and resulted in squad morale dropping and a number of players kicking up a fuss. Ishmel Demontnagac being the key culprit. The players didn't like me picking on him and ultimately that was the game I lost the dressing room.

League Table

We climbed one place in the league to 10th but found ourselves fall one point off the play-offs.

Vanarama%20Conference%20South%20-%20Nov%202015_zpslwpnheds.png

Throughout the month of November I had my first two teams approach me with interviews without me applying for the jobs. They were Finn Harps and Leamington. I decided to attend both interviews just to see if I could force the St Albans board into giving me some improvements. Unfortunately it didn't prompt a response. Finn Harps didn't offer me the job after the interview but Leamington did. They were only willing to offer £300 per week and not the £500 I wanted so talks broke down.

Macclesfield sacked their manager so I decided to chuck my name into the hat for that job. Unfortunately nothing came of that. The board were once again disappointed and offered me another ultimatum.

Board%20Ultimatum_zpspxeuszmv.png

St_albans.png

St Albans City FC

2015-2016 Season

Daly Leaves St Albans

Resigning_zps2dpvjtvv.png

I felt that it was easiest to resign from my role especially considering I had lost the dressing room and had already been given one ultimatum. My time in charge of St Albans was enjoyable but I guess my ambition got the better of me. My record was that bad and we did well through phases but also bad through others. Mark Bonnar, my under 18s assistant manager took over as caretaker.

27/10/2014 - 29/11/2015

St%20Albans%20History_zps0mqqb8yi.png

JsdtFdO.jpg

Our first ever season in League One is turning into a rousing success - we've got the best defensive record, the second best attack and we simply don't lose. A handy nine point gap to third going into the last 15 games of the season gives us an excellent shot at successive promotions. We also scored a trip to Newcastle for the FA Cup third round, which really helped the ailing finances.

The current squad is built around three superb attackers:

JI8G5Us.jpg

Our talismanic false nine, he has now led the line by himself for three and a half seasons, and has returned 113 goals in that period. Rated as either a leading or good Championship striker, depending on which member of staff you ask.

uuE7Fho.jpg

I have no idea why he is valued so low, as he is just electric. Even a torn hamstring early this season has only proved to be a minor set back, as he continues to score heavily as an inside forward. Rated as a potential Premiership winger.

UBIHyy7.jpg

One of the best signings I have ever made. I only signed him at the last minute due to injuries (his career to date had been pretty average despite his attributes), stuck him in as a playmaker and he has exploded. 21 assists to date tells its own story, as he is rated as potentially being a good Premiership midfielder, and is valued higher than anyone I've ever had at this level.

Archived