FM15 - The Vanarama Conference, North & South thread

CityAndColour

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Metallic logo pack is what I use, it's terrific.

Looking at your squad makes me very jealous - my squad gets worse every year, despite being established in the Conference with Leamington, simply because players from even divisions below won't join. I am basically holding out for a star youth intake.

Good luck with Gateshead profii! They are always a popular choice.

CityAndColour - Leamington FC - Conference - 2016/17

Leamingtonfcbadge.png

Ten games into our second season in the Conference and things are going fairly well. Our 4-4-2 record sees us sitting 8th, three points out of the playoffs, and our goal difference of +12 is only bettered by Lincoln, who are second in the table. Our attacking prowess has yielded 24 goals, the best in the division, and we have already recorded home victories of 5-0, 5-1, 4-1 and 3-0. Indeed, our home fans enjoy going to the football, having seen 18 goals for and only three against in our five matches at the New Windmill Ground.

Still, the off-season was a grind, as player upon player wouldn't even give our little club a second look, even those released by Conference North clubs. In the end it was again a case of relying on the key players we already had, and just trying to fill in squad gaps:

Michael Bakare - pacy front man who has brief experience in the Football League with Macclesfield, and has been impressive with six goals and four assists

Yado Mambo - hulking centre half formerly of Charlton's academy, however lacks pace

Troy Ferguson - a versatile defensive midfielder who has only played in non league

Aaron Dalhouse - right back who can fill in centrally, his only senior football to date has been in the Conference South

Mike Green - left wing back, another with only non league experience

Tony Thompson - young 'keeper from Rotherham's youth team

I promoted Ty Smith to the vacant captaincy post, and he has been absolutely sensational. For those starting out in the Conference N/S I cannot recommend him highly enough; you can get him on loan from Met Police in the first season and then on a free, and he is just a superbly consistent and influential performer, whether in central midfield, right midfield or right back.

Just finished my first season with Concord Rangers. Ended up 9th place - if having won the last game, we would have ended 5th and therefore secured a play-off spot..

My top performers were Tony Stokes, Teddy Ngoy and loanies Tuki Tayali and Danny Mills. Attribute-wise Jeremy Walker is probably one of the best in the league, but he was a bit dissapointing for me, plus he is unhappy and wants to leave.

Now another long season awaits.. And a long search for players. Hit me up with suggestions for players if you have any!

After warming up with my supported team (Spurs) I usually take the helm of Tonbridge Angels and start a long career. Alas, with their unfortunate drop into the lower leagues, I was torn between the next two local teams to where I live, Bromley & Eastbourne.

I've opted for Eastbourne & 20 games in i'm top of the league! Fingers crossed the good form can continue.

CityAndColour - I'm not sure I saw it mentioned, but do you happen to know what Stockport's wage/transfer budget is in season 1?

Also, on the reputation thing, would players from Skrill Premier clubs still be interested in going there, or are they deemed a backward step these days? I'm interested in taking them on, as they have the potential to progress - but the current squad is awful compared to what I would want.

I'm therefore unsure if I should choose a club that has a better squad but less potential (e.g. Halifax, Barrow, Harrogate), or try Stockport - and drag in all the players from other teams like those mentioned.

Alternatively I could go with Bristol Rovers or Torquay (or even Aldershot), but based on last year's experience with Hereford, it wouldn't be a non-league team for long.

CityAndColour - I'm not sure I saw it mentioned, but do you happen to know what Stockport's wage/transfer budget is in season 1?

Also, on the reputation thing, would players from Skrill Premier clubs still be interested in going there, or are they deemed a backward step these days? I'm interested in taking them on, as they have the potential to progress - but the current squad is awful compared to what I would want.

Just fired up a game with them, with a manager set to "semi professional" past experience and a National C licence.

The default board expectation is a top half finish, with a wage budget of £4.55k per week. This increases to £4.6k for promotion and £4.69k for winning the title. A transfer budget is not offered and the starting wage bill is £4.3k, so there is not much room.

The best players interested in joining (going by assistant filter) are probably Nick Rushton at Wrexham, Jamie Tank at Leamington and Louis Almond at Hyde. The best free agent interested is probably former player James Tunnicliffe.

Just finished my first season with Concord Rangers. Ended up 9th place - if having won the last game, we would have ended 5th and therefore secured a play-off spot..

My top performers were Tony Stokes, Teddy Ngoy and loanies Tuki Tayali and Danny Mills. Attribute-wise Jeremy Walker is probably one of the best in the league, but he was a bit dissapointing for me, plus he is unhappy and wants to leave.

Now another long season awaits.. And a long search for players. Hit me up with suggestions for players if you have any!

Nice season, try getting Ty Smith on a free from Met Police.

What position/role did you play Stokes in?

@CityAndColour

For some reason Ty Smith isn't in my game.

I play Stokes mainly as an advanced playmaker (attack) from the CM position. In this role he both distributes play and can get forward in scoring positions from time to time.

Just fired up a game with them, with a manager set to "semi professional" past experience and a National C licence.

The default board expectation is a top half finish, with a wage budget of £4.55k per week. This increases to £4.6k for promotion and £4.69k for winning the title. A transfer budget is not offered and the starting wage bill is £4.3k, so there is not much room.

The best players interested in joining (going by assistant filter) are probably Nick Rushton at Wrexham, Jamie Tank at Leamington and Louis Almond at Hyde. The best free agent interested is probably former player James Tunnicliffe.

Thanks for the answer - I may need to re-think on that idea :lol:

nzxY2cz.jpg

Continuing my tradition of back to back promotions :)

Season	  Division		Position    Other Achievements
---------------------------------------------------------------
2014/15	  Conference North	1st	    Promoted
2015/16     Conference Premier 5th    Promoted
2016/17     League 2                 2nd   Promoted
2017/18     League 1                  1st   Promoted
2018/19    Championship             1st   Promoted

Best players were Nathan Dyer, Piccinocchi and Adam Campbell. They were all with us since L1, Piccinocchi even back in L2.

Thinking about starting a game with Nuneaton, as that is where I currently live! However, I have never took on a lower league club before and fear I may struggle, would be an awesome challenge to get them promoted up the leagues though.

Leamingtonfcbadge.png

Fittingly, we've just hit Boxing Day and it's been a resounding success, given the quality of the squad. We currently sit 8th after 25 games, just four points out of the playoffs and a whopping 19 clear of the drop zone. We've certainly had to grind out results after a fluid start, with our goals per game back down to around 1.9 (which is still very good, but it was up around 2.5 earlier in the season).

Michael Bakare has been impressive up front, with 12 goals and seven assists, and captain Ty Smith has been inspirational in central midfield, returning nine goals, six assists and a 7.25 average rating. Jamie Tank has again been the pick of our defenders and is Mr Consistent.

I'd like to bring in some more players but it's the same old story - no one is interested in joining. Central midfielder Danny Waldren joins from Kingstonian in January but he's not an improvement on the first XI. Best chance may just be released youth after the season.

27 games is I'm sitting in second during my second season in the Conference. The board asked me to get promotion so after watching Man U play a 3-4-1-2 against Newcastle I decided to go that route. Signed Dion Conroy, Alex Davey and Shay Facey for the CD spots. The rest is the same team as last season.

Leamingtonfcbadge.png

League: 9th

FA Cup: 1st round (lost to Coventry)

FA Trophy: 1st round (lost to Nuneaton)

Top scorer: Michael Bakare (26)

Most assists: Michael Bakare, Ty Smith (13)

Highest average rating: Michael Bakare (7.26)

Fans' player of the season: Michael Bakare

---

A really good improvement on last season, as we clinched a top ten finish and accumulated 71 points, up on last season's total of 64. We stayed in the top ten for most of the season and finished with a very healthy goal difference of +21, showing we can compete at this level despite our small stature (we have been predicted to finish 24th in all three Conference seasons now, including the upcoming one).

Initially signed just to add depth, Michael Bakare was a revelation, finishing third in the golden boot standings and winning the fans' player of the season award. He was ably supported by our inspirational captain Ty Smith, while the ever-reliable Jamie Tank again held us together defensively.

In fact Tank ran his contract down, and it took the most lucrative deal in club history to keep him at the club - £850 per week, a number of clauses and £30k in signing on and agent fees. Unfortunately this is still more palatable than the alternative, which is losing him for free and not being able to go close to finding a suitable replacement.

Slowly but surely we're starting to attract a better standard of player, and Ross Lafayette will provide the quality up front that we have been lacking. We've also managed to sign three fairly promising looking newgens, as below:

Ho1lLBv.jpg

The first funds I've spent on a player, costing £7.5k from Sutton Utd. Good mental attributes and personality type (resolute) and a natural finisher, so I am looking forward to how he develops. Also has the PPM "shoots with power" which I love in a striker.

H2V6XW0.jpg

Free from Doncaster. He is lacking in a few areas but also has some great qualities, and at 6'6 should be a force at set pieces.

sZSHMIK.jpg

Free from Luton. I plan on starting him in the anchor man role, and hopefully his "fairly professional" personality type accelerates his development.

---

2014/15 - Leamington - Conference North - 1st (promoted as champions)

2015/16 - Leamington - Conference - 13th

2016/17 - Leamington - Conference - 9th

Thanks lads for sorting us out with the links for the logos finally sorted it

So we go into league two with the board hoping for a brave fight against relegation and by god it has been a battle so far

eteh5x.png

we just cant seem to hold onto a lead and close out the game.. one example we wore 2-0 up against burton and cruising then it went 2-2 then 3-2 up and my players just turned into zombies and they scored 92 and 94 min to win 4-3 .. currently messing about with the tactic to find the right balance and hopefully pull away from the bottom two

So after a couple of hours playing we have turned things around and seem to be on the up..

14xxq9.png

So we climbed 3 spots and pulled 5 points clear of relegation.. if we keep things up we are only 11 points of the play-offs which would be a unbelievable achievement if we even managed to get ourselfs into contention of the play-off spots

o8xpnk.png

So i swapped my tactic for a new 4-4-2 and it seems to be doing the job quite well winning 4 and drawing 1 out of 5 games

Anyway, finally managed to attract a player of real quality to join the Leamington revolution...

nHGn3U3.jpg

Released by Arsenal's academy, and took some convincing, but he has the potential to be a leading League One winger. Also has the PPM "knocks ball past opponent" which should be handy with his pace and acceleration.

Unfortunately he does have the doomsday double "doesn't enjoy big matches/may be prone to injuries" but at this level he is still too talented not to sign.

I'm about to start in the bottom leagues now but I haven't picked a team just yet. It annoys me that rivalries aren't dynamic so hopefully if/when I climb up the leagues i'll have no rivals. I know the in-game editor is an option but I wish they would include it.

I'm just starting the 2nd season with Gateshead, I got promoted in the first season so I'm rebuilding quite a lot to hopefully stay up.

One thing that amused me was a lot of staff contracts ran out so I let them go - I have offered a contract to Emile Heskey as my assistant Manager :cool:

edit: he accepted, yes!

Unfortunately I don't see us getting out of the Conference any time soon, unless we can spawn an outstanding youth player or get a cup run that will allow us to turn full time. We are competitive but simply cannot attract the quality of player to compete with the full time clubs.

Gateshead Update

I opted for Gateshead as I've relocated to the proper north and they are local ish (I don't usually play lower leagues so I thought I'd break myself in gently!)

In my first season I didn't bother trying to get rid of anyone, I assumed due to the lack of general quality and funds it would be difficult to sell players, probably not worthwhile to cancel contracts and incur costs so I figured I'd go with what we've got, add a bit of my own spin on things and dismiss people as contracts expire

I always play with a 4-2-3-1 formation, I like a poacher, a tough tackling midfielder and a deep lying play maker to be the spine of my team.

The squad looked good but seemed to be overloaded with central players. I quickly brought in full backs and wingers and also, I spent almost all my transfer budget on a young Geordie called Jonathyn Quinn.

Transfers In:

David October (DL)

David Barron (DR)

Ishmel Demontagnac (AML)

Cameron Park (AMR)

Daniel Devine (DC)

Johanthyn Quinn (ST)

All freebies apart from Quinn who cost £80k

I also then brought in Archie Love & Michael Richardson in January - both end of contract freebies

Archie Love was a natural MC but I want him to provide cover as I only had 1 AMC - he has good passing and vision and seemed to retrain very quickly

We won the league with 90 points - W26 D12 L8 - We scored distinctly more goals than anyone else with 104 (2nd best was 87) no doubt thanks to Quinns 24 goals in 30 or so games. There were also great season from Andrai Jones (DC) and Demontagnac on the wing - I expected Cameron Park to be the main man but Demontagnac seemed to go quietly about his business and get the job done.

Freshly promoted into league 2 it was time to start chopping and changing - I let a total of 32 players go over the summer and brought in 9 (a lot of reserves/youth to be fair)

2 big names for the club had to go, Ben Clark, a club icon no less but at 32 we have a lot of quality coming through at the back and Carl Finnagan, despite 14 goals in 15 appearances I dont think he is going to cut it at the next level.

Season 2 transfers in:

Lee Robinson (GK)

John Herron (MR)

Julio Pleguezuelo (DC Newcastle Loan)

Oliver Kemen (DMC Newcastle Loan)

Graham Burke (AML)

Romain Thibault (ST)

Jassam Sukar (DC)

Craig MacGillvray (GK)

Jack Dunn (ST)

all freebies apart from the loanees that parent club Newcastle sent me.

I have worked with Burke before so I was pleased to be able to sign him (previous FMs) and I'm sure I've used Thibault before. I noticed Jack Dunn looked ok and didn't want massive wages but I wasn't sure he had attributes in all the right places- however the scout said get him whatever the cost so I'm using him as an inside forward and he is really doing the buisiness so far (9 goals in 11 games)

We are 3rd in the table and it's mid-October. We seem to be trying to outscore our opponents with disregard for defence but I'm sure I'll tidy that up sooner or later... hopefully we can retain this form and make a surprise challenge for a L1 spot!

Sutton Utd - Season 2, 15/16 - The Conference

I ditched my save with Concord Rangers after not securing promotion in my 2nd season..

Instead I started with Sutton Utd. Won the league and now I'm in the Conference sitting in 4th place after 7 games.

The club turned full-time professional after the promotion which has allowed me to secure better players than I expected. After an insane amount of searching and scouting I have brought in 14 new players, as I only kept 8 from the season before.

Here are my three favorites:

Oliver Abildgaard: Found him in Denmark's U19. He was on an amateur contract at AaB in the Danish Superliga.

WqiTgEs.png

Dejan Iliev: Released by Arsenal. "Good player for most League 2 sides".

EWUCvDm.png

Solomon Sambou: Released by Fulham. Played 11 games for them in the Championship. "Good player for most League 2 sides".

6ZAceyC.png

end of season league table

nx3uac.png

so im pleased we managed to pick ourselfs up and pull away from the bottom two and only for a slump on the run in we could have made the play-offs but in all fairness to finish were we did after 20 odd games being only one placce of the relegation..

finances are suffering though from 1 million in the bank in the conference north/premier we are now 300k in the black and doesnt look like it to improve ant time soon..

so on to next year.. hopefully we be safe and not in a relegation scrap again and a nice mid table will do for me

Good Afternoon,

I've recently got back into FM over the festive period and thought I would share my progress (or lack of) with you.

After some success in past versions, I have started again with my hometown club Colwyn Bay in the Conference North. With past experience as Sunday League Footballer and a wage budget of 3.1k p/w you can imagine the challenge I'm faced with. (All but 2 players left the club at the end of last season meaning a complete overhaul of players, it's no wonder Frank Sinclair recently resigned!)

First time round I finished dead last in the league and so I was forced to start my career again as I can't play in a lower league than the Conference North, after hopefully learning a few lessons. I'm up to Novemeber this season and surprise surprise, bottom again. The performances do seem better this season and I feel we have some chance of surviving, I'm hoping that the team will perform better once it gels properly.

My problem is that the strongest part of my squad is my attack (Marc Williams and Obi Anoruo score plenty of goals) but if I play 2 strikers my defence is too vulnerable. What are the best formations to keep it tight-ish at the back but allowing me to play 2 up front?

I have been an avid player of the game for as long as I can remember. This year, rather than do the norm and start a career game, as manager of Tottenham, I wanted to start from the bottom of the leagues and work my way up the divisions, ideally with the one club, or via job opportunities that I earn.

The choice, as to who that club would be, was actually a very simple one – Bishops Stortford.

The rationale behind it was, that this is the town I went to secondary school in and where I spent the majority of my time effectively “growing up”, I had often been to see the club play in real life around the ages of 14/15 (I am now 34), so I did feel a natural warmth to the club/area.

I wanted the game to be as realistic as possible from the get-go, so with that, I set my experience at the lowest, as a “Sunday League Footballer” and used my pitiful allowance of points to distribute.

My first season, even as a seasoned player of Football Manager, was easily my most difficult that I have ever experienced, but also thoroughly the most enjoyable.

I started with no money of note to mention and I decided from the off, that in order to effectively control the finances and more importantly, understand the strengths of my players, as I didn’t have the money to make mass changes and transfers...I wanted to concentrate on the senior squad and not worry overly at all about my U21 or U18 squads in the first season.

I made cuts to staff and changed the backroom team, slightly improving them, but I was limited on the number of half good staff I could attract

Transfers who added any value and worth mentioning thinking back, were a loan Centre Back by the name of Robbie Cundy, who was to provide some much needed pace in the back line and play a covering role, as a Limited Centre Back

Standout players over the course of the season were:

• Rio Bryan Edwards – Leader & Centre Back, Player of the Season, highest average rating and the man, I chose mid season to make captain. At the Age of 21, he will become a Club Legend

• Mikel Suarez – Target Man Striker, who weighed in with around 10 important goals during the season

The season was notable, for the sheer consistency of inconsistency and to be honest we were woeful at times, going stretches of 6-8 games without a win on several occasions. Prior to those meetings, I won’t lie, but I didn’t have a clue how to turn the tide and quite frankly thought it an inevitability that the chairman would wield his axe and I would be sacked

I finished the first season in 18th, surviving JUST!!!. This included on two separate occasions me being called in front of the board, to then leave that meeting requiring a certain number of points from games, to keep my job – on both occasions I got the required points (actually quite easily to my surprise!)

I found myself, questioning my own ability, was I actually any good at this game???... perhaps playing as Spurs all these years, had protected me and all that I had done in the game, didn’t really mean much considering the riches I had at my disposal and all the infrastructure and facilities a premier league club provides?

I couldn’t actually even see where my next point was coming from at some stages, let alone a win, but when I needed to after ultimatums from the board, I seemed to always deliver critically

I was at this point, referring to these forums a hell of a lot, reading blogs/articles on tactics, seeing how I could turn it around

In terms of an achievement, I got much more from avoiding the sack/relegation after the season completed, than I have in as long as I can remember really when playing Football Manager, even when playing as Spurs in the Premier League. I was determined to learn from my mistakes of trying to over complicate Tactics/Shouts and Instructions and build on the squad and improve next season, without being in the position again of needing a certain number of points from games, just to keep my job!

As I approached Season 2, I was given the news of the prospective new youth intake and I hurriedly arranged an internal friendly to review the prospects, alongside noting the recommendations of my Head of Youth Development. I ended up after this, keeping around 10 of them as they either improved my first team squad, or would add some depth for U21/U18 sides, at a very low cost.

So my plan for the coming season 2 would be to learn from what I thought went wrong:

• Minimise and simplify tactics

• Keep a more settled starting 11

This post is really I suppose, for me as much as anything to maybe look back upon at some stage, but maybe some other people, might find it of interest and use also

What is interesting, is the level of immersion into this Career/Lower League Management that I have found, this is demonstrated by the fact I have written this long post, but also by me now looking to attend actual Conference South Games, supporting Bishops Stortford again!

connor: Very good post and a interesting read.. lower league management can be a hard job and not for the faint hearted players.. hopefullly you kick on and next year keep improving and climbing up the league..

ok so im a few games through my second season in league two and so far so good sitting 10th in the league 1 point of play-offs and 7 off top spot..

So far my stand out player has been this man and i would advise ppl to have a look and try to get him

2lsux55.png

my main weakness was GK and after a bringing this player on trail i had to sign him for his experience and ratings

1498lqe.png

signed this player last league and he was key to my team pulling away from the relegation zone and he has continued his form this year

2yua6g5.png

owi2890 - it's tough to try and find a balance between attack and defence at that level. If your two best players are attackers, I'probably just try to play a more expansive style and hope you can outscore the opposition. Maybe a 4-1-3-2 so you still have a back four and a DM, and then your full backs can provide the width.

Connor - nice post, I've found it's so much easier to get attached to a lower league club than it is an established club. Stortford are a good choice and have a strong squad for that level; Scott Shulton is a great dead ball specialist and partners Anthony Church in central midfield, you have very good attacking full backs in Johnny Herd and Ash Miller, a top winger in Harry Baker, and the classic big man/speedy striker combination with Suarez and Donovan Simmonds. Are there clauses from the sale of Kyle Vassell you can cash in?

Looking forward to following your progress.

10C1B79E6AB668ACDE2CA026E5CFAF4658402479

Had my best second part of the season as of yet, resulting in winning the League 2!

Now I'm curious how i'll fare in the L1. Finances are declining and my players are not good enough for the move up. I guess I'm gonna have a season at the bottom of the league.

Congratulations on yet another promotion yipster! Did you end up hanging onto that AMC who came through your youth system?

He's still on my payroll but he's injured for 7 more months. I won't be renewing his contract though, he's been helpful over the seasons but he won't be good enough when I take the club to the next level.

This is him now.

F183E6ADF60F91E5B21009CF7AB66C31B7B7E6C2

And this is another regen I picked up. I was playing his team in the FA cup which was in a lower division than the Vanarama Conference. I got him for a relatively small amount.

C0DE3FC4351449E4C0C63A015A1A50422B9D6889

10 games in the season. Sitting in the lead with 8 wins and 2 losses. I won't be able to keep this form up..

Edit: Just received a job interview from Inter Milan O.o

2zxs10g.png

WE DID IT!!!

A amazing season seen us go from relegation battlers to league champions.. this year things seem to click and we went from strength to strength and climbed to the top with 5 games to go and never looked back..

next year budget is brutal with only 26k on transfers and 59k on wages.. a few good free transfers and we should be in for a ok season

Archived