Rainmaker v2 and Silk & Steel v2.......... A Combined Arms approach to FM

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
@ Uwe: Do you care about which foot is stronger for your BBMs? Would you recommend a right BBM being right-footed and a left BBM being left-footed? All my BBMs are right footed at the moment, should I focus on bringing in a lefty?

No, I wouldn't worry too much about that. If you have a lefty use him on the left but don't go out of your way to get one.

No, I wouldn't worry too much about that. If you have a lefty use him on the left but don't go out of your way to get one.

Have you noticed any difference in performance with the BBM's, if they are both right footed?

I haven't paid much attention to it, but i have a feeling that actually the one playing on the left side scores more. Last season my left side BBM actually scored a hattrick in one match, haven't seen that before. Then again, never scored over 100 goals in one season before :D

I've just recognized that my right BBM usually has the better avg rating. Player A (right BBM) constantly averaged around 7.10 over 10 games while Player B (left BBM) averaged around 6.85 in that span. I decided to switch them and all of a sudden it was Player B (now moved to right BBM) who performed better. Not a big difference in goals scored but the avg rating was clearly affected. Both players are right footed and similar in their abilities, neither was used for any set pieces (which could have an effect on the ratings).

I've just recognized that my right BBM usually has the better avg rating. Player A (right BBM) constantly averaged around 7.10 over 10 games while Player B (left BBM) averaged around 6.85 in that span. I decided to switch them and all of a sudden it was Player B (now moved to right BBM) who performed better. Not a big difference in goals scored but the avg rating was clearly affected. Both players are right footed and similar in their abilities, neither was used for any set pieces (which could have an effect on the ratings).

Could it be because the one on the right plays behind CF and the one on the left behind F9. So, maybe the one on the right gets more involved with goals in terms of creating them?

If anyone's looking for a lower league player for the CM A role, Forster-Caskey was a beast in l1,championship and first 2 seasons in prem. Top in assists and scored a lot too. I'm still sad that he never got an international call up, hes retired now :(

It's the best set of tactics I have used in this version. Started a new game with Basel, took the title with 20 points ahead (kind of expected that), but also got to the semi's in the Champions League. Defeated Dortmund and Bayern on the way :thup:

can not get this tactic to work with southampton for love nor money has any one else used it with southampton if so any tips?

Yes, I did. Use S&S for most games, only use Rainmaker at home against bottom-tier teams. Make sure you get the tactic fluent as soon as possible (end of August). You can retrain Lallana as a MC and use him in the central MCa role. Lambert & Ramirez can be your F9 with Osvaldo playing up front as the CF. In midfield I retrained Wanyama. Schneiderlin & Ward Prowse are perfect fits for the BBM roles. You also have 2 young English full backs, maybe bring in a new centre back, goalie or a quality striker if you have the money. Maybe you can cash in on Ramirez as he's not really a system fit.

Update on my Tonbridge save.

Straight out of Skrill South & Skrill Prem. Season 1 in League 2 was relegation battle which I survived, Season 2 in League 2 missed playoffs by 1 point.

I am expecting to go up automatically this year, it took me 3 seasons to get out of League 2 with Stockport in my earlier save.

Tonbridge presents its own problems, the reputation is very low initially but my issue now is one of cash.

Average attendance is below 2000, worst in division. My wage budget is £13,000 per week, lowest in division. I can attract some good players but they want £2,400 a week which clearly isn't going to work.

I have a 'core' of 4 experienced players with a squad of talented youngsters with the potential to become good players.

My squad is only 17 players so I am vulnerable to injuries.

Need a big FA cup away fixture to bring in some cash. Facilities are awful. My only hope is to scrape into League 1 and then hopefully the Championship were TV money starts to become more important than gate receipts and i can start to compete on a more level playing field.

Good challenge the Tonbridge job.

NxIU0NI.png

Yes, I did. Use S&S for most games, only use Rainmaker at home against bottom-tier teams. Make sure you get the tactic fluent as soon as possible (end of August). You can retrain Lallana as a MC and use him in the central MCa role. Lambert & Ramirez can be your F9 with Osvaldo playing up front as the CF. In midfield I retrained Wanyama. Schneiderlin & Ward Prowse are perfect fits for the BBM roles. You also have 2 young English full backs, maybe bring in a new centre back, goalie or a quality striker if you have the money. Maybe you can cash in on Ramirez as he's not really a system fit.

Thanks for the advice.. highest finish i can get is 7th.. i find i just cant keep clean sheet games i dominate games like against wigan 33 shots to there 3 yet lost 2-1 at home

I have gotten the second Piacenza season underway.

We have had a good start, my new signings seem to fit the team well.

9 games played, we are currently 2nd, 2 points from top spot.

This is how our pre-season, first Cup matches and Serie B matches have gone:

hiqj.jpg

So, taking a break from my main save, I have, just for a bit of fun, loaded up a tycoon save I found on this site - Leyton Orient. I joined with 5 games of the 13/14 season left to play, with The O's sitting in the relegation zone, and morale on the floor. We put up a fight, but with only 1 win from those final games, survival was never really on the cards - that said it was the run in from hell, with 3 of those 5 matches against teams that were fighting for promotion. So now I'm into pre-season preparing to bounce back immediately - like I said, it's a tycoon save, so I have an £11million transfer budget and £89k pw wage budget - If I don't steamroller this division then I perhaps shouldn't be playing this game anymore!!!!!!

Thanks for the advice.. highest finish i can get is 7th.. i find i just cant keep clean sheet games i dominate games like against wigan 33 shots to there 3 yet lost 2-1 at home

That stuff happens to all of us from time to time. The current ME is just not balanced and those games when you dominate but can't score and the opponent scores on every chance (probably from corners) happen way too often. That's on the crappy ME, not on the tactics.

BTW, 7th is not too bad for Sunderland in 1st season. Maybe you can get some reinforcements in for Season 2 and challenge for Europe...

Finished my Barcelona season, and what a season

We have a class squad, with Neymar in his prime and Messi still unbelievable. But still no where near the squad Barca would have at the start.

ADE6A1D7DA39EAB5FE9209A22AFAC16A8AE07579

So over 100 points, easily over 100 goals, one game away from an invincible season (annoying, lost against Valencia away when i should have used S&S but was on such an amazing run that i felt i could go in with Rainmaker).

We also won the Europa League, and the Spanish Supercup. Failed to win the Spanish cup after my reserves lost to Athetico, one of only 2 defeats in all competitions all season.

Messi was the star man, topping 50 goals (first time ive had that in FM14) playing as my CF(a) - a role which he is just made for. There isnt really a more "complete forward" in world football is there?

6442791818F492EEF5052761F2798C56CCBEDE07

Neymar also pretty awesome as the F9, 29 goals but also 22 assists

4EEF11AB2E286E940698B55355E31BBF8576BFA9

The one position i struggled to bring in a top player for, and had none at the club when i came in, was the CM(a). The only i could find who was available was a player that Barca had sold only 18 months earlier for just a million. I paid £6.5million to bring Rafinha back to the club and despite not being world class, he was great for me

4F4D7E8A13B7FBD066342A6EB47191E59646B187

The other key in this tactic is definately the fullbacks. Several times in games against smaller teams, when they sat in, i would change them to CWB(a) to give another attacking outlet. Alba was fantastic and a great source of assist.

627AE5924CC81F996211BC27D7CA43B0D0687CDA

Think i will go with a second season at Barca, and try to win the CL to add to my CV, before i look to return and win the EPL to complete my trophy cabinet!

Is there a way to get this tactic working with an AMC rather than a CM(A)?

My two best (and favorite) players in my squad are natural advanced playmakers and don't have the positional competence or the teamwork/work rate to play that CM(A) role. I would really like to give this tactic a good go over the course of a season but I'm unwilling to sell my favorite players.

I tried a AM(A) and it didn't seem to work too well, he sat too high up the pitch compared to a CM(A).

You thoughts would be much appreciated.

Is there a way to get this tactic working with an AMC rather than a CM(A)?

My two best (and favorite) players in my squad are natural advanced playmakers and don't have the positional competence or the teamwork/work rate to play that CM(A) role. I would really like to give this tactic a good go over the course of a season but I'm unwilling to sell my favorite players.

I tried a AM(A) and it didn't seem to work too well, he sat too high up the pitch compared to a CM(A).

You thoughts would be much appreciated.

In short no. It messes everything up.

I would retrain one as MC/A and the other as F9.

Done it many times.

I could retrain them but they're both a little low in the teamwork/work rate area and would need to be trained from awkward to accomplished/natural which might take a while so maybe they're just not well suited to this tactic? I'm also a bit nervous about retraining due to the change in CA weighting for attributes but that's a separate issue.

Good luck, mate. I'm currently in the Championship, about to finish mid-table in my first season. I'm a Boston fan, in fact I'm the Boston researcher :D

Well, well, what a team :-) With 4 games in we were crowned Champions :D Some great players already in place in the team (the Wierdo, the 'journalistic pig' and Reed, which I used as CM(A) and scored 16 in 33(16) games and 9 assists).

In the end the weirdo (as CF) scored 24 in 26(8) and our F9 (journalistic pig) 20 in 26(18) with 10 assists.

The only position I really struggled with was the Anchor. Also 1 of the BBM's wasn't performing as well as the other, but that could have to do with foot preference.

Oh, we got into the 1st round of the FA Cup drawing Leyton Orient (league 1) away. After being down 2-0 in the 48th minute, I decided what the hell, and put them on Rainmaker. We drew 2-2 and came close to the winning goal. So replay at home where we were trumped 2-5. Also FA Trophy drawing was hard on us with away to Hereford and away to Forest Green.

Financially we're doing okay (400k in the kitty) but I did go over the wage budget to renew the contracts (4.2k on a 2.9k limit). But I guess the board doesn't mind :-)

With some good regens and some decent signings we should do well in the Skrill Premier as well :)

I have played several seasons with Mr U Rosler's tactics, but they still manage to surprise me.

I played Serie B match against Parma (they were relegated from Serie A, but still have a strong squad).

We were the away team, so i thought that we might scrape a draw with S&S and match preparation on Def.Pos.

Well, this is what happened:

foae.jpg

Maybe I should do that as well. Seems my team are unable to get shots on target. 3/4 of all shots are off target. Have set the match training on def. set pieces due to letting in several goals from set pieces, but now I seem to be having trouble actually scoring goals.

That being said, the tactic is performing better than any of the others I have tried and I am currently in 2nd position with my Juventus team (I think I should be doing better though, the other team however seems to always score some crazy goal).

I've been leaving match training on 'attacking movement' all season once tactics are fluid. Seems to help breaking down teams and been banging the goals in!

I am now doing a test with the following:

When i plan to start with Rainmaker = match training Att.movement.

When i plan to start with S&S = match training Def.Positioning.

So far looking good, i will report more when i get to the half way point on this season.

Still on 2nd place, trailing Genoa by 1 point.

My 18 years old star striker (playing F9) is getting better and better.

He has currently "leading player for Serie B" ability and potential to be "Good for Serie A".

Only annoying thing is that co-ownership offers and transfer offers keep raining on him. One tip for these situations: Don't reject them, just ask a ridiculously high fee, so they withdraw their offer. That way he doesn't get unsettled, because you don't let him talk to "better clubs".

This is how he currently looks like:

0b3e.jpg

As you can see, he is a bit slow at the moment, but i have him training quickness at the moment.

Might turn him in to CF if i get him fast enough.

Thanks for another great tactic. S&S works wonders for me. My Luton team was predicted to crash and burn in League 1, but we're actually doing quite well (mid-table position/just outside play-offs). I will try rainmaker when my team is strong enough to be favourites, but I don't think that'll happen any time soon after back-to-back promotions :)

Well this tactic worked great with the first season with Ipswich (got them promoted) but now in thje premier league I either cncede far too many at home or my strikers can't finish (keep on hitting the keeper one on one and it's really frustrating. I think i'll switch to a more solid tactic or wait till the next ME update.

So, back to my main Scunthorpe save - Game 32, our game in hand against bottom of the table Northampton. A win will take us top. We lead 1-0 at half time, in the second half we cannot add to the tally, but it's Ok, we're still heading to the top of the table. On the stroke of full time, in the 93rd minute, a corner is conceded (you know where this is going don't you....)and they score. We had 23 shots, 7 were on target, 6 were CCC's, possession was 55% -They had 7 shots, 1 on target,1 CCC. The sooner the next patch is released, the better........

One question to all using these tactics.

Have you noticed any trend in injuries?

For me it seems that Full Backs get injured far more often than other players.

I don't know if i have been just unlucky or has someone else been experiencing the same thing?

I was thinking that could the "dribble more" player instruction invite opponents to tackle the FB's and that's why they are often getting injured?

So, back to my main Scunthorpe save - Game 32, our game in hand against bottom of the table Northampton. A win will take us top. We lead 1-0 at half time, in the second half we cannot add to the tally, but it's Ok, we're still heading to the top of the table. On the stroke of full time, in the 93rd minute, a corner is conceded (you know where this is going don't you....)and they score. We had 23 shots, 7 were on target, 6 were CCC's, possession was 55% -They had 7 shots, 1 on target,1 CCC. The sooner the next patch is released, the better........

I'm not sure how a new patch will make your luck any better? It can happen to anyone. Any team can score from a corner - it's why some managers love to concentrate on attacking set pieces, as they know they could be the difference between earning a point and not.

I don't know if i have been just unlucky or has someone else been experiencing the same thing?

I was thinking that could the "dribble more" player instruction invite opponents to tackle the FB's and that's why they are often getting injured?

Seems just unlucky. My full backs are the players with the most games in my Basel save.

Really getting along well with this tactic now, thank you Mr U Rolser for sharing it!

I'm not scoring as many goals as I did previously because more of my shots are coming from longer range (and my team is a bit weak on the long shots stat) but I'm barely conceding any! I'm currently on a 4 game run without giving any opposition a single clear cut scoring opportunity and I alsolutely battered Juventus in the champions league. Very pleased with that but upset Pogba still has not interest in joining me!

One thing I am struggling with is picking the right players for the roles, in particular finding a false 9. My super star striker is having to work as the false 9 at the moment as I have nobody else and I think I'd score much more if I could free him up to play the complete forward.

Players with good passing and creativity and that are accomplished or better in the striker position seem quite rare but players that also have the required teamwork and work rate seem to be one in a million. The only ones I've found are Kevin Volland, Domenico Berardi and Lorenzo Insigne but all 3 have been recently bought by big clubs who want £40m+ for them.

Can anyone suggest some top-class alternatives that might be in the £10-25m range?

I also bought Raheem Sterling and Xherdan Shaqiri at the start of this season as they were both available on the cheap. They are my highest rated youngsters so it seems a shame to sell them but neither seem to fit into this system. Would you advise just turning them over for a profit?

Thanks!!

Really getting along well with this tactic now, thank you Mr U Rolser for sharing it!

I'm not scoring as many goals as I did previously because more of my shots are coming from longer range (and my team is a bit weak on the long shots stat) but I'm barely conceding any! I'm currently on a 4 game run without giving any opposition a single clear cut scoring opportunity and I alsolutely battered Juventus in the champions league. Very pleased with that but upset Pogba still has not interest in joining me!

One thing I am struggling with is picking the right players for the roles, in particular finding a false 9. My super star striker is having to work as the false 9 at the moment as I have nobody else and I think I'd score much more if I could free him up to play the complete forward.

Players with good passing and creativity and that are accomplished or better in the striker position seem quite rare but players that also have the required teamwork and work rate seem to be one in a million. The only ones I've found are Kevin Volland, Domenico Berardi and Lorenzo Insigne but all 3 have been recently bought by big clubs who want £40m+ for them.

Can anyone suggest some top-class alternatives that might be in the £10-25m range?

I also bought Raheem Sterling and Xherdan Shaqiri at the start of this season as they were both available on the cheap. They are my highest rated youngsters so it seems a shame to sell them but neither seem to fit into this system. Would you advise just turning them over for a profit?

Thanks!!

Olivier Giroud has just had a cracking season for me as F9

Olivier Giroud has just had a cracking season for me as F9

Yeah, I would use Giroud as the False 9, big strong guys can do well here and offer an 'alternative build' versus a technical player.

I don't know what Walcott's finishing is like but if it's above 12 he would do as a complete forward in a pinch.

The F9 operates in a similar manner to an AMC, don't be afraid to use or sign a quality AMC and retrain him.

The penalties for using players out of position seems to be minimal. The difference between natural and accomplished negligible.

Yeah, I would use Giroud as the False 9, big strong guys can do well here and offer an 'alternative build' versus a technical player.

I don't know what Walcott's finishing is like but if it's above 12 he would do as a complete forward in a pinch.

The F9 operates in a similar manner to an AMC, don't be afraid to use or sign a quality AMC and retrain him.

The penalties for using players out of position seems to be minimal. The difference between natural and accomplished negligible.

Yeah I was using Giroud and Cazorla in F9 with Mitrovic, Podolski and at a push Walcott. Then you have Wilshere, Ozil and Ramsey in the middle.

Arsenal have a good squad for these tactics

Goalkeeper

Last line of defence

Job Description; Strong social skills are not required for this position, loners welcome. You will however be physically tall with excellent reflexes and the ability to concentrate for long periods of time before being called into action at a moments notice. You will also be required to organise your team mates well in defensive situations.

Key Attribute: Aerial Ability

Other Attributes; Reflexes, Command of Area, One on Ones

At my current game, it seems that the goalkeeper actually doesn't have to be tall. It is surely a bonus, but a short guy can perform well too.

Recently i have been using this guy as my 1st team keeper:

ezzx.jpg

Even though he is very short (and light) for a goalkeeper, he has been playing very well.

He seems to be able to save a lot of those "almost certain goal" situations, for example those "cross from byline, striker shoots from volley" situations.

At my current game, it seems that the goalkeeper actually doesn't have to be tall. It is surely a bonus, but a short guy can perform well too.

Recently i have been using this guy as my 1st team keeper:

ezzx.jpg

Even though he is very short (and light) for a goalkeeper, he has been playing very well.

He seems to be able to save a lot of those "almost certain goal" situations, for example those "cross from byline, striker shoots from volley" situations.

Aerial Ability is what you need to consider, height is irrelevant, jumping reach relates specifically to his ability to head the ball believe it or not so thats also irrelevant for keepers.

Good mental stats, agile with good reflexes. Looks good to me.

2 seasons finished with Norwich and i have managed back to back premiership titles and a win in the champions league :)

Who said you can`t win anything with kids Mr.Hansen!

Winning the CL with a penalty in the final minute almost made me spill my coffee all over the keyboard as i jumped up and knocked the table! haha.

BarclaysPremierLeague_OverviewStages-5_zpse1fb1029.png

BarclaysPremierLeague_OverviewStages-6_zps58559a61.png

NorwichCity_MatchesSchedule-2_zpsd42fefb4.png

Aerial Ability is what you need to consider, height is irrelevant, jumping reach relates specifically to his ability to head the ball believe it or not so thats also irrelevant for keepers.

Good mental stats, agile with good reflexes. Looks good to me.

This guy should do well for me for a long time. He is still young, but already has current ability "decent for Serie A" and his potential is "Good for Serie A".

Yes, I also reported this a few posts/threads back. ;) This was more usual in the lower divisions on my rise to Italian Serie A with Rimini, as bad markers tend to be very aggressive when marking dribblers.

In Serie A the situation has improved, but I still get the eventual injuries in the FBs. I would say that for lower levels I had to keep 4 FBs from each side in the main squad, to cover for the constant injuries. In Serie A, I have "only" 3. ;)

Anyway....offensive dribbling FBs are one of the best offensive outlets of S&S. It's a tough decision to try and change that.

2 seasons finished with Norwich and i have managed back to back premiership titles and a win in the champions league :)

Who said you can`t win anything with kids Mr.Hansen!

Winning the CL with a penalty in the final minute almost made me spill my coffee all over the keyboard as i jumped up and knocked the table! haha.

BarclaysPremierLeague_OverviewStages-5_zpse1fb1029.png

BarclaysPremierLeague_OverviewStages-6_zps58559a61.png

NorwichCity_MatchesSchedule-2_zpsd42fefb4.png

Great job :applause:

Archived