Tactics? Luck? Bugged? All Three? Game feels utterly random.

dj25.png

My latest game. Charlton only had 3 proper attacks show up on my highlights (extended) all of which resulted in goals. One long range freekick and 2 corner goals. In isolation it looks like a proper smash and grab but there's been too many games like this recently for it to be a one off.

y71k.png

Probably the most ridiculous of the lot this. This was my first bad result so at the time I was happy to write it off as just one of those things but now I'm not so sure. We created enough to comfortably win the game, as you can see Coventry didn't create a single CCC (I know that CCC's are buggy but I can't remember watching them create one). They score from a corner.

dbb5.png

This game come straight after the Coventry game. We absolutely dominated, creating chance of chance before Fleetwood score a goal out of nothing in the last ten minutes.

And to add a bit of balance here's my win inbetween the Fleetwood and Charlton game

qiun.png

Statistically my worst performance of the lot brings me the only win in this four game period. Bizarre.

So what am I doing wrong? Am I doing anything wrong? I don't really see what's wrong with my tactics considering how many points I've picked up over the last 2 and a bit seasons and how many chances we've created in 3 of the 4 games. Is it a mix of a couple of bugs? I'm not sure, the corner bug has clearly cost me, as has the really odd finishing (heading over the bar from near the goal-line) but even ignoring that we still created enough to win those 3 games fairly comfortably.

So I'm just going through a really unlucky spell? This is the issue I've got with this FM, I don't have a clue, it feels so incredibly random.

Well the Tactics Forum is the best place to look for answers and I'll move the thread there if you want me to.

You surely know that one match in isolation isn't going to tell anybody much though.

I do, that's why I posted 4 matches?

I don't really mind, I wanted the thread in a place where it would generate the most debate as I'm fairly sure it's not tactical.

Goals change games whenever they are scored, or whatever that press conference quote goes. There's a good chance there will be fewer results like this when corner goals are reduced.

Imagine the scenario. You are on a run of decent results and players start to become slightly complacent. Your striker is having an off day. Still you are controlling the game and you'll likely grind out a one goal win if it continues. The opposition can't get a proper shot in, but gets a few corners, which equals an inevitable goal. Now your players are nervous, frustrated, disenchanted or worse. The pressure from an angry hairdryer team talk get's to them and all of sudden it's hard for them to put one leg in front of the other without falling.

I've only glanced over your screenshots so far but it would be helpful if you could post a screenshot of your formation/roles/duties so we can see your style of play.

Its worth saying though even good tactics don't guarantee a win, sometimes you just go through bad spells of luck. If the team is doing well in general but still losing you need to keep morale up and work through the unlucky spell.

EDIT

Also last year the highlights mode changed and extended is now what key used to be like - goals/chances mainly. You get a much better idea of play on comprehensive highlights which is similar to what extended used to be.

What are the quality of your players like? It's hard to tell what the issues are without knowing your team and tactics. On the face of it you definitely appear to have been unlucky in the Oldham game but, at the same time, if your players are poor in comparison to the rest of the league you would expect to lose a few games.Take Swansea IRL. They play nice football and control a lot of games but are near the foot of the table.It's too easy to just look at statistics alone and not consider the actual quality of your squad.Are your defenders good enough? Are your strikers good enough to tuck away the chances you create? What types of chances are they? Etc..

Nope, not a downloaded tactic.

I've just come up from League 2, so we're considered huge underdogs, but as things stand I'm 8th after 11 games. In midfield we have on average the 3rd highest passing and 4th highest technique attributes in the league which explains why we dominate so many games. Our defence is one of the weakest and slowest, but we are high on things like marking, positioning and height so I'm not sure we should be conceding that many from set pieces (I know there's a bug too).

My strikers misses far too many chances too considering he has a finishing attribute of 15, composure of 11 and technique of 13, which comfortably makes him the best striker in the league. Looking at the stats we have the highest striker finishing attribute in the league.

Nope, not a downloaded tactic.

I've just come up from League 2, so we're considered huge underdogs, but as things stand I'm 8th after 11 games. In midfield we have on average the 3rd highest passing and 4th highest technique attributes in the league which explains why we dominate so many games. Our defence is one of the weakest and slowest, but we are high on things like marking, positioning and height so I'm not sure we should be conceding that many from set pieces (I know there's a bug too).

My strikers misses far too many chances too considering he has a finishing attribute of 15, composure of 11 and technique of 13, which comfortably makes him the best striker in the league. Looking at the stats we have the highest striker finishing attribute in the league.

Sounds to me if your defence is weak and slow, and you're dominating games further forward that you're being hit by quick counter attacks by the opposition. I've learned to my cost in the lower leagues that strength is the key attribute you need in defence, with pace not far behind.

It is impossible for anyone to look at 4 screenshots and then tell you what you're doing wrong. I've found that it can take a few seasons to figure a tactic out, as there are 1000's of factors that affect performance, being the squad harmony, the tactical fluidity, the way that player's attributes compliment each other, as well as the reputation and tactics of the opponents.

In fact, even if you watch the key highlights of your game and look at the end game stats (which is what you are doing), you wont really know what is happening. I would suggest watching a game with detailed highlights (not the full match, but one step down from that) and try to analyze why you aren't scoring, and why other teams are finding it easy to snatch a goal from you.

Chances are that you are dominating matches, but the opposition defense is clogging up the box, and so your strikers end up taking a lot of worthless long shots. They may also be crossing the ball into the box a lot, only to find that the opposition's defense is 10x better at heading the ball than your forwards.

Your question of, "Is it Tactics, Luck, Bugs, or all three?", just suggests to me that you don't really understand the tactical side of the game, and how to counter other tactics. It is only normal that results would seem 'random' or 'magical' if they depend on things you don't understand. As Bill O'Reilly famously said, "The tides go in, the tides go out, you can't explain that!", just as you are saying, "The wins come in, the wins go out, you can't explain that!". Both can be explained quite easily if you just take the time to understand how things work.

I think I have an idea whats wrong already just by looking over your stats. I suggest you post in the tactics forum and give us some info about the shape and system you are using because I'm fairly certain I know the issues already.

This is what I was afraid of. Not everything is down to tactics. People jump to that conclusion so easily, hence why I started this thread. Why can't it be a combination? Why does everything have to be so black and white? Football is not black and white at all.

The third paragraph to me shows that you've not actually looked at my screenshots and you've jumped to the tactical conclusion. I'm creating chances, very good chances in fact, but for some reason they're not going in. I'm seeing my striker head the ball over the bar from close range (known bug), I'm seeing lots of one on one's being missed or hit straight at the keeper. I'm also seeing my wide players cut in and either hit the post or have a shot cleared off the line.

Since my last screenshot I've won 3 in a row.

vm7e.png

9l1n.png

ayrz.png

The Chesterfield game is very similar to the previous games yet the difference is my players took their chances so we had a nice comfortable 2-0 lead going into stoppage time. The Swindon game was probably our worst performance of the season yet it was as comfortable as a 1-0 win you could get.

Your chances are not all good chances like you say above though. Post in the tactics forum please with your shape etc and I'll highlight why I believe you are wrong and show you exactly why. I'm not saying its all tactical either but I can fix a lot of these issues you are having.

Nope, not a downloaded tactic.I've just come up from League 2, so we're considered huge underdogs, but as things stand I'm 8th after 11 games. In midfield we have on average the 3rd highest passing and 4th highest technique attributes in the league which explains why we dominate so many games. Our defence is one of the weakest and slowest, but we are high on things like marking, positioning and height so I'm not sure we should be conceding that many from set pieces (I know there's a bug too).My strikers misses far too many chances too considering he has a finishing attribute of 15, composure of 11 and technique of 13, which comfortably makes him the best striker in the league. Looking at the stats we have the highest striker finishing attribute in the league.

Ok. Maybe try and play with a lower defensive line. If you're quite slow at the back it could be a case like Dagenham_Dave says that you are being hit on the counter. If they have good positional attributes I would say playing a bit deeper would be better suited.

It sounds like your striker should be tucking chances away with these kind of attributes at that level. However, what type of chances is he missing? Headers? One on ones? If you're currently playing with a high defensive line it is better for dominating games, like you are doing, but I always find there is less space behind the defence for your strikers to operate as you are forcing the opposing team to defend deep.

Personally I find that playing deeper helps with my attack. You are forcing the opposition out a bit more which creates more space behind them. If your striker also possesses a bit of pace you could exploit this and play balls through to him from deeper positions giving him more room to run with the ball and get in behind the defence.

Hope this helps a little.

This is what I was afraid of. Not everything is down to tactics. People jump to that conclusion so easily, hence why I started this thread. Why can't it be a combination? Why does everything have to be so black and white? Football is not black and white at all.

Not everything it down to tactics but until you provide screenshots of your tactics no-one can confirm one way or another if yours is partly tactical. Presuming its 100% not your tactics is every bit as bad as presuming it 100% is.

Experience of other threads on the forum would suggest there is a good chance that at least part of your issue is tactical despite you thinking otherwise.

I would suggest you visit the tactics forum and perhaps read daylight's thread with an open mind.

Your chances are not all good chances like you say above though. Post in the tactics forum please with your shape etc and I'll highlight why I believe you are wrong and show you exactly why. I'm not saying its all tactical either but I can fix a lot of these issues you are having.

Fair. I'll post something on there a bit later on.

And is there any evidence to support this 90% claim?

Ah, so you don't actually want any help and are just gearing up for a continued moan? Fair enough.

Tactics forum, please. If they can't help you, the bugs forum will be the next stop and I'll happily apologise for closing this thread.

Archived