FM14: Arsenal Thread - "Remember who you are, what you are and who you represent!"

llama3

My 2 sure fire way of getting goals seems to be either Vietto or Juan Jesus who i got from Inter Milan, always seems to score from corners and i've not touched the instructions at all

edit: After losing out to PSG in the semi finals last year I've just smashed 6 past AC Milan at home :D Avoiding disaster this will be my first final in fm14, opponents? Either Tottenham or Man Utd

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Great tactic mate, can you post player/team instructions? Do you use opp. instructions at all?

Lots of team instructions...probably too many..

Retain possession

Shorter Passing

Pass into Space

Exploit the Right Flank

Look for Overlap

Roam from Positions

Hassle Opponents

Higher Tempo

Be More Expressive

Just leave Bouldy to worry about the opposition!

after starting and completing my first season, it came as a shock to me to that I finished third (on goal difference all tied on 79 points) and the scum finished 2nd! utd won the league and city came 4th, Chelsea finished 5th which was a surprise, but the 2 biggest surprises of the season was villa getting relegated (bottom of the league) and Liverpool finishing 17th!!

made it to the semi finals of the champions league and lost out to juventus, failed miserably in the league and fa cups.

players I brought in:

Rangel - £2mill

Balanta - £10mill

Chambers - £7.5mill

diame(west ham) - £3.5(release clause and a good dm for me)

werner - £7mill

Pato in jauary - £17mill

Souttar - £700k

Tadic - £11.75mill

outs:

Sagna - £10mill

Park - £5mill

Cazorla, I know I sold him but just couldn't fit him in my team with ozil, ramsay, wilshere, got £31.5 mill from utd

Bentnder to schalke for £1

frimpong - £1.9 to hull

arteta - £4mill

England won the world cup on penalties - shocking!

ozil didn't even make the german squad!

about to start my second season, only 2 youth players have come in and got in akinfeev on a free and debating about valdes on a free as he is on a trial with me at the moment

Hello all, I am really struggling with this years game so far - I'm not sure what it is I'm doing wrong but I cannot seem to keep a clean sheet at all! It's winding me up a lot. Would be wicked if someone could have a look at my screenies below and give me some tips or help, that would be much appreciated thanks :thup:

First of all my formation - I have Jenkinson & Monreal playing as Gibbs & Sagna were playing badly (both ave ratings of about 6.3!?) Podolski is also in as Santi is injured. I originally had Arteta as a DLP/Sup but he was playing poorly too.

Formation_zpsc680ad52.png

These are my instructions - I think I nicked these off someone else in this particular thread (RossoneriGunner I think)

Instructions_zps4c6ba8a0.png

And finally my results/fixtures - the Chelsea & Yeovil home games particular lowlights and the City away game was annoying as I had a 2-0 lead. Carlos Vela got me a late winner in the last game against WBA but we've fallen out as he didn't like my team talk the wally (I said I was pleased but they can do better or something along those lines)

FixturesResults_zps201ae185.png

Any help is really appreciated, thanks a lot guys. I really want to make this save work as I feel I've bought well (Honda & a cracking young Argentine def from Palermo) and also have Bergkamp & Adams back as coaches (sentimental maybe, haha)

Willybroadband if you had read the thread you would have seen that I changed from 4-2-3-1 because I was leaking goals, so I changed to 4-1-2-2-1 or 4-3-3 as it's called.

Quite a few others also had a problem with conceding goals.

Ok cool, thanks. I'll have a proper read.

@WillyBroadband I think you might need a better keeper. As much as I love chesney, he just isn't good enough. I'm in my 4th season and all I've won is the champions league. Mertersacker and koscielney Play amazing for me but I conceded too many goals. I got valdes on a free but he didn't help so I decided I would go all out for a new keeper. Thibault Coutous didn't wanna come to me so I bought red stegan, I'm about 15 games into the season and I'm at the top of the league, conceding less than I did at the same point the season before. Sometimes the difference between winning and losing is a simple save

@WillyBroadband: CM automatic and BWM won't work in the midfield of a 4-2-3-1, you need central midfielders who will sit and hold position in order to protect the defence and to offer your attack depth.

Change Arteta to a DLP d/s and Flamini to a CMd.

Your full backs are offering no movement with both of them being on a defence duty, change the DL to an attack duty, and the DR to a support duty. To compensate for this, you may want to put the CMd on the left with the DLP on the right.

You may want to rethink Giroud's role, but if it's working than that's fine.

lost the CL final 1-0 but forgot to save, reloaded and lost 3-0 via holidaying it.

Lost it due to them kiking shaw and Ox off the park in the FA cup defeat and we Vietto has had a poor season, so i'll give him 1 more before shipping him off if he does not improve

Willybroadband:

I disagree with brigzi - Szczesny is an excellent goalkeeper, if you cannot keep a reasonable proportion of clean sheets with him in goal, i suspect it is not down to him...

4 defend duties in defence is very poor, no movement forward to stretch the opposition or keep the ball. You also have a BWM(D) & MC(Auto) in midfield - the BWM does not SIT in midfield, he goes looking to win the ball, you have no cover alongside him - either change BWM to a CM(D) or his midfield partner to a DLP(S) instead. 4-2-3-1 is fine, its all in the application of it. I am top with 15 wins out of 16 in all competitions so far with it, it cannot be that bad.

Still struggling then go to the tactics & training forum and read my 5 "pairs and combinations" guides. Oh and wwfan's 12 steps guide - no offence but you clearly are not adhering to some basic rules there.

January 2014

PREM - Tottenham 0 - 1 Arsenal - Wilshere

FAC 3rd Rnd - Arsenal 2 - 0 Millwall - Vietto, Giroud

C1C S/F

1st leg - Arsenal 2 - 0 Everton - Özil, Koscielny

PREM - Southampton 0 - 3 Arsenal - Vietto, Wilshere, Podolski

PREM - Arsenal 1 - 0 Swansea - Gibbs

C1C S/F

2nd leg - Everton 2 - 1 Arsenal - (2-3 agg) Özil

FAC 4th Rnd - Watford 1 - 3 Arsenal - Oxlade-Chamberlain (3)

PREM - Arsenal 5 - 1 C. Palace - Giroud (2), Özil, Mariappa (og), Oxlade-Chamberlain

Premier League Table

Arsenal P23 W22 D1 L0 Pts 67

Chelsea P23 W16 D5 L2 Pts 53

Everton P23 W14 D4 L5 Pts 46

Southampton P23 W11 D7 L5 Pts 40

C1C Final - We will be playing Chelsea in the Capital One Cup Final at Wembley.

FA Cup 5th Rnd - Arsenal v WBA/Stoke City - (Replay Stoke 2 - 1 WBA)

@WillyBroadband: CM automatic and BWM won't work in the midfield of a 4-2-3-1, you need central midfielders who will sit and hold position in order to protect the defence and to offer your attack depth.

Change Arteta to a DLP d/s and Flamini to a CMd.

Your full backs are offering no movement with both of them being on a defence duty, change the DL to an attack duty, and the DR to a support duty. To compensate for this, you may want to put the CMd on the left with the DLP on the right.

You may want to rethink Giroud's role, but if it's working than that's fine.

Cool, thanks a lot for your help man..

llama3 is saying the same too so will definitely give that a try. Thanks again.

Willybroadband:

I disagree with brigzi - Szczesny is an excellent goalkeeper, if you cannot keep a reasonable proportion of clean sheets with him in goal, i suspect it is not down to him...

4 defend duties in defence is very poor, no movement forward to stretch the opposition or keep the ball. You also have a BWM(D) & MC(Auto) in midfield - the BWM does not SIT in midfield, he goes looking to win the ball, you have no cover alongside him - either change BWM to a CM(D) or his midfield partner to a DLP(S) instead. 4-2-3-1 is fine, its all in the application of it. I am top with 15 wins out of 16 in all competitions so far with it, it cannot be that bad.

Still struggling then go to the tactics & training forum and read my 5 "pairs and combinations" guides. Oh and wwfan's 12 steps guide - no offence but you clearly are not adhering to some basic rules there.

Thank you very much llama3, much appreciated. I disagree too - Szczesny has been one of my best performers so far and has kept me in a couple of games. Will try yours & max787's advice definitely.

I changed to a 4-3-3 and won both games but still shipped goals - I much prefer Özil in the middle tbh, very much like real life.

On another note - I'm going to the next two home games against Southampton & Marseille, is anyone else on here going too?

January 2014

PREM - Tottenham 0 - 1 Arsenal - Wilshere

FAC 3rd Rnd - Arsenal 2 - 0 Millwall - Vietto, Giroud

C1C S/F

1st leg - Arsenal 2 - 0 Everton - Özil, Koscielny

PREM - Southampton 0 - 3 Arsenal - Vietto, Wilshere, Podolski

PREM - Arsenal 1 - 0 Swansea - Gibbs

C1C S/F

2nd leg - Everton 2 - 1 Arsenal - (2-3 agg) Özil

FAC 4th Rnd - Watford 1 - 3 Arsenal - Oxlade-Chamberlain (3)

PREM - Arsenal 5 - 1 C. Palace - Giroud (2), Özil, Mariappa (og), Oxlade-Chamberlain

Premier League Table

Arsenal P23 W22 D1 L0 Pts 67

Chelsea P23 W16 D5 L2 Pts 53

Everton P23 W14 D4 L5 Pts 46

Southampton P23 W11 D7 L5 Pts 40

C1C Final - We will be playing Chelsea in the Capital One Cup Final at Wembley.

FA Cup 5th Rnd - Arsenal v WBA/Stoke City

You are having a blinding season Ross - very jealous.

I did a season on the beta as a bit of a test and will be starting a new save soon (well, once I can be bothered going through another pre season).

I am keeping an eye out for your new hybrid tactic though. My best ever FM save was back on FM11 and used a DM, MC & AMC (but not in a straight line) and I have tried a few times since to make that work again but it has always been abysmal...

Hoping you might be able to crack it! I really like the idea of Ozil in the AMC position but not at the expense of the rest of the team...

Thank you very much llama3, much appreciated. I disagree too - Szczesny has been one of my best performers so far and has kept me in a couple of games. Will try yours & max787's advice definitely.

I changed to a 4-3-3 and won both games but still shipped goals - I much prefer Özil in the middle tbh, very much like real life.

On another note - I'm going to the next two home games against Southampton & Marseille, is anyone else on here going too?

I am going Southampton actually. Big match now....

Yes I am home from Abu Dhabi for 2 weeks, so going to Southampton, Marseille & Hull. Fly in on 21st and fly out on 5th.

Wilshere finished 2nd in the world player of the year award! My decision to sell Ozil, and make Jack my key player, looks to be paying off. He's currently my top scorer and assister :)

Kevin Volland is the other stand out performer, but he's a bit inconsistent. It's only his first season though, so I expect him to push on and improve next year. Drogba is still fantastic, even at the age of 39, very capable backup who rotates with my main striker and offers something different from the bench. Unfortunately, he's retiring in May so I'll need to find a new "plan B" striker. Drogba has been one of my best ever signings on FM I think, free transfer, relatively cheap wages, 32 goals in about 40 appearances, and he's been a fantastic tutor. He has brought my two most promising strikers up to 19 determination and given them a "perfectionist" personality via tutoring.

The striker role is giving me problems in my 4-2-3-1, he's scoring and assisting, but isn't very involved in play. Oddly enough, target man attack seems to be getting the best performances out of my striker (and the team) despite the fact that he only has 5 jumping and 7 strength. Probably because it gives the team a focal point for counter attacks (long balls down the channels), and a target for crosses (scores quite a few despite his lack of aerial ability thanks to his off the ball and anticipation stats).

I've been using the gegenpressing 4-2-3-1 for all matches, I've also made a 4-4-1-1 (with the same settings, just dropped the wingers back) for closing out games, and I've been using my FM13 British 4-4-2 for chasing games.

City, Chelsea, PSG, and Madrid, are currently interested in Ramsey, I may sell him if I receive a big bid (35m+) as I prefer my CMs to be stronger defensively.

Finished remaining matches of december 2013

PL - Arsenal 4-2 Crystal Palace - Podolski, Giroud (2x), Wilshere

PL - Arsenal 2-0 Stoke - Giroud (2x)

PL - Hull 3-0 Arsenal - Giroud (2x), Wilshere

PL - West Ham United 2-1 Arsenal - Giroud (2x)

Giroud on fire last couple of matches (as poacher).

Some tough matches coming up...Liverpool (H), ManU (A) fa-cup, ManU (H)

Just finished November:

PL - Arsenal 1-0 Liverpool - Giroud

UCL - Arsenal 3-0 Viktoria Plzen - Bendtner, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Koscielny

PL - Man Utd 1-0 Arsenal

PL - Arsenal 4-1 Southampton - Vermaelen, Giroud, Podolski, Ozil

UCL - Porto 0-0 Arsenal

PL - Cardiff 0-1 Arsenal - Koscielny

Lost my unbeaten run in the league against Man Utd, but recovered well. Qualified as group winners in Champions League with a game to go, and have a league cup quater final away to Swansea in December too.

I am really struggling to develop a successful 4231. I would like to do it without many changes to the starting squad. Llama, do you use the 4231 with the two DM's or with two MC's? The former seems to provide more stability but Arsenal don't really have the personnel for it, the latter appears more risky against better opponents. Like many I would like to make the best use of Wilshere, Cazorla and Ozil, but fitting them into a system that works is hard. Mind you, I had trouble getting the best out of Wilshere and Cazorla in FM13.

February 2014

PREM - Arsenal 3 - 0 Everton - Balanta (2), Podolski

PREM - Aston Villa 1 - 2 Arsenal - Arteta, Oxlade-Chamberlain

PREM - Man United 0 - 1 Arsenal - Giroud

FAC 5th Rnd - Arsenal 2 - 0 Stoke City - Özil, Vietto

PREM - Chelsea 0 - 0 Arsenal

UCL Rnd 16 1st leg - Shakhtar D 2 - 2 Arsenal - Walcott, Giroud

PREM TABLE

Arsenal P27 - Pts 77

Chelsea P28 - Pts 64

Everton P27 - Pts 53

Southampton P27 - Pts 48

FA CUP

6th Round away to Chelsea - So far we have played Chelsea twice in the League and now we have got to play them again in our next 2 games, at Wembley C1C Final and in the FA Cup.

JANUARY/FEBRUARY (2 matches) 2014

PL - Arsenal 3-0 Liverpool - Giroud (2x), Podolski

FA - Man United 2-2 Arsenal - Ox, Giroud (90. equalizer by Giroud)

PL - Arsenal 2-0 Man United - Balanta (2x)

FA - Arsenal 3-1 Man United - Mertesacker, Podolski, Ozil

PL - Fulham 1-2 Arsenal - Wilshere, Drogba

FA - Rochdale 1-4 Arsenal - Vermaelen, Arteta, Balanta, Mitrovic (red card Vermaelen 57.)

PL - Sunderland 0-2 Arsenal - Walcott (2x)

PL - Arsenal 3-0 Aston Villa - Walcott (2x), Drogba

PL - Swansea 1-2 Arsenal - Ozil, Walcott

Secured big results in the big games in a row :). After the good form of Giroud now Walcott is performing great and Ozil.

Snapped up Drogba (backup and good tutor for Mitrovic). Sanogo went to O.Marseille on loan.

Table

1. Arsenal P25 W20 D3 L2 Pts 63

2. ManU P25 W18 D3 L4 Pts 57

3. Chelsea P25 W16 D6 L3 Pts 54

4. Everton P25 W15 D3 L7 Pts 48

5. Man City P25 W11 D9 L5 Pts 42

6. Spurs P25 W12 D5 L8 Pts 41

llama, before you disappear can I please have some of your advice and words of wisdom.

I am trying a tactic, see post 441, and instead of having 2 in central midfield I am trying 1 dm and 1 in midfield its like a cross between 4-1-2-2-1 and 4-2-3-1.

Now I would like the DM to stay where he is and the only position where I can use the 'Hold Position' move is Regista.

What are your thoughts llama?

I played a few matches with DM as Regista and Hold Position and then played him as his usual DM/d and when we were attacking he was taking up the same positions as he was when a Regista, so I don't think I'll bother changing him.

The reason I want to go back to 4-2-3-1 is because I want to play Özil as a AMC. So far he has played as both AMC and IR/a on the right with 21 goals and 12 assists from 35 matches.

Archived