Modern Warfare 442

I'm sure that will work fine. During the season I have it on balanced/average and 30% defensive positioning, but mainly because I like racking up clean sheets and I seem to score enough anyway.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Started using this tactic with my new york redbulls game as i've been wanting a decent two striker tactic since i started playing.

Seems pretty good so far, good attacking movement. Though i perhaps dont have the creative and pacey players to show off its full potential. As eple suggested i sometimes move the bwm down to dmc when a more defensive approach is needed. Also considered moving one striker down to amc to accomodate some fringe player but havent needed to try that yet as its working so well.

How's it going for you Rich?

Not had chance to play for a few days as I have been away for easter etc, but I started season 3 in the prem with Derby and had a pretty good budget so managed to sign some nice players and I think I played 5 or 6 games at the start of the season and won them all fairly easily.

I am thinking about trying it from the start with a slightly better team, maybe Swansea as they have a squad about on par with my season 4 Derby side. I want to see if it will work in another save or weather my Derby side is just suited to it.

EDIT: Actually just checked my Derby save and I am top after 18 games, won 14 drew 2 lost 2 so far.

Early signs are very promising.

Already promoted with Cardiff and my normal 4-4-2 tactic was doing ok but thought I'd try something a bit different.

Started with these results:

WBA 0-3 Cardiff

Cardiff 2-2 Spurs

Cardiff 0-1 Charlton (League Cup but played my reserves)

Arsenal 1-2 Cardiff

Swapped from Overload to Counter during the games v Spurs and Arsenal when the Overload saw us being caught out a bit against quality opposition.

The main thing I've noticed apart from creating a number of chances is that my CM gets forward a lot and has scored 3 in 3 so far.

It's a risky tactic against quality teams but switching it to Counter seems to work well.

Impressed so far even though it's early days.

Started using this tactic with my new york redbulls game as i've been wanting a decent two striker tactic since i started playing.

Seems pretty good so far, good attacking movement. Though i perhaps dont have the creative and pacey players to show off its full potential. As eple suggested i sometimes move the bwm down to dmc when a more defensive approach is needed. Also considered moving one striker down to amc to accomodate some fringe player but havent needed to try that yet as its working so well.

I have done that too, when I haven't had the right striker to use as a CF-s. I've had success with moving the BMW to DMC (DLP) and moving the AP-s to AMC, in addition to moving the striker down and setting him to IF-s (if he is a good dribbler). I change the passing of the DLP to mixed though and I leave the AF at the left channel. It can be very effective against the right formations as the two AMCs will drag the opponents CBs out of position and hit plenty of through balls to the striker.

I find that with this game so much relies on your team talks, if you get it wrong you can ruin a game. Where as sometimes a couple players are just having a bad day and you have to be quick to realize that and get them off quick.

I was just playing a game with this tactic dreadful, we were 2-0 down at half time and not looking like scoring. my keeper had a rating of 3.8!

I told the team i wasnt happy (aggressively) and individually told a couple players I wasn't impressed with their performance while making all three subs. We instantly game out all guns blazing and scored four quick goals. We ended winning 5-3 :)

Has anyone tried this at blue square level, im really looking for a tactic to get bromley promoted!!

I used it with Forest Green. It got me consecutive promotions all the way to the PL, but obviously players are a bit all over the place at that level so its hard to predict how they react.

Gotta be honest, this tactic seems much of a muchness, like all the other tactics that are around, decent at home, shocking away and certainly not a good tactic for underdogs....all the great feedback for this tactic of Derby romping to titles and someone else winning 6 premiership titles in a row, well I simply don't believe it's happening without some form of cheating going on, I note in one of the earlier ones there's a post about beating Barca 5-0 but the screenshot shows it also showing how the Barca team reacted to the team talks indicating that there was a 2nd human player involved

Bought in a few new players, 7 new players in my starting 11 this season and 14 new players in total, still not world class but much better team now. Shelled out £35 million strengthening the squad but I actually sold 11 players for £51 million, so I have improved my team and made £15 million whilst doing it. Really getting some big results now, drew away at Real Madrid in champions league, beat PSG 5-0 and Shaktar 6-1, drew away at Man U in the league after being the better side and now just got this result in the league :D

a4q8gj.png

Great results rich . What are your general team talks?

Gotta be honest, this tactic seems much of a muchness, like all the other tactics that are around, decent at home, shocking away and certainly not a good tactic for underdogs....all the great feedback for this tactic of Derby romping to titles and someone else winning 6 premiership titles in a row, well I simply don't believe it's happening without some form of cheating going on, I note in one of the earlier ones there's a post about beating Barca 5-0 but the screenshot shows it also showing how the Barca team reacted to the team talks indicating that there was a 2nd human player involved

I'm playing with Crewe at the moment. 1st season I won the league fairly easy(pics in the Crewe-thread in team guides forum), but it took a few months until it started to look like the tactic I knew from Inter (screens above). 2nd season and I'm bottom half in October. Granted it is with a very weak squad (was predicted to finish 19th in league one and 24th in champ), and I'm conceding through the middle like LA_cat mentioned, but I can see signs of it starting to change. Why? It's fairly simple and you are absolutely correct with what you say... this tactic is extremely attacking and until teams start primarily being concerned with defending against you from the start you will struggle at times, especially if you are an underdog and playing away from home. My advice if you still want to give it a try is to wait at least until November, and during that time, whenever you are in the lead in games make sure you take steps to protect that lead. Until you are in a dominant position this tactic is not simple plug-n-play.

I can tell you hand on heart there is no cheating going on in my screens, although I doubt someone's word on an internet forum matters much, but consider this.. you can reload to ensure you win games, but you can't reload to ensure you don't concede.

No cheating from me, nor have I claimed it is any sort of great tactic, I simply stated it was working for me with a few tweaks and then people started asking me to upload and post screens so I did. If it does not work for you then it does not work, I never said it would, just it works for me. I said away from home prepare for a few spankings. I have not reloaded once either, I played the entire season/seasons front start to finish.

If it does not work then try something else. but don't accuse people of cheating.

By the way when you accuse the guy who beat Barca of cheating, just go to your fixture list and click on any past result and you will see the exact same thing on the overview screen. No 2nd player needed at all.

My steam it appears has only updated to patch 13.3.0.

I had assumed that it would have updated to 13.3.3 which is why i was attempting to use the tactic with rich_barnes' tweaks. I wasn't having much luck.

Can someone tell me, since it is patch 13.3.0 would it be better to use the original? Would the original work on that particular patch?

Also, is it essential that the AM can run with the ball and has good dribbling?

Playing as Dag & Red was working perfectly... First season

Then it got to January and it fell apart.

As its a lower league team I would start with the "defensive adjustments playing with tempo at 0 and Control and Fluid team settings.

Any advice?

I've done alright with poor teams changing to counter/balance and then unticking d-line/tempo/time wasting, but keeping the width at 0. I also set roaming and creative freedom to defualt. This is in addition to previous mentioned changes that includes zonal marking and adding run with ball on the AP-s if he is a good dribbler, or changing him to attack mentality if he is likely to score a few in the box.

• 2 weeks later...
Does this still work on 13.3.3 as well as it did on earlier patches?

It's all I've used since it came out and it's worked wonders for me - got Harrogate Town success promotions (apart from one season) from BSN to the Prem - then after a couple of safe seasons in the Prem I got the Spurs job - first season with spurs I won the league and FA Cup - second season with Spurs I won Champions League, Premier League, FA and League Cups...so yeap...definitely works.

It's all I've used since it came out and it's worked wonders for me - got Harrogate Town success promotions (apart from one season) from BSN to the Prem - then after a couple of safe seasons in the Prem I got the Spurs job - first season with spurs I won the league and FA Cup - second season with Spurs I won Champions League, Premier League, FA and League Cups...so yeap...definitely works.

Oh okay, weird as i stopped using it after the earlier patches as i thought it wasnt working well.

No harm giving it another try!

Have you made any tweaks or do you do anything different in particular?

Oh okay, weird as i stopped using it after the earlier patches as i thought it wasnt working well.

Hi Jimmyrh94, have you tried this? It's working wonders for me:

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/football-manager-2013-tactics-training/118200-tactic-fanta-4-1-4-1-lies-down-cries-13-3-3-a-post1747374.html#post1747374

I've used it since it came out...no tweaks at all...originally got it from fmbase after it was mentioned on here...works like a dream for me...all about the right players though so make sure you know the right stats for each position...mostly it's straightforward common sense.

• 2 weeks later...

Tried the rich_barnes tactic and it has transformed everything. Was mid-table at start of November with Preston having been using Modern Warfare so made the switch. Lost first two games but stuck with it. Record with new tactic:

Pl32 W20 D8 L4 (this included a 19 game unbeaten streak in the league)

Finished as League 1 champions. Just started in championship and won first 2 games against Leicester and Wigan despite having no money and no significant signings.

Thanks so much for sharing this!

Going to try your tactic out today with a new save with Leeds United. May have to do a couple of tweaks to suit my own players but will report back how I get on.

I used a pretty standard 442 on my previous saves with a few very small tweaks and seemed to work wonders, but it doesnt have the same effect on the current patch so time to think of new ideas.

No shouts, no changes, nothing. Just the tweaks I mentioned before.

Rich, is this tactic set up so that, for example, switching from overload to defensive won't really have an effect? Was just wondering if you get ahead in an important match and want to protect the lead, the best way to do that.

Thanks.

Rich, is this tactic set up so that, for example, switching from overload to defensive won't really have an effect? Was just wondering if you get ahead in an important match and want to protect the lead, the best way to do that.

Thanks.

I really don't know, as I only ever played overload. It is not my tactic, all I did is a few small tweaks, I don't know how changing to other mentalities effect it. If I had a lead I would usually just try and score more goals, that's my idea of protecting it.

It worked very well at the time, and is a great fun tactic, but it was also very erratic and you can suffer heavy defeats if you play a side much better than you, so I no longer use this tactic personally, as I think that better ones have been available for download which are more stable against good sides than this one. If you are struggling to find a tactic that suits you though, this one at least guarantees goals.

I really don't know, as I only ever played overload. It is not my tactic, all I did is a few small tweaks, I don't know how changing to other mentalities effect it. If I had a lead I would usually just try and score more goals, that's my idea of protecting it.

It worked very well at the time, and is a great fun tactic, but it was also very erratic and you can suffer heavy defeats if you play a side much better than you, so I no longer use this tactic personally, as I think that better ones have been available for download which are more stable against good sides than this one. If you are struggling to find a tactic that suits you though, this one at least guarantees goals.

Out of curiosity, what are you using now? I've been using Arrigo Sacchi's 4-4-2 and it can be effective, but I am looking for a backup tactic for those situations in which that tactic isn't effective.

I did try your version of this one in a couple of friendlies against weaker teams, and holy crap - I was up 6-0 at the half. I did notice it seemed a bit "leaky" on the defense though.

Thanks

Out of curiosity, what are you using now? I've been using Arrigo Sacchi's 4-4-2 and it can be effective, but I am looking for a backup tactic for those situations in which that tactic isn't effective.

I did try your version of this one in a couple of friendlies against weaker teams, and holy crap - I was up 6-0 at the half. I did notice it seemed a bit "leaky" on the defense though.

Thanks

I had been using that Sachi one for a fair amount of time but I got bored with the lack of goals and although it was good it never really made me feel like I was enjoying my save despite the good results, it just seemed to be lacking the fun factor.

I now use a tactic that actually has very little feedback over on the fm base forums but I tried it a couple of weeks back and although the first 10 games I tested it with WBA didn't amaze me (I drew a lot) I did like the way it played so I gave it another crack and it really shone. I started a new save with Tranmere and Ireland the other day and I am 27 wins 1 draw 2 losses in the league and nearly 30 points clear and my Ireland team have so far won all their qualifier matches, including a 5-2 win over Germany and 4-1 away to Sweden! I don't want to post a tactic from another forum in this thread so I will pm you a link to the thread on fm base.

Archived