I am serious! And don't call me Chorley.

SnakeXe

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Challenge

Inspired by both dafuge's Challenge and ri916's Youth Academy Challenge, I've decided to have a bash at bringing up a previously unplayable club from the basement to the pinnacle of the game using only players from the youth academy. I've had a little go at working with academy players back on FM10, but that was when the club was already big, and I had a few world-class signed players to tide me over. I did manage an all-academy first choice midfield, but never had any luck with strikers or centre-backs.

The reason I've chosen to do this challenge is that I want to play a save where there is a real chance that I'll fail. After career saves over the past 3 editions have never had anything worse than a slight underperformance in one or two seasons, I definitely think I need to make it harder for myself. After all, losing is fun (© Dwarf Fortress).

The Club

Chorley_fc.png

Victory_Park.jpg

Victory Park - Hopefully appropriately named...

Name: Chorley Football Club

Founded: 1883

Nickname(s): The Magpies

Stadium: Victory Park, Chorley - 4100 capacity (900 seated)

Training Facilities: Basic

Youth Facilities: Minimal, rented

Chorley Football Club are a football club from Chorley, Lancashire, England. They were founded as a rugby union club in 1875 but switched to football in 1883. They have reached the FA Cup second round twice in 1986–87 and 1990–91. Their best performance in the FA Trophy was in 1995–96 when they reached the semi-final.

With minimal youth facilities the club doesn't own, minimal junior coaching and limited youth recruitment, I'm going to be facing an uphill battle here. I'll probably have to battle through with the existing players for a few seasons whilst hopefully raising the finance through a cup run or something to improve the youth development provisions. Fortunately, if my assistant is to be believed, we should have enough quality to at least survive in the Blue Square regional leagues.

Chorley_fc.png

SnakeXe's Career - Season 1 Preseason Update

Board Expectations:

Blue Square North - Stay clear of relegation (minimum of Stay clear of relegation, predicted 19th out of 22)

FA Cup - Fourth Qualifying Round

FA Trophy - First Round

My Expectations:

Blue Square North - I'd like to think we can make mid-table

FA Cup - We need money, so I'll be throwing everything at making a decent run in this

FA Trophy - It's been many editions of FM since I've managed to win this, so I'd like to at some point, probably not this season though

Budgets:

Transfer: £0 (£0 remaining)

Wages: £4,545/week (£3,147/week currently)

Balance: £32,500 (first season at club)

Squad:

The first 11 looks surprisingly strong, left wing aside, but the squad players are fairly ropey. To be expected at this level, obviously.

Key Men:

Goalkeeper/Defence

Dale Whitham - D/MC - Probably our best player - more comfortable in central midfield than at the back, but as we're quite light in the centre of defence, and well stocked in midfield, he'll be filling in here.

Midfield

Kieran Walmsley - DR/MC - Some outrageous set-piece ability for this level makes him a really important player for us.

Strikers

Matt Jansen - AMLC/ST - The former Blackburn man so close to going to a World Cup with England at one point is now a player/coach for us. His little touch of class in the final third could really help unlock opposition defences, but I doubt he'll play every week.

Ciarán Kilheeney - ST - Almost certainly our best source of goals, he's quick and a decent finisher for the level.

Top marks right there :D
Easily the best title for a thread I have ever seen. Good luck!

Thanks guys, to be honest when I was choosing a club I basically decided on the one with the best potential punnage in the name :D

For some reason I find that covered terrace strangely appealing...good luck!

Looks great doesn't it! Reminds me of the one at Brockenhurst F.C. I used to walk past every day when I went to college there.

Great title! Looks like I'll be passing my crown over to you at next year's awards! :D

Good luck, that looks quite a decent budget for a BSN team. Shame you won't be using it!

That's the hope :D

I've had to use a bit of it as some of my better players were coming to the end of their contracts - and a couple were on non-contract terms with other teams sniffing around.

Best of luck,hopefully you can stay clear of relegation and get a couple youth stars coming through.

Thanks - I think it'll either be a quality youngster or (more likely) a good cup run that we'll need to kickstart this. Just a question of hoping that comes sooner rather than later!

I'm looking forward to this, glad my thread slightly inspired you :D

As far as I can tell I've set the game up in compliance with the rules of yours and dafuge's as well, so if I manage to hang on to my job long enough (looking doubtful at the moment!) then I could end up completing both :)

Good luck with this. Also the title is brilliant.

Cheers :thup:

August 2013

AugRes.png

AugTbl.png

Well, I did want a challenge. We're pretty good going forwards, and Kilheeney and Ince have been among the goals, but we just cannot defend. Hopefully it'll be possible to sort that out, but I'm concerned at our lack of big, strong defenders which are so essential at this level. Either way, I'll need to sort things out if I'm going to get anywhere with this save. Kilheeney's injury time winner against Guiseley fortunately saves us from complete panic at this stage.

As far as I can tell I've set the game up in compliance with the rules of yours and dafuge's as well, so if I manage to hang on to my job long enough (looking doubtful at the moment!) then I could end up completing both :)

You could always post a your end of season update in that thread as well if you wanted to, the lads in there would give you some encouragement :malwarewink:

September 2013

SepRes.png

SepTbl.png

A much improved month, despite appearances. We deserved something against both St. Neots and Droylesden, but unfortunately our finishing let us down whilst we conceded a couple of bizarre goals. Our keeper had a mare against Altrincham, but generall we were decent, before we finally achieved our first clean sheet of the season to claim a point from FC Halifax. A dismal display against Colwyn Bay is best forgotten, but we finished the month in excellent style, with a 3-0 thumping of Workington. I made the switch to a back 3 against Workington - hopefully that will continue to yield better results.

My logic was that in a back 3 you can get away with having only one strong, tall defender so long as the other two are mobile - fortunately we have a decent stock of fullbacks who can play centreback, so this would seem to work quite well. At least until Teague gets injured/suspended anyway.

October 2013

OctRes.png

OctTbl.png

Finally getting some of the results our performances deserve - and the 3-5-2 seems very effective with this group of players. We started off the month with a solid 3-1 win over Farsley in the FA Cup, before an unfortunate draw away to fellow strugglers Oxford City. We shrugged that off with an outstanding 2-0 win over title challenging Hereford, before the obligatory mare of the month away at Ashton Utd in the FA Cup 3rd Qualifying Round. Everything they hit flew in in the first half, and we never looked like coming back. Really bad news, as we need the money from a cup run. We bounced back though, beating Solihull Moors 2-1 to record our first away win of the season and finally climbing free of the relegation zone!

Things seem to be picking up. I only did the youth only thing in a relatively weak country so kudos on trying it in England. It makes it that much harder to get things going and stopping yourself from getting relegated instantly.

Thanks - is it really that much easier doing it in a small country?

Very tight at the bottom, hope you can hang in there.

We're much more competitive now so hopefully we can move up the table a bit over the next few months. On the other hand, if we have bad luck with injuries we could well get sucked in again. It's a fine line in this division!

November 2013

NovRes.png

NovTbl.png

Another poor month on paper, however we've played some tough teams and had some really bad luck, so I'm not too concerned. First up we played top-of-the-table Stalybridge, and came away with a creditable draw. The defeat at Gainsborough wasn't disastrous, but the humbling by Guiseley in the FA Trophy was slightly pathetic. A similar one to the FA Cup exit - the keeper just didn't bother making any saves. We improved significantly to blow Corby to bits in the next game, before Bradford PA absolutely robbed us at home. We were all over them, finally got the goal, then got suckerpunched with a quick brace we couldn't recover from. The final game against Marine was a similar story, we dominated but Kilheeney in particular had a shocker, and we only managed a draw.

Thank god for the win over Corby.

Yeah things would look a lot worse without it! I'm pretty happy with how we're performing now, though - if you look at our goal difference it's obvious we're better than our current points total.

December 2013

DecRes.png

DecTbl.png

Another couple of draws where we really should have won at the start of the month - despite it taking an injury time equaliser to get the draw against Boston we were much the better side. We destroyed Vauxhall with 3 goals early on in the first half then sat back and held on comfortably, before probably one of the most abject performances of my career saw us easily turned over by Guiseley. We weren't much better against Worcester at home, but put on a great display of character to come back from a goal down to beat St. Neots, young striker Pritchard getting his first goal for the club to clinch it. It's still really tight at the bottom, I've been waiting for the run of results that'll take us clear for a couple of months and it just hasn't materialised.

January 2014

JanRes.png

JanTbl.png

A really bad month sees us right back into relegation worries. We play well and draw, play badly and get thumped. Kilheeney has massively lost form, we just can't score enough goals without him playing well. I'm starting to get quite worried we won't actually escape relegation - the standard is much higher than I expected, I thought we'd pull well clear once we started putting results together, but everyone's just sort of stayed together.

Thanks - is it really that much easier doing it in a small country?

I think so. For me Sweden had a lot of poor teams in the bottom division making it much easier for me to set myself in that league. Also the difference in quality between the leagues in Sweden was very minimal as shown by teams from the 2nd and 3rd tier sometimes winning the Swedish Cup. The leagues in England are a lot higher quality I think and the difference in quality is much bigger between the leagues (especially from Championship to Premiership).

Admittedly you don't have to then drag the country up the European rankings with your youth players as you will already be at the top.

I really hope you can survive this 1st season. You are doing incredibly well and it sounds like you have really been unlucky with results just not going your way

Yeah I suppose I hadn't considered that. It'll be a lot tougher for me to get to the top of the pyramid but once I'm there the potential for completing the final goal (Champions League win) will definitely be greater. At the moment I just can't wait to see my first youth intake, if they're all terrible I'll be gutted! I really can see survival coming down to the final day at this rate.

February 2014

FebRes.png

FebTbl.png

Well that's much more encouraging! A perfect (albeit two-game) month sees us back out of the relegation zone - slightly disappointing that it's only by a point, though. Against Colwyn Bay we did brilliantly to come back from 1-0 down, Tom Ince drawing us level before Kilheeney finally managed to find the net again. The same two scorers helped us to a great result away at Halifax - 3-0, Kilheeney with a brace. Really frustratingly Tom Ince broke his arm towards the end of the latter game. Hopefully that won't stall our momentum too much.

Archived