FM13 What team should I be!

Purefun

Wanna have one last spin on FM13 before the new version is out. Problem is I just cant get into a game without choosing to try another team. The "boredom" factor has nothing to do with winning to be honest.

I never start with a team in European competition but choose sleeping giant type of teams who try to become something in the big 3-4 leagues (France, Spain, Germany, Italy, England). I've played with St. Ettiene which I enjoyed but stopped after 3 years, and also Leverkusen recently.

Thinking of something new.

Any advice?

Maybe playing with a stronger team but in a smaller league - trying to win the CL? Or maybe a team in the 2nd or 3rd division?

Any advice is welcome. But mostly Id love to see if anyone else faces the same dilemma I do.

• Replies 882
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wanna have one last spin on FM13 before the new version is out. Problem is I just cant get into a game without choosing to try another team. The "boredom" factor has nothing to do with winning to be honest.

I never start with a team in European competition but choose sleeping giant type of teams who try to become something in the big 3-4 leagues (France, Spain, Germany, Italy, England). I've played with St. Ettiene which I enjoyed but stopped after 3 years, and also Leverkusen recently.

Thinking of something new.

Any advice?

Maybe playing with a stronger team but in a smaller league - trying to win the CL? Or maybe a team in the 2nd or 3rd division?

Any advice is welcome. But mostly Id love to see if anyone else faces the same dilemma I do.

Toulouse in France never won the league and they do have not a bad team despite selling mousa and capoue it will be a tough game . Also FC Nantes with the epic prospect Jordan Vandercout again never won the league and trying to overthrow PSG,OM,Lille,OL will be a tall order. Villareal in Spain is a good pick with a bunch of good youngsters moi gomez, dos santos and a bunch of others. Pescara,calgari,roma,catania all in Italy.

But i feel what you are going through im trying to do the same thing i can take my own advice but i love Napoli in Italy, OL in France, Malaga in Spain so i dont like trying to overthrow any of my favorite teams. I just don't know enough about some of the other leagues to try a save there. Problem is i would love to have a save somewhere out of my comfort zone that i can enjoy but every time i try i get bored.

Its pretty much a huge inspiration block as to starting a game that Ill push through with.

As much as I have that feeling where I want to play, Im just not getting into any team I start a save with.

Im sure others have had this problem before. Id love to know what to do.

Hi folks. I'm looking for something to tinker with prior to FM14 arriving; mainly with the aim of prepping for a long term FM14 save. My football knowledge isn't great outside the big leagues, so i need your help.

What im after is a club from say Scandinavia or Eastern Europe that is renowned for bringing through youth. Like a smaller scale Ajax i suppose. Any ideas?

Hi folks. I'm looking for something to tinker with prior to FM14 arriving; mainly with the aim of prepping for a long term FM14 save. My football knowledge isn't great outside the big leagues, so i need your help.

What im after is a club from say Scandinavia or Eastern Europe that is renowned for bringing through youth. Like a smaller scale Ajax i suppose. Any ideas?

Sorry i don't know much about the eastern Europe leagues either I know more about the South American Leagues then Eastern Europe. Only one i can suggest from Easter Europe is a few teams in Ukraine mettalist,dynamo Kyiv,Dnipro,Shaktar there is a few.

I'll do pretty much any team in top two divisions of England, and top division of Italy, France, Holland, Belgium and Portugal.

if you intrested in a tough save with a young squad try toulouse or OGC Nice in France . Pescaria in Italy will be a good save as well they have so good players on there team same with torino and catania.

How about Legia Warsaw from Poland? They have lots of great youngsters in the squad already (compared to other Polish clubs) and in real life the best youth academy in the country. Winning the league shouldn't be a problem so the goal should be Champions League. No Polish club reached the group stage since mid 90's.

Nation: Europe, but not England, Poland, Spain, Italy.

Division: Not top division. Preferably lower division.

European Competition: No.

Media Prediction: Doesn't matter.

Board Expectation(s): Doesn't matter.

Transfer Budget: Anything

Wage Budget: Anything

Finances: Healthy. I mean without debts and overpaid players.

Other: Training facilities level lower than adequate.

How about Legia Warsaw from Poland? They have lots of great youngsters in the squad already (compared to other Polish clubs) and in real life the best youth academy in the country. Winning the league shouldn't be a problem so the goal should be Champions League. No Polish club reached the group stage since mid 90's.

Sounds great! Thanks for the info!

Nation: Anywhere

Division: Any Division

European Competition: Not bothered

Media Prediction: Doesn't matter

Board Expectation(s): Doesn't matter

Finances: Doesn't matter

Other: I'm looking for a destination rather than a set team, I'm already playing as Inter Milan and would like to move once my contract ends. This means I can't pick any club I want, but I can pick a destination!

Try france Ligue 1 its alot like Seria A as far a competition but the rules are a little diffrent. to me Seria A and Ligue 1 are the two best leagues.

Nation: Spain

Division: Top tier

European competition: not bothered

Media Prediction: top half or better

Board expectation: doesn't matter

Transfer Budget: enough to get one or two players in

Wage Budget: anything

Finances: Decent or better

Other: Im looking for a team in spain who I can rival real Madrid and Barca with. I tried Valencia but didn't like them. Im also wanting excellent youth facilities and a few young wonderkids to bring through the team.

Nation: Spain

Division: Top tier

European competition: not bothered

Media Prediction: top half or better

Board expectation: doesn't matter

Transfer Budget: enough to get one or two players in

Wage Budget: anything

Finances: Decent or better

Other: Im looking for a team in spain who I can rival real Madrid and Barca with. I tried Valencia but didn't like them. Im also wanting excellent youth facilities and a few young wonderkids to bring through the team.

Atletico Madrid.

Nation: England

Division: Blue Square North/South

European Competition: N/A

Media Prediction: Top 4

Board Expectation(s): Top 4

Transfer Budget:

Wage Budget:

Finances: Stable

Other: I would like a team in the Blue Square North or South that has potential to move up the ladder, definitely a team that can get into the BSP in the first season.

BSS: Eastleigh are professional and have the biggest budget. I was able to get Hayes & Yeading promoted in season 1 and they have a history of 'making' some top players.

BSN: FC Halifax, Chester or Altrincham?

Thanks! So out of the teams you listed which one would you choose to play with? Just wondering.

Well, Eastleigh would be easiest. I haven't managed them myself but heard they have something like £60k transfer budget - which is massive at that level.

I went with Hayes & Yeading because they 'created' Robin Friday, Cyrille Regis, Les Ferdinand and Jason Roberts in their time - and they have a decent squad for BSS. Be aware, they are PT so it's quite a job to keep your players as they are on NC terms and like sitting ducks. It took me two seasons to convert the squad on to FT contracts before my save crashed just before we went professional, and I was top half of the BSP moving towards the end of season 2.

FC Halifax and Chester would be strong but I never managed them. Altrincham have one of the better strikers for the level (Reeves).

I would go H&Y if you want a challenge, Eastleigh if you want it to be easier, or FCH/Chester if you fancy a Northern team. Only you can decide, but I hope you enjoy whatever team you choose.

Nation:South America, Mexico, and Asia (I have Japan's league loaded too)

Division:First

Continental Competition:N/A

Media Prediction:midtable or higher

Board Expectation(s):midtable or higher

Transfer Budget:n/a

Wage Budget:n/a

Finances: doesnt matter

Other:I just want a fun save that's outside of Europe. Also, i want a club with good youth facilities.

• 4 weeks later...

Nation: any

Division: any

European Competition: whatevs

Media Prediction: any

Board Expectation(s): any

Transfer Budget: any

Wage Budget: any

Finances: any

Other: For my last FM13 save, I won't accept anything but the hardest team to manage, the most difficult challenge there is (in your opinion).

Right then lads I need a new game and if I don't get one to stick sharpish that's me done with FM, I won't be coming back on FM13 and I won't be getting FM14. There's a lot riding on this!

I'm not going to throw a lot of parameters on this but bonuses would be decent facilities (including a newish small, smart stadium), a decent standard which isn't easy to challenge for titles but not a million miles off, and a team with a bit of intrigue but not a fallen giant. For this last point, I nearly started with Duisburg who haven't won anything but were one of the founding teams of the Bundesliga.

Fire away please chaps!!!

I'm not going to throw a lot of parameters on this but bonuses would be decent facilities (including a newish small, smart stadium), a decent standard which isn't easy to challenge for titles but not a million miles off, and a team with a bit of intrigue but not a fallen giant.

If you desire to take on a league not quite in the top bracket of Europe, how about Russia?

Anzhi Makhachkala - formerly bankrolled by oligarch Suleyman Kerimov, but whom won nothing in his quest for success. Following health issues he has slashed the budget and Anzhi have been forced to sell off some of their stars; Eto'o, Zhirkov, Denisov et al. That has left them with a rudimentary squad full of players in their early twenties, but still with some star, saleable assets like Jucilei and the 6"8 giant Lacina Traore. Or star assets to build a challenge around.

They have a new stadium, a 28k build in the city of Kaspiysk, near Makhachkala. Brand-new, opened this year. Their general facilities are average, so plenty of scope to work on. Furthermore, you do have Europa League football available to build the coffers. I'm unsure as to their overall finances or budget.

Just for a kick, Makhachkala is located in the Republic of Dagestan, neighbouring Chechnya. Technically both regions are still warzones, areas of conflict. If you want a little history to your save, raising a team from the Russian provinces to challenge the historical might of the Moscow clubs and the new financial power of Zenit is an interesting challenge. Anzhi are nobodies; founded post-Soviet collapse in 1991 they have won nothing of note and led a rudimentary existence until Kerimov's millions thurst them - temporarily - into the spotlight.

Or, for another option, Lokomotiv Moscow:

The stadium and facilities are very similar to Anzhi; 28k stadium, built in 2002, average facilities, but with the caveat of great youth facilities. A club who had some success throughout the decades, but not spectacularly so. Winning the top division in 2002 and 2004, they haven't been close in the last decade. Solid squad to start off, I'd guess they are rated about 5th to 7th on setting up the league? Another side with an interesting background; generally in the large shadow of their near neighbours, Spartak, Lokomotiv were founded by railroad workers and indeed controlled by the Soviet Ministry of Transportation during the Communist era.

**the one caveat to the above; I'm taking this from FM14, so Anzhi will probably be a lot stronger on FM13, pre sale of players. A data update may be required.

Division: Championship or League 1

European Competition: None

Media Prediction: something around mid table would be nice, I don't want to play with favourites for promotion.

Board Expectation(s): Mid table, bottom half.

Finances: At least secure preferably, but it doesn't really matter.

Other: A team with a squad ready to play a flat 4-4-2, with a good target man in the squad. Player quality in other positions doesn't really matter, I'd like to start with a good target man though.

Hi Andy, some great suggestion there. Lokomotiv may be a little easy, they have a great squad already, great facilities and probably would be a very good game to rely on youths and experience success, but I don't think that there is enough to really bite into there - and this save has to grip me. I thought you'd nailed it with Anzi who have a set up which does require work but there is the initial balance to do that before it goes belly up next season (there is one more year of £80 odd million sponsorship. The trouble is that there is zero youths with promise and out of an 18 man squad 5 are on loan to us and are poor players to boot. If I want to skim through the game and use my youths and such I really need a better starting core!

I do think the Anzi save could have had legs with a slightly better starting squad, but not as good as Loko's. I think something similar could really work. It's my fault, I didn't emphasise how much slant I'd be placing on my own youth products and my general transfer policies.

Hi Andy, some great suggestion there.

A few more for you, Loco:

Feyenoord - traditionally in the 'big 3' Eredivisie clubs, yet equally whom have fallen on hard times and financial difficulty over recent years. Feyenoord have won nothing for a decade and have been forced to eschew expensive imports in favour of developing their own academy. This means 75% of your starting squad are 25 or under and are strewn with talented products of the academy; De Vrij, Martins Indi, Clasie and Vilhena to name but four. The £700k transfer budget and overall club balance of £5.5m means you will look to progress your own talents over the opening period, trying to overhaul Ajax, PSV and the followers.

One negative, the De Kuip is larger than your outline, at over 50k.

Vitesse - A club whom have never won the Eredivisie and sold two of their star turns this summer in Wilfried Bony and Marco Van Ginkel. However, they have a young squad with some workable potential, the Gelredome - built in 1998 - in only 25k in size, and a limited £3m transfer budget and £11.8m bank balance again puts the emphasis on developing internally. The junior coaching network will need development.

Hoffenheim - the German nouveau riche, bankrolled from obscurity by the software mogul Dietmar Hopp, yet founded in the 19th century. They have a 30k stadium in the town of Sinsheim, built in 2009, and some excellent young players in their early twenties - Volland, Firmino, Casteels, Vestergaard - in addition to one or two workable teens (Niklas Sule particularly). £5m is your transfer fund, £16m is in the bank. You want bite? Well try and overhaul the glitterati of the Bundesliga, the behemoth that is Bayern Munich and Jurgen Klopp's Dortmund.

San Lorenzo a club with an established history, stretching way back to 1908, but very much in the shadow of Boca Juniors and River Plate. The squad is youthful and you have two outstanding prspects in Alan Ruiz and Angel Correa. The Estadio Pedro Bidegain is two decades old, capacity 45k. Your bank balance is a challenge; £2m keeping the bank manager happy, a phenomenal £31k of which is your transfer budget! Predicted to finish midtable.

Terek Grozny - one last suggestion, returning to my ideas of the Russian top flight. Grozny is the capital of Chechnya, a city bombed to obliteration during the two main conflicts with the Russian army over the last 15 years. The Sarajevo of the Caucasus. The club is owned by Ramzan Kadyrov, the Head of the Chechen Republic and a former rebel fighter. His father, Akhmad Kadyrov, assassinated in the early-2000's was an Islamic religious leader. Again, there is the history and challenge - raising a team from the Russian provinces to stardom. The stadium is a 2011 new-build, named after the father - the 30k capacity Akhmad Arena.

Since (relative) peace descended on Chechnya, Terek have been trying to push themselves forwards under the patronage of Kadyrov, signing some foreign talent and (briefly) employing some high profile managers like Ruud Gullit. The facts remains, though, they are located in an effectual warzone and the situation is bound to return to norm at some stage. I'm not sure of their relative finances, but I doubt the game reflects that as very large. Worth a look.

• 2 weeks later...

Division: Skril North, South or lower when FM Updates EEE is released (but probably more so the former)

European Competition: N/A

Media Prediction: Anything other than favourite for the title

Board Expectation(s): As above

Transfer Budget: Hardly going to much difference so again i'm not too fussed

Wage Budget: ^^

Finances: Hopefully one without too much debt

Other: ...

Managing Dynamo Dresden has come the closest so far in terms of what I'm looking for below. My Dresden save all went a bit tits up though and I just don't have the inclination to start again with them. Suggestions welcome.

Nation: Any in Western Europe

Division: Any

European Competition: No preference

Media Prediction: Preferably not favourites for title/promotion

Board Expectations: Same as above

Transfer Budget: Not bothered

Wage Budget: Not bothered

Finances: Not looking for a mega-rich club, but don't want a club crippled with debt either.

Other: I'm looking to manage a team that is reasonably well-supported, respected and has a rich history. A club where I can build something.

Archived