[FM 12] The One, The Only, The...Cerud??

cerud

April 2012 Update

47f469458b8a4.gif

Incheon Korea Railroad FC - Samsung Life Korea National League

The Matches

Two wins out of four is alright, but we should have never tied Ansan. The loss was disappointing too. We came back from behind twice, only to have our own player put in the final nail to the coffin in that match. I took him outside and beat him senseless with a 2x4...or rather, imagined that I did. It made me feel better.

fixw.png

The Standings

standingsm.png

Managerial Thoughts

For the first time since I arrived in South Korea, we have the top spot in the National League! However, the league is damn close, with a three-way point tie decided only by goal difference. My goals against are low compared to the entire league, but not to those I'm competing with for the top spot. I'll need to improve defensively if I hope to make some distance between my club and the others.

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good luck with this cerud! (Again)

It's been a good start this season, let's hope you can carry it on.

That's more like it!
Great improvement.
Good start so far,hope you can pull away from the pack.

Thanks all. Being that this is my first full season with the club, I had high expectations. We're doing well to meet them.

You're 'Incheon' your way to the K-League... :D:cool:

You're "frigg"-en awesome ;)

May 2012 Update

47f469458b8a4.gif

The League

A very good month for Korail. 10 points out of a possible 12 is a great achievement. However, our competition is staying close to us. I'm happy that our goals against has improved as well. Also, a clean sheet in there!

fixf.png

Korean FA Cup

Our first match in the Korean FA Cup was in the 3rd Round against K-League club Chunnam. We were given only 10-1 odds of even winning this match and were expected to be slaughtered. How wrong they were!

kfa.png

The Standings

standu.png

Managerial Thoughts

It's still a very tight top of the table. We're a single game from the halfway mark, so I'm fairly sure we will meet our Board's expectations of making the playoffs. However, I want more. I want to stay on top of the league. While top spot doesn't mean anything in terems of trophies, there is a morale factor in being on top. I want my players at the top of their game going into the playoffs and our goal is to maintain our position now. I wouldn't mind some prize money from the various cup competitions either.

Solid start there staying at the top. I think top 2 should be your aim so you have one less round in the playoffs to play.
Good luck Cerud.
Great Job so far this season cerud!

Cheers, rancer, Nobby, and TheGreatTraveller. Been going well so far, but now the various cup competitions are starting in earnest. The schedule is getting tight and players tired.

June 2012 Update

47f469458b8a4.gif

The League

The Changwon loss was tough to take as they are in 2nd place right now. Winning against them would have given us a much better lead in the league. Still, we are doing well, so I can't complain. Goals are coming from all over, even the midfield is chipping in with a tidy amount. Morale is high too, which will be important as the National League Championship is beginning.

fixqv.png

Korean FA Cup

Our 4th Round match was against K-League side Seongnam at home. Again, we were expected to feel pain, only given 7-1 odds of winning. We took those odds! A dominant 5-1 win left the higher league side crying and solidified our reputation as giant killers.

Korea National League Competition

We were drawn with Suwon City, Yongin City, and Changwon. The difficulty with this competition is that matches are every second day. So 3 matches in 6 days and my squad was dead tired. However, We began with a massive win against Suwon City, dominating the entire match. Wins against the other two in our group meant that we qualified top in our group. However, we now play the next round on 1 July 2012, which means 4 matches in 8 days now.

cupsz.png

The Standings

standsd.png

Change of Expectations

Due to our overachieving record, we've been asked if we wish to change our expectations for the season. Our new expectations are:

Samsung Life Korea National League: Win promotion from the league (odd, since there is no promotion...)

Our new budgets are:

Wage Budget: $484 806 (+ $36 108 from beginning of season)

Currently Spending: $465 587 (+ &19 219 cap space available)

Transfer Budget: $77 976 (- $8 000 from beginning of season)

Managerial Thoughts

Still a tight table. There are 11 matches left to go, so we need to maintain our current level of play. I'd also like to get rid of those errant matches where we **** the bed, but I guess that happens sometimes. Even the point difference between us and 6th place is not that far. Kind of puts our good season in perspective and shows just how important it is to show up to each match ready to play.

Performed very well so far,hope you can keep up the good performances and claim top spot.
Going along very well so far.

Thanks, BWG and SRL88! :)

July 2012 Update

47f469458b8a4.gif

The League

August is a slow month in the N-League. In fact, we only had a single league match this month, one that ended in a draw. We should have won this as he had a goal disallowed. On replay, it showed that the goal should have been allowed. That's a couple of points I could have used.

fixg.png

Korea National League Competition

I was very disappointed in the squad over this loss as I felt this competition was one we could have gone all the way in. However, 4 matches in 8 days killed us. For some reason, my squad was dead tired, yet Daejeon was fine. Guess they coped better.

qtr.png

The Standings

standk.png

Transfers

Our main problem on the squad is our age. We have some very old players who simply cannot keep up and have lost a lot of quality in the past year. I've brought in 3 players, including a very young striker who should be able to grow well with the club.

Lee Dong-Won - D C - Dong-Won comes to us after seven seasons in the K-League. He's younger than most of our centrebacks but still comes with great experience.

Seo Myung-Won - AM C, ST - Our new 17 year old wonder. He actually was a youth player with Portsmouth in England, but was released. He's decent for this league with a 5 star potential.

Managerial Thoughts

We are still in the Korean FA Cup, but I expect us to be eliminated soon. Still surprised and delighted that we've made it as far as we have, especially against K-League opposition. The league is our priority though. 10 matches left to go. We need to ensure the these draws and ties that seem to creep in when least wanting do not continue. Hoping that our newest recruits to the campaign can step in seamlessly.

August 2012 Update

47f469458b8a4.gif

The League

A good run of league matches this month. I was worried against Suwon City in the tie as we had yet another goal disallowed that should have counted. However, the win against Ansan has afforded us some breathing room in the table.

fixh.png

Korean FA Cup

GIANT KILLERS!!! First up was K-League side Ulsan in the Quarter Final. They drew first blood. We didn't get onto the scoresheet until the 65 minute and then, we unleashed. Four goals in 20 minutes and Ulsan was dispatched. However, next up was K-League top side Suwon in their home stadium in front of 41 000 rabid fans. That's way more than we've ever played against. We came out and matched them perfectly. This has, so far, been an unbelievable ride. And now, we're in the Finals!

kfa.png

The Standings

standn.png

Managerial Thoughts

We've regained a 4 point lead with 7 matches left to go. Still no time to become overconfident, so we'll need to ensure that we show up for each match and not become complacent. The gate receipts for our Korean FA Cup matches in the K-League stadiums have moved us very close to an overall profitable year. The final will be played in our 5 000 seat capacity stadium, which is funny because it's likely the smallest stadium there is! There will be many watching the match in bars simply because we can't fit them in. Too bad, because we could use the money.

Solid in the league, and you're in the Korean Cup Final??? You might enter the ACL.... :D

I know! The Korean FA Cup final! I've had to defeat 4 K-League sides in a row. It's been a crazy ride so far.

Looking pretty good for top spot this season! Go and make the club proud by winning the Cup, then maybe you can overshadow Incheon United for the season :p

Cheers, Scarman! It would be great to overshadow Incheon United, especially since they have that looming stadium that hovers over our quaint playground ;)

September 2012 Update

47f469458b8a4.gif

The League

Not our best month. Only a single win out of 3 matches meant that we gave other clubs the opportunity to surpass us in the standings. Thankfully, they did as bad as we did. I tore the players a new one after the match against Daejeon. A team meeting a couple days later and I was happy with the outcome against Kimhae. There is still 4 matches left to go. We may have led the league throughout the year, but this has always been anyone's to grab.

fixq.png

The Standings

stando.png

Managerial Thoughts

With the win against Kimhae, we have secured our spot in the playoffs for the N-League.

newssjd.png

That was the main goal at the beginning of the season, but as time has progressed, it's no longer enough. I want to finish top of the league standings and then go on to win the playoffs. The goal is a trophy in our hands, nothing less.

October 2012 Update

47f469458b8a4.gif

The League

Another disappointing month. Not sure what's happening to the squad, but their finishing has become deplorable. Take the match against Mokpo, for example. We had 18 shots, only 3 on net, 6 clear cut changes, and 5 goal posts hit. Mokpo had 1 shot, 1 goal. Miraculously, we are still in 1st place with only one match to go. At least our main opposition is sucking as bad as us.

fixx.png

Korean FA Cup

The final. We were leading until about 20 minutes left when they tied while I had two injured players on the field. Each team got a goal in extra time, so it went to penalty kicks. Alas, it wasn't our day, but I'm happy with our run and our play in the match.

kfz.png

The Standings

stands.png

Managerial Thoughts

One match to go. A tie will keep us on top, which is a hollow victory. It doesn't mean much, but it will give us a better position going into the playoffs.

Great stuff mate though unlucky in the cup final. All that time with 2 injured players, you did well to get another goal to be honest. :)

Thanks, DazRTaylor. I wasn't expecting to make it past the 3rd Round, so runner up in the finals is a great achievement. Guess I'll take it :)

Okay, I do not understand this whole national service thing for South Korea. Two more of my players have been called up for mandatory two year national service. However, their information screens said before that their national service has already been completed. Can a player by drafted twice in their lifetime??

Really? FM includes callups for national service?

That's fantastic. (although irritating if you're managing in such a country) Good work, SI. :thup:

Okay, I do not understand this whole national service thing for South Korea. Two more of my players have been called up for mandatory two year national service. However, their information screens said before that their national service has already been completed. Can a player by drafted twice in their lifetime??

Maybe New Kim started sabre-rattling. :D

Really? FM includes callups for national service?

That's fantastic. (although irritating if you're managing in such a country) Good work, SI. :thup:

Maybe New Kim started sabre-rattling. :D

Yeah, I knew about the national call ups for military service. I just didn't realize that people could be called up for multiple drafts. :)

2012 Season in Review

47f469458b8a4.gif

1st Place - League Title Champions

The League

Standings | Past Positions | Fixtures - All in all, this has been a much better season for Korail. It was also a very nerve wracking season in that the decision for top spot went down to the final day. However, we were able to gain the spot early in the season and never let go. It also made things easier for the playoffs as we received a draw right into the Finals. I was a little disturbed in our performances towards the end of the season, but we managed to hang on.

The Playoffs

261171_148747668545035_3710587_n.jpg

Six teams qualify for the playoffs, but in finishing in 1st place, we qualified directly for the Finals. It was a two leg series against 4th place Changwon.

National League Playoffs Leg 1

Changwon City 0 - 3 Incheon Korea Railroad

We took control right from the behind, scoring all three goals in the first 45 minutes. Changwon tried to come back in the second half but were unable to mount a decent return.

National League Playoffs Leg 2

Incheon Korea Railroad 4 - 1 Changwon City

Incheon Korea Railroad win 7-1 on aggregate

The second half was pretty much the same as the first. We dominated from kickoff to final whistle, winning the league title and superior fashion.

The Cups

Korea FA Cup - A storybook run saw us into the finals. We were never expected to win even a single matches and, instead, took out 4 K-League sides. Unfortunately, we were removed after extra time and penalty kicks in the finals, but very well played by the boys.

Korea National League Championship - We dispatched the group stage with ease only to be taken out in the Quarter Finals in disappointing fashion.

The Stats

Goals Scored - 60 (+ 23 from last season, 1st in league)

Goals Conceded - 29 (- 13 from last season, 3rd in league)

Average Attendance - 1 053 (+ 329 from last season, 6th in league)

The Players

Squad | Transfers - The squad has been good this season. There will ned to be work in this off-season as there will be a few outgoing players due to age and military service requirements.

Choi Won-Woo - D C - League leader in average rating, Won-Woo has been great on the back end. Unfortunately, he's one of our two players that is being forced into a second military service tour. Annoying and doesn't seem to mirror reality.

Jung Jung-Yong - M L - Jung-Yong was brought in to provide a pacey option on the left to put balls into the box and hasn't disappointed. He also contributed his fair share of goals.

Ha Seung-Yong - ST - An amazing year our feeding striker. He would have had more but was out for 6 weeks due to injury at the end of the season. Luckily, he was able to return for the playoffs and picked up right where he left off.

Lee Ik-Hoon - ST - Team leader in goals and second in the league. Ik-Hoon spent the beginning of the season on the bench but won his spot when Bamba, our other main striker got injured. He never looked back and made an impression in the cup competitions as well.

The Backroom

Finances - We made a profit! Mainly helped by our amazing Korean FA Cup run and the gate receipts we received from matches in K-League stadiums.

Facilities - No changes, but the pitch could use a little work.

The Awards

• South Korean National Player of the Year - Ha Seung-Yong - 2nd Place, Lee Ik-Hoon - 3rd Place
  • South Korean National League Top Goalscorer of the Year - Lee Ik-Hoon - 2nd Place
  • South Korean National League Manager of the Year - Cerud - 1st Place
  • South Korean National League Best XI - Ra Kwang-Hyun (M C), Ha Seung-Yong (ST)
  • South Korean National League Cup MVP of the Tournament - Lee Ik-Hoon - 1st Place, Ha Seung-Yong - 2nd Place
  • South Korean National League Cup Top Goalscorer - Lee Ik-Hoon - 2nd Place
  • Korean FA Cup Best Manager - Cerud - 2nd Place
  • Korean FA Cup MVP - Ha Seung-Yong - 1st Place
  • Korean FA Cup Top Goalscorer - Ha Seung-Yong - 1st Place, Lee Ik-Hoon - 2nd Place
  • Fans' Player of the Year - Lee Ik-Hoon

The Goals Revisited

• Make the Playoffs - Achieved and won!
  • Find a quality goalkeeper - Achieved. Our goalkeeper aquisition in the off-season is decent, yet could be better.
  • Turn a profit - Achieved.

Plans for Next Season

Still not sure. I have postponed my decision on my contract as I'm not sure I want to stay around. There is no room for growth at the club as the league has no promotion or relegation. Now that I've won the league, I want to move somewhere where I can progress. Really thinking that I'll be leaving to try and find some new employment.

25th November 2012

korean_herald.png

Cerud Quits on A High

National League title champions Incheon Korail find themselves without a manager. In a press conference held one day after the club's historic win, club manager Cerud announced his resignation. In the media scrum that ensued, Cerud attempted to explain his position.

"The opportunity that [Chairman] Joon-Young afforded me was priceless. I am forever indebted to the club and its fans for their support through my tenure. I feel that it is time for me to move on and try my hand in new challenges. However, I believe that I leave behind a club and culture that will last for many seasons to come. Whomever takes the reigns with Korail will continue the work we laid here this past year. I hope the players are proud of what they accomplished with their title win as well as our stellar trip through the Korean FA Cup. I wish them all the best."

Cerud leaves as the Manager of the Year for the N-League as well as runner up manager for the Korean FA Cup.

47f469458b8a4.gif

I feel as though the time has come to move on. I know that our amazing run in the FA Cup will not be repeatable. We could win the league again, but then what? With no promotion structure in South Korea, I would remain head of a semi-pro club year after year. However, in winning the league and having great cup runs, I'm hopeful that I can move somewhere that will enable me to grow as I want to.

resign.png

Managerial Club Record

incheon.png

Plans

Look for a job! I want to find a club where I can grow in stature, reputation, and through promotion. Depending on what I find, I may stay for a while, but that will only be if it's in a place where I can truly make the club mine.

Great work turning things around in Korea and leaving on a high.
Congrats on winning the league and it's always a good feeling leaving on a high.
Good luck wherever you go next!

Thanks guys! :)

Congrats on a successful save so far! looking forward to see where you are up next.

You really "Railroad"ed the competition this year :lol:

I'm never going to escape puns no, eh? ;) Oscar Wilde is gonna shoot someone! But cheers all the same, cswalk08 :)

27 November 2012

corrieredellasera_logo.png

The Corriere is reporting that the appointment of Canadian manager Cerud has been finalized for Pro Vercelli. Cerud, recently completing a contract with South Korean N-League side, Incheon Korail, has moved across the world to Italy for his new job. Speaking to the media earlier in the day, Cerud stated:

I am happy to have the opportunity to move to one of the national bastions of football. Italy consistently has put out some of the best footballers in the world and the national squad is among the elite. I welcome and thank [Chairman] Massimo Secondo for this chance and look forward to reviving this historic club.

While Cerud comes to Italy with a recent league title win, Italian football fans are notably more animated than those in South Korea. It is important to note that recently sacked manager Damiano Moscardi only lasted 5 months in his appointment. It remains to be seen if Cerud will fall to similar circumstances or whether he will be able to recreate the successes he had with Incheon Koralil.

provercelli.jpg?w=147&h=200

U.S. Pro Vercelli Calcio 1892 - Lega Pro Seconda Divisione Girone A

After leaving Incheon, I saw this job was available. A cursory look over the club showed a large squad, questionable finances, and a massively underachieving side. However, there was no loan debt and a good stadium. I applied and have signed a one year contract to the end of this current season at $180 000/year, a much higher payday than I was receiving with Incheon. While the Board initially wanted promotion from the previous manager, they will wait for this season to end before making new demands of me.

About the Club

Pro Vercelli is the main club in Vercelli in the Piedmont region of Italy. Vercelli is right in the middle of Turin and Milan in the northwest portion of the nation. They have just recently been relegated after their only year in the Lego Pro Prima Divisione and there is a growing demand to return to this higher level of football.

The club has a rich history, including time at the highest level of Italian football at the beginning of the 1900s when they won 7 Italian Football Championships between 1908 and 1922.

In 2010, the club, faced with massive debt, was forced to restructure. They disbanded and the historic namesake was handed to A.S. Pro Belvedere Vercelli who changed their name and took over the legacy. While this club may not have the history associated with their legendary name, fans do not assign a difference. There is a desire to return the club to the height of Italian football.

The Stats

Year Founded: 1892

Nickname: Bianche casacche (White Shirts)

Fierce Rivals: None

Other Rivals: Novara, Pro Patria

The Stadium - Silvio Piola

Year Built: 1932

Capacity: 17 781 all-seater

Owner/Rent: $55K/year

Facilities

Corporate: Fairly Basic

Training: Average

Youth: Adequate

Junior Coaching: Adequate

Youth Recruitment: Fairly Basic

Here is Silvio Piola Stadium.

Stadio_Silvio_Piola.JPG

The club is in dire need of a kick in the ass...

standt.png

There is still a lot of season to go and my goal is to get us out of the relegation zone and move up the table as quick and as far as possible.

2012-2013 The Takeover

Pro Vercelli is 15 matches into a 38 match season.

The Stats

Lego Pro Seconda Divisione Girone A: Win promotion (will not be judged this year)

Coppa Italia di Lega Pro: Reach the 1st Round (will not be judged this year)

Media Prediction: 4th of 20

Wage Budget: $1 714 586

Currently Spending: $1 469 062 ($245 524 cap space available)

Transfer Budget: $2 270

Kit Sponsorship: $110 000 (expires 2013)

General Sponsorship: $132 000 (expires 2013)

Additional Kit Sponsorship: $66 120 (expires 2013)

Average Ticket Price: $17.70

Average Season Ticket Price: $203.00

Season Ticket Holders: 401

Estimated Value: $1.1M

Standings | Past Positions | Fixtures - For a club where the Board expects promotion, this has been a horrible beginning. We need to change and do it now.

Goals

• Hire a decent assistant manager
  • Overhaul the youth squad
  • Make the playoffs

The assistant manager here is horrible, but has a contract until 2017. It will cost to get rid of him, but there's no way an assistant manager with a Man Management of 2 will be in my club. The youth squad has 37 players and there's no need for that. The playoffs are 7 points away and there's 23 matches left to go. We need to make the playoffs in order for me to justify a new contract.

Congrats on the new job! Where does this league lie in the Italian structure?

You picked this club because its nearly pun-proof, didn't you. Well I hope your o"vercelli"us (overzealus) coaching nature rings true with the team.

Unlucky in the Korean Cup final, I frigg-ered that you'd have to lift your Korean side in order to gain promotion and you did that frigg-in well :thup: Good luck in Italy, hope you have Virc-elli no problems at all :thup: Also, that South Korean military service feature is fb, like the Yank said never knew that SI had included that :lol:

Congrats on the new job! Where does this league lie in the Italian structure?

You picked this club because its nearly pun-proof, didn't you. Well I hope your o"vercelli"us (overzealus) coaching nature rings true with the team.

Thanks, cswalk08 and yes, my first thought was on the pun proof-ness! Weighed highly in my decision, but you seem to have found a way!

The Italian structure goes Serie A, Serie B, then two league in the Prime Divisione, and the two leagues in the Seconda Divisione, where I am. So I'd need 3 promotions to make the big league in Italy.

Unlucky in the Korean Cup final, I frigg-ered that you'd have to lift your Korean side in order to gain promotion and you did that frigg-in well :thup: Good luck in Italy, hope you have Virc-elli no problems at all :thup: Also, that South Korean military service feature is fb, like the Yank said never knew that SI had included that :lol:

Unfortunately, there is no promotion or relegation in South Korea, or at least there is none in FM12. There used to be untl 2008 when it was removed from their league structure.

"verc-elli"?.....oh dear... ;)

Good luck with Pro Vercelli!

Also

Just when I was about to say you've finally escaped the puns :lol: Trust my luck of creativity :p

Cheers, Scarman! Yeah...something tells me that I won't be escaping puns anytime soon :)

December 2012 Update

The League

Given the tough run this team has been on and the general morale of the squad, I'm fairly happy with my first month managing Pro Vercelli. Our loss was difficult, however, given that it was handed to us by a club doing even worse than us, I am a bit disappointed. These are the ones that we must win if we hope to push up the table.

I do have something to work with, something I can grow from. And a few new signings haven't hurt either.

fixs.png

The Standings

standj.png

Transfers

I've brought in three new players so far, all of free signings. There's still more areas that I need to improve on in the squad and we have the January transfer window to really make a difference.

Matteo Bianchetti - D C - Bianchetti has spent his youth training with Inter in Serie A. He had been released and unsigned until we snatched him up.

Najib Ammari - M/AM L - Ammari has spent his youth training with French Ligue 1 club, Marseille. Again, he was released and sitting alone when a scout of mine found him. He'll be my speedy guy up the left.

Riccardo Bocalon - ST - Bocalon has spent time with several Italian clubs at all levels. He comes to us after a good season with Carpi in the league above us. Not sure why they didn't keep him, but he's ours now.

Managerial Thoughts

We have moved out of the relegation zone and into the middle of the pack. By the end of February, I'd like to be in the top 10 and making a serious push for a playoff spot. This transfer window will see me enter the market for a leftback and centrebacks for sure. However, I also need to try and get rid of a few players that are just dead weight. Not sure if anyone will want them and I don't want to take the hit in releasing them for free. Might end up being an expensive month.

Archived