Tomtuck's First FM Career Adventure

tomtuck01

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Statement by Thomas Lewis;

Ladies and gentlemen, thank you all for attending this press conference.

As you all know Manchester United have offered me the chance to move across the city from the blue half to the red half and become their new manager. I have thought long and hard about this decision, and have decided that now is the time for a new challenge away from Manchester City.

My time at Manchester City has been indescribable. Over the last four years the club has achieved so much on and off the field. On the field it has been the most successful period in the clubs history. Off it, the facilities have improved greatly, from the stadium expansion to the training ground improvements.

This season culminated with the club winning their very first Champions League crown. When I first joined the club that was the overall aim, and now that that aim has been realised I feel that my job is done.

Manchester United on the other hand have had seven trophyless years, and for a club of its size that is unacceptable. The challenge is a great one, and I simply couldn't turn my back on it.

I know that by taking this job I will have earned alot of new enemies, both amongst City and indeed United supporters. But sometimes in life you are at a cold swimming pool; you want to swim but don't want to get in the water because you know it will be cold. You can remain comfortable on the side of the pool, or you can jump in feet first and get on with your swim. I have chosen to jump in and go for a swim.

I hope the Manchester City fans can forgive me, and will look back on my time at the club with as much fondness and pride as what I do. As for the United supporters, they need to give me a chance and get behind the club. For too long they have been trophy starved and I intend to change that.

Finally I would like to thank everyone at Manchster City for all their efforts over the last four years. From the owner Sheikh Mansour and chairman Khaldoon Al Mubabrak for their tireless efforts off the field, to all the coaching staff and players who have helped the club to achieve so much.

The fans deserve a special mention; for years they followed the club through thick and thin, and although they won't be pleased with me at the minute, I hope that in time that they will remember all the good I helped the club to achieve.

Thank you for your time.

cityexodusmay2022.png

appointedunitedmanagerm.png

I reckon a few those staff members will be following me across the city.

Here is my record with Manchester City;

mancityrecord201822.png

Cups Won

1 UEFA Champions League

3 FA Cups

3 League Cups

3 Community Shields

People may think I took the easy route by joining City and taking all their money, but I am proud my record at the Etihad.

Did not see the move to United coming, but I'm keen to see how you do. Congrats on winning the CL with City too! But the big question is whether you'll try and buy Malpass again :lol:

I'd love to sign him. He started his acareer at United and loves me...............maybe it could happen. ;)

On a serious note, I really doubt it!

haha, yes! Surely you must be the first manager to make that move? Or maybe my knowledge of the club I support is not what I think... Good luck getting them back to their winning ways. Don't think Malpass will be your first signing with that transfer budget. Like cerud I am surprised at Man City's reaction to the move...

Good move Tom, even if its one which will make this thread a struggle to read now ;). Suppose you did have to put up with me managing Liverpool for 9 years :p.

haha, yes! Surely you must be the first manager to make that move? Or maybe my knowledge of the club I support is not what I think... Good luck getting them back to their winning ways. Don't think Malpass will be your first signing with that transfer budget. Like cerud I am surprised at Man City's reaction to the move...
Don't know if anyone else has replied on this, but IRL 1 person HAS managed both Manchester clubs. Ernest Mangnall in the early part of the 20th Century.

Surprize that Man City's reaction wasn't more...vitriolic. All the best with Man United :)

Yes I am very surprised. I guess all the people over in General Discussion who moan about you leaving the Legends/Icons/Favoured Personnel list a soon as you movec from one club to another are wrong! I am the proof!!

Well I'll see what the budget is once the new season reset date comes. The finances are actually in a healthy state. All loan are paid off and the balance is around £60millin. I imagine a better budget than what was advertied.

Great move it will be good to watch you build Man United back up.

Thanks alot dude. Can't wait to get stuck in.

Good move Tom, even if its one which will make this thread a struggle to read now ;). Suppose you did have to put up with me managing Liverpool for 9 years :p.

Yes, so remembering that you must follow me still!

Don't know if anyone else has replied on this, but IRL 1 person HAS managed both Manchester clubs. Ernest Mangnall in the early part of the 20th Century.

There are now two! :brock:

Interesting move to United, now you just have to topple your City team!

Will be very interesting to see who they appoint and what direction they go in during the summer. I can imagine there might be some bargain transfers available.

220px-Manchester_United_FC_crest.svg.png

Thomas Lewis' Career - New Club - Manchester United F.C

Name: Manchester Unied F.C

Nickname: The Red Devils

Year Founded: 1878

Stadium: Old Trafford (75,797)

unitedahistory2022.png

I weighed this up for some time. Infact I left the game on the date for over an hour while watching the tennis as I thought about it. Eventually the decision becmae clear; it's the club I support, I can't say no to the chance to restore them to greatness. As I have said already, they haven't won a single trophy since 2015. Infact ince then they have only finihed in the top two in the Premier League once an last season dropped as low as fifth.

I have signed a five year contract on a whopping £120,000 p/w and my brief is simple; bring them back to where they belong.

Finances And Squad

unitedfinancesmay2022.png

Well I was pleasently surprised when I saw these! Having not played with United on FM I was unsure as to when all the loans expired in game, and I was delighted to find that the loans have been cleared and things are in a very good state. Of course with no Champions League this season things probably won't be as good come this time next year, however I can worry about that nearer the time.

unitedsquaduponarrivalm.png

The squad isn't in a bad way but some younger blood is needed. It is a concern that Gylfi Sigurdsson (32) and Javier Hernandez (33) were the teams top performers during the last campaign.

A season preview with board and personal expectations will follow after the season reset date.

Leaving after finally winning the CL was something I expected, Man Utd less so, not least as I wouldn't have been at City in the first place.

Well it's a chllenge. I could could have stayed at City with unlimited resources, or I could move and rebuild one worlds great clubs. Easy decision for me.

That's almost like Pep Guardiola on my save. He has a stint at AC Milan, but other than that he has swapped between Barca and the Spanish national team about 8 or 9 times.

That's almost like Pep Guardiola on my save. He has a stint at AC Milan, but other than that he has swapped between Barca and the Spanish national team about 8 or 9 times.

The only thing I'm bothered about with Mancini is his narrow 4-2-3-1 system. It will be interesting to come up against that with my three DM's ystem.

Thomas Lewis' Career - Season Preview - 2022/23 - Manchester United F.C

Board Expectations

Premier Legaue: Qualify for Champions League

FA Cup: Get to the Semi's

League Cup: Not Important

Europa League: Quarter Final Place

Personal Expectations

Premier League: Finish in the top three - automatic Champions League spot

FA Cup: The semi finals would do

League Cup: Why not go and win it again?

Europa League: I'm not overlly bothered

Budgets

Transfer: £47,159,466

Wages: £2,169,660 (Currently spending £1,456,971)

Balance: £49,322,222

Decent budget, and with some player sales we can free up more funds for spending and in the wages section as there are alot of players on silly wages who just aren't needed. It could be a busy summer at Old Trafford.

My favourite part of the game is getting stuck into the transfers at a new club. What percentage of sales can you keep?

Yes I quite agree, it is rather exciting. :D

I get to keep 100% of the players sales. :cool:

First, well done on the treble! What better way to finish your last season!

Wasn't expecting what happened next though, but as you say it is hard to turn down a rebuilding job at your favourite team!

Good luck with United! ( Just doesn't feel right typing that haha)

Looking forward to seeing the comings and goings at Old Trafford during the summer.

Making United a side that challenges would be a great first season...and of course lifting the Tom Lewis Cup ;).

First, well done on the treble! What better way to finish your last season!

Wasn't expecting what happened next though, but as you say it is hard to turn down a rebuilding job at your favourite team!

Good luck with United! ( Just doesn't feel right typing that haha)

First of all, thanks alot!

Well I wasn't expecting what came next either to be honest, and as I've already said, the reaction of Manchester City really amazed and delighted me. :)

It's always hard to turn down the club you follow. Congrat on the move to the other side of Mancester! :)

Cheers dude. Was harer than I thought, but in the end I couldn't resist.

Looking forward to seeing the comings and goings at Old Trafford during the summer.

Making United a side that challenges would be a great first season...and of course lifting the Tom Lewis Cup ;).

Haha of course the Tom Lewis cup is the priority! :D

Congrats on winning the CL with City,hope the Utd fans go easy on you!

Well, they've already criticised a couple of my transfer dealings, but that I can live with!

Not followed the thread for a day or so, so was shocked when I see you've gone to Utd. Although it does make sense and I'd have done same if I was in the same boat as you.

Good luck :)

Not followed the thread for a day or so, so was shocked when I see you've gone to Utd. Although it does make sense and I'd have done same if I was in the same boat as you.

Good luck :)

As much as what I have mentioned that it was partly because I support them, it wa mainly because there is rather a big challenge in taking the job. They have struggled for a long time, and in my time as City manager they finished 4th three times in a row before finishing 5th last term.

I couldn't turn my back on the challenge.

good move, You'll no doubt end up with some great prospects through the academy too usually do on my saves anyhow. How many of ur ex players/coaches have you signed up?

Well despite the mass of coaches being relieved of their duties at City when I left, (see post 1353), none of them wished to sign up with me at United - not even my assistant who had followed me from Swansea to England, and then on to City.

Only one player so far has become availbale for transfer, and I have signed him up.

As for Jason Malpass, it is of course very unlikely I will manage him again. There is a slight bit of hope though in the fact that he has twice slammed Mancini for loaning out good young players, inparticular Aaron Parle who last season made over 30 appearances in the first team under me.

Suprised some didn't want to join up, im sure they would have IRL especially as you've been a team for years. I for one hope you eventually manage to sign Malpass in the near future!

I don't know really.I mean he' worth £35million and at our biggest rivals. Even if he did get cheesed off and want to leave, I doubt they would be too willing to do business. :(

Would you do all you can to bring him back? i mean break the bank for him? like you say he's only going to available to you for a world record kinda fee

Probably not no. I mean he'll be 27 by the end of the current season, so he wouldn't have that many years before he started declining. Paying such a huge fee wuldn't be worthwhile. Maybe £40million-ish! :D

well you never know in the football world! so fingers crossed he makes the move. Been a superb career to follow this, and has admittedly being my favourite read in this section and there are some amazing careers

well you never know in the football world! so fingers crossed he makes the move. Been a superb career to follow this, and has admittedly being my favourite read in this section and there are some amazing careers

The thing I have got in my favour is that I'm onr of just two on his favoured personnel list.

And thank you very much for the kind words. They are very much appreciated. :)

Surprised to see you left City for Utd :eek: But I'm sure you've done everything at City, and left for new challenge with your beloved club.

Well yes it was job done at City. I went in to win trophies with the ultimate aim of lifting the Champions League. The Club World Cup I'm not bothered about really, so part from defending the Champions League there wasn't anything left to do.

With United it is similar really, though leaving them may not be so easy.

Thomas Lewis' Career - Preseason - 2022/23 - Manchester United

Transfers

transferssummer2022.png

As you can see there was a fair bit of activity over the summer as I looked to shape the squad. In terms of players coming in, most of it went on one man who I had been chasing while at City, and inactual fact snatched from under their noe!. Apart from that I brought in a mix of young and experienced players, a couple of the experienced ones I have had before and trust to do a job for us.

In terms of players going out, they were all either average, a bit old, or in Yann M'villa's case, on stupid money with one year of his contract left and was asking for even stupider money to stay. £10million was the best I could get for him, and frankly, good riddance.

Andrej Novakovic

An excellent young player, who with a god amount of first team football can develop excellently. City have let a potential gem go.

Danilo

I needed another rightback as I didn't want to have to use Chris Smalling there. Also his versatility will come in handy. He is 31 but has hopefully got a good 3-4 years left.

Bruno Pacheco

Bargain buy at £8million. Very similar to Gylfi Sigurdsson, and I see him as the heir to the throne.

Gomes

The summers marquee signing. Very similar, (in more ways than one), to Jason Malpass - lets hope he can bring golas galore and not just depression because of his lack of hair.

Conor Coady

A good player who can play a variety of positions. Not an immediate first choice, but can slot in when needs be. A free transfer, so a good deal.

Alphonse Areola

Joined on a free as back-up to De Gea. Will probably get a few games in the Europa League campaign.

Simon Walsh

Comes in as firt choice left back. Small fee, small wages. Can't really lose in this deal.

Federico Macheda

Brought into to add more experience/numbers to the frontline. He's on pretty small wages, (around £1million a year), and if he can give us 10-15 goals I'll see as a job well done.

Joe Allen

Solid player who does a good job of screnning the back four. His experience will be invaluable aswell.

Scott Sinclair

Has come in for next to nothing as a back up player. Despite his age he can still do a job when called upon, as he demonstrated under me last term at City.

manutdsquadaug2022.png

A good balance to the quad, with plenty of players who can play a few positions each. I don't necessarily think we will be winning the league this term, but i think we could put up a decent challenge with the players we have.

Gylfi Sigurdsson has been retained as captain, and Chris Smalling vice-captain.

Preseason Friendlies

preseason2022.png

Some good morale boosting wins, with a couple of much needed tougher workouts coming in Japan. The only problem was an injury picked up by Gomes, who will miss the first month of the campaign.

Some nice signings there, but the squad definitely needs making younger over the next year or two.

Yeah I know.

For the time being though it was a case of just getting players in who could do a job. The clubs reputation has dropped so much that it is below that of Swansea, which I suppose is partly my fault! :D

Europa League - 4th Qualifying Round

elfixturesaug2022.png

A routine passage through to the group phase, with a solid 1-0 win in Portugla followed up with a crushing 7-0 victory back at Old Traffoerd to give us an 8-0 aggregate win. Hopefully it will give Javier Hernandez some confidence for the league games.

Group Stage Draw

europaleaguegroup2022.png

A fairly simple group, with only the away trip to Spain likely to provide any real issues.

-------------------

The Europa League games were played after the start of the league season, but I forgot to do a screenshot of the league table before our first September fixture, meaning my first update will be a joint August and September one, with the start of the league campaign and Europa League group stage.

Also I didn't bother posting all the Europa League groups as there are too many to be botherd with!!

Archived