Tomtuck's First FM Career Adventure

tomtuck01

League is pretty much over, favourites for the FA Cup final and into the final of the Champions League - the makings of a great season! Bound to have mixed feelings about playing Swansea though - odds on Malpass scoring the winner? ;)

Good luck for the next month! :thup:

Haha would just be too weird if Malpass got the winner! :D

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ha! I was sure it was going to be Man Utd in the final when you said it'd be weird. Swansea is strange though, and I guess you'll have mixed feelings in the end. A very good sign for your management of Swans though, that they are still challenging three years later. I feel like many teams drop once you (one) leave(s) a club - maybe due to consistency, not sure

ha! I was sure it was going to be Man Utd in the final when you said it'd be weird. Swansea is strange though, and I guess you'll have mixed feelings in the end. A very good sign for your management of Swans though, that they are still challenging three years later. I feel like many teams drop once you (one) leave(s) a club - maybe due to consistency, not sure

It's more than three years, I left them in 2017!

200px-Manchester_City.svg.png

Thomas Lewis' Career - 2021/22 - Manchester City

FA Cup Final

How We Got To The Final

runtothefacfinal202122.png

Apart from the third round against League Two Stockport, we were drawn againt very tough opposition all the way through the competition. First was the 4th round tie and replay against United, then former club Swansea. If that wasn't enough we faced Arsenal in the quarters and in a replay that was settled by penalties. And then to top it all off we had to play Chelsea in the semi's! Easily my toughet cup run with City!

The Final

vs.West Bromwich Albion

facfinal202122.png

Well we won, but I am annoyed by the scoreline. We should have abolutely battered them, but our finishing wasn't up to scratch, and we made the last few minutes extremely nervy as we gifted them a second goal. In all honesty I've never been more cheesed off when winning a trophy.

Fantastic acheivement winning the league four years in a row! :thup:

And a well deserved FA Cup win, considering the opposition you faced!

Now to complete the treble!

Fantastic acheivement winning the league four years in a row! :thup:

And a well deserved FA Cup win, considering the opposition you faced!

Now to complete the treble!

Cheers dude!

Hopefully the treble will be done, but Swansea seem to raise their game againt us, so we'll have to right on our game!

Aghh thats a mean draw :/

But its good to see swansea doing well still :p

I know what you mean. :(

Be very weird if we beat them considering when managing Swansea we beat City in the 2017 Champions League Final. Crazy. :brock:

Congrats on the FA Cup and League title. Winning the league 4 years in a row isnt easy.

Thank alot dude. I'm thrilled. :)

4 times in a row :cool:

First time I've managed it in one of the traditional big three leagues on an FM since FM06. :brock:

I think you'll do it in Europe this time.

I don't want to jinx things, but I think we should manage it against Swansea. They may have done well in Europe, but they haven't had a brilliant league season, and e have between them the three times we have met this term in domestic competitons. They are also without their star striker.

lewis600thgameinmanagem.png

So my 600th game in management will be the Champions League final, against former club Swansea. I am thrilled to reach this landmark, and think it's quite fitting that it comes against the Swans in such a prestigious game.

Thomas Lewis' Career - 2021/22 - Manchester City

Champions League Final

How We Got To The Final

Group Stage

202122clgrpstage.png

cltabledec2021.png

A group that could have produced the odd problem was negotiated with relative ease. Galatasary were much poorer than I imagined, and strangely enough Anderlecht much tougher - they could have snatched a win in Belgium had it not been for Joe Hart's brilliance. We beat Milan easily enoughat the Etihad, and the group finished with a much changed team getting an excellent result in the San Siro to ensure we topped the group.

Knockout Stage

202122clkostage.png

We went through the knockout stages in mixed fashion. We were professional in two legs against CSKA Moscow, before being excellent in Marseille and infact fortunate to go thrugh againt them after a poor second leg at the Etihad. Real Madrid was massive, and in both legs we got it spot on. The players really stood up to be counted, espeically in the second leg where we defended deep and countered excellently. A terrific 4-1 aggregate win.

The final could have actually been an El Clasico, but after we knocked out Real my old club decided to get rid of the other Spanish side aswell. How ironic it is that it is Swansea who we face. Football is amzingly romantic sometimes.

The Final

vs.Swansea City

202122clfinal.png

What a stonking final. It more or less had everything, except a penalty shootout!

The game was a strange affair; we had the majority of the possession, whereas they had more shots, though most of them were from long range. We on the other hand bided our time, creating better chances closer to goal. After and hour and with the scoreline at 0-0, I thought things could get tough when star man Jason Malpass picked up an injury. However, Necati Yildiz replaced him and after being left out of the line up, he seemed determined to prove a point. He put us ahead, but Swansea came back just minutes later.

Eventually it went to extra time, and throughout the first period there was no addition to the scoreline, but just before halftime we went down to 10 men when after using all three subs, Kyle Walker got injured. In the second period we rallied together and after a spell of Swnaea pressure we broke clear. Necati Yildiz dribbled to byeline and former Swanea man Danny Welbeck had come from the right wing to tap in the Turkishmans pullback. In the final six minutes they had a man sent off, making it 10vs.10, and we saw it out with relative comfort.

At fulltime the players and fans went wild, as captain for the day Joe Hart and legend Vincent Kompany, an unued substitute, lifted the trophy.

You finally did it! Well played to Swansea though.

Yes Swansea did play very well. Bit gutted for them to be honest. :(

Excellent work winning the treble Tom. Brilliant achievement :applause:.

Thanks alot dude.........now just got to figure out what to do next.

Are you definitely going to leave?

I don't really know. It is a World Cup year so after that there could be a fair bit of managerial movement.

In terms of jobs already available, only in Italy has there been major movement since the end of the league campaign. Four jobs have become available, but the only one I would even entertain is the Roma job. They haven't done very well at all in my save, and have finished in the bottom half of the table in six of the last eight years. Also their finances are in a mess after a consortium took over.

The thing is I don't want to leave it too late before possibly moving clubs. The World Cup doesn't finish until July 10th, and I'd rather have things sorted before then.

I don't really know. It is a World Cup year so after that there could be a fair bit of managerial movement.

In terms of jobs already available, only in Italy has there been major movement since the end of the league campaign. Four jobs have become available, but the only one I would even entertain is the Roma job. They haven't done very well at all in my save, and have finished in the bottom half of the table in six of the last eight years. Also their finances are in a mess after a consortium took over.

The thing is I don't want to leave it too late before possibly moving clubs. The World Cup doesn't finish until July 10th, and I'd rather have things sorted before then.

Yeah it could be a tricky decision but like you say, if you leave it till after the World Cup then most of the club jobs will have gone unless some managers leave clubs for the international scene.

Yeah it could be a tricky decision but like you say, if you leave it till after the World Cup then most of the club jobs will have gone unless some managers leave clubs for the international scene.

That's exactly what I'm thinking. May just be best to see out the last year of my contract with City.

Go to the club you love or stick out the last year of your contract!!! Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!

The City fans would hate you for it, but surely you have to go for it?

Thomas Lewis' Career - May 2022 - Manchester City

Premier League

plfixturesmay2022.png

pltablemay2022.png

Well I was very pleased with that end to the campaign, even though the results weren't massively spectacular. We opened up by securing the league title with a thumping win over Ipswich, Necati Yildiz giving me a timely reminder of his qualities before the upcoming finals. After we did indeed play the FA Cup final, (see next post), we played just two days later against Arsenal, and then just another two days later again against rivals Manchester United. In both games I had to rotate, and was pleased to come out of those games with two 0-0 draws. We finished the season off with another cleansheet, this time in a 1-0 away win at Sheffield Wednesday. Not the greatest result, but I did rest players with the Champins League final just six days away.

May 2022 Continued

FA Cup - Final

facfixturesmay2022.png

After loing out at the the semi final stage lat year, I wwas delighted that we went all the way this term. We didn't perform brilliantly in the final, indeed we made it nervy for ourselves by conceding a late goal, but we got our hands on the trophy. My third FA Cup with City.

Champions League - Final

clfixturesmay2022.png

What an occasion this ways. My 600th game in management was prestigious enough with it being the Champions League final, but for it to be againt Swansea made it all the more romantic. The match its self was superb, just about anything that could happen, did. It was also a former Swansea player of mine, Danny Welbeck, who got the winner in extra time.

Football is beautiful sometimes.

Go to the club you love or stick out the last year of your contract!!! Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!

The City fans would hate you for it, but surely you have to go for it?

My fear is that United might not want me with me being with their biggest rivals, and that I would also of course anger the City supporters and be left with little option to resign!

I don't want to join the dole que. :(

malpasspfapoty2022.png

He's my FM hero. 21 goals and 9 nine assist in 34 apperances - a fair few of which were from the AMR position - says it all.

hartgoldenglove2022.png

The fourth year in a row he has won this now. Only marginally worse than last season, when he kept 28 cleanheets and conceded just 10 goals.

pfatoty2022.png

A good show from the boys. I'm sure there could have been more, but I rortated alot at times this term as I saught Champions League glory.

Thomas Lewis' Career - Season Review 2021/22 - Manchester City

Premier League

Results 1 - Results 2 - Final Table (Champions)

Well we did, four in a row, and English league record. Once again we did much of the hard work in the first half of the season, winning seventeen of our first nineteen games. In the second half of the campaign players were being rotated for Champions League fixtures, but we still won fourteen of our nineteen games, including a vital eight game winning streak between mid January and mid March.

As with last season the success was again built on defence - we conceded jut eleven league goals all season, and Joe Hart kept 27 cleansheets. Altogether we scored 78 goals, not huge amount but a very good amount all the same.

Surely a fifth title in a row next term isn't possible?

FA Cup

Winners

After missing out last season due to being eliminated in the semi's, this term we regained the FA Cup - the third in four seasons at City under my manageement. Along the way we had some corking games of football, including two against United in the 4th round and then two against Arsenal in the quarters. We also knocked ut Swansea along the way, aswell as seeing off Chelsea in the semi finals.

In the final we faced West Brom, and despite not being at our most convincing performance, we won the match 3-2 to take the trophy.

League Cup

Eliminated in the Semi Finals

Unfortunately we couldn't equal the record of four trophies in a row set by Liverpool and later equalled by Swansea. We did well againt United in the semis and were fairly unlucky in both games against them. You can't win them all.

United were hammered 3-0 in the final by their other big rivals, Liverpool.

Champions League

Winners

An excellent achievement. Absolutely thrilled would be an understatement. A very good group phase was followed up by a throughly professional 3-0 aggregate win over CSKA Moscow. We followed that up with an excellent win in Marseille, before a poor performance in the second leg could have seen us eliminated, however we squeezed through 2-1 on aggregate. Real Madrid were our opponents in the semi finals, and in the first leg at the Etihad we performed excellently in a 3-0 win. I the reutn leg we went to Spain to defend, and in the main we did it well. We earned a 1-1 draw, and a 4-1 aggregate win, meaning a meeting in the final against my former club Swansea.

As strange as it was meeting Swansea, (if you recall I won the Champions League with Swansea after defeating City in the final), it was a truly romantic occassion. It was also my 600th game in management to add a sense of destiny to proceedings. The game had everything apart from a penalty shootout, as we won it 2-1 in extra time thanks to a late Danny Welbeck goal. What a signing he turned out to be!

Other Info

Squad Stats - Transfers - Finances

The squad stats tell quite a tale. As good as what some players were, others were just average. Lord knows what happened to Neymar this term - his return of jut six goals and seven assists in 51 appearances was frankly appalling. Nestor Schmidt, such a good performer for me here at City and Swansea previously, also had an average campaign. Neymar inparticular should fear for hi future at the club.

During the summer of 2021 and over the course of the campaign the transfer spending was cut back massively compared to other seasons. The biggest chunk of the investment was on 17 year old centre back Gregg Morton. In terms of bringing money in, we made £32.5million from sales, meaning we only had a net spend of £9.5million.

Financially the club is in a great position. With a bucket load of sponsorship money due at the start of June, the balance will be up around £90million. What was very pleasing was that the level of investment from the chairman this term dropped from £129million to £88million, meaning that the club is heading in the righ direction in terms of making it self self-sufficient. A long way to go yet of course though.

Top 3 Players

Jason Malpass

It's hardly a surprise is it? Another great campaign from him, though I think there is more to come from him. Gutted for him that the injury he picked up in the Champions League final has ruled him out of the World Cup.

Andrey Ovchinnikov

An excellent season from the man who makes us tick. Asked to do a different role this term, he stepped up to the plate. He may not score many goals from the middle of the park, or actually get loads of assists, but what he does do it keep things moving. Outstanding camapign.

Anthony Burdett

He's a rock for us. He only missed four games all season, meaning he put in a tremendous workload. Aswell as been immense at the back, he also popped up with one or two important goals at the other end of the field. He is Englands premier centre half, and surely future captain material.

What Next

Well as you have seen the Manchester United job is available. What some of you may not know is that it is the club I support. They have been trophyless since 2015 so need to be resurrected somewhat. Dare I leave City for United?

Would be great to see you leave Man City and go to United.

I just have my doubts with the whole situation, as I outlined in post 1335.

Also the fact that United don't have Champions League football next term is a big drawback for me.

If you are doubting the situation then I would wait until after the World Cup. See what jobs come available then. If there is none that you fancy then give it another season with City and leave when your contract expires.

If you are doubting the situation then I would wait until after the World Cup. See what jobs come available then. If there is none that you fancy then give it another season with City and leave when your contract expires.

I just think that with City I'm in the same situation as was at Swansea - leave now or it will get harder to do so later. There isn't much keeping me at City really as I'm overlly bothered about the European Super Cup and Club World Cup.

United of coure is a big draw for me for obvius reasons. Maybe not being in the Champions League for a season wouldn't be a bad thing. I mean with City I wasn't in Europe at all in the first season.

Decisions, decisions.

I don't think the lack of CL football should stop you going there. I'm a bit childish when it comes to managing my rivals so personally I wouldn't do it on FM. If for some reason I did I would love to stab them in the back and sign on as manager of the team I support. Obviously the choice is yours and I'm looking forward to seeing what you decide.

I see your point and I think you would have to resign to get the United job.

It seems not! ;)

I don't think the lack of CL football should stop you going there. I'm a bit childish when it comes to managing my rivals so personally I wouldn't do it on FM. If for some reason I did I would love to stab them in the back and sign on as manager of the team I support. Obviously the choice is yours and I'm looking forward to seeing what you decide.

I agree with you. As I said, maybe a season away from the high profile of the Champions League won't be a bad thing as I can do things out of the glare of Europes best.

Archived