900+ passes is it possible on FM?

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
@ tuffers007: Hello, I wanted to know for the preparation of the match what do you use, and even if you use oi

i dont use any just. i leave team talks and match preparation to assistant.. just place the mcr as the playmaker and forward as the target man.

have you been using the tactic? would be great to see how your getting on

Thanks for the answer (sorry for my poor english) I'll keep you updated, if you want I can put the screen, but I noticed that when we are at the edge of the opponents tend to do more steps instead of trying to cross, this is normal however great tactic, (I like tactics where there is plenty of possession).

One thing I have found is that if you're playing with 4 at the back, setting the goalkeeper to distribute to one of the centrebacks seems to offset the fact that passes can sometimes become a bit 'lopsided' when you distribute to the fullbacks. From watching a few games, this appears to be because the opposition decide to close down the middle of the pitch when it goes to the fullbacks, but when it goes to the CB, they seem to drift into the gap between the full back and centreback, trying to close down that pass, but leaving other options open.

Hi.

I have tried to create posession control tactics prior to the new patch with both Liverpool and Swansea. Both acheived a high amount of possession, but both lacked enjoyment for some reason - and neither got close to the numbers I'm seeing here.

After patch, I have tried to create a similar passing system for Arsenal, yet I have encountered some problems before giving up as it wasn't too interesting. The formation I was trying was 4-1-2-2-1, with wide attacking mids. Everyone was on low CF, with the levels increasing throughout - the DLP in the DM spot had the lowest, the other DLP had a bit higher, and the AP had a bit higher, while RvP up front had max CF. I decided long ago that the best way to get the most out of tactics was to have intelligent players, so each player is picked primarily for their mental stats that fit their role. Hence Yttegard Jenssen preferred to, say, Hamsik. Yet my players do not seem to be following their instructions.

Each player has slightly varying levels of passing range, but they're all set to short passes. With very low Creative Freedom, this should lead to a lot of passes between the midfielders, I thought. Yet they are ignoring this and playing quick balls to the striker and the more creatively free of the wide mids. It's a bit quick. Tempo is set on the lowest. It just didn't make sense to me. I would like to give it a try with Barca, simply because they are the archetypes (I don't like playing in Spain, generally), but this seems to be a problem for me.

Also, there seems to be an even bigger disparity between home and away with the new patch. My possession is dropping by 15%+ against similar opponents, simply because I'm away...

Mentality was generally set high - from RvP at full right, to the lowest ranked CB 5 from the right. If I have my thoughts on what the mentality sliders do wrong, then that may be a problem. I thought that they defined where in the pitch the player would take up position, and where they would look to play the ball. So a player with very high mentality would play very high up the pitch in their position, and would play passes to the attacking 3rd, while a player with very low mentality would play very low in their position, and play passes either backwards or sideways a lot.

I started the Barca save I said I would try, and the first friendly yielded odd results. The FB's, especially Abidal on the left, received the ball a lot, and therefore made a lot of passes. They also made a lot of long passes, which was rectified by moving the mentality down, and making the Creative freedom 0. But there weren't enough passes, despite it looking like there was in the ME. I don't know where the rest of the time went, as we passed very little and had most (75%) of the ball. It was the first match, though, so no high intensity training yet.

Mentality was generally set high - from RvP at full right, to the lowest ranked CB 5 from the right. If I have my thoughts on what the mentality sliders do wrong, then that may be a problem. I thought that they defined where in the pitch the player would take up position, and where they would look to play the ball. So a player with very high mentality would play very high up the pitch in their position, and would play passes to the attacking 3rd, while a player with very low mentality would play very low in their position, and play passes either backwards or sideways a lot.

I started the Barca save I said I would try, and the first friendly yielded odd results. The FB's, especially Abidal on the left, received the ball a lot, and therefore made a lot of passes. They also made a lot of long passes, which was rectified by moving the mentality down, and making the Creative freedom 0. But there weren't enough passes, despite it looking like there was in the ME. I don't know where the rest of the time went, as we passed very little and had most (75%) of the ball. It was the first match, though, so no high intensity training yet.

As a test, try reducing the mentality of your team down into the lower half and have your passing into the 'short' range. You're right about mentality effecting player position somewhat, but with a high defensive line combined with lower mentality, you'll be in the opposing half anyway. Then, because you have lower mentality, your team will look to pass the ball around.

Also, you might want to have a look at 'run with ball', 'through ball' and 'crossing' settings. If used frequently throughout your side, this can severely damage possession and passing numbers.

I always start at the lower end of the scale and work up from there and I'd recommend you experimenting with it, just as a test. You'll then get better understanding on where perhaps your mentality settings should be. At the moment, because of the extremely high mentality, your players are getting hold of the ball and looking for the killer pass to a more advanced team mate, or running with the ball themselves. If you're looking to recycle possession and develop a passing game, you want players roaming into space and opting for passes instead of direct passes that could easily be intercepted.

is the point of this discussion to just get to 900 passes or is it to find a possession tactic that is sound and capable of winning games? My current Barcalona tactic averages about 80-85% possession per game. I generally created 15-20 shots per game, 50% half chances, 25% CCC's. Most average ratings are in the 7.5+. However, my key players only average around 40-50 passes each, with my wider players more around 60-70. However, i also get around 5-10 key passes from these key players. Its a joy to watch really. No point in having possession without a purpose. You need end product. Its easy to achieve with Barca, but i feel its as close to Tika-Taka as ive come.

I think it's morphed into trying to find an effective possession tactic. The sheer number of passes is influenced by ME restrictions, but a high number is desirable, as long as the poss %, passing %, and chances are there first.

Having said that, care to share what you've come up with?

Thanks for the answer, surely will post the screen, I wanted to try it with the Udine in the Italian league, I keep you updated, thanks again

no worries. if you find you're not creating enough, just slowly increase the mentality and CF of your players. with Athletic i had to increase the mentality and CF of the holding midfielders and defenders by 2 clicks to help support the attacking players.

I did reduce the mentality of the team, and it was ok, but nowhere near what I wanted. I just switched formation to my easy team at home formation, though, which is 1 CB, 2 WB's 2 DM's, 1CM, 1 CAM, 2 WAM and 1ST. It destroyed Racing at home, really well. I have width set to narrow, yet Abidal was again the highest passer, with 91 attempted, 83 complete. Busquets was the best passer, with 62 made, 61 completed. I was disappointed with how much Xavi got the ball as my main playmaker, though. He was on the pitch for 65 minutes, and only made 29 (28 complete) passes. I seemed to focus down my left, but it worked, as I swamped them, winning 4 nil.

The nicest thing, though, was the shooting. Apart from a penalty, all the shots came from around the D, and then follow the line of the D into the penalty area too. It looked good. Some players are still dribbling too much, though, and I don't know how to change that... One problem was the lack of Messi. He usually ties the forwards together, and Villa just isn't as good at bringing others into play, although his movement means he gets goals. I guess I will see if this works next game - I aim to play the same formation against Ajax at home, but with Messi up front.

The big thing that's working is interceptions. I generally make a shed load each game. Winning the ball back for possession stats in the 80%s.

I've just managed to get 916 passes with Bayern Munich in a friendly match against Viking.

What is so funny about the match is that Bastian Schweinsteiger seemingly broke the game. His passing statistics were fine all match because I was checking, but as soon as full time appeared and I checked analysis, his attempted passes and passing percentage went down to 0. I have no idea what happened here, but anyway, he had 252 completed passes.

Bastian_252_passes.jpg

Things to help you achieve this. Firstly, make sure your tactic is one that enables you to create plenty of passing options. I'm playing with only one centreback, but other players are adjusted so that they slot into cover advancing wingbacks etc. It's very fluid and makes sure I have all outfield players in the opponents half.

Secondly, make sure passing is set to in the 'short' range, although I'm messing around with these settings to produce a few more direct passes on occasion.

Also make sure that you carefully tweak the width, mentality, time wasting and tempo of your team. To achieve nice 'zippy' passing, try a slowish tempo with low time wasting. I've increased my width in recent tweaks to around about mid way - a few notches less - and my tempo has also been increased to first notch of normal where as before it was around three notches from the left. Because tempo has been increased, then I've increased my time wasting ever so slightly, but it's still in 'rarely'. No players are told to hold up the ball as I'm looking for the ball to be moved elegantly in and around the opposition's half.

Obvious problems with these tactics are chances. A few people will make possession tactics, opting for slow tempo and some have even gone as far as to make everyone hold up the ball. Effective in keeping possession, yes, but is it effective at creating chances...I'd argue, no.

You have to find the happy medium between keeping the ball, trying to cut out backwards passes, which can be a problem with fairly low levels of mentality, as well as allowing people to run with the ball and try through balls. Allowing people to run with the ball etc is obviously going to have a detrimental effect on possession and passing percentage, but hey, we have to win football matches right?!

Passing length is also a tricky one and something I've been dabbling with for 3-4 days in a row. While short passing is fine, a few people trying direct passing can help cut open the most stubborn of defences. The problem when playing such a high defensive line though is trying direct passes, or through-balls. Through balls are usually played, in my experience at least when using high defensive lines, in and around the opponents goal, but because you're squeezed up against it, most of the time they fail and run through to the opposing goalkeeper. I'm also wary of people trying risky through-balls, as I play with a wide 3-4-3 shape. Balls over the top are a slight worry on occasion, so I don't want my players getting their passes intercepted when we are perhaps reorganising shape.

Hope that helped with slightly more insight on my thought processes and things I look for when designing these sort of tactics. If I can tweak it more (which I have been doing constantly over days and days - going slightly insane), then I'll release it. I do have a full life though with things going on, so spare time is not always afforded to me.

From now on, anyone asking for a link will have their post deleted, anyone who continues to do so may be infracted.

DO NOT ASK FOR DOWNLOAD LINKS. If someone hasn't uploaded their formation, that's up to them, this thread is for tactical discussion. Read the thread and you might learn something. If you aren't interested in learning and just want to download a tactic, go to the tactic download area.

i suggest you start getting the majority of people posting to start discussing then.. as currently its just a 'look at what ive done' thread with hardly any discussion on settings etc or anything :(

Yups I'll close the thread if it carries on, already gave 3 warnings about it.

Hi all,

I posted a while ago about my 1039 passes with Barca (post #24) and I have just seen I had a few PM's about my tactic. I wasn't ignoring you guys I just haven't had an abundance of time to visit this thread recently. Hopefully I can answer a few Q's now.

Firstly though. Tactikzz I'm glad you posted about the weird percentage calculations. I had this before and I thought my game or skin was to blame. I think there must be an inherent limit at which calculations falter.

Club_Brugge_v_Barcelona_Analysis_Analysis.png

(Bigger version http://postimage.org/image/w9a8wlqjj/full/)

Barcelona_v_Club_Brugge_Analysis_Analysis.png

(Bigger Version http://postimage.org/image/6f0g6tqjj/full/)

I managed to try my tactic a bit more and I get pretty consistent results. Always 65%+ possession (generally 75%+) and 90%+ team average pass accuracy.

Barcelona_v_BATE_Analysis_Analysis_4.png

(Bigger Version http://postimage.org/image/bexwerw67/full/)

Salamanca_v_Barcelona_Analysis_Analysis_4.png

(Bigger Version http://postimage.org/image/o7m0ep7rz/full/)

DISCLAIMER of sorts: I have only ever tried this with Barca and I have no idea what happens with other teams. I suspect a Man U, Milan, Bayern etc would also work at a guess

Tactics Overview: I use classic tactics, I personally don't think the new tactics model can give you the freedom needed

Formation: 4 - 3 - 3 (or 4 - 3 - 2 -1 depending on how you interpret it)

I play a standard back 4, flat 3 midfield, left and right wingers and a striker.

Passing style: GK - 5, DF's - 6, MF's - 4, W - 4, ST - 3

Creative freedom: I've played around with this a lot and have settled at 2 for every player.

Tempo: 14

Time wasting: 2

Width: 14

Closing Down: I have Defenders at 6 and the rest at 10

Passing Focus: Mixed

Marking: Man

DF Line: 12

Playmaker: Right Midfielder (for me Xavi/Fabregas depending on fitness, I have Ramsey on loan this season as backup and he's done good too)

Player Instructions

All players mentality 10

Dribbling: rarely, Through balls: sometimes, Long shots: rarely, Hold up: none, Forward runs: sometimes, Roaming: two wingers, Run with ball: wingers sometimes

I leave training focus on teamwork always and I've never bothered playing around with it. I always have it set to very intense pre-season and by league time all bars are fluid, when I put it back to average.

Hopefully this can help/be a base for a few people. Any Q's I will try and keep up with this thread from now on.

I'm guessing it's 256. I remember seeing this when I used to play Out of the Park Baseball. Certain stats couldn't be counted past 256 for programming reasons. So what you're seeing is a technical limitation to how the ME is programmed, and it's starting to count again once you hit 256 (hence the 1 pass and 254 completed...was actually 257 passes and 254 completed).

I have a question for the people how actually makes this sort of tactics.

How do you set the widht and tempo? I having trouble finding the right combination.

Tempo i have to adjust during the game. Depending on the opposition pressure. But how about the widht?

Hope someone can help me with this.

Hi all,

I posted a while ago about my 1039 passes with Barca (post #24) and I have just seen I had a few PM's about my tactic. I wasn't ignoring you guys I just haven't had an abundance of time to visit this thread recently. Hopefully I can answer a few Q's now.

Firstly though. Tactikzz I'm glad you posted about the weird percentage calculations. I had this before and I thought my game or skin was to blame. I think there must be an inherent limit at which calculations falter.

Yes this is true for FM without doubt now.

I've just done three tests, each with Bastian Schweinsteiger hitting way over 252 passes, but each time the analysis section breaks. Played a friendly against Domzale from Slovenia just now and he must have made about 280 passes in total (he was around 240 passes in the late 70 minute mark), yet when I view analysis it showed 17 attempted passes, and 14 completed with a passing percentage of 76.5%, even though his passing arrows are a mass across the entire pitch. I would post a screenshot as proof but it would clutter this potentially good thread up with screenshots.

So yeah, without doubt, something goes wrong with the match engine if one player hits over 252 passes within 90 minutes.

I can see quite a few tactics being used on here, but what do people think is the best formation to use for possession and high passes?

I always try to use an AMC, but find that the formations i use with an AMC are too "forward heavy" and concede alot or get dominated in midfield.

DISCLAIMER of sorts: I have only ever tried this with Barca and I have no idea what happens with other teams. I suspect a Man U, Milan, Bayern etc would also work at a guess

Tactics Overview: I use classic tactics, I personally don't think the new tactics model can give you the freedom needed

I play a standard back 4, flat 3 midfield, left and right wingers and a striker.

Creative freedom: I've played around with this a lot and have settled at 2 for every player.

Playmaker: Right Midfielder (for me Xavi/Fabregas depending on fitness, I have Ramsey on loan this season as backup and he's done good too)

Player Instructions

All players mentality 10

Dribbling: rarely, Through balls: sometimes, Long shots: rarely, Hold up: none, Forward runs: sometimes, Roaming: two wingers, Run with ball: wingers sometimes

I leave training focus on teamwork always and I've never bothered playing around with it. I always have it set to very intense pre-season and by league time all bars are fluid, when I put it back to average.

Hopefully this can help/be a base for a few people. Any Q's I will try and keep up with this thread from now on.

Are those really your settings? Just tried it with my world class Dortmund side and am no where near those stats. Btw what are you settings for your defensive line and do you have counter attack active or not?

At_Madrid_v_Dortmund_Analysis_Analysis.jpg

At_Madrid_v_Dortmund_Stats_Match_Stats.jpg

So my best passer was my right fullback with 87 passes the rest didn't even reach 50. It's really strange every time I try to copy tactics of someone who gets over 100 passes from some of his players I never get even close to that number and I have no idea why but even with very low creative freedom and mentality my team always wants to play an attacking game and very seldom chooses the backpass option. Even though I'm not even keen on making too many passes anymore it really drives me nutts that I'm not getting anywhere near the examples others can get with the exact same settings.

Btw do you really have all players on "run from deep" sometimes? Even your defenders?

Hi Flohrinho,

Yeah those are my settings. One correction though - no forward runs for the two centre backs (thanks for pointing that out) and yes to counter.

What are your teams familiarity with the tactics? I personally see a big difference in play between all fluid and anything less.

Your player PPM's will also have a big effect. I play with Barca and teach all my players one-two's, move into channels etc. Regardless of creative freedom and instructions, from what I've watched (many times) the players PPM's will quite regularly take prevalence over their instructions.

For example. When I was first creating the tactic I tried no forward runs and I would still often see the likes of Dani Alves and Messi running forward regularly. So check what your players have and train what you need.

@ben

The familiarity level isn't at full yet but only a bit away so I'll try it again once my team has reached full fluidity. But there is another thing that confuses me because I never really achieve any high possession with a deep standing defensive line. If I don't put pressure on my opponents they will just pass the ball around the back and try to keep possession themselves. So I'm a bit confused that such a low d-line and closing down.

Well I'll give it another try when the fluidity is at full.

Which positions you think should be given free role & hold up ball

I'd suggest nobody would have hold up ball, unless you are using a Fernando Llronete, Drogba type of lone forward. Personally I've found great success in every player having a free role, this encourage everyone to receive and pass the ball. Can also be useful when combined with lose zonal marking and 'move into channels' wide play.

Been away from Fm in a serious manor for a while now, but tonight got back to grips with my Chelsea save after numerous failed attempts with new saves. Since I've been away from the team, they seem to have forgotten how to pass. Caught up with this thread, and impressed with the astonishing levels some have reached, most especially Bastian Schweinsteiger breaking the game!

So started from scratch with a black canvas, and have taken head of a couple of posts on team set-ups. At risk of this post becoming a 'look what I did post' I shall accompany the amendments that I made from previous systems.

6869779224_73893da2bd_c.jpg

Chelsea (Tactics_ Team Instructions) by TRichardsss, on Flickr

7015833577_26f83634b5_c.jpg

Chelsea v Bolton (Analysis_ Analysis) by TRichardsss, on Flickr

Creative Freedom; 2 notches (RB-MCR) 10 notches (MCL-ST)

Mentality; 0 (CB, DM, MCR) 9 (RB,LB,MCL-ST)

Passing Style; 0 (GK-CB, AMR/L, ST) 5 (R/LB, DMC, MCR/L)

Through Balls; None for defence, sometimes for everybody else

Everybody romaing

-David Luiz set to no tight marking, with his partner Chalobah marking Bolton's lone forward tightly. This seemed to free Luiz up somewhat, allowing to make a lot more passes than Chalobah.

-Previously I would have had the defensive line at the highest, to encourage heavy pressing and to encamp the opposition, but have toned this down and it has allowed my midfield more space to work with.

-Have increased the tempo following the post by Ben Carter, not too set on this just yet, but am open to experimentation. By my reckoning it should see my team look to get the ball forward more, so coupled with low time wasting it could inject some urgency into play.

McEachran's total in this game was the highest I can remember when playing a conventional 4-3-2-1, but still a shadow on the 256 seen further up the tread. Keen to reach that number, just so that I can break the ME :D

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply Cleon, in all honesty I am not setting out to win games in the usual manner I just have a fun little save of 10 or so games where I try and fine tune my shut up shop tactic which I use in my main saves usually the above tactic will be used after I have taken the lead or want to close the game out from around the 75th minute or so.

Its entire purpose is pass and keep possession with players taking the safest option and with no intent on scoring what so ever.

In the above game I had around 90% possession, against the likes of Spurs 69% possession ,Arsenal 80% and Man City 70%

It is working pretty well with my two other tactics currently in my Swansea City save 21games 3 goals in the league and no goals conceded in the qualifying stage of the Champions league

andrjam

Great stuff there! Regarding your players, what type of ppms have you got across them; I'm presuming that most of those players in that screenshot are regens, so have you made sure you train your players to play this way, and have been selective to who you bring in?

I'm currently managing Bilbao, and playing in a possession heavy way, and as you know Bilbao rely on the youth development of their success, so a focus on youth development is key. So from a early stage I have a rough idea of how that player may fit into my team in 4-5 years, so I will make sure I train them relevant ppms are learnt. For example, any center back coming through I would like them to gain a good level of composure, passing, a them to learn 'short simple passes' ect.

Hi all,

Club_Brugge_v_Barcelona_Analysis_Analysis.png

(Bigger version http://postimage.org/image/w9a8wlqjj/full/)

Barcelona_v_Club_Brugge_Analysis_Analysis.png

(Bigger Version http://postimage.org/image/6f0g6tqjj/full/)

I managed to try my tactic a bit more and I get pretty consistent results. Always 65%+ possession (generally 75%+) and 90%+ team average pass accuracy.

Barcelona_v_BATE_Analysis_Analysis_4.png

(Bigger Version http://postimage.org/image/bexwerw67/full/)

Salamanca_v_Barcelona_Analysis_Analysis_4.png

(Bigger Version http://postimage.org/image/o7m0ep7rz/full/)

Player Instructions

All players mentality 10

I tried this with Marseilles. Not getting anywhere near 700 never mind 900 but boy is it effective when the team gets used to it. I have only shipped 3 goals in 12 games and have beaten Bayern and Udinese in Champions league as well as 0-0 draws away to Lille and Lyon. Currently 15 games unbeaten with it. Good work ben

Just managed to smash 1100 completed passes, with a 4141 formation,

low defensive line , low tempo heavy closing down, narrow width and short passing

I managed to get 1136 passes a while back using a similar to your tactical outline

BarcelonavBATEAnalysis_Analysis.png

Wasn't the greatest tactic I created so I've evolved it a lot, but as a feat of passing I was happy

• 2 weeks later...

Someone could send some of those tactics that were able to give more than 1000 passes per game so I can test here?

Unfortunately my English is very weak, it can not understand what you guys write here. I would be much easier for me, the tactics may have to go hand in analyzing every detail.

Many thanks to anyone who can help me.

@ben carter There's a bug on your two first screenshots.On the first one, Ramsey made 3 passes and completed 254. And on the second one, Ramsey made 1 pass and completed 254 of them! However, I'm planning to try your settings as soon as I have time to play.

Archived