900+ passes is it possible on FM?

tuffers007 Very good efforts there; especially with a 4-4-2!

One thing I would bring up, especially as it's something I think many people misunderstand with a 4-4-2 is that the play should be focused down the wings, especially against 3 man midfields. Example being that in a 3 man midfield you should always have a spare man on for a pass, but with a 2 man midfield the chances are that the other center mid is being marked, meaning that the player with the ball can only really make a square pass to his winger or a return pass back to his center back. In a 4-4-2, you can make use of the full back, a very important player in any system. A full back is often seen to be the one player on the pitch without a direct opponent marking him, usually due to the reluctance of wingers tracking back - this has therefore seen the development of such attack minded full backs over the last 10/15 years of football - Cafu, R. Carlos, Dani Alves, Ashley Cole etc etc. Anyway I digress, by focusing the play down the wings, you should be looking to work your way up the pitch with the assistance of your central midfielders, not through your central midfielders.

This ties in with something I notice you have implemented, and something I've always made a priority when using a two man midfield - that their forward runs are restricted. The importance of dominating the central area of the pitch is key to any football game, and none more so when you are looking to dominate possession and come out with high passing stats, so the restriction of any forward runs from this area is very important - as either midfielder should have at least one pass on, even if he is marked slightly. Following on from this tactical theory, would be the importance of hard working central midfielders and a pairing in midfield. You cannot afford the luxury that you may be able to in a 4-2-3-1 of a midfielder that isn't going to put his fair share of work in, so a player like Darren Fletcher is key. Another think would be that, especially when looking for lots of passes, is that these two midfielders should probably both just look to keep the ball turning over. In real life, you will always see SAF play a midfield combination of a slightly more creative passer, and a workman like player; but if you are really looking to concentrate on ball retention through a 4-4-2, these two in midfield really do need to be Busquets eque. - just keep the ball moving, nothing fancy. Now, when you watch Man United, using this team as they are famous for the use of 442, Rooney will often drop deep into the midfield to become the playmaker when they have possession in the opponents half; but not when play is deeper in their own half. Therefore I'd make sure that at least one of my forwards does look to drop deep, and both of the two center midfielders mentalities a slightly lower, so they are not afforded the luxury of going on beyond said forward dropping in.

Bit of an essay, but hope you can find some insight from there.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

positions continued:

3z5rt.pngRStwh.pngmvn3x.png

please not that i have only put SS up for 1 of each position due to them being the same except for the strikers which are slightly different.

please help me increase the amount of possession and also players passing. it would be great to achieve what others have (if only i knew how)

i have also noticed when playing away that the possession stats drop considerably. is there any way to combat this?

with thanks

tuffers007

please help me increase the amount of possession and also players passing. it would be great to achieve what others have (if only i knew how)

Unless you really are looking at using a 4-4-2, I'd make the first suggestion of changing to incorporate a 3 man midfield - with probably the most favorable being DM,CM,CM or DM,DM,CM.

Looking at your very first SS, Moussa Sow only made 15 passes throughout the whole game. I'm pretty sure his name on the team sheet could be put too much better use somewhere else, namely in the midfield. Anyway, some solid work nonetheless.

One thing I would bring up, especially as it's something I think many people misunderstand with a 4-4-2 is that the play should be focused down the wings, especially against 3 man midfields. Example being that in a 3 man midfield you should always have a spare man on for a pass, but with a 2 man midfield the chances are that the other center mid is being marked, meaning that the player with the ball can only really make a square pass to his winger or a return pass back to his center back. In a 4-4-2, you can make use of the full back, a very important player in any system. A full back is often seen to be the one player on the pitch without a direct opponent marking him, usually due to the reluctance of wingers tracking back - this has therefore seen the development of such attack minded full backs over the last 10/15 years of football - Cafu, R. Carlos, Dani Alves, Ashley Cole etc etc. Anyway I digress, by focusing the play down the wings, you should be looking to work your way up the pitch with the assistance of your central midfielders, not through your central midfielders.

This ties in with something I notice you have implemented, and something I've always made a priority when using a two man midfield - that their forward runs are restricted. The importance of dominating the central area of the pitch is key to any football game, and none more so when you are looking to dominate possession and come out with high passing stats, so the restriction of any forward runs from this area is very important - as either midfielder should have at least one pass on, even if he is marked slightly. Following on from this tactical theory, would be the importance of hard working central midfielders and a pairing in midfield. You cannot afford the luxury that you may be able to in a 4-2-3-1 of a midfielder that isn't going to put his fair share of work in, so a player like Darren Fletcher is key. Another think would be that, especially when looking for lots of passes, is that these two midfielders should probably both just look to keep the ball turning over. In real life, you will always see SAF play a midfield combination of a slightly more creative passer, and a workman like player; but if you are really looking to concentrate on ball retention through a 4-4-2, these two in midfield really do need to be Busquets eque. - just keep the ball moving, nothing fancy. Now, when you watch Man United, using this team as they are famous for the use of 442, Rooney will often drop deep into the midfield to become the playmaker when they have possession in the opponents half; but not when play is deeper in their own half. Therefore I'd make sure that at least one of my forwards does look to drop deep, and both of the two center midfielders mentalities a slightly lower, so they are not afforded the luxury of going on beyond said forward dropping in.

cheers for the advice!! so if i make rooney (i play as man u) run from deep rarely will that make him drop deep as you mentioned? also what would i set his run with ball to? my two central mids are on just 1 click after defensive would it still be ok to lower there mentalilty? then would i have to lower my 2 CBs to accommodate them? sorry for all the questions, im still learning :lol:

cheers for the advice!! so if i make rooney (i play as man u) run from deep rarely will that make him drop deep as you mentioned? also what would i set his run with ball to? my two central mids are on just 1 click after defensive would it still be ok to lower there mentalilty? then would i have to lower my 2 CBs to accommodate them? sorry for all the questions, im still learning :lol:

For the Rooney role, I'd suggest run from deep rarely, with a low mentality, but a higher creative freedom, and no running with ball. Make sure that he has roaming on too. I think that the two central midfielders mentalities should okay from what you've said, just make sure that there aren't huge gaps in the collective mentality of the team through the individual settings. I've currently got all my team on the lowest mentality, and it's great for keeping the ball.

Edit; maybe no through balls for the two center mids, just to limit their risk of losing the ball.

after implementing your advice these are the results from my last two games. Chelsea at home then Bate away:

uGyyQ.pngOLNLP.pngfojM9.pngwyBEb.png

these are a real improvement on possession. my only query would be that with rooney dropping into the hole (if i did this properly) i thought he would be more involved but in the game against bate he only touched the ball 9 times??

looking at how my forwards are set up using above SS how would set the forwards up??

oh noticed that the amount of shots dropped considerably too against bate???

Very, very impressive stats there, especially against BATE! 4 players 100+ passing!

On Rooney, maybe it's a case that because the mentalities are all relatively low there isn't much interchanging of possession, with all the players staying within their given parameters. So perhaps putting Rooney in an amc position with a slightly higher than normal mentality, and regular forward runs. This would then put him in the position you want him to be in, and probably get him a lot more involved in the game.

Very, very impressive stats there, especially against BATE! 4 players 100+ passing!

On Rooney, maybe it's a case that because the mentalities are all relatively low there isn't much interchanging of possession, with all the players staying within their given parameters. So perhaps putting Rooney in an amc position with a slightly higher than normal mentality, and regular forward runs. This would then put him in the position you want him to be in, and probably get him a lot more involved in the game.

with your advice my team is playing some great possession based football ( see below- return leg against bate) but now it seems to have lost the edge. what i mean is that i dont seem to creating chances and when i do its for the wingers or CMs whereas before it was my forwards. now i understand that with possession football some attacking play is lost. but why are my forwards not doing what there paid to do? there must be a solution to this problem if you have any ideas???

uEN4X.pngKi19x.png

Still struggling to get over 50-60 passes. With Barca. Here's what I think are the key points, (from what I've gathered from you lot).

Passing - All the way to the left, individually

Tempo - All the way to the left

Time wasting - High

Creative Freedom - Very little (so they follow my short passing instructions)

Marking - Zonal (keep shape)

Width - Quite wide

Mentality - Standard/Defensive (less risky forward passes)

Closing down - Highest (to win the ball back soon as)

also..

All player roaming and move into channels.

As for formations I've tried strikerless

2-3-2-3 DC-DC--WBR-DMC-WBL--MC-MC-AMR-AMC-AML

3-2-3-2 DR-DC-DL--DM-DM--MR-MC-ML--AMC-AMC

to be more compact and have more passing options

and the standard (of last season) for Barca

4-1-2-2-1 DR-DC-DC-DL--DMC--MC-MC-AMR-AML-FC

and no joy PLEASE for the love of god if anyone can tell me where I'm going wrong and maybe help me out please do.

Think you've got the jist of it there. Although I've found that Time Wasting works much better, in my opinion, all the way to the left, combined with very slow tempo. This will have the affect of the team taking their team to build up the attack, but will see some 'zip' added to their passing. If you have high time wasting, your players will take longer than is necessary to make the pass, meaning it will be alot easier for the opposition to close you down, closing off passing options. I like to have very little time wasting so it has the opposite to what I've just said, the ball is moved around nice and quickly, keeping the opposition chasing, clocking up lots of passes, whilst still under the overall slow tempo that controls how quickly the ball is moved forward into the attack.

Width is again something that you shouldn't, in my opinion, have on either extremity. I like to have it usually on the first setting of 'narrow' - so effectively narrow/normal. But is generally a lot more down to the system you are playing, and other factors.

For formations, I'd suggest you go back to basics a bit more, and look to build around a variant of the classic 4-3-2-1. The best I've had is with DM-CM-CM, and DM-DM-CM. Something a little more abstract is a 3-3-3-1 - LB-CB-RB-DM-DM-DM-AM-AM-AM-ST. This works well because there is so many passing options available in the midfield, but is a bit more adavanced in so much as fine tuning player mentalies, and team width. I'd stick to a 4-3-2-1, with a three man midfield (no AM).

with your advice my team is playing some great possession based football ( see below- return leg against bate) but now it seems to have lost the edge. what i mean is that i dont seem to creating chances and when i do its for the wingers or CMs whereas before it was my forwards. now i understand that with possession football some attacking play is lost. but why are my forwards not doing what there paid to do? there must be a solution to this problem if you have any ideas???

uEN4X.pngKi19x.png

I think due to you playing a 4-4-2 and the necessity of focusing your play down the wings due to the 4-4-2, your naturally being allowed to play out there by your opposition. Because of the very nature of your set-up, and many others, your players mentalities, creative freedom and passing is very short or low - it needs to be; plus you have no crossing - again, not wrong per-say, but because of this, your players are just playing possession football out on the wings, and haven't the instructive directions to look for that killer ball, therefore it is so easy to defend against, although very effective in the passing stakes.

Therefore you may need to give a little more creation to you wide men, so they can try and create something for your forwards. Or alternatively, I'll direct you to using another setup. For example a 4-3-2-1, you would be able to play through the middle, so your passing play would be generally a lot more central, and easier for your players to find that creative spark that you can create chances from through the same tactical instructions that are given to them in your current 4-4-2 set up.

To summaries, the opposition are allowing your players to play between themselves in the flanks, and because they will always look for the safe ball to retain possession they are going to find it hard to create chances for your forwards. Again, this leaves your forwards isolated, being marked by the center backs, they are more often than not stood there watching your right back and right winger exchange countless one-twos with each other. Look at the pass analyses, and see how many passes are actually directing towards goal from your wide areas, or centrally from outside the box - almost none.

I find the 3-2-2-2-1 great for keeping possession. LB-RB-DC-DMC-DMC-MC-MC-AML-AMR-SC. I can easily get a player getting 100+ passes with just the use of the TC. I could get it more near 170+ if I used classic version but I don't see the point for how I play.

But what tom says above is true, you don't want to be too wide or too narrow and you want time wasting as low as possible.

I've found that even when I have't been intentionally looking to rack up the pass count I do accumulate high pass rates for players across the board when using a system of the RB-CB-LB etc. variant. The formation and positioning of the players offer the team so many natural passing options, so you should naturally see an even spread throughout the side of passing. Can be even more powerful when crafted for passing and possession, as I found with a 3-3-3-1 (3xDM, 3xAM).

Moved away from the pursuit of passing, to a pursuit of goals as the experimentation left my League campaign with Chelsea a little worse for where; but still linger around the thread nonetheless.

I've found that even when I have't been intentionally looking to rack up the pass count I do accumulate high pass rates for players across the board when using a system of the RB-CB-LB etc. variant. The formation and positioning of the players offer the team so many natural passing options, so you should naturally see an even spread throughout the side of passing. Can be even more powerful when crafted for passing and possession, as I found with a 3-3-3-1 (3xDM, 3xAM).

Moved away from the pursuit of passing, to a pursuit of goals as the experimentation left my League campaign with Chelsea a little worse for where; but still linger around the thread nonetheless.

It's weird to see a game where you have 89% of the possession, score 6 goals and only have players with 50 passes maximum majority of the time.

I agree; just beat a good Swansea side 4-1, finishing with around 70%+ possession, looked to the passing analyses to find that my top passer only managed 53 passes; when I'd previously managed to get the same guy 100+ in a single half! Shall try and concentrate my energies into how chances I'm creating instead of the anal pursuit of my playmaker making 150+ passes in a game. Not to disregard doing so anyway, I find it very fun to try and send the ME into a trance with the 2D ping pong some of the football creates; and gives another angle of game to pursue.

I agree; just beat a good Swansea side 4-1, finishing with around 70%+ possession, looked to the passing analyses to find that my top passer only managed 53 passes; when I'd previously managed to get the same guy 100+ in a single half! Shall try and concentrate my energies into how chances I'm creating instead of the anal pursuit of my playmaker making 150+ passes in a game. Not to disregard doing so anyway, I find it very fun to try and send the ME into a trance with the 2D ping pong some of the football creates; and gives another angle of game to pursue.

The end product is what counts.

But you'll be suprised I bet if you continue doing what you're doing now you'll often get a player making 100+ passes without you even reaising or trying to.

I think due to you playing a 4-4-2 and the necessity of focusing your play down the wings due to the 4-4-2, your naturally being allowed to play out there by your opposition. Because of the very nature of your set-up, and many others, your players mentalities, creative freedom and passing is very short or low - it needs to be; plus you have no crossing - again, not wrong per-say, but because of this, your players are just playing possession football out on the wings, and haven't the instructive directions to look for that killer ball, therefore it is so easy to defend against, although very effective in the passing stakes.

Therefore you may need to give a little more creation to you wide men, so they can try and create something for your forwards. Or alternatively, I'll direct you to using another setup. For example a 4-3-2-1, you would be able to play through the middle, so your passing play would be generally a lot more central, and easier for your players to find that creative spark that you can create chances from through the same tactical instructions that are given to them in your current 4-4-2 set up.

To summaries, the opposition are allowing your players to play between themselves in the flanks, and because they will always look for the safe ball to retain possession they are going to find it hard to create chances for your forwards. Again, this leaves your forwards isolated, being marked by the center backs, they are more often than not stood there watching your right back and right winger exchange countless one-twos with each other. Look at the pass analyses, and see how many passes are actually directing towards goal from your wide areas, or centrally from outside the box - almost none.

well i decided that i needed to change formation as i couldnt figure out how to get the passes further up the field so i changed to a 451 as i felt with 2 advanced wingers but with 3 central mids i this would be better to achieve without losing any stability at the back. i have noticed that using this formation that the passes seem to be spread out across the team instead of 1 individual which is great (but i do love to see the large numbers from 1 player) i have also tried to keep the forward away from the build up to try and increase the number of goals scored which i am finding quite difficult

i increased team mentality to try to push further up the field but to be honest i have no idea if this is a good idea or even if its worked?

7sPVf.pngj5RmB.png1lSu0.png

these are the SS from my last game against Rapid Bucharest. i know its only a few SS but if you spot where any improvements can be made

also forgot to add that i played a wide with passing focused down both flanks

with the next SS it shows some vast improvements with just a few extra clicks

the only things i changed was the tempo ( quick ) and time wasting to often. i know often might seem a bit extreme but my thinking was with a quick tempo it might restrict the actual time on the ball to combat any dilly daddling?? as you can see i won easily, i know its only ipswich but a win is a win!!

i added an extra SS to show that my shots were more or less in the oppositions penalty area.

BJSJh.pngyTWhJ.pnghQvDK.png

i still feel that i need to get my passes higher up the field but stuck as how to achieve this?? please discard the comment about passes spread out as you can clearly see how fletcher made ;)

these tactics in the place in which the player can play as a founding

im sorry, i dont understand the question??

re tactics: i play as man united and not used it with anyone else. the playmaker is the mcr and trgt man is the forward. i read somewhere that a possession based tactic can take a little longer for your team to learn. play around with time wasting and tempo and try to find the correct balance for your team. also with me being man united (4th season) i do have a good squad, not necessarily world class stars but very good passers of the ball. so this may be the reason for my statistics and not the tactic itself?????

if you manage to come up with a solution to your issues feel free to send me your tactic.

oh also team talks and match prep i leave to my assistant

hope you succeed :)

How many matches did it take you boys to achieve these, quite frankly incredible numbers of passes? And if after pre-season 7 matches, I'm only getting 40-50 out of my Xavi should I assume I'm doing it wrong? Or should I persist? Could tommonufc etc post their tactics so I can get in on the fun?!

How many matches did it take you boys to achieve these, quite frankly incredible numbers of passes? And if after pre-season 7 matches, I'm only getting 40-50 out of my Xavi should I assume I'm doing it wrong? Or should I persist? Could tommonufc etc post their tactics so I can get in on the fun?!

well i play as man united so i didnt take me long at all, a couple of games really but i did stop using it away as i kept drawing 0-0 or losing in the final minutes 1-0 etc so i thought that if i am going to keep conceding away from home i might as well play more attacking!!

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?go7f3fa2sepvadw

right mid is the playmaker

amazing tactic fair play mate I have totally abused this tactic and pilfered alot of ideas from it best tactic for fm12 in all honesty.

thankyou very much. but im not very good with tactics at all!!! i read a number of threads and posts and thats what i came up with. i continued to tweak the tactic and totally ruined it. possession was easy,what i couldnt figure out was to convert it in to goals. would be good to see your tactic

well i play as man united so i didnt take me long at all, a couple of games really but i did stop using it away as i kept drawing 0-0 or losing in the final minutes 1-0 etc so i thought that if i am going to keep conceding away from home i might as well play more attacking!!

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?go7f3fa2sepvadw

right mid is the playmaker

tested this in a pre-season friendly vs Boca (Tevez and company) with my Athletic team, passing stats and possession was hardly impressive (had about 54% and my cm's only made about 40 passes each)

I did crush them 6-0, thought

tested this in a pre-season friendly vs Boca (Tevez and company) with my Athletic team, passing stats and possession was hardly impressive (had about 54% and my cm's only made about 40 passes each)

I did crush them 6-0, thought

i read somewhere that possession tactics take longer to learn than others so keep at it. plus against big/strong teams (especially away from home) the possession % dropped but i still kept the majority.

just wish i could score more goals

I've lost my tactic I created with Wigan, after the hard drive on my Laptop died. :-(

I've tried to re-create a similar tactic with Burnley save on my PC.

Classic style again. (not because I think it works better etc. I just much prefer the classic style tactics, I don't like the TC tactics)

This time I'm using 1 holding midfielder (instead of 4-3-2-1) so we have a spare man for the centre backs to pass to if they are closed down by the AI.

4-1-2-2-1 formation: http://i.imgur.com/kz5Jg.jpg (yes, I have a small squad lol)

Team Instructions: http://i.imgur.com/5fQgJ.jpg

Most player instructions are the same/similar to the team instructions.

Apart from the front 3

Striker instructions: http://i.imgur.com/FR0vI.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/NYzZt.jpg

AML instructions: http://i.imgur.com/KksX4.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/GIBgM.jpg - http://i.imgur.com/fo3LV.jpg http://i.imgur.com/8Hjj1.jpg

AMR instructions: http://i.imgur.com/UgQFM.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/IsJ5t.jpg

My MCR is my playmaker, and I have 'hold up ball' ticked on my MCL.

Again, I want the passing to be tika taka style, nice short passes all over the pitch.. waiting for gaps to open up.

Sometimes we don't get as many passes than I did with the Wigan tactic, but the passes are always spread over the pitch... nice and easy on the eye.

zXfpQ.jpg

3cL2r.jpg

zlPzD.jpg

kQlSK.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/q9eXX.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/T6WH3.jpg

I've signed Leon Britton on loan from Swansea, just as a back up as I have a really small squad. (gone for quality over quanity)

And thus I have very few centre midfielders, and I lack a right back, so I'm playing a left back at right back.

Whenever I've played Britton in the playmaker role from the start, he's got well over 100 passes.

http://i.imgur.com/jmJ0i.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/chGq3.jpg cup game against Barnsley, passes after normal time (90 minutes)

I've lost my tactic I created with Wigan, after the hard drive on my Laptop died. :-(

Classic style again. (not because I think it works better etc. I just much prefer the classic style tactics, I don't like the TC tactics)

This time I'm using 1 holding midfielder (instead of 4-3-2-1) so we have a spare man for the centre backs to pass to if they are closed down by the AI.

4-1-2-2-1 formation: http://i.imgur.com/kz5Jg.jpg (yes, I have a small squad lol)

Apart from the front 3

http://i.imgur.com/GIBgM.jpg - http://i.imgur.com/fo3LV.jpg http://i.imgur.com/8Hjj1.jpg

Again, I want the passing to be tika taka style, nice short passes all over the pitch.. waiting for gaps to open up.

Sometimes we don't get as many passes than I did with the Wigan tactic, but the passes are always spread over the pitch... nice and easy on the eye.

zXfpQ.jpg

3cL2r.jpg

zlPzD.jpg

kQlSK.jpg

I've signed Leon Britton on loan from Swansea, just as a back up as I have a really small squad. (gone for quality over quanity)

And thus I have very few centre midfielders, and I lack a right back, so I'm playing a left back at right back.

Whenever I've played Britton in the playmaker role from the start, he's got well over 100 passes.

http://i.imgur.com/chGq3.jpg cup game against Barnsley, passes after normal time (90 minutes)

looks good my friend. i play the same formation but my team instructions are slightly different. i tried playing slow, narrow and through the middle to no avail. i got better results playing wide and quick with passing down both flanks. i think im going to lower time wasting see if it improves the goalscoring

Apart from the front 3

zXfpQ.jpg

3cL2r.jpg

zlPzD.jpg

kQlSK.jpg

on a side note mate, what skin is that?

Archived