Total Football: Tic-Tac Magick (The return: Part 2)

Which tactic do you prefer?  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Which tactic do you prefer?

• Original (17/01/2012)
    • Tweaked (23/01/2012)
    • New (26/01/2012)

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whenever someone says a tactic is not going to work with little teams is so much of a challenge!

So, how about Strathspey Thistle? Ive brought them through two straight promotions to SL 2. Now we have turned full-time I thought lets play a better style of play....

So I modified the filters to a lower level and started rebuilding. My final squad is on an annual salary spend of 468k a year (7th out of ten) and a net transfer spend of 48k (8th). We were odds on favourites for relegation and our average attendance is 371 (9th). So how are we doing. Challenge cup semi-finalists and after 9 games we are 4th. The problem is away where we have a 0-4-1 record. We are making more chances than anyone each game but we cant seem to put them away. and then get sucker-punched by the pull back cross.

Ill keep you posted but think with a bit of thinking this tactic will work with any team.

Scrap that now Challenge Finalists after beating Berwick 3-0 after extra time. If someone could tell me how to post screen shots without uploading to filefront Id do it :

7 clear cut chances to zero. Over 600 passes (RB Turner 91 passes, MC Birknes 86 passes) and an average 89% passes completed

@Aleynasdad Which tactic and filters are you using? Thanks

Im using the new tactic with the suggested filters on here but knocking the numbers down to 10 instead of 15 and raising them as and when. Now in January, 5 points clear in second but really struggling to score goals meaning we draw too many games.... still cant complain I suppose :)

Just a little update. In my ManUtd save I've just had the most succesfull season I've ever had in any FM game. I finished the season undefeated with only 4 draws, scored 129 goals, conceded 22, and won the quadruple. I played this tactic about 90% of the time, so I'm posting this here. I didn't buy any first team players, just a couple of young prospects and some very cheap (1-1.5 mil) backup players to avert any injury crisis. Furthermore, this transfer policy led to having a very harmonious squad, wich is the cornerstone of any succesfull team. The other two tactics I had in match preparation, and wich I used in some (very few) games, were VoduChaos 442 and TheBetterHalf's Into Oblivion Assymetric 4-2-3-1. Those two tactics I used exclusively when a team was really pressing me and my players couldn't get into their passing game, but I really only used them in very rare occasions, maybe 5-6 matches overall when I really needed to defend, hit them on the counter and exploit the opponent's high line.

I believe that watching the matches carefully and knowing how and when to rotate the squad and keep your players fresh and motivated is incredibly important. It is, in my opinion, much more important than the overatted team talks, wich, by the way, are very straighforward and simple to do. I also like to play mind tricks, attend all press conferences and try to pressure opposition managers and players, and it definitely pays off, but it still isn't as important as proper rotation and tactical awarness. So, here are the screenies.

1. Premier League

englishpremierdivisionot.th.png

2. Wayne Rooney (also won every personal award)

waynerooneyoverviewattr.th.png

3. My "usual" starting 11

manchesterunitedtactics.th.png

4. Trophies won

manutdhistorylandmarks.th.png

One last thing. I know managing ManUtd is easy. But my aim wasn't just to win, but to win as convincingly as possible and do so by playing the most aesthetically pleasing football possible. The next step of my project will be to build a world class team of home grown players. In the meantime, thanks for creating such a fun tactic.

Maximum size pitch, no OIs at all. Forgot to mention, I didn't use any set piece cheats either, just the default one from the tactic, to keep posession.

Cool. I have set my pitch size to minimum with another tactic I was using, too late to change it now :(

How did Hernández do for you? Did he score many?

I don't think he fits this tactic to be honest. The reason is that he really is a poacher, constantly trying to break the offside trap instead of droping deep and making use of the space between the defenders and your midfield. He needs and AMC/trequartista for support - he would be much better in a 442/4231. I used him as an impact substitute on the wings in a couple of games, he did ok-ish. But overall I used him almost exclusively with the other two tactics I mentioned, and mainly in games when I wanted to rest Rooney, league/fa cup, CL groups stage etc. He did end the season with 20 goals and 5 assists, but many of those were hat tricks against weak opposition. Berbatov was Rooney's main substitute and did quite well, scored 20 goals and also contributed 14 assists, almost all with Magick's tactic. He is getting older however so I think I'll try to sign Sunderland's Ji Dong-Won as a long term replacement.

This tactic really depends on having not just a good, but a world class striker that can play as a trequartista/deep lying forward, and unfortunately there aren't many players that fit that description.

This is so strange!

When watching this tactic, it almost feels like you are playing fifa or watching barca in real life. The passing and moving is ridiculous, the opposition just chase your shadows!

Tempted to try crags tweak on the striker with this tactic, but ill see what the goalscoring is like without it for the time being.

Using this with spain btw!

This is so strange!

When watching this tactic, it almost feels like you are playing fifa or watching barca in real life. The passing and moving is ridiculous, the opposition just chase your shadows!

Tempted to try crags tweak on the striker with this tactic, but ill see what the goalscoring is like without it for the time being.

Using this with spain btw!

What tweak on the striker?

I think his username is cragswfc ?! but i just call him crags cause i can never remember.

Anyway, he made a thread discussing a striker "exploit" (if you wish to call it that), where your striker runs onto through balls as a target man and can score 100+ goals a season.

Look in this forum for a thread called goals goals and more goals.

I think his username is cragswfc ?! but i just call him crags cause i can never remember.

Anyway, he made a thread discussing a striker "exploit" (if you wish to call it that), where your striker runs onto through balls as a target man and can score 100+ goals a season.

here it is http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/298835-goals-goals-goals-and-more-goals

Okay thanks. I won't be using that then as by the looks of it, it's a big exploit and really makes your ST score insanely unrealistic amounts of goals.

i tried this tweak in my last 2 games of the season. first game rooney bangs in a hat trick and also chico in the next game. season has finished but will test in the coming season, has i don't wanna lose chico :(

I guess he doesn't perform in this tactic then? That's a shame :( Have you tried him on the wings?

I think Im gonna use the new one for my 2nd season.

A question. Do I still use the same instructions as I did for the home and away that where in the original thread? Like increase the tempo to 9 or whatever if I cant break them down or time wasting to 3 if im looking for a goal before half time etc.?

Have to say that this seems to be the perfect home tactic. I'm playing as Rangers in the SPL so am expected to win all my home games but this does it with such ease - the amount of possession and CCC it creates is unreal. Some great football to watch and totally limits the opposition. Thanks for the tactic!

I'm using another tactic as my away tactic - Not sure what it is this year but I feel that it's a lot harder playing with the same tactic all the time. Also there seems to be a bigger emphasis on away matches being tougher.

One thing that I do is if I'm leading by a couple of goals in an away game then I switch to your tactic as it sees us keeping possesion and more often than not getting another goal or two!

Switched to this tactic recently and am loving the football and the change in fortunes for my Berwick Rangers side. I have downloaded the player filters and had a look at them but is there anywhere (maybe a previous thread) which describes what each position is doing? I mainly want this for the three man midfield but if it covers the whole team even better.

i.e. MCR - Playmaker. He will sit deep and look to play..... needs to be both creative, composed and strong... blah blah blah.

I would use the below as a rough guideline:

MCR: Deep Lying Playmaker - Support/Central Midfielder - Support

MC: Deep Lying Playmaker - Defend/Central Midfielder - Defend

MCL: Advanced Playmaker - Attack/Central Midfielder - Attack

Switched to this tactic recently and am loving the football and the change in fortunes for my Berwick Rangers side. I have downloaded the player filters and had a look at them but is there anywhere (maybe a previous thread) which describes what each position is doing? I mainly want this for the three man midfield but if it covers the whole team even better.

i.e. MCR - Playmaker. He will sit deep and look to play..... needs to be both creative, composed and strong... blah blah blah.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/259190-Total-Football-Tic-Tac-Magick?p=6612736&viewfull=1#post6612736

It's from my original thread and hasn't changed for FM12. :thup:

--------

Sorry guys, I haven't been on much. Work has been pretty hectic and I haven't had a free weekend for two weeks. I'm hoping this weekend will be free and I'm looking to tweak the tactic to make it more like that found in the EPL.

@cragswfc: I tried the tactic and liked it. I was having more success with the wide players set to Mixed Forward Runs.

@countfu@luka: I don't bother tweaking the Time Wasting or Tempo now. The higher Creative Freedom seems to get the players moving the ball quicker if they are being closed down heavily.

@Elhan: Good results :thup: Thanks for the feedback

@ MAGiCK - Could a player like Gameiro play successfully as a ST in this tactic? When the new patch comes out I'm gonna go PSG and I really want to use it this year but requiring a DLF type striker is putting me off from using it because they are hard to find. Last year it was ok because the ST had more poacher like instructions so I could use players like Bakambu/Kadlec.

Also, have you had a chance to look the filters yet? Sorry if I'm being a pest lol just let me know if I am! :p

@Gee

I haven't looked at his attributes yet - I'll have a look in a while and then come back.

I'll give a generic explanation though. See, the good thing about having the High Creative Freedom is the players will adapt the role to suit them. But, I've found they still use the core tactical instructions as a guideline. I'll try and explain comparing Hernandez and Messi - I took this tactic to Man Utd to see how they played with it. I've watched it so much with Barce that I know how they play in the game, but I wanted to compare it with how other players adapt the tactic to fit their game.

Messi

He always drops into the hole virtually becoming an attacking midfielder. From here, he turns and runs at the defence (chaos!) or he plays a through ball to one of the advancing wingers who are now cutting inside to become the 2nd and 3rd forwards.

Because he’s deep in the hole he will then run forward to get to the end of a cross. Depending on how deep we as a team are, he will either be receiving it on the edge of the area or in the penalty area. Alternatively, the inside forward will have a go at scoring.

Hernandez

He won’t drop deep into the hole, but he will hold his position in the attacking line and looks to receive the ball to feet. He then plays it to one of the wide men, who are about level with him, or maybe slightly ahead, due to Hernandez being higher up the pitch (doesn’t come deep to get ball). Hernandez is now out of his attacking position because the team has advanced up the pitch, so he then advances to get into his attacking position. This means there is an opportunity for 1/2s to develop between him and the wide men.

Both of these strikers can work well in the tactic, but they highlight how differently the tactic can play due to the high level of creative freedom. This is just for one position, so imagine the difference in all positions. This isn’t a bad thing, it just means the team will play slightly differently whilst keep the core fundamentals.

I’m thinking of creating a more generic version of this 4-3-3 which steps away from trying to emulate Barce and instead tries to create a more effective 4-3-3 for varied teams. It will still be based on possession football, but I want to try and maximise efficiency in all areas to create a true version of percentage football. The high levels of creative freedom will allow different teams to adapt to it, but the instructions won’t be so technically extreme or passing restrictive to restrict more player freedom.

Yeah, I think you’ve encourage me to start having a look at this. :p

so mcr - playmaker (like deep lying playmaker like xavi in barca)??

mc - defensive minded mc?

mcl - attacking minded mc (like iniesta in barca)?

? :)

that for magick final tactic 31.1.2012 im asking and is this best of these?

@ibro46: Yes to everything. :thup:

@ MAGiCK - How are things going regarding a generic version mate? Just curious as to where you at currently.

Cheers.

Since that weekend I haven't really played FM :(

But I'm trying to work on the theory of balance/equilibrium. In my mind, if you beat the statistics (shown in the Match Stats) then you'll win the majority of games.

Using the slider mechanics from post 2, a neutral/balanced position would be 8-11-14 for all Individual settings and 10/11 for the Global settings. But, I want to weight the sliders in order to "overpower" the statistics. So...

Mentality: Slightly more attacking (11-14-17)

Creative Freedom: Slightly more creative/expressive (11-14-17)

Passing: Slightly shorter (5-8-11)

Closing Down: Slightly more pressing (11-14-17)

Width: Slightly wider to open up space (14)

Tempo: Slightly slower to maintain possession (7)

Time Wasting: Slightly lower (7)

Defensive Line: Slightly higher to pressure opposition (14)

Then I'll have to look at individual instructions, i.e. forward runs, through balls, etc.

This is the priliminary stages of my thinking but I won't be doing anything for a while yet as work is busy. My ambition is to create percentage football. I also expect changes to the slider ranges I've mentioned above once I've began actually testing it.

Of course, the problem is the variables we can't control, i.e. weather, opposition, injuries, etc. But by dominating the stats we can minimise the effects of the variables and therefore minimise the variance.

That's my plan anyways :p

i'm gonna try this with AS Roma. You think that can work?

Midfield with pjanic, de rossi and pizarro (playmaker)

Wings: Bojan (retraining) and Lamela/Osvaldo

Striker: Totti or Bojan/Boriello

I'm using the player filters but still i find it hard to find the right players for it. Tips?

@ibro46: Yes to everything.

Since that weekend I haven't really played FM :(

But I'm trying to work on the theory of balance/equilibrium. In my mind, if you beat the statistics (shown in the Match Stats) then you'll win the majority of games.

Using the slider mechanics from post 2, a neutral/balanced position would be 8-11-14 for all Individual settings and 10/11 for the Global settings. But, I want to weight the sliders in order to "overpower" the statistics. So...

Mentality: Slightly more attacking (11-14-17)

Creative Freedom: Slightly more creative/expressive (11-14-17)

Passing: Slightly shorter (5-8-11)

Closing Down: Slightly more pressing (11-14-17)

Width: Slightly wider to open up space (14)

Tempo: Slightly slower to maintain possession (7)

Time Wasting: Slightly lower (7)

Defensive Line: Slightly higher to pressure opposition (14)

Then I'll have to look at individual instructions, i.e. forward runs, through balls, etc.

This is the priliminary stages of my thinking but I won't be doing anything for a while yet as work is busy. My ambition is to create percentage football. I also expect changes to the slider ranges I've mentioned above once I've began actually testing it.

Of course, the problem is the variables we can't control, i.e. weather, opposition, injuries, etc. But by dominating the stats we can minimise the effects of the variables and therefore minimise the variance.

That's my plan anyways :p

No problem mate, no rush. Just glad to hear you are going ahead with it :thup:

i'm gonna try this with AS Roma. You think that can work?

Midfield with pjanic, de rossi and pizarro (playmaker)

Wings: Bojan (retraining) and Lamela/Osvaldo

Striker: Totti or Bojan/Boriello

I'm using the player filters but still i find it hard to find the right players for it. Tips?

Those filters were for last year's tactic so I'm not sure if they still apply? I think MAGiCK was gonna have a look at them to see if they needed changing :thup: This might be a silly question but what size of pitch do you use, MAGiCK? Large I presume?

This is still my favourite tactic of the lot for me. Don't get me wrong there are tactics at will see your team winning 5 - 0 every game, but this tactic is a joy to watch and with the right players gets results.

Any word the updated search filter?

This is still my favourite tactic of the lot for me. Don't get me wrong there are tactics at will see your team winning 5 - 0 every game, but this tactic is a joy to watch and with the right players gets results.

Any word the updated search filter?

It's something I keep asking MAGiCK! :lol: Hopefully he has a look at them soon? :thup:

Archived