Total Football: Tic-Tac Magick (The return: Part 2)

Which tactic do you prefer?  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Which tactic do you prefer?

• Original (17/01/2012)
    • Tweaked (23/01/2012)
    • New (26/01/2012)

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to say im finding this tactic immensely frustrating. I've taken over as Arsenal manager in 2017 and decided to give this tactic a go as it looked like it would suit the squad i have. We seem to dominate possession but score relatively few goals and concede a few too many.

I have to say im finding this tactic immensely frustrating. I've taken over as Arsenal manager in 2017 and decided to give this tactic a go as it looked like it would suit the squad i have. We seem to dominate possession but score relatively few goals and concede a few too many.

If you could post a screenie of your team perhaps we could come up with some ideas.

If you could post a screenie of your team perhaps we could come up with some ideas.

My save has decided to start crash dumping so hopefully i can get it sorted and post some stuff about my team.

I've started a new save with Bayern Munich so i'll see how that goes. My concerncs with Bayern are that Gomez is not the correct type of striker and that if i play Kroos as playmaker (MCR) Schweinsteiger is not the correct type of player as MCL (Gustavo is my defensive MC).

Schweinsteiger would do great as the playmaker imo. On 2011 using Barkermush's tweak I had Joey Barton playing as the playermaker, won the league first season ;)

Yeah Schweiny would be great as PM but i i'd have to Kroos as the MCL and i think he's even more suited to PM than Schweiny. Basically i think they're both PM's and neither are perfect for MCL.

I haven't seen Barkermush's tweak so i'll check that out now.

I started a new game with United with this on the new patch and won the treble and lost in the League cup final on penaltys to city.

It was a weird season though the team really struggled for goals at times and espically after Rooney broke his leg. There was one stage where I drew 4 league games in a row including a 0-0 draw at home to 9 man bolton!!

I remember playing barca in the quarters and bossing the first leg and not scoring then bossing the 2nd leg having 4 clear cut chances and not scoring. Took a Carrick goal in extra time.

Can't argue with what I won but it seemed a like I wasn't scoring as much as I should have and killing games given my dominance in them.

Unfortunately now im going to have to start it all over again with United after getting that run time error. After doing everything they suggested to do I still cant get the game save working and a different game save still works so the file must be corrupted or something. Or it might be that I have it on a large database.

Also does anyone has the name of a good Wing Foward for a decent price for this formation? I'd love to buy someone like Neymar but SI seem to believe santos will only leave him go for Ronaldo money (cue 30 million move to barca) Also a decent priced playmaker. I used Eirken there and he had a good season but I couldn't help feel he was more suited to the mcl position.

Also does anyone has the name of a good Wing Foward for a decent price for this formation? I'd love to buy someone like Neymar but SI seem to believe santos will only leave him go for Ronaldo money (cue 30 million move to barca) Also a decent priced playmaker. I used Eirken there and he had a good season but I couldn't help feel he was more suited to the mcl position.

Hamsik, Gervinho and Perisic have done very well for me.

I forgot to mention a minor tweak I am using. For the AML/R set the crossing to sometimes/byline/near post and for the FBs to sometimes/deep/far post. It will just give them an extra option for times when crossing is obviously the best option. It happens rarely, so it won't really change anything in terms of possesion, it will just add some extra options and unpredictability wich in turn will give you a few more goals.

Also, some general thoughts on the striker. In my opinion, the most important attributes are Finishing, Flair, Decisions and Composure. "Comes deep to get ball" is a must, "plays one twos" and "tries though balls often" are useful as well. "moves into channels", "tries to break the offside trap", "shoots long" should be avoided at all costs as they don't benefit the general attacking play at all. You want the striker to drop deep and stay central. Rooney has been fantastic in this role and I have also had great success with Ji Dong-Won after I tought him the proper PPMs. I cannot stress how important PPMs are, in my opinion they are even more important than attributes for this position (within reason of course).

Finally, about the wingers. I've noticed that "striker" types do much better here than playmakers or traditional wingers. Apart from the attributes already mentioned in other posts, they need to have decent Off the ball and Finishing to exploit the gaps that the striker creates for them by droping deep and dragging defenders out of position (much like Villa does). I've heard some people complain about a lack of goals, but in my experience that is mostly down to the fact that this tactic requires very, very specific types of players for the front three positions, players that are difficult to find and even more difficult to buy.

I forgot to mention a minor tweak I am using. For the AML/R set the crossing to sometimes/byline/near post and for the FBs to sometimes/deep/far post. It will just give them an extra option for times when crossing is obviously the best option. It happens rarely, so it won't really change anything in terms of possesion, it will just add some extra options and unpredictability wich in turn will give you a few more goals.

Also, some general thoughts on the striker. In my opinion, the most important attributes are Finishing, Flair, Decisions and Composure. "Comes deep to get ball" is a must, "plays one twos" and "tries though balls often" are useful as well. "moves into channels", "tries to break the offside trap", "shoots long" should be avoided at all costs as they don't benefit the general attacking play at all. You want the striker to drop deep and stay central. Rooney has been fantastic in this role and I have also had great success with Ji Dong-Won after I tought him the proper PPMs. I cannot stress how important PPMs are, in my opinion they are even more important than attributes for this position (within reason of course).

Finally, about the wingers. I've noticed that "striker" types do much better here than playmakers or traditional wingers. Apart from the attributes already mentioned in other posts, they need to have decent Off the ball and Finishing to exploit the gaps that the striker creates for them by droping deep and dragging defenders out of position (much like Villa does). I've heard some people complain about a lack of goals, but in my experience that is mostly down to the fact that this tactic requires very, very specific types of players for the front three positions, players that are difficult to find and even more difficult to buy.

Most of what you say puts me off from using this tactic :(

Hopefully MAGiCK's generic version will suit more teams.

Yep

I remember on Fm 11 where I had great success with this (Domestic treble with United first season, then quadrupole, then everything) I always made sure I had at least two strikers playing.

When I started I used Rooney on the left the Berb in the middle and Nani on the wing and then bought Hulk in January and played Nani, Rooney, Hulk.

Reminds me of when someone said to Trapatonni why he doesn't start playing a 4-3-3 or something like that with Ireland and he said for that to work you need wingers who can score regularly.

That's about it.

However it's quite hard to find the required players for a decent price in the game.

Been asking for filters for a while but I think MAGiCK has been busy.

I've decided to try and create my own tactics now though so hopefully that goes ok :)

cool i thouht that day would never come lol

I've played this tactic with Swansea in their first season in the prem. On the new patch Swanseas players are considerably improved (rightfully so after a brilliant first season in the prem so far). I would say its not been too consistent. I'm using Magicks FINAL tactic. Away from home we normally lose and we often do not take chances we get. The possession is usually better than the other team but not as dominant as I expected. It could be down to my weaker players and Swansea being a relegation bound team. I have finished 12th which I was pretty pleased with. Overall I like this tactic as I achieved what I hoped but I think it is probably best suited to teams with great players.

first off the tactic is really good but has anyone else had the comment "not keen on their style of play" from other AI managers in the game? i have had this a few times now just wondered whether anyone else has had it aswell.

I've played this tactic with Swansea in their first season in the prem. On the new patch Swanseas players are considerably improved (rightfully so after a brilliant first season in the prem so far). I would say its not been too consistent. I'm using Magicks FINAL tactic. Away from home we normally lose and we often do not take chances we get. The possession is usually better than the other team but not as dominant as I expected. It could be down to my weaker players and Swansea being a relegation bound team. I have finished 12th which I was pretty pleased with. Overall I like this tactic as I achieved what I hoped but I think it is probably best suited to teams with great players.

I'm Swansea also bought Jenssen for 1 mil and he has been fantastic in the playmaker position, but whilst I creat alot of chances I rarely convert. Saying that I am currently top of the league in mid November. Alot of my results are 1-0 though and whilst I dominate possesion I do scrape games with last ditch challenges and poor conversion.

first off the tactic is really good but has anyone else had the comment "not keen on their style of play" from other AI managers in the game? i have had this a few times now just wondered whether anyone else has had it aswell.

It's usually bitter comments from other managers about "trying to walk the ball into the net" it means nothing. As long as the results are good and the fans are happy I never really care what other managers say :)

Most of what you say puts me off from using this tactic :(

Hopefully MAGiCK's generic version will suit more teams.

I have not had the same experience as Elhan. I've used this tactic, or ones a lot like it, and I find that I can get away with any type of striker - Cardozo did well for me, as did Carlton Cole in the Championship. It suits quick strikers better though.

And while Elhan is right to a degree about the wide attackers you dont have to have striker types out there. DeBruyne does well, as did Matty Taylor - thye may not drive in to score as many themselves, but they do create chances well.

You can always tweak the settings of the attacking players and fullbacks to suit the strengths of your players.

This tactic is defensively solid, plays good possession football that is nice to watch and produces good chances. It may not get you 6-0 wins, but it will regularly get you 2-0 and 3-1 scorelines. I love it.

i'd like to begin with noting that i'm a devoted fan of Magick's a.k.a Real Madrid_2007's style of play and tactics.And since it's a 4-2-3-1 madness i know Magick is open to and encourages new tweaks or even formations,i'll take a step forward and make a recomendation.

but first i'll have to ask all of u if the me has or hasn't changed from fm11.

well,if it hasn't i think there is a solution to the never-ending complaints about how the tac. is superflowing and a joy to watch but sometimes lacks a little in the goalscoring department.

but it's a different formation which is a flat 4-4-2 with almost exactly the same philosophy and just a diff. form.and if u have pacey defenders. it's solid on def. but scores way more in the off.

now i'd like to share it here but i haven't played fm12 yet cause i'm obsessed with my fm11 career thanx to Tic-Tac Magick!!!

And i can't open Fm11 for the last 2 day due to a lack of memory (RAM i guess). so i won't be able to share it here yet.but it's just the formation and little tweaks.so

if anybody wants to try i think i can even write it down...

Big FAN of the Magick philosophy,and i think it's the best in FM tacs.

Thanx...

@zinedremomeri: I remember your 4-4-2 version on FM11 - definitely more chances created in attack and is more adaptable for teams, as it doesn't rely on highly technical inside forwards.

The main differences from FM11 is the increased closing down and increased creative freedom. I think slight changes have been made to the Tempo, but I can't remember. It's been so long since I've been able to have a decent run on FM.

Looking forward to a 4-4-2 variation. :thup:

What sucess have people had with this tactic on the most recent patch?

i haven't used it much lately has i am trying out other tactics available on the forum. But to be honest none of them come close to the football you see in this one.

the front 3 are the key to scoring goals but defensively it is sound.

i haven't used it much lately has i am trying out other tactics available on the forum. But to be honest none of them come close to the football you see in this one.

the front 3 are the key to scoring goals but defensively it is sound.

Could you be more specfic? :) Did you win the league or something like that? What team did you use it with?

zinedremomeri got me thinking about a 4-4-2. I'm currently testing a version on a Man Utd save - the football's nice, but I'm waiting to see if it lasts and if it needs any tweaks.

i think it would need some tweaks.i've been playing for somehting like 15 seasons now with 3 diff. teams with amazing results.i've finished 1 season with 160 goals.

The only problem with mine is that it's benn played with FM11 ONLY.

i'm gonna put here the one in FM11.if u still have it on ur comp. u can look it up.

i'd like to her what u think about it..

ooppss.. hold on i'll get it right...

http://www.gamefront.com/files/21536919/4-4-2-flat-zndrmrm-v.1.tac

REMEMBER THIS FOR FM11...

SO IF ANY OF U GUYS STILL HAVE FM11 COULD MAYBE CONVERT IT TO FM12 AND PUT IT HERE..'D BE MUCH APPRECIATED...

THANX...

Some reminders..the playmaker is MCL.That's because my primary scorer is lefty.And PM and he plays on the same side..So u can change it according to ur fitting..

The other striker is the more creative playmaking type..

Other than that mostly MAGICK's philosophy rules...

it's a flat 4-4-2 of course

MAGIK; are your 4-2-3-1's full done?

I want to start a new save and become a journeyman; therefore jumping from club-to-club... Therefore I need a good tactic to use. Obvously I'm not looking for a 100% tactic; however I do want something that can push my team above expectations.... :)

Archived