Players Retiring after injuries [Merged]

It's extremely odd! Had a great 13/14 season, breaks ankle for 2 months in october 2014 and decides to call it a day at the end of the season despite having a contact until 2016? Cmon...

Look at Vidic' injury history. In that save he has injured his ankle on many occasions prior to breaking it. If I had my 4th or 5th ankle injury in 2-3 years, I might decide to quit at 33 as well!

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do we have another case of SI "overmedicating" an existing issue and ending up creating another, equally annoying one?

For reference, this is Messi's injury history in my 11.3 save, from age 36 to 38 (when he was already rotting in my Barça B squad for approx 12k p/w)

messiinj.jpg

So he missed FORTY WEEKS in two years due to injury, yet he's still there.. who knows if he'll come back after that broken leg too (as per Nov 9th, there's no retirement date set for him in FMRTE)

In FM10-11 it was all too common having old stars sticking around WAAY too long, refusing to call it a day and still getting played by starstruck AI managers...

We complained and now we're getting players retiring left and right at a relatively early age....

So if in FM11 C.Ronaldo and Messi were still winning Golden Balls and Boots at age 35, by that age in FM12 they'll be long retired, probably having surrended to a stubbed toe or to a gashed leg... ;)

Look at Vidic' injury history. In that save he has injured his ankle on many occasions prior to breaking it. If I had my 4th or 5th ankle injury in 2-3 years, I might decide to quit at 33 as well!

Check out post #186, the screenshot of his injury history is there for everyone to see. Never broke an ankle before or had any major injuries that would rule him out for more than 2 months. Stop trying to find excuses for this huge bug!

Check out post #186, the screenshot of his injury history is there for everyone to see. Never broke an ankle before or had any major injuries that would rule him out for more than 2 months. Stop trying to find excuses for this huge bug!

1. 2 months is quite a while for ankle issues.

2. he'll be 33 1/2 when he retires, which is pretty old if you're having ankle problems. especially for athletes with any amount of size. myself being 6'4" i know far too well how easily ankles and knees can give you problems that are hard to overcome.

Players in real life only retire if they have a terrible injury history. I can't think of one player that has suffered a leg break and retired just to that one injury. Players like Dean Ashton and Sam Hutchinson had awful injuries histories that may have stemmed from a single serious one - but they did try to make multiple comebacks before deciding on retirement. Evra wouldn't suffer a four-month injury and decide to retire, but he might suffer a four month injury, then break down again on his comeback, be out for another 2 months, then only last another three games once he returns again before another injury strikes. Then it would be appropriate and a lot more realistic to retire.

Players like Rodallega retiring relatively early (31/32) just for the sake of it has been happening since FM10, and isn't really that big of a deal imo. But retiring due to injuries, like the De Guzman and Suarez examples here is totally unrealistic, and potentially a game destroyer. I'm not sure how anyone can deny there is a problem here - and saying 'it's only 10 people out of the hundreds of thousands who play the game' is totally wrong, you how to put it in proportion with how many people are likely to have visited and bothered to post in this thread.

1. 2 months is quite a while for ankle issues.

2. he'll be 33 1/2 when he retires, which is pretty old if you're having ankle problems. especially for athletes with any amount of size. myself being 6'4" i know far too well how easily ankles and knees can give you problems that are hard to overcome.

It was almost two years since his last ankle injury, and none of them were major, only twists and a sprain. And don't you think its strange he will be available to play for another 6-7 months before he retires and has a contract until 2016?

I know its nothing special if a player retires at 33 following several injuries, but not a player of Vidic standard and reputation. Just check his ratings for the previous season. Then think Rio Ferdinand...or Jonathan Woodgate...

If it isn't a bug, and I'm sure it is, the game should atleast tell me that Vidic decided to retire following constant ankle problems or that his ankle can't take it anymore.

I'm really happy that players can retire early. It's nice touch. I wish more of these random things.

Yup, the new feature is nice. However it's clearly bugged as visible in Vidic case (I'm giving him as an example because he's above 30, don't really like the guy as it may seem lol).

Maybe SI hasn't considered that pro footballers try to stay in the business as long as possible because their future job(s) probably won't pay as good.

They don't quit one year before their contract ends, specially not if in life form just prior to the injury that's not even that bad. Think about it.

• 2 weeks later...

Evra retired. If it wasn't for the fact he was retiring (meaning I'd rather have the younger Fabio/Rafael getting game time and improving), he'd have played pretty much the entire back half of the season as he came back and performed fine off the bench or slotting in for suspensions.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

People say retiring early is 'real' and show examples. Yeah, it's 'real', but is it fair? Is it fair that you groom a player into your team, only for him to retire due to hidden statistics that you can't even see?

The main aim of FM is to be real, sure, but common sense has to prevail and this retiring due to injury feature should be something that only happens very rarely, combining many stats. For example, if a team had Philipp Degen (1 Natural Fitness, probably has 20 for injury proneness), and he had a few injuries on the bounce and retires, then I'd be pretty accepting because his visible stat - Natural Fitness - is poor, whilst he also has a real life reputation for being made of biscuit. For me, if the signs are there (Natural Fitness, Determination) and a player receives a literal career ending injury, i.e. a double leg break, a bad spine/neck injury or a bad knee injury, then yeah, I'd accept it, but players retiring mid-season, then coming back to play once they recover, is absolutely farcical.

People say retiring early is 'real' and show examples. Yeah, it's 'real', but is it fair? Is it fair that you groom a player into your team, only for him to retire due to hidden statistics that you can't even see?

The main aim of FM is to be real, sure, but common sense has to prevail and this retiring due to injury feature should be something that only happens very rarely, combining many stats. For example, if a team had Philipp Degen (1 Natural Fitness, probably has 20 for injury proneness), and he had a few injuries on the bounce and retires, then I'd be pretty accepting because his visible stat - Natural Fitness - is poor, whilst he also has a real life reputation for being made of biscuit. For me, if the signs are there (Natural Fitness, Determination) and a player receives a literal career ending injury, i.e. a double leg break, a bad spine/neck injury or a bad knee injury, then yeah, I'd accept it, but players retiring mid-season, then coming back to play once they recover, is absolutely farcical.

Maybe some of this will help:

- Fixed cases of a player deciding to retire due to injury at the end of the season but still coming back and playing rest of the season after recovering from injury

- Adjusted the injury related retirements to make high earning players more likely to fight back from serious injuries

- Adjusted the impact of very long injuries on abilities of older players so they won't decline too much

Change-list here: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/291671-Merry-Christmas-from-Sports-Interactive-–-Announcing-Update-12.1.0-for-FM2012

Archived