Crazy Canuck on Global Managerial Tour - This is the Big (FM12) One!!!

rancer890

Congrats on a successful season,better performance in the State Championship and promotion....well done :D

Cheers B.W.G. It was quite a shock and it didn't really sink in till we clinched promotion. :D

Now hopefully we don't get relegation from Serie A. We haven't beaten most Serie A sides yet in the State Championships.

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thats quite a surprisingly good season.

I'm surprised too! :D

Congrats rancer hopefully you will stay up, you might need to give barney some tips ;)

Cheers, and I'll try my best to give barney a hand. :D

I'll tip my hat off to you sir, I struggled with injuries and all round bad play. But I didn't get relegated. Bring on the next season.

I didn't struggle as much with injuries as I struggled more with bookings....just keep progressing mate because the team can get back to Serie A.

Just read thru this, gratz Rancer on back-to-back promotions. Looks like you have the tactics sussed so i am predicting good things in the top flight!!

Cheers greg! My tactics aren't perfect by any stretch, but for now they get the job done...

My tactic is a 4-3-1-2 with 3 CMs and 1 AMC. Fluid Philosphy with Control strategy as I prefer a possession based game. I give my players a chance to express themselves on the pitch and also very aggressive and a pressing game, because I want the ball, so sometimes we do get a lot of bookings sometimes. We get burned when we face better opposition but hopefully as we get better with the talent we have we can avoid losing a lot of games in the top flight.

2013 Season Preview - E.C Santo André - Campeonato Brasileiro Série A

Logo_ecsa.png

December 3, 2012

The board have announced that the paperwork has been completed and the club now own the stadium.

December 19, 2012

Rumours are circulating around Brazil and Russia that EC Santo André manager Ricky Nakano is being courted by Russian Premier League club Locomotiv Moscow after former manager Miron Markevych was sacked. Officials at the club and Mr. Nakano have refused to comment on the rumours. Locomotiv Moscow have been one of the pre-season favourites to win the league but are only 7th, 16 points off leaders Rubin Kazan.

December 30, 2012

More rumours of Ricky Nakano to Russia are resurfacing again. This time it's Terek Grozny. Once again, Nakano has refused to comment on the rumours.

2013 Season Preview - E.C Santo André - Campeonato Brasileiro Série B

Logo_ecsa.png

January 2, 2014

Season Expectations

Media Prediction - 19th (out of 20)

Série A Expectations - Avoid Relegation

Campeonato Paulistao Série A1 Expectations - Reach Quarter-Final

Série A TV Rights - $11 milllion

Paulistão TV Rights - $1.1 million

Transfer Budget - $1.66 million

Wage Budget - $4.5 million (currently spending $3,742,918)

Sponsorships

• New 1 year main kit sponsorship deal worth $1.1 million (previous deal - $972k)
  • Total annual amount is $2.18 million

News

• Flamengo are still our parent club even though we're in the same division, so I'll continue to try and loan some players from them.

(looks identical to the 2014 update because I accidentally saved over the 2013 Season Expectations).

Nice work with back to back promotions! :thup: Unexpected and very impressive! How do you rate your chances of survival next season?

I have no idea tbh :D. For this year I will try and not totally be reliant on loans but we'll see how the season goes...good news is that I can still try and get some players from Flamengo to help us avoid relegation.

Great back to back promotions! Looking at that Brazilian league, it looks more convoluted thatn my time in Argentina's.

Cheers cerud! And having managed in so many different leagues around the world, nothing really is too complex for me. Well, except for Brazilian tactics. :D

Back-to-back promotions :thup:

One good thing I found with Brazil is that you get the chance to test out your squad a bit in the State Championships. If you can hold your own with some of the Serie A teams there, then you'll have half a chance of staying up. If they pummel you, then at least you've still got a bit of time to sort things out before the league campaign start. Anyway, good luck for next season :)

Dammit, you're so much better than me! Started my own journeyman (unemp/ sunday league rep) as well and got picked up by Santo Andre as well. Came in halfway the season. First season failed to get promotion by 1 point, which was extremely frustrating. Then finishing 11th in the State Championships, which was reasonable, including a very nice 1-1 draw away at Santos. Currently playing the playoffs of the Serie C and with 1 win, 2 draws and 1 loss on the edge of getting sacked, since the board wants me to pick up the title :( Guess I'll have to look for another challenge!

Here's my final squad:

GK: Juan Ojeda

DL: Andre Luiz (Love him!)

CB: Jonas

CB: Luccas Claro

DR: Alemao

DM: Baraka

DM: Walker

AML: Hirochi

AMC: Ricardo Goulart

AMR: Elias Oliveira

ST: Leo Itaperuna

Subs f.e.: Rivaldo (the legend!!), Mika, Nilson, Renato, Everton Heleno

Cheers AK22, Tyrone, and Shroom!

Keep it up Tyrone, everyone's different but the original squad is definitely capable to getting promoted. Hopefully you can finish the season strong and get to Serie B.

Since we didn't have much money, it's important that my free signings really help me get to where I want to be. Weverton has been fantastic and he's only 25.

Meanwhile....

June 18, 2013

Russian Premier League club Spartak Nalchik have offered EC Santo André a 3 year contract worth an estimated $300k per year to manage in Russia. He has also been promised a $700k transfer budget as well as a $7.5 million wage budget, which is $3 million more than at his current club. However, various sources have confirmed that Nakano has in fact rejected the contract offer, citing a reluctance to leave Brazil at the current time, stating he is very comfortable managing with EC Santo André.

-------

No brainer imo. The big TV revenue means we make monthly profit (!!!) and this team is only going to get better as we (the club) become more financially secure. And there are much better clubs than Spartak Nalchik in Russia alone (as well as my desire to manage in MLS).

2013 Season Review - E.C Santo André - Campeonato Petrobras Brasileiro da Série A

Logo_ecsa.png

Campeonato Paulistao Standings | Fixtures | Past Positions - Fantastic run in the 2nd half of the State Championships meant that we finished in a very strong 5th position. Unfortunately, we lost a very entertaining game in the Quarter-Finals against Palmeiras.

Série A Standings | Fixtures 1 | Fixtures 2 | Past Positions - A great season overall, and we managed to avoid relegation with a couple games to spare. Highlights of the season include decisive victories over Corinthians and league champions Gremio.

Copa do Brasil - As usual, we exit the competition at the second round, this time to Golas on penalties.

Transfers - We made several transfers to strengthen the squad. And some worked out while others didn't.

Fabiano - He was healthy the whole season and played in all the league excluding the ones he was suspended for. Lethal from the air as well with 8 goals

Wendel - I loaned him back for another 2 seasons and compared to last season he really improved a lot

Jorbison - On loan from parent club Flamengo, he was a starter for the whole season and was a steady contributor

Claude Ngassam - Signed on a free, he has a bright future and had a fantastic season with the U23's/U20's.

Mauricio - he had a solid season with 9 goals after coming back home from Tolima in Colombia, where he average a goal every other game in 2 seasons (30 goals, 12 assists in 59 league games).

Rogério - another player signed from Colombia, this time from Millonarios, where he scored 32 goals in 54 league games. Unfortunately, he only scored twice while mostly coming off the bench and he won't be coming back next season.

Aristide Koffi - an injury crisis at striker meant I started Koffi in his first league game. Unfortunately that game he tore his calf muscle and missed the rest of the season.

José Ortigoza - I made the 26 year old the highest paid player on the team (and with a Match Highest Earner clause, he will be the highest paid player in the future too) but only managed 3 goals and 5 assists in 18 games. Hopefully a full season with him will help him settle.

Squad - This is definitely a squad that needs to be improved for next season.

Team MVP - Luisinho Paulista - my leading scorer, and all 12 of his goals were important ones!

Overview | Facilities | Finances | Affiliations

Goals:

- Finish in the top 13 next season to qualify for at least the Copa Sudamericana

- Home field advantage in the State Championships (top 4 finish)

- Spend some money! Because this squad can't last through another season if there aren't enough improvements.

Other:

- We need better players on permanent contracts. We have to improve the entire squad if we want to get to where we want to be

- I have one year left on my contract. I don't want to sign a new one in January as I want to take a wait and see approach to see if this squad can improve. If not, I will leave Brazil in 2015. Hopefully there's an opening at a MLS club.

Summary

Year Team Country League Position Notes and Info Attendance
2011 EC Santo André Brazil Série C 1st Promotion 2,599
2012 EC Santo André Brazil Série B 3rd Promotion 3,228
2013 EC Santo André Brazil Série A 15th N/A 5,437

2014 Season Preview - E.C Santo André - Campeonato Brasileiro Série B

Logo_ecsa.png

January 2, 2014

Season Expectations

Media Prediction - 18th (out of 20)

Série A Expectations - Avoid Relegation

Campeonato Paulistao Série A1 Expectations - Reach Quarter-Final

Série A TV Rights - $10 milllion

Paulistão TV Rights - $1.1 million

Transfer Budget - $1.66 million

Wage Budget - $5.75 million (currently spending $3,742,918)

Sponsorships

• New 1 year main kit sponsorship deal worth $1.1 million (previous deal - $972k)
  • Total annual amount is $2.18 million

News

• Flamengo are still our parent club even though we're in the same division, so I'll continue to try and loan some players from them.

Cheers Adeliadean and iseemonsters :)

I'm not too sure about finding the players that will make or break my season. I don't think I'm in a position to splash a lot of money on a very good player yet. I'm just taking baby steps and just strengthening the depth of the squad because I know we are going to need the extra bodies. The most annoying part is the max of 3 foreigners in the starting squad so I need a predominately Brazilian team.

But the good news is that I realized that former Portuguese colonies (like Angola and Mozambique) can get Brazilian citizenship after 1 year! So I will aim to sign a few of them if they're good enough. :D

Mine what continue past 30th june 2012 just keeps freezing during processing :/ so annoying

Unlucky mate maybe try holidaying or retiring past the date and reinserting a new manager. I avoided the xml files for this one precisely because of the high probability of crash dumps.

Well I replayed the game and got a draw so it's not the end of the world...we're 3rd atm with 3 games to go and I would love to stay there (atm it's Palmeiras, Santos, Santo Andre, Corinthians, Sao Paulo as top 5) so I don't have to play one of the 'Big Four' in the Quarter-Finals.

April 16, 2014

Manager Ricky Nakano resigns from EC Santo André

SANTO ANDRÉ - The rumours that were circulating the past few hours are now true. Ricky Nakano has officially stepped down as manager of EC Santo André. In a short statement, Chairman Celso Luiz de Almeida pleaded with Nakano to stay with the club to help push the club to greater heights but several sources have confirmed that Nakano cited a preference to be closer to his hometown in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

He had recently guided the club to a 4th place finish in the State Championships, losing to Sao Paulo in the Quarter-Final 3-2.

April 24, 2014

Several sources have told ESPN Soccernet that former head coach of Brazilian club EC Santo André, Ricky Nakano, who guided the club from third-tier Serie C to top flight Serie A, have been in discussion with D.C United and the Philadelphia Union about their head coaching vacancies. John Spencer (Portland), are Robin Fraser (Chivas USA) also reported on the hot seat.

Ive tried holidaying :/ Im in second season and dont want to retire cus the first season rep i earned would be down the pan :/ Ive posted a comment in the techinal forum and hope they can help me sort it out :/

Holidaying and retiring your current manager are usually the two ways to bypass a certain date. Hopefully you can still continue on with your save. :thup:

April 16, 2014

Manager Ricky Nakano resigns from EC Santo André

SANTO ANDRÉ - The rumours that were circulating the past few hours are now true. Ricky Nakano has officially stepped down as manager of EC Santo André. In a short statement, Chairman Celso Luiz de Almeida pleaded with Nakano to stay with the club to help push the club to greater heights but several sources have confirmed that Nakano cited a preference to be closer to his hometown in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

He had recently guided the club to a 4th place finish in the State Championships, losing to Sao Paulo in the Quarter-Final 3-2.

April 24, 2014

Several sources have told ESPN Soccernet that former head coach of Brazilian club EC Santo André, Ricky Nakano, who guided the club from third-tier Serie C to top flight Serie A, have been in discussion with D.C United and the Philadelphia Union about their head coaching vacancies. John Spencer (Portland), are Robin Fraser (Chivas USA) also reported on the hot seat.

Ooooh - unexpected and exciting! Would love to see you at DC United since they're my MLS club (picked arbitrarily when I moved to the US since Michigan doesn't have a team). :thup:

2014 Season - D.C. United - Major League Soccer

DCUnited.png

Washington DC - Chairman Will Chang has announced that the new Head Coach of the club going forward will be Ricky Nakano, who managed in Brazil for three and a half seasons with EC Santo André, helping the club to consecutive promotions from Serie C to Serie A. Nakano has signed a 3 year contract to lead the club.

In the press conference, Nakano is said to be delighted to take over from former Head Coach Dominic Kinnear. "I'm really excited to become the next head coach of DC United. The club has been struggling to start the season but the season is very young so hopefully we can turn this around. I know the team has a passionate fan base from DC as well as across Maryland and Virginia who want to celebrate another MLS Championship.

I know that residents have a strong connection with our professional sports teams in the area, with the Capitals, Redskins, Nationals, and Wizards, and hopefully with our success on the pitch we can get them to like and support DC United soccer."

---------

Money Info:

• My contract: A 3 year contract worth $68,000 per annum
  • Allocation Funds: $450,000
  • Salary Cap Budget: $4.7 million
  • Current Player Wage Total: $5.78 million

---------

The irony in all this is the fact I dislike every single DC based team except the Caps, and that's only because of Ovie. :D

Ooooh - unexpected and exciting! Would love to see you at DC United since they're my MLS club (picked arbitrarily when I moved to the US since Michigan doesn't have a team). :thup:

You got your wish. ;)

You're weird :p

and a very good manager,excellent career so far

You're not the only one to think that around here. :lol:

MLS is my domestic league so I might as well support it! I haven't managed in MLS in a journeyman save since FM10 with RBNY.

2014 Season - D.C. United - Major League Soccer

DCUnited.png

...now the hardwork begins! Kinnear got sacked (ahem, fired! :D) for a reason, because DC United are dead last in the Eastern Conference (and the league)! According the team report, there are some positives. Bill Hamid, the eventual heir to the #1 shirt on the USMNT, is still only 23 and very talented. Former RBNY,TFC, Colorado Rapids, and San Jose defender Marvell Wynne is a very reliable player. We also have a couple young offensive players in Eric Johnson (2012 Superdraft #2 overall pick, but already playing on his 4th MLS team!) and Héctor Orozco (2014 Superdraft #4 overall by DC United) who can hopefully develop into very good MLS players. Our one and only Designated Player is Brazilian Eduardo Ratinho, who I can hopefully get rid of solely because of budget reasons and he's definitely not worth it.

In a short few sentences, what I think about the team:

The Good:

• We have a very solid defense and one of the top 'keepers in the league
  • A couple young attacking options

The Bad:

• Ratinho definitely isn't worth his salary
  • Dan Gargan - hopefully the FM version is a tad more consistent than the RL one with TFC

The Ugly:

• We're going to try to play Total Football like TFC. Hopefully with different results though.

And we don't have our own 1st Round pick! So hopefully we move as far up the table as possible.

If I didn't think my wife would laugh at me, I'd put my DC United baseball cap on right now in honour of the occasion! :p

Put it on when she's not looking. :D

Ofcourse. :thup:

Are there still no relegation/promotion? That's really been my big gripe with MLS...

No relegation/promotion. And IMO I don't think there ever will because the top execs are too afraid that it's too untraditional in terms of American based sports.

Holidaying and retiring your current manager are usually the two ways to bypass a certain date. Hopefully you can still continue on with your save. :thup:

Luckily Its fixed now so I can continue my story 'The Road To Continental Dominance' but I left it processing over night and luckily it processed in the end but it took more than a couple of hours for some strange reason but I hope you do well with DC United Rancer.

Out of the frying pan and into the fire eh? ;) You did well to last 3 years in Brazil...surprised it took you that long before heading home to the US! ;) I'm also surprised it isn't Toronto that you've taken over? With your save being another globe trotting adventure does this mean that you won't be making a stop at Toronto now you've played in the MLS?

Cheers guys. :)

Out of the frying pan and into the fire eh? ;) You did well to last 3 years in Brazil...surprised it took you that long before heading home to the US! ;) I'm also surprised it isn't Toronto that you've taken over? With your save being another globe trotting adventure does this mean that you won't be making a stop at Toronto now you've played in the MLS?

I could have left the season before but it didn't feel right leaving Santo Andre in their first season in the top flight. I think the team is more stable and signed some future transfers for them before I left as well.

I was open to pretty much any team in MLS. It was important for me to just be back managing in the MLS. Of course I had preferences but I would have went to any of the 18 MLS teams.

It's highly unlikely I'll be managing another MLS team in this save unless DC sacks me (or I leave for another country and come back).

2014 World Cup US Men's National Team Squad

US_Soccer_logo.svg

DENVER - The highly anticipated US Men's National Team final squad that has announced by Jurgen Klinsmann and the following players will be donning the Stars and Stripes shirt to Brazil.

Goalkeepers: Brad Guzan (Aston Villa, England), Stefan Frei (Toronto FC, Canada), Bill Hamid (DC United, USA)

Defenders: Timothy Chandler (Nurnberg, Germany), Omar Gonzalez (LA Galaxy, USA), Sean Franklin (APOEL, Cyprus), Edgar Castillo (America (MEX)), Lider Marmol (Barnsley, England), A.J. DeLaGarza (Roda JC, Holland), Jonathon Spector (Birmingham, England), A.J. Soares (LA Galaxy, USA), Gale Agbossoumonde (Omonoia, Cyprus), Jonathon Bornstein (Tigres, Mexico)

Midfielders: Andy Najar (San Jose, USA), Michael Bradley (Napoli, Italy), Alejandro Bedoya (Swansea, Wales), Brek Shea (Rangers, Scotland), DaMarcus Beasley (Puebla, Mexico), Jose Torres (Tigres, Mexico), Stuart Holden (Bolton, England)

Forwards: Jozy Altidore (AZ, Holland), Landon Donovan (FC Bayern Munich, Germany), Isaac Acuna (America (MEX))

----------

SORTITOUTSI, no Timmy Howard? He's better than Guzan/Frei/Hamid and only 35...Clint Dempsey however, seriously regressed after being out for 5 months with knee tendonitis. And Bornstein... :D

USA are in Group G with Serbia, Ivory Coast, and Australia so IMO they should advance. Mexico and Jamaica are the other two nations representing CONCACAF.

Archived