unforgiveable mistake in the new patch!

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • SI Staff

There seems to be a lot of misinformation going on in this thread, so to give a little bit of backstory first....

There have been discussions going on between the relevant coders, testers and the head researcher in Turkey since October regarding Turkish league finances, which are very different to other leagues. We have been doing our best to sort out the issues so that all are happy, but any small tweak can make a massive different.

One of these tweaks has caused things to go too far the wrong way for a couple of clubs.

The issue was not moved to "high priority" by our test team until the 14th Feb, which was AFTER the patch had gone live, so our code team will not have known about it til then. I cannot tell when the latest issue was added in by the Turkish researcher, as he hasn't followed the date and time guidelines for bug reporting, so there is no date or time of when he posted for me to see.

We are looking at the issue, and the coder is making new tweaks, and will do more tests specific to this league. If there is a re-issue of the patch (and no firm decision has been made on this yet) and if the issue is easily fixed, then it will be as part of that.

We apologise to the legitimate customers who are affected by this, and we do try and get everything right, but sometimes things slip through the net. With a game with the size and scope of FM, something always will, unfortunately.

Some people on this thread have estimated about thousands, then tens of thousands of people in Turkey who are affected by this, and that figure is way off the mark. There may well be that many people in Turkey playing the game, but genuine sales there are tiny, making up about 0.1% of global sales. That doesn't mean bugs in that league are any less important, or that we won't try and fix them, but to suggest that we sell thousands there is not accurate in the slightest.

Miles i wouldnt worry most people wouldnt believe numbers without proof, and its good of you to try and ease peoples concerns.

However theres plenty of threads around here full of differing problems, and i wanted to know if you were in a position to say if there will be another patch.

My main greivance is the time taken. When i play FM; i play it hard so the niggling problems have wound me up so much i havnt played the game i paid £30 for in October. Im not saying its your fault (i choose not to play it when others have) but i wont be pre ordering FM again, wheras i have done every year previously.

ok well thanks for the reply, there are lots of games on the market released by big companys full of problems who barely speak to their communities or offer patches, and i think some fans of FM forget that.

We can be grateful for what we have got, but i urge for a 'cleaner' release to FM09 - but im sure theres lots of things us mere mortals dont know about that you have to do.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mitja:

is this problem evident only on 8.0.2 or on every other database? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same question.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mattyspurs76:

who cares??? i mean, who plays the turkish leagues? i sure as hell dont! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ridiculous statement

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Miles Jacobson:

There seems to be a lot of misinformation going on in this thread, so to give a little bit of backstory first....

There have been discussions going on between the relevant coders, testers and the head researcher in Turkey since October regarding Turkish league finances, which are very different to other leagues. We have been doing our best to sort out the issues so that all are happy, but any small tweak can make a massive different.

One of these tweaks has caused things to go too far the wrong way for a couple of clubs.

The issue was not moved to "high priority" by our test team until the 14th Feb, which was AFTER the patch had gone live, so our code team will not have known about it til then. I cannot tell when the latest issue was added in by the Turkish researcher, as he hasn't followed the date and time guidelines for bug reporting, so there is no date or time of when he posted for me to see.

We are looking at the issue, and the coder is making new tweaks, and will do more tests specific to this league. If there is a re-issue of the patch (and no firm decision has been made on this yet) and if the issue is easily fixed, then it will be as part of that.

We apologise to the legitimate customers who are affected by this, and we do try and get everything right, but sometimes things slip through the net. With a game with the size and scope of FM, something always will, unfortunately.

Some people on this thread have estimated about thousands, then tens of thousands of people in Turkey who are affected by this, and that figure is way off the mark. There may well be that many people in Turkey playing the game, but genuine sales there are tiny, making up about 0.1% of global sales. That doesn't mean bugs in that league are any less important, or that we won't try and fix them, but to suggest that we sell thousands there is not accurate in the slightest. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

fair enough....but maybe it is time to re-evaluate the scope of the game. start dropping off leagues and nations that can not be researched properly and start putting more effort into popular leagues.

some player stats and club finances are just crapola. not sure who is researching these but they are obviously on a different plane of existence.

shrink the size of the leagues available and get the popular ones right. might just make the game better for all

• SI Staff

Nostromo - but what you think is a popular league but be a league that someone else doesn't play. For every league that gets dropped, someone will be unhappy.

I don't have any problem with the level of research for the leagues in the game - we have the worlds largest, and best, football database, and we're incredibly proud of that.

If you think you have found data issues, then the data bugs forum is the place to post.

As the starter of this thread, I'd like to thanks Miles for the insight - and also as the one mentioning "thousands being affected", let me clarify what I meant. Turkey has a population of 75M, 60-65% of the country supports either Fenerbahce or Galatasaray. I have absolutely no idea about the sales and I am not surprised to hear that it makes only 0.1% of the global sales - yet I am sure that two-thirds of Turkish FM owners start their games with either of these two clubs, so that's how I came up with my statement of "thousands being affected".

About the deadline issue, I take Miles' word. It sounds quite Turkish (icon_smile.gif ) to pass the deadline for reporting bugs and the testers may easily have done so. Hope it won't repeat in the future.

I still hope SI will come up with something to fix this. They know the extent of the problem but for others who want to help: the problem is with the coding so the editor doesn't fix it.

And finally about Nostromo's message: If you count Turkish league as an unpopular one, than you know squat about football. Obviously it is not comparable to England, Italy, Spain, etc but many would agree that both financially and in terms of game-quality, it would top leagues like Romania, Belgium, Greece, Russia and these leagues are not unimportant ones. But, if you meant SI should ignore leagues like Faroe Islands, Slovenia, Moldova, etc. (with all due respect to players from such countries), I still think it is not a good idea - because each country has its own research squad and testers - the key point is to choose the right people for these positions.

Anyway, I hope we'll be hearing good news soon. I still think the mistake is quite unlike SI and am still ****ed off, but starting to feel better!

not saying 'drop turkey' but you did mention that the turkish customer base represents only 0.1% of global sales.

from the sound of things, someone somewhere along the line stuffed up the data on that. maybe if you dropped that, you would have had more time to pay more attention to EPL. may have been able to avoid the porstmouth/defoe issue then.

as far as i am concerned, im not overly fussed as i only play EPL...although, I'd love the chance to play swaziland first division.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">fair enough....but maybe it is time to re-evaluate the scope of the game. start dropping off leagues and nations that can not be researched properly and start putting more effort into popular leagues.

some player stats and club finances are just crapola. not sure who is researching these but they are obviously on a different plane of existence.

shrink the size of the leagues available and get the popular ones right. might just make the game better for all </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">fair enough....but maybe it is time to re-evaluate the scope of the game. start dropping off leagues and nations that can not be researched properly and start putting more effort into popular leagues.

shrink the size of the leagues available and get the popular ones right. might just make the game better for all </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">And finally about Nostromo's message: If you count Turkish league as an unpopular one, than you know squat about football. Obviously it is not comparable to England, Italy, Spain, etc but many would agree that both financially and in terms of game-quality, it would top leagues like Romania, Belgium, Greece, Russia and these leagues are not unimportant ones. But, if you meant SI should ignore leagues like Faroe Islands, Slovenia, Moldova, etc. (with all due respect to players from such countries), I still think it is not a good idea - because each country has its own research squad and testers - the key point is to choose the right people for these positions. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

obviously reading is not your strong point. where did i say 'drop turkey'? stop being paranoid.

turkey is great...especially when its wrapped in pita bread with salad

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nostromo:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">positions. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

obviously reading is not your strong point. where did i say 'drop turkey'? stop being paranoid.

turkey is great...especially when its wrapped in pita bread with salad </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I said "if"!

Guest Yasko the third

My question is, what happenes if we increase "avarage ticket price" in the db for those three clubs, would it help?

Or, use a save game editor and increase the balance of those clubs every year with 20 million €, could that be a solution?

I just dont want to make their stadium 100.000 like the main researcher is saying, its just silly.. icon_rolleyes.gif

A cunning plan inspired by Jermain Defoe:

edit a player a send him to some obsure team in the botswanaian local division or something like that, the key point is he gets registered games and isnt very good so he wont draw undue attention from big(er)clubs, then set his previous club as Galatasary or fenerbache, and a fee of Euro 500k for every appearence up until 300or some rediculous number. thus you break even for long enough to hopefully sort your squad out.

two wrongs could make a right?

This is cheating but the only way which i can think of where u can play without go bank rupt is a make a new user as barcelona or shaktar of the ukranian league or a rich club and just spend all their transfer budget on a crap and youth fenerbache player. Then You will have more money and stay around for a bit longer. Sorry if its no help.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Miles Jacobson:

Some people on this thread have estimated about thousands, then tens of thousands of people in Turkey who are affected by this, and that figure is way off the mark. There may well be that many people in Turkey playing the game, but genuine sales there are tiny, making up about 0.1% of global sales. That doesn't mean bugs in that league are any less important, or that we won't try and fix them, but to suggest that we sell thousands there is not accurate in the slightest. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

First of all, thank you Miles for your reply in this thread. I believe you are working hard to fix this problem as any other problems. And I hope you can fix this in a re-issue of the patch, or maybe in a 3rd patch 8.0.3. It´s up to you, but you never know, maybe you suprises us with a Easter present this time, like 8.0.2 was for Valentines Day icon_wink.gif

I see that many fixes have been made for the turkish leagues in 8.0.2 and this makes me very happy. Thank you very much icon14.gif After many years, finally the turkish leagues got to a really good level with 8.0.2. So it is sad that this one problem destroys pretty much everything and makes the leagues unplayable.

About the sales issue. I know that the sales is not so good in Turkey, which is really sad because I think there is a huge market for a game like this there. Pretty much everyone is crazy about football in Turkey and every person has something to say about their own team, players, tactics, manager and so. So with that in mind you could think that the sales of FM is very good in Turkey. Unfortunately it is not, most because of the prices. They are to high for the turkish customers. So by making changes in price settings for the game in Turkey, or maybe try with Digital Download sales, which I think would be cheaper also, you could easily increase the sales. I think you could work this problem out wtih the turkish HRs and increase the sales a lot for FM 2009. icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NickFrier:

A cunning plan inspired by Jermain Defoe:

edit a player a send him to some obsure team in the botswanaian local division or something like that, the key point is he gets registered games and isnt very good so he wont draw undue attention from big(er)clubs, then set his previous club as Galatasary or fenerbache, and a fee of Euro 500k for every appearence up until 300or some rediculous number. thus you break even for long enough to hopefully sort your squad out.

two wrongs could make a right? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's exactly what I am doing now, selling my reserve players to Japanese and Arabic clubs after editing the teams and the players with the editor. It is cheating but I can't think of anything else right now. Maybe I will use an in-game-editor programme such as FMM once the latest version is released. Either way, I wish I did not have to resort to such measures.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by fgu82:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nostromo:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">positions. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

turkey is great...especially when its wrapped in pita bread with salad </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I said "if"! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you just wanted to hurt my feelings by saying that i know stuff all about football. im distressed. apologise!!! icon_wink.gif

Krondor - I'd love to know the global sales data (per country in % or units) of every game ever released. Unfortunately, that information is private and condifential, so would never be released by anyone.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wait a minute, the sales data from respective countries do not necessarily tell the whole story. I am a Romanian living is US and I only play the Romanian league since it was included in CM. Still, I buy the game online from an English vendor and ship it to US. Obviously, the number will not appear in the sales for Romanians. And I am sure that there are many others like me. In particular Turkish fans you probably have never met one if you think that the English people are more passionate about the game.

So, I suggest you think twice before eliminating leagues from the game.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I am sure that there are many others like me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

at least another 7 billion. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I do apologize for my English, as I stated before I am not a native speaker. So perhaps I was not clear.

I did not mean to imply with my statement that I am a human been but that I am a human been of a certain nationality playing FM in a different country and that like me there must be others. There are about 2 million Romanians that emigrated since 1990 and living abroad, most very young.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by David Hirst:

Will the teams be affected if you don't have the Turkish League running? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think so since I think clubs in leagues that aren't running don't actually have finances.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fire Bracelet:

What the hell is a Galatsaray? Sounds like a club mascot or something? Oh well, I hope the Turkish people get their game fixed, they have been having the worst time ( I read the bug forums). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's one of those Turkish clubs with a hard to pronounce name.

it must be moved to''high priority'' now for sure, because it will affect the champions league itself in the long term right?

and ı would really like to know that whether there will be a new patch?

hopefully it will..

thank you for your dealing the issue..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ifllorescu:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I am sure that there are many others like me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

at least another 7 billion. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I do apologize for my English, as I stated before I am not a native speaker. So perhaps I was not clear.

I did not mean to imply with my statement that I am a human been but that I am a human been of a certain nationality playing FM in a different country and that like me there must be others. There are about 2 million Romanians that emigrated since 1990 and living abroad, most very young. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

sorry...i was just being funny. your english is better than mine.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fire Bracelet:

What the hell is a Galatsaray? Sounds like a club mascot or something? Oh well, I hope the Turkish people get their game fixed, they have been having the worst time ( I read the bug forums). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They won the Euro Cup in 2000 by beating Arsenal in the final. Come on!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by fgu82:

They won the Euro Cup in 2000 by beating Arsenal in the final. Come on! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

8 years is a long time.

Galatasaray is your godfather, so i suggest you to respect.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lunarstrain:

Galatasaray is your godfather, so i suggest you to respect. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, that´s right icon_wink.gif

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/8549/koreocj3.png From the UEFA Cup match few days ago against Leverkusen icon_biggrin.gif

I was just glad to see that the foreign player rule is correctly done in this patch for the turkish league, but now here we have a much worse error, literally stopping us from playing this league. Thankfully, a friend warned me about this just at the right time between me downloading the patch and installing it. I suggest for turkish gamers to keep playing the older version, as the current suggested workaround of increasing the stadium capacities and average attendances is just very unrealistic and irritating. But I am acutally thankful to SI for at least trying to correct the finances for the other turkish teams and correcting the foreign player rule, these kinds of mistakes happen, unfortunately. We would be glad to see a solution to it though.

First of all learn how to spell the name of the team properly Galatasaray. And if you don't know Galatasaray than you must be 12 years-old and living outside of Europe, most likely Antartica icon_smile.gif

Couple of things:

-I am not Turkish,nor i have even been in Turkey or speak Turkish, but i play Turkish leagues in O6, 07 and 08. Reasons are that is challenging and different , plus i refuse to play any ridiculously overpowered English leagues , until you fix it down to realistic levels.

- Turkey has a huge community in Western Europe(Germany , Belgium, etc..), but your sale numbers can't present that. So i do believe that players affected are much higher then 0.1%

This is just info , not criticism or such, and thank you

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">- Turkey has a huge community in Western Europe(Germany , Belgium, etc..), but your sale numbers can't present that. So i do believe that players affected are much higher then 0.1%

This is just info , not criticism or such, and thank you </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The whole "numbers" issue is irelevant, all issues of this nature get treated with the same importance.

This is a really unfortunate one and I hope it can be resolved quickly, I play in even more obscure leagues than the Turkish one and I'd be just as fed up if it happened in one of those.

I am not computer-illiterate, but thinking of possible (and 100% effective) solution methods to this particular problem is way over my level of knowledge. Can someone from SI give a bit of explanation? It is a coding problem as far as we're told? So, how can it be fixed? An extra file to be put in the database maybe? Or does it need a completely new patch (or mini-patch?). Or any other possible workarounds?

• SI Staff

mlp071 - sure, there are Turkish people in other countries. The game isn't for sale in Germany though, so that's one out of the equation. The user I was responding to was claiming that he thought that we sold 15,000 - 20,000 copies of the game in Turkey, whereas the reality is that we sell a tiny fraction of that amount to legitimate users there.

As Kriss has pointed out, the issue would be looked at anyway with just as much importance as anything else.

Hello Mr Miles,

I m writing from Turkey and I started playing this game from the very very early versions.And I m very happy with the progress the programmers achieved. I realy love this game. There is no need to give a "political correct" answer about the fault in the turkish league database due to mistakes of researches...or something...(which you didn't give)Of course it is about the sales.You are right about people in turkey not buying original games.I hope it will change in the future...Well I guess football is a universal think not only a sport it is also a business,but what I like to see is realistic football manager game rather than database. Keep up the goodwork

best regards...

Archived