The 2011-2012 Manchester United thread - We've got our trophy back

BBB

• Replies 15.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is a blog about playing Man Utd the other night from AJ Soares who plays for New England Revolution:

Hello. I am sitting in my rat-ridden studio looking at the Manchester United jersey I traded for after last night’s game at Gillette Stadium. The red top is perfectly tailored for a footballer and the velvet feel of the name and numbers on the back speaks class. I swapped shirts with Dimitar Berbatov, co-winner of the Golden Boot in last year’s English Premier League. Surely he does not care much for the Soares jersey, but at least I went one on one against him and did not look stupid.

I previously mentioned my two perspectives going into the game, and the game blew away my expectations. As a fan, I knew that I would be excited to see the superstars enter the field for warm-ups and I had to fight the urge to cheer when they finally arrived. Seeing Ryan Giggs, Michael Owen, and Wayne Rooney among the others was unbelievable. The way that they play and entertain all in the stadium affirms why they are paid the way they are, and why Old Trafford sells out on a regular basis. The club has an aura that shadows everything around. The amount of superstar players would compare to Ocean’s Eleven times three.

The game also lived up to all of my personal hype from a player perspective. The first thing that I noticed when across the field during warm-ups was the size of the players. Many of them were tall and even the short ones were very fit and strong. Maybe it was the design of the fitted Nike shirts, but every player looked like they had come fresh from the gym and been on the Patriots weightlifting routine. The style of play was great to experience as well. They allowed us to pass the ball and keep some possession, but when they got it, they kept it. I noticed that the Manchester United players always chose the best pass and executed it in the best way. That is why they are the best in the world, save for a few Spaniards. Finally, the finishing touch in the box is second to none when it comes to the English champions. When there is any opportunity, there is a goal.

After the lights and what feels like a hangover this morning from the excitement of the game, I am thrilled to have been a part of such a great event. I have to give a special shout-out to the fans from the game. I was pleasantly surprised at the amount of Revolution fans and the way that they cheered for us all game. As always, the die-hards did their excellent part and I thank them for that. The experience was once in a lifetime for all of us at Gillette Stadium and let us all take the energy from the event and roll right into the second half of the MLS season. Go Revs!

http://articles.boston.com/2011-07-14/sports/29774092_1_dimitar-berbatov-wayne-rooney-nike-shirts

Wow, look at the training ground changing rooms at Seattle Sounders! (tweeted by Owen)

http://yfrog.com/ke8lywj

Judging by the amount of spaces I'm going to take a guess at the stadium being used for NFL games as well so not going to be very surprised it's enormous :D

Oh, and yes to Rooney in midfield if we can keep the team properly balanced while doing so

Apparently Fletcher's not been training as he's got the virus again. New CM definitely in then.

That's awful news if true. Deffo be needing some form of cover in CM, can't rely on Carrick / Anderson. I don't particularly rate either of them very highly.

Hopefully Fletch can shake it by January at the latest, then fergie can make a new signing in January too! ;)

This is going to sound ridiculous, but something I've pondered over for a while and think it may make a nice debate.

Would it be effective putting Rooney in the midfield role, should we not sign anybody? He certainly has the energy and danger when going forwards, but he's always naturally defended more for us than he really should do.

I mean we're pretty top heavy with the amount of choice we have up front. I can't be the only one who has considered this?

At first thought it sounds stupid, and probably is, but IMO he has the right characteristics for midfield, and we sure could use his passing ability there more than we can when he's further up the field.

I'll prepare to be smashed.

As Jamos said, it's been raised in here before. Plus, he's virtually been playing in an advanced midfield position the second half of last season anyway, certainly in terms of the playmaking lockpicker that we appear to be in the market for. Which is why some of us are unsure that Sneijder would be the best fit.

Bit unneccesary?

Bit accurate really. Though it is harsh to tar the whole squad with his brush.

Apparently Fletcher's not been training as he's got the virus again. New CM definitely in then.

Read somewhere that Fletch has a disease that will force him to retire, it's not life threatening but will prevent him from playing football anymore.

Can't remember where I heard that and I hope it isn't true, love Fletch.

Rooney in midfield, I've mentioned it in the thread many times and got laughed at time by at least one person. Does Mido know the forums are back?

Think he would do a good job there, bur might not be for a few seasons. If it happened now I think it would need to be as part of a three so we would be in the same situation as now anyway.

Forgot to say, that was a good reah Harry. Always nice to hear how other players feel about playing us.

Also, what I put above Fletch above was a rumour as nothing has been confirmed by the club or player himself.

Judging by the amount of spaces I'm going to take a guess at the stadium being used for NFL games as well so not going to be very surprised it's enormous :D

yep. seattle seahawks. qwest field (although i think it's recently had a name change) is prettyyyyy big.

Apparently Bolton want to take Welbeck on loan for the season what would you guys think of him going on loan again?

I personally would like to see him given first team opportunities here but if he goes out on loan I think it would be a good club to go to. They play some attractive stuff under Owen Coyle now and players like Wilshere and Sturridge progressed well while on loan there.

I wish we sold Diouf and didn't renew Owen's contract. That way we could keep Kiko or Danny (and send on loan to Premiership team the one we don't keep in the first team) and have Roo, Chicha and Berba. But, given the this situation I'd like us to loan both Kiko and Danny to Premiership team and give chance to Owen and Diouf so they don't waste wages for nothing. :D

or we could keep a 30 year old third choice striker who doesn't score enough goals and is on massive wages and who's value drops with every passing transfer window.

But hey, he can kill a ball out of the air from a great height.

or we could keep a 30 year old third choice striker who doesn't score enough goals and is on massive wages and who's value drops with every passing transfer window.

But hey, he can kill a ball out of the air from a great height.

Log Out button must be there somewhere...

Just leave...
Log Out button must be there somewhere...

trying to figure out which part isn't true in what I just said, fancy pointing it out to me?

We are in desperate need of a goal. Do you bring on Berbs or Owen?

Obviously more to it that that. But interested.

Owen, every single time.

That would depend who you are playing

ok, we are playing chelsea away?

Edit: changed my mind, don't think it matters who we are playing. If a chance falls to either of the players I know who would have more chance of putting it away.

I put it in bold for you...

ok, sure he was joint top goal scorer last year. but he only scored in 11 games. No CL goals. Last season was the exception to the rule.

So Owen aswell then.

I'd never take Dimitar Berbatov off for Michael Owen if we needed a goal. I'd also never put Owen on ahead of Berbatov (Assuming Hernandez and Rooney started) because if Hernandez wasn't working then Owen damn sure wouldn't.

I could understand why he picked Owen ahead of Berbatov for the Champions League final (and I defended it at the time), but I think if he had the choice again he wouldn't have. Theres a difference between a player who will score the one chance he gets (Macheda is as good as Owen for that anyway) and a player who can change a game even if he's not as clinical.

Berbatov got 21 goals last season, his best haul ever, if he doesn't get enough goals what on earth is Hernandez doing at the club? There are several accusations you can level at Dimitar Berbatov after last season but lack of goals isn't one of them. If we'd sold Berbatov last summer we wouldn't have our current thread title that's for sure.

I'd never take Dimitar Berbatov off for Michael Owen if we needed a goal. I'd also never put Owen on ahead of Berbatov (Assuming Hernandez and Rooney started) because if Hernandez wasn't working then Owen damn sure wouldn't.

I could understand why he picked Owen ahead of Berbatov for the Champions League final (and I defended it at the time), but I think if he had the choice again he wouldn't have.

Berbatov got 21 goals last season, his best haul ever, if he doesn't get enough goals what on earth is Hernandez doing at the club? There are several accusations you can level at Dimitar Berbatov after last season but lack of goals isn't one of them.

But to be fair, he scored most of his goals in 5 games or so.

Not saying Berba isn't a great player, he just isn't consistent enough for me.

Berbatov got 21 goals last season, his best haul ever, if he doesn't get enough goals what on earth is Hernandez doing at the club?

You mean the guy who scored 20 goals in less games?

Berbatov has scored 47 goals in 3 seasons, I bet Hernandez scores more in the same period.

But to be fair, he scored most of his goals in 5 games or so.

Not saying Berba isn't a great player, he just isn't consistent enough for me.

He scored 21 goals, you can question how and when he got them but saying;

who doesn't score enough goals

about someone who was top scorer and the club and joint in the league is ridiculous.

He only scored in 11 games isn't the same criticism as "he doesn't score enough goals"... one of those is a valid concern and the other one is a massive heap of Titus Bramble.

He scored 21 goals, you can question how and when he got them but saying;

about someone who was top scorer and the club and joint in the league is ridiculous.

He only scored in 11 games isn't the same criticism as "he doesn't score enough goals"... one of those is a valid concern and the other one is a massive heap of Titus Bramble.

Fair enough point. Can't really argue with someone who finished as the top goalscorer in the league.

Has Berba ever scored from the bench btw?

Pretty sure Berbatov played in 42 games last season and Hernandez 45. Less starts, not less games.

your right more game but less starts. Think the point still stands though.

I'm not saying that Berba isn't a great player and is sublime when playing well. I just think now is the right time to sell and we have the younger players to help replace the missing goals.

Regarding Fletch, that is sad and a little scary. He has a fever in the March 6 Liverpool match and gets substituted. Hasn't been right since and appears to have another setback over 4 months later? While it is certainly possible, a virus usually doesn't last that long.

Archived