tell me this isnt true. ( defenders scoring like crazy)

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joor:

I suggest you all stop using players at "near post flick on" and "challenge GK" since that where those high goals come from.

This will bring back realistic numbers.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So ... stop playing football then ? icon_biggrin.gif

These tactics are used all the time in the real world, why not in FM ?

I've not experienced the problem of Vida scoring too many goals, unfortunately. How do I manage this ?

I have to look for it ? icon_eek.gif

Feck that ! I'll carry on as I have been, it's not like I'm not winning anything anyway. And Vida scores as much in FM as he does in actuality, so I'm happy enough.

All my goals are being scored by a young chap called Toto Tamuz. icon14.gif

(And Rooney, Ronnie, Hargs, Carrick and Carlos of course. Saha icon_frown.gif)

I have noticed this as well if you put the corner taker to deliver in 6 yard box and the best header of the ball at challenge goalkeeper in my case Vidic he has scored 4 goals in 5 games.

and to suggest that we are cheating by using tactics that real managers use is quite bizzare tbh

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RubenJ:

Also, are you a tester? If not, get off my back please. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

On your back? I can't believe you responded this way icon_confused.gif

I just thought that you could help others by submitting this. It isn't something I can replicate myself (despite trying because I'd like this many goals myself), but since you could, perhaps you could help.

If you are not inclined to do this and would rather spend your time getting on Miles' back and then responding like this to me ..... fine.

icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joor:

I suggest you all stop using players at "near post flick on" and "challenge GK" since that where those high goals come from.

This will bring back realistic numbers.

Put them on forward, attack from deep and attack both posts instead.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Joor, ty i know you are tryin to help. but your solution is not good either. i want to use near post and challenge GK options. when you watchin real football, of course there is 1 player on first post. what if next bug would be wingers dont assist at all? then ill have to play without wings?

im 442 freak i love wings. thats not solution. ( actually, i think few years ago there was version where wings did no good at all. hated that version).

this would prob be my last post for few months. just to prove that not here to argue. because i know i cant change things. as i said few times, FM 07 was great. and my salute to SI with that game.

but what they done this year is very arcade style game, unrealistic match engine. i dont care if game has some minor bugs, like wrong and funny player of the year awards. i dont care for that. but i do care for good match engine. and Zombie tranformation DC into scoring players is not fun at all. maybe this was planned to be game for 12 year old child.

so for this version i can say great job marketing team SI. you sold to us game that claim its realistic foot sim.

people from SI say that we would acuse them for Titanic sinking. ill say just 1 thing. we have costumers rights to acuse u. im pretty sure SI earns great money. they are rich, driving great cars etc. fine by me. i have great job 2. but when people have 2 much money, they become too lazy. they employ other people to think for them. and obviously those other people didnt done job right.

lets just say, we " who acuse SI for everthing" dont buy game next year game. and i hope there would be at least 30% of us who will not buy next year game, and try maybe some other games. maybe then, SI would start to listen again. noone on this earth is ultimate hero. many good companies went down to bankrupt when they start to make wrong moves. when ego was to high, when they thought they are untouchable. so SI, you was best company for 15 years in menager games. but you had also many mistakes in last 5-6 years. maybe 2 many.

i will not buy next version, even if i read its best ever. that would be first time in 15 years. ill even try from all my " small man powers" to tell all people i can, that this is good idea. maybe then youll start to work really serious, for love, not money. if i am on your place, i would spend 2 years to make really masterpiece. with great regens, with totally new amazin match engine, far better network games, good tranning options, better AI in general, finally some good media interaction. with 500 more choises to make. like rpg game, just in football world etc. there are at least 20 more good reasons to dont make new "buggy but we give few small improvments" FM09. and you can just give new player database for next year.

just think about that. did you forget why you start this game 15 or more years ago? because you wanted something new. thats why.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hawshiels:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RubenJ:

Also, are you a tester? If not, get off my back please. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

On your back? I can't believe you responded this way icon_confused.gif

I just thought that you could help others by submitting this. It isn't something I can replicate myself (despite trying because I'd like this many goals myself), but since you could, perhaps you could help.

If you are not inclined to do this and would rather spend your time getting on Miles' back and then responding like this to me ..... fine.

icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You tell me what to do, inclining I can't think for myself, so I tell you to get off my back. It's pretty simple really.

Also, Miles made a statement in here that scoring lots of corners means you're exploiting the match engine and therefore cheating. Arguing with that is hardly what I call getting on someones back.

And stop whining ffs, this is an internet forum. You don't know me so you really shouldn't react as if your mother just told you to stick your head up your own arse.

And stop whining ffs, this is an internet forum. You don't know me so you really shouldn't react as if your mother just told you to stick your head up your own arse. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am sorry that I wasted my time trying to deal with you in a mature and constructive manner. You have just revealed why this was never going to work.

Miles: Now that the patch has been released, when do you think you will reach a conclusion about the way the forums are to be changed? (as per "These forums")

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hawshiels:

And stop whining ffs, this is an internet forum. You don't know me so you really shouldn't react as if your mother just told you to stick your head up your own arse. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am sorry that I wasted my time trying to deal with you in a mature and constructive manner. You have just revealed why this was never going to work.

Miles: Now that the patch has been released, when do you think you will reach a conclusion about the way the forums are to be changed? (as per "These forums") </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cubierta:

I rarely scored from Corners before latest patch and after i installed the patch, i did not change anything, now every game atleast 1 or 2 goals from corners.

jteh0.th.jpg

He is set to Challange Gk </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did a test using the same corner instructions as I had on 8.0.1 and Terry scored 7 goals in 3 games from corners. I'm in a clan and its going to cause problems between members I fear. There can be no doubt that this is a major flaw somehow missed by testers.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Miles Jacobson:

Hawshiels - the sooner the better. Realistically, it'll be the summer. Some of it is already planned, but it's bigger than just changing a few rules, so it'll still take time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In a way I'm glad it's going to be summer before something happens. Afterall, there is a big problem on the forums so I expect it will take a big effort on your part to change things.

Looking forward to that though and in the meantime I'll just have to learn to bite my lip more - although there's not much of it left now though.

p.s. Thanks for the speedy reponse and for giving me/us hope that someday fairly soon we can have our forums back to the good old days. icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Silverx:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Miles Jacobson:

ataman5 - that's not true. You have to follow various tactical setting changes that would not be that natural, nor would they be in any of the default tactics, unless I'm missing something? Even then, it doesn't work every time, just increases your chances of scoring from a corner. I've still to get it to do that, and my team is pretty strong (CL football in 2012). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It seems to happen with perfectly legitimate corner set-ups that were fine before the patch - so no, you don't need to have a special 'cheat' set up to exploit the engine's flaws. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am using exactly the same corner set-up I had before the patch. Admitedly my DC is the best on the planet at headers and jumping but to outscore my strikers 2:1 is extreme.

How much - no, I'd say that there is an exploit that can be used in certain conditions that could increase your chances of scoring at corners. To say that that makes the whole match engine flawed, as you've impled, is incorrect. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

gahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

no... seriously...

gahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

ycnmiu

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Matej:

blah. first i must play without good regens and i like to play 15+ seasons. then this. listen SI, i know youll prob not respond this but give me yellow or red card at least.

you start to think too much about money. thats my opinion. you start to work on FM Live and FM08 at same time. you said diffrent teams workin on this games. but you split all good programmers in 2 grups. and we can see that in match engine. match engine for FM08 is really bad. on FM07 after last patch was great. seems to me you sold ideals for money. regens as i said in some other topic where great 7-8 years ago. in last 4-5 years we have really big problem with regens. why you doin that? to play just few seasons and buy FM next year? cheap laughs.

many of your old school players really love this game. but last few years you make this game "for all people". that cant be good. fast game is like fast food. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why make a perfect game when you can improve it little by little and sell it every year to monkeys? Isn´t it that right Miles Jacobson? icon_wink.gificon14.gif

Miles, don't blame your customers because your company can't code defensive corner setups properly, then make up for that failure with what are essentially unrealistic handicaps, and once they get turned off due to backlash because of their unrealism, you get this huge problem because of your match engine not being realistic.

06 had the "lurk" issue correct (05?)? Which was a problem with the defence marking properly. It happens IRL occasionally, Manchester United scored a goal like this a few weeks ago, but that was from a quickly taken corner, the MAIN reason for the guy lurking is to hit the ball back into the penalty area or shoot.

Like in this Rossi compilation at 0:52. In the lurk tactic the other team never picked up the free man and with the corner direction the ball always went to him straight. A few times IRL players will volley from a direct corner but it's kinda rare and takes a really good strike to score. Even a well flighted/weighted pass to a "lurker" still requires a quality finish IRL.

The main problem with the defender/near post thing in 07 (and now 08) is that many, many IRL teams will place a guy in or around the near post edge of the 6 yard box in case the ball is hit to the near post.

07 it was not a huge problem as it was alot more random and most defenders only scored 3-6 goals a season usually from this tactic. In 08 they "fixed" it by making it a foul. Then they removed the foul.

Picture, with some of my thoughts on this issue.

It's done in 07, but it still stands as the issue is still in 08 and even worse considering how many goals are scored from it.

The only thing it "exploits" is the constant inability of SI to get defensive corner markings correct and reflecting current tactics that are used IRL.

Teams put men not marking people around the near post area to stop corners into the near post area and clear them and protect the team from marauding near post runs, from what I remember, Liverpool use Crouch (when he is playing) and Manchester United use Ronaldo. They are both good jumpers who are good headers.

Most near post corner goals are conceded when a team fails to get "in front" of someone making a near post run.

Robinson goal vs Swindon. Here Swindon completely fail to cover a near post run and make sure no-one gets in front of them once the corner is taken short then crossed in, and along comes Robinson to take advantage.

Even a goalie can score when you leave him unmarked and/or without getting in front of him, so if you did this IRL you can expect huge amount of goals conceded. Which is where the problem lies.

The match engine has flaws in it's defence, which leads to SI having to do things like make human teams lose or draw when they have 25/30/40 shots on goal compared to the other team who score 1/2/3/4 goals with their 1st/2nd/3rd/4th shots whilst human team strikers suck are unable to finish properly AI strikers score their only shots on target.

In this case, the failure to improve defence marking caused SI to turn every near post goal into a "foul". When that was complained about being unrealistic, they removed it and now we get defenders/tall strikers scoring craploads of goals.

I tried to aim at near post . Ambrosini(19 heading 18 jumping 17 strenght) on near post flick on and Gilardino(16 heading 16 jumping 16 strenght) challenge GK - my two best in the air. Yes Ambro wins alot of challenge one on one..but he dosnt score in every game. When I played vs Inter they double team ambrosini with Nicolás Burdisso and Patrick Vieira and then he didnt win any headers in 7 attempts.

Stats are important ..not a "bug" imo

Ambrosini have scored 6 goals so far this season, and every time it was when he got a one on one challenge vs someone whos jumping, bravery and strenght was 2-3 points lower.

I think its ok as it is atm. Its a tactical error leaving your best player in the air alone ..

I tried to aim at near post . Ambrosini(19 heading 18 jumping 17 strenght) on near post flick on and Gilardino(16 heading 16 jumping 16 strenght) challenge GK - my two best in the air. Yes Ambro wins alot of challenge one on one..but he dosnt score in every game. When I played vs Inter they double team ambrosini with Nicolás Burdisso and Patrick Vieira and then he didnt win any headers in 7 attempts.

Stats are important ..not a "bug" imo </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How the hell is it not a bug when defenders score 20 headed goals per season?

Im getting it at Lower League level- the attributes that work are relative to league level, which is a problem as I need those attributes to be decent for my DCs.

Ive no problem in not exploting this , but when your losing games because the AI doesnt realise its an exploit then you kinda have to use it to even the playing field, especially as we still lose a player who cuts out the short corner whether we want him there or not.

Apart from this Im really, really pleased with what has been done for 8.02.

I'll start this post by stating that I'm a huge SI fan and of course FM and previous CM's (done by SI).

I am astounded that this 'exploit' has made it through testing......who does the testing ??? I noticed this by the end of pre-season (as it seems have many others) so i'm stunned that it hasn't been picked up.

Yes we can choose not to use it, but will we go from feast to famine ? Time will tell I guess, but my gripe is that it hasn't been picked up in testing and it should have been.

For Fm2006 I was one of the many beta testers. I maintain that the 'experiment' of getting the community to 'mass test' was a huge success as FM2006 was pretty good 'out of the box'. I know someone leaked the code, but that was always going to happen......If I were SI I'd look for a way to get the wider community involved again as for whatever reason really obvious things are being missed.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SLO_Fila:

Stats are important ..not a "bug" imo </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How the hell is it not a bug when defenders score 20 headed goals per season? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Try read what I said again. Its a combination of to meny supermen in the air(database error) and bad marking in the penalty area.

If you load genie scout and search for player with atleast 18 jumping 18 heading you get 45 - thats to meny. When these players also got bravery and strenght above 17 they dominate the air.

just finished my pre season and I'm yet to see this problem. but with so many people complining about it, it's a mayor flaw. I'm interested if it's only happening to humans or AI as well?

so far I think 802's better then any previous patch. but with this corner bug the game is allmost unplayable for me. I also must say I expected more from this patch, defensive play is better but still not enough, winger's movement is probably even worse then pre patch, high scorelines...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sebsy:

So it clearly is a bug, no matter what their stats they shouldn't be first to every ball from a corner.

ffs, why do people keep defending SI, when there is clearly a problem icon_confused.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Who said its a bug? and we are not "defending" SI !?..

When you got monsters in the air who are only up againt one opponents(who isnt as good) ofc he will dominate.

But this dosnt happend vs good team who know how to defend on corners.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mitja:

just finished my pre season and I'm yet to see this problem. but with so many people complining about it, it's a mayor flaw. I'm interested if it's only happening to humans or AI as well?

so far I think 802's better then any previous patch. but with this corner bug the game is allmost unplayable for me. I also must say I expected more from this patch, defensive play is better but still not enough, winger's movement is probably even worse then pre patch, high scorelines... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you are not experiencing this issue, why is the game unplayable for you Mitja?

I can't replicate this either in my game and I'm wondering how many people that have had this problem have taken the time to sbumit it in the bugs forum along with their saved game? Has anyone done this yet?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mitja:

so far I think 802's better then any previous patch. but with this corner bug the game is allmost unplayable for me. I also must say I expected more from this patch, defensive play is better but still not enough, winger's movement is probably even worse then pre patch, high scorelines... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you are not experiencing this issue, why is the game unplayable for you Mitja?

I can't replicate this either in my game and I'm wondering how many people that have had this problem have taken the time to sbumit it in the bugs forum along with their saved game? Has anyone done this yet? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I said I finished my pre season and yet to experience this problem. why... becouse I can read and see how many people DO experience this problem.

smth odd here to you?

http://img160.imageshack.us/my.php?image=jteh0.jpg

http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/8424/superdc2rh2.jpg

http://img143.imageshack.us/my.php?image=burdisso1yb2.jpg

icon_wink.gif

20 heading is like having 20 finishing. Heading is the ability to control and direct the ball with the head. I just think there should NOT be so meny Central defeders with 18-19 or 20.

Jumping on the other hand can be high yes, no problem..

Yeah mitja those 3 players are way to good in the air ..its insane icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

what do you meen? in the game? compared to reality?

aah, it's just a ME flaw. I hope I won't experience it, is there a workaround? I heard you mustn't have them on chalange GK, and near post flick on?

but it's not fair if AI's using it...

20 heading is like having 20 finishing. Heading is the ability to control and direct the ball with the head. I just think there should NOT be so meny Central defeders with 18-19 or 20.

Jumping on the other hand can be high yes, no problem.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

but those who would have 20's would score much, so it'd still be a problem. terry's got jumping and heading 18 which is realistic at least.

If it really is such a major issue, what amazes me is that someone hasn't placed a bug report about it - and sent in a saved game for SI to look at.

It may well be a problem, but if it is spoiling people's games (as is being claimed) .... why no bug reports?

icon_confused.gif

p.s. I get really confused on the forums these days. I never know who actually has a real problem and who is just re-writing what they've read other people complain about without experiencing it themselves. This is how 'panic' can set it over something quite trivial. Mountains out of molehills springs to mind. But if it is a bug, will someone please report it properly. icon14.gif

• SI Staff

Ok, I have read both threads on this now and this is my take:

There clearly is an issue for certain combinations of corner takers and defenders, but its not being exploited by AI teams. Therefore the simple workaround is not to use it, in the same way as you wouldnt reload the game after a defeat. Simply dont use the challenge keeper instuction and you wont see it.

I realise its a frustration, but its simply not practical for us to re-issue a patch for an exploit that is easy to avoid if you dont want to see it in your game.

In the meantime anyone with a save game that shows multiple examples of it please help us by uploading it so we can get it fixed for the next version.

Paul

ps Other thread: Here

Paul, no offence, but that is just daft.

You are telling us not to use a tactic that is there to be used and is used throughout the game in real life.

How is it not practical to reissue a patch for something that is clearly quite a mess? A further patch should be issued with this problem sorted along with other issues that many people are experiencing.

Archived