Do you think Pep Guardiola had alot to do with the Spanish Title?

Uquillas

Do you think Pep Guardialo had alot to do with the Spanish Title?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Pep Guardialo had alot to do with the Spanish Title?

• Yes
    • No

Yes, as much as or likely even more as van Gaal had a hand in the German team. That's what you get if the key players or in Spains case even most players playing for one club team.

The Barcelona players have been playing that way for years, and while Pep has kept it going and perhaps even enhanced it, the players' qualities, and therefore the way the Spanish team plays, will have only been marginally influenced, in my opinion.

In that one season in charge of the B team he did get them to the playoff finals of their Tercera division which is quite impressive. I don't really think he had anything to do with them winning the WC whatsoever tbh. Although a lot of the players have learnt from what he and other managers at Barca have taught them, I still think this team could win it if half of them weren't at Barca.

please give me evidence of a single thing in the universe that is detached from the rest and then i'll cast a vote on 'no'

So you'd vote yes if the question was "Do you think OTF had a lot to do with the Spanish title?" ?

fwiw it's undeniable that Pep had an influence, whether he had a lot of it or not depends on how much one considers "a lot".

RIjkaard was Barcelona's coach before Pep.

As for the question, influence? guess some. A lot? nope. Spanish style of play has relied on offence, passing and ball possession more than on defence since the Camacho era. It finally crystalized in the form of an important title with the 2008 eurocup (with Luis Aragones). Del Bosque just kept what was working in the eurocup and evolved it in his own way.

Guardiola took command of Barcelona in August 2008, just after the Eurocup. Spanish play style was defined well before that, so his influence on the doctrine or tactical ideas is close to nil.

However ,Pep had the balls to put two guys coming from a tercera division 2nd team in the 1st team and gave them a lot of play time. Those two guys turned to be important (one) and fundamental (the other) in South Africa. And are Pedro and Busquets. I highly doubt those two players would've had the play time and consequent leap in quality in Real Madrid, for instance, but Pep trusted them 100% and they've evolved into very very good players both for Barcelona and the national team. Pedro was one of the keys why we won against Germany (was man of match imo, sad the missed chance he had late in 2nd half because he was exhausted). Busquets has been, for me, one of the key reasons why we are World Champions as his amazing job wasn't as shiny as, let's say, Villa's.

So yep, he had importance on the title. Indirectly, however, because his influence didn't come in the form of doctrine or tactics, but in the form of two very young players that probably wouldn't have evolved so much in just 2 years without his confidence and trust Pep put on both.

Archived