Who will win the World Cup? (Quarter-Final Poll)

Rhino

Who will win the World Cup?  

122 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the World Cup?

Well, we've had a good look at all the teams now, so I'll take another poll to see how we think the competition's going to go, then stick some money on the voted nation and blame you lot when it inevitably doesn't come in. ;)

Open from now until the start of the quarter finals...

I voted for Argentina, I think Brazil will reach the final, but the players will be too tired/unfit/injured by the time the final comes and against a tougher opponent than the 6 previous ones, they will fall apart.

I bet that hurt, PMLF!

I don't really like this Brazil too much, style aside (the style is great :thup:), so I won't be bothered if Brazil lose, especially if it's to another South American team like Argentina (even though they are Brazil' arch-rivals).

Brazil can't lose in 2014, but 2010 is not so important.

Voted for Argentina as I really hope they win it. Would be brilliant in so many ways. Also managed to be the only team in the last 16 I wanted to get through. Very tough route can be reasonably expected though.

Brazil are in a very strong position, in the easier side of the draw and are well suited to playing against Spain or Argentina. Would be a travesty if they won though really.

Uruguay are strong outsiders too, should breeze past Ghana and are capable of frustrating anyone, with Forlan and Suarez ready to take any chances.

Brazil are in a very strong position, in the easier side of the draw and are well suited to playing against Spain or Argentina. Would be a travesty if they won though really.

Why would it be a travesty?

As much as I think Brazil won't win, I think if Brazil keep at the same level against stronger opponents until the end and win it, it will be perfectly fine and fair, regardless of the quality of the players, or the style (which I love though, but many people, especially abroad, don't), etc...

I think Brazil. They have a great combination of flair and defensive solidity, i can only see Spain being able to push them all the way, but unfortunately the Spanish just look a little too vulnerable at the back to ultimately succeed.

The best thing is that of the realistic winners (Arg, Bra, Ger, Ned, Spa), all are great going forward. I don't think i can remember a World Cup in my lifetime that will be contested between so many sides that offer what these teams do in attack. It could be a great end to this WC with a bit of luck.

I think Brazil. They have a great combination of flair and defensive solidity, i can only see Spain being able to push them all the way, but unfortunately the Spanish just look a little too vulnerable at the back to ultimately succeed.

The best thing is that of the realistic winners (Arg, Bra, Ger, Ned, Spa), all are great going forward. I don't think i can remember a World Cup in my lifetime that will be contested between so many sides that offer what these teams do in attack. It could be a great end to this WC with a bit of luck.

Brazil certainly look the strongest, i can't see them having a bad game at all....

Why would it be a travesty?

As much as I think Brazil won't win, I think if Brazil keep at the same level against stronger opponents until the end and win it, it will be perfectly fine and fair, regardless of the quality of the players, or the style (which I love though, but many people, especially abroad, don't), etc...

They play awful football with average players, nothing likeable about the players or the way they play.

fwiw, I don't actually think it would be travesty. Dunga's done a good job with what is a weak set of Brazilian players to get them to be among the favourites. And I really don't like Dunga at all. Just a shame to see Brazil reduced to playing dull, counter attacking football.

And Dani Alves is in the squad, and no squad with Dani Alves deserves to win anything.

They play awful football with average players, nothing likeable about the players or the way they play.

fwiw, I don't actually think it would be travesty. Dunga's done a good job with what is a weak set of Brazilian players to get them to be among the favourites. And I really don't like Dunga at all. Just a shame to see Brazil reduced to playing dull, counter attacking football.

Dull football from Brazil is nothing new, but counter-attacking football is modern Brazilian style, look at how São Paulo or Inter beat Liverpool and Barcelona in the CWC in 2005 and 2006, etc...

And I think counter-attacking football is great to watch tbh.

And Dani Alves is in the squad, and no squad with Dani Alves deserves to win anything.

It's funny that until a year or two ago I didn't like him, but nowadays I do, mostly because he played well for Brazil, although in this WC he has been disappointing. I of course don't care about simulation or overreaction or this kind of stuff though, as I think on the pitch you have to do what you need in order to win, and these things, if employed properly, can be very useful.

Yeah there's such a lack of talented Brazilian that 10+ foreign national teams have a Brazilian on their squad...

They are mostly average as well, but the problem is the lack of real stars, especially attacking stars.

Dull football from Brazil is nothing new, but counter-attacking football is modern Brazilian style, look at how São Paulo or Inter beat Liverpool and Barcelona in the CWC in 2005 and 2006, etc...

And I think counter-attacking football is great to watch tbh.

As the Germans have showed, as well as other teams in the WC

Im looking at the potential ties and Spain are 99.9% in the final with probably the easiest quarter-final/semi-final potential opponents ever seen so i've gone for Spain as i think they will nick it in the final like 2 years ago at the Euros.

I didn't fancy Brazil at the start but they impress me more every time I see them play. Brazil have a great goalie, great defense, and some very good attackers. Argentina would be a great story, they prob have the best attack, but their defense might let them down. The difference between the two teams is Brazil doesn't really have a weakness. I can't see Argentina beating the Brazil defense, but I could see Brazil beating the Argentina defense quite easily.

I'm going with Spain. Spain and Brazil really dominate possession, would be cool to see who comes out on top in that battle, and dictates the game.

I didn't fancy Brazil at the start but they impress me more every time I see them play. Brazil have a great goalie, great defense, and some very good attackers. Argentina would be a great story, they prob have the best attack, but their defense might let them down. The difference between the two teams is Brazil doesn't really have a weakness. I can't see Argentina beating the Brazil defense, but I could see Brazil beating the Argentina defense quite easily.

I'm going with Spain. Spain and Brazil really dominate possession, would be cool to see who comes out on top in that battle, and dictates the game.

Brazil's main weakness is that it is not very capable of breaking the defenses of teams that only defend, look at Brazil's difficulties against North Korea, or in several WC Quals games (0-0 home draws against Bolivia, Colombia and Venezuela).

If i've worked it out correctly they will play the winner of the Uruguay v Ghana game? As opposed to Brazil/Argentina/Germany.

Brazil/Holland vs Uruguay/Ghana is one of the semis, so we will have Argentina/Germany vs Spain/Paraguay in the other semis.

Brazil's main weakness is that it is not very capable of breaking the defenses of teams that only defend, look at Brazil's difficulties against North Korea, or in several WC Quals games (0-0 home draws against Bolivia, Colombia and Venezuela).

Yea. That shouldn't be a problem against Argentina? But Spain on the other hand has a good defense and goalie.

Yea. That shouldn't be a problem against Argentina? But Spain on the other hand has a good defense and goalie.

It wouldn't be a problem against either Argentina or Spain as they would try to attack and so expose themselves to Brazil's counter-attacks.

It could be a problem against Uruguay though, and maybe Holland.

I voted Brazil as they have a relatively easy way to the finals and are very solid team overall, especially in defense although they are nothing spectacular attacking-wise. Anyone of Argentina/Spain/Germany could meet them in the final, but I am a little concerned about Germanys defence and the lack of experience in certain positions

I hope the Netherlands.

But I am afraid it will be those awful Brazilians.

If we lose against them on friday, I hope the Germans will beat them at the final. As strange as that may sound from a Dutchie.

ah right, my fixture chart thing is wrong then. It reckons Spain will play either Uruguay or Ghana in the semi's/

It is wrong, they play against winner of Germany v Argentina : Bracket

Ofc voted for Holland, but I think we will, again, loose against Brazil, although with a small bit of luck, who knows. anyway, I think the WC winner will come from those 2 nations, either us (that is Holland) or Brazil.

Archived