Half the first team 'may want a new challenge in the future'

I manage Napoli in 2020, and have won the Serie A many times and on course to win the Serie A and Champions League. Despite the huge success, one or two players 'may want a new challenge in the future'. I ignore them, then give them new contracts, then they are happy.

But now suddenly, three, no five, now about six! players 'may want a new challenge in the future'. They have been important first team players in the club for around four to seven years each and they include my captain and my vice-captain! I don't want to escalate this matter and them to request a transfer, nor do I want to sell the best players in the world, so what could I do? Team chemistry is still extremely high at the moment.

offer them a new contract straight away otherwise it will transition to 'wants a new challenge' which in my experience means you can't persuade the player to stay.

But they would shut up only for a year before wanting a new challenge again next year...

Never mind, it's FMRTE time. :rolleyes:

You can't keep the same players for 15 years, in modern football no top team ever does that. We see the likes of Henry, C. Ronaldo, Zidane, etc being sold at relatively good ages but then we don't want to sell our Diego Regedona until he's 36. Of course they want a new challenge if they've won everything with your club.

Answer? Time to make your game a bit more fun and do a generational change.

You can't keep the same players for 15 years, in modern football no top team ever does that. We see the likes of Henry, C. Ronaldo, Zidane, etc being sold at relatively good ages but then we don't want to sell our Diego Regedona until he's 36. Of course they want a new challenge if they've won everything with your club.

Answer? Time to make your game a bit more fun and do a generational change.

Not really the right time to do a generation change yet, they are still about 24, 25 years old. Guess I'll have to sell some of them and give the rest new contracts.

This was never a problem on FM 09, had only one player who had this and nothing bad ever happened to him.

But they would shut up only for a year before wanting a new challenge again next year...

Never mind, it's FMRTE time. :rolleyes:

Why stop there, give your team a couple of billion, wreck the opposition, edit all your players to have 200PA etc etc :rolleyes:

I think you escaping from reality when you use FMRTE. Deal with it as the game only permits.

If anything, the game is talking to you "YOU NEED A NEW CHALLENGE" :lol: seriously I would be happy if I was in your position because finally something challenging to overcome instead of going through match by match winning the league and UCL.

This is not unrealistic and is perfectly reasonable.

In my opinion it should happen more.

If you look at the first teams of many sides several years down the line, they haven't changed that much. I'd like to see certain big name players wanting 'to move to Spain' for example.

Happens in real life.

Last season I had one player with "May want a new challenge" so I sold him because I didn't use him that often.

At the beginning of this season, I have/had two players with "May want a new challenge". One was my LB whom I have sold for 12.75m I was gonna sell him anyways. The other one is my 24 years old striker who just got inducted to the legend status. There is no way I am gonna sell him despite Mourinho going after him like a mad dog chasing bone.

The needs a new challenge issue for me always seems to be a new contract issue. On the Newcastle save I have shelved now, I had won the title several times and most of the cups a few times as well.

This caused my reputation to grow, this was when my Key Players started grumbling about needing a new challenge. I always sorted it out by giving them new contracts. Once they reached 110k per week, I could keep them quite by offering them the same amount, just renewing the length of time (the hefty signing bonus probably helped).

They had me over a barrel as I was intent on building an all English team, so while there were better players out there, I forced my self to stick with the to keep my all English target on course.

So if the players are a must keep, then hold onto them with new contracts, if they are not must haves, then let them go for mega bucks. A swap deal is a good way of off loading them in that case.

I think it's a good challenge to try and rejuvenate the team every so often. It keeps things fresh.

I am playing as Leeds and have taken them back to the premier league and was offered the job at sevilla - I was a little bored with Leeds so I have taken the Sevilla job at the end of the season. Change is good!

As the proverb goes ' constant change is here to stay '

Its perfectly reasonable and realistic to expect players to want a new challenge. Your team are young and have won lots with you, they would probably like to go and chance their arm elsewhere in the footballing world. Yes you are always going to have the Giggs/Scholes types but they really are the exception rather than the rule. When my players tell me this I see it as a time to rejuvenate my squad and that in turn motivates me to continue bringing success to the club with a new generation.

I have never had half my team all at once wanting a new challenge, but it regularyy occurs within a year after I have made a player team captain - especially if they are under the age of 27. Then I just try to get as big a possible transfer fee from their departure and replace them with a younger player.

I had to chuckle when the following happened: my goalkeeper, who had been at the club for 6+ years, wanted a new challenge and strangely enough nobody wanted him so I ended up selling him for 1million pounds(even though he was worth a lot more than that). I bought in a replacement (24 years old compared to the 29 year old player who had wanted out) and he has consistently gotten higher ratings than my previous goalkeeper.

What made me laugh is the fact that when I checked my previous goalie's happiness after a season or two he was already unhappy and seeking a new challenge yet again! What a troublesome player... :D

This is not unrealistic and is perfectly reasonable.

In my opinion it should happen more.

If you look at the first teams of many sides several years down the line, they haven't changed that much. I'd like to see certain big name players wanting 'to move to Spain' for example.

Happens in real life.

Happen more? There has been never the case that half the first team wants out because they have achieved everything. Take a look at Barcelona for example, the only players that want out in real life are Henry and Toure Yaya because they don't play enough. You don't have Xavi, Iniesta, Messi, etc. all wanting a new challenge. They may have been at the club for all their life but so have mine, and they are firm fan favourites and love the club. They don't even have low loyalty ratings. The news that one player after another wanting a new challenge in the future is disturbing. I have only won one trophy this season anyway.

The needs a new challenge issue for me always seems to be a new contract issue. On the Newcastle save I have shelved now, I had won the title several times and most of the cups a few times as well.

This caused my reputation to grow, this was when my Key Players started grumbling about needing a new challenge. I always sorted it out by giving them new contracts. Once they reached 110k per week, I could keep them quite by offering them the same amount, just renewing the length of time (the hefty signing bonus probably helped).

They had me over a barrel as I was intent on building an all English team, so while there were better players out there, I forced my self to stick with the to keep my all English target on course.

So if the players are a must keep, then hold onto them with new contracts, if they are not must haves, then let them go for mega bucks. A swap deal is a good way of off loading them in that case.

Good idea, problem is that the other FREDS are mostly rubbish and replacing half the team isn't going to help team spirit.

Why stop there, give your team a couple of billion, wreck the opposition, edit all your players to have 200PA etc etc :rolleyes:

Do you think very hard writing stupid things like that or are you just a natural idiot?

Do you think very hard writing stupid things like that or are you just a natural idiot?

You join the boards, complain about not getting your own way in the game, resort to cheating and then abuse people.

I can see you'll fit right in, enjoy your stay :rolleyes:

Yes, it should happen more. It's a recognised issue that top players stay at the best sides for too long. I know it happens IRL but the game restricts this far too much.

If you buy all the best players at Arsenal, for example, you can guarantee they'll still be there ten years down the line - which is unrealistic.

Wow! 15 posts and you think you're a tough guy?

Cougar actually took that really well, when what he should of done was slate you to the ground. But he's clearly got more class than you and also a lot of respect on these forums.

You are going straight on the ignore list because its clear you are going to offer absolutely nothing intelligent.

Welcome, enjoy and take care.

Cougar actually took that really well, when what he should of done was slate you to the ground. But he's clearly got more class than you and also a lot of respect on these forums.

You are going straight on the ignore list because its clear you are going to offer absolutely nothing intelligent.

Using sarcasm to bring someone down is not classy. Cougar was being childish.

Using sarcasm to bring someone down is not classy. Cougar was being childish.

Do you just follow me around, criticising my posts, mr perfect?

Cougar wasn't being childish, just expressing his opinion. Its fairly clear that these forums are split between those that use 'cheats' and those that don't. Opinions are strong on each side and Cougars comments were fair play.

Do you just follow me around, criticising my posts, mr perfect?

Cougar wasn't being childish, just expressing his opinion. Its fairly clear that these forums are split between those that use 'cheats' and those that don't. Opinions are strong on each side and Cougars comments were fair play.

Well, children, please don't fight! There is absolutely nothing wrong in cheating against the AI but there is something wrong when one brags about his achievements through cheating in these forums! :)

I find that offering a new contract is a short term fix

if they have 2 years left i offer them a new contract.

if they have 3 or 4 i hold out and wait till they complain some more and issue a statemnt. I then say i have more to offer. 90% of the time they back down. No point spending money on signing on fees

Christ, I've opened a hornets nest, sorry guys :(

FAO Wonky, I'm sorry you felt I was being childish.

My first response was sarcastic as OP had suggested cheating to "fix" something within the game that didn't go his way (bad loser much?).

He then chose to abuse me which was uncalled for and I felt my response was fairly refrained in all fairness.

A very classic low(Edgar) post!

Sorry but could resist the opportunity. :D

Still, why do you insult people? Do you think it benefits these forums? Do you think that insulting people because they speak their mind is beneficial to these forums?

So I maybe a low(grade) person for not liking a game which I'm fan of the series, or for thinking that SI could have done more interesting and fun game that we have now.

I'm sorry if my point of view of what FM game should be insults you!

Little of advise to you friend. Don't do to others, what you don't like others do to you.

My first response was sarcastic as OP had suggested cheating to "fix" something within the game that didn't go his way (bad loser much?).

He then chose to abuse me which was uncalled for and I felt my response was fairly refrained in all fairness.

Well to be honest you did start the discussion match, despite it wasn't your intent, but still was really necessary? I don't get this constant bickering about people using cheats if it is either adding few billions on the editor or using FMRTE. If they want to use it, then it is their perrogative and not anybody elses. if you don't like to use it then don't. There is no correct way to play this game, there is only our individual way. That is why FM is a great game.

Back to topic, do think that Barcelona was well spot on. If the player or players in question love the club their playing then there is no need for showing need a new challenge thing. Now there is another example that is C. Ronaldo. Why did he transfer to Real Madrid? Because it has been always his dream to play there and decided to follow his dream. The same happen to Kaka.

There is one thing that it is extremelly hard for the game to simulate, that is complexity the human mind is. Sometimes players the may have dream to play at barcelona, but decides to stay at napole, because they might think: "Why would I move to club where I more likely be bench warmer, if I can stay at Napole and be first team player."

In FM07 this was put in spot on decision. The only times i saw the message "May want new Challenge" was only when the player won every national league or everything in several seasons in a row and want to pursue new challenges. Either then that is extremely rare to see. it happen game i'm doing with a friend that he won 4 consecutive Champions League (with little cheating, because I with Chelsea failed to reach the final and I let him cheat on those finals) and Carrick wanted new challenge. So I signed him to my team and has been for 6 years without any complains and I won two Champions league in different seasons in that 6 years period. Now my friend wants to buy him back and I stated if he offers me 100 million is cash for him, I won't sell him. So cheating In a way did bit on his a*s.

So the New challenge message should remain as rarity and remove the idea that is another reason to sell players. I say again the solution is basically improving the AI management of clubs to create challenge to us players of FM By buy and selling players from us as well as well form otherthe AI teams to improve their teams and not use gimmicks to do this.

A very classic low(Edgar) post!

Sorry but could resist the opportunity. :D

Still, why do you insult people? Do you think it benefits these forums? Do you think that insulting people because they speak their mind is beneficial to these forums?

So I maybe a low(grade) person for not liking a game which I'm fan of the series, or for thinking that SI could have done more interesting and fun game that we have now.

I'm sorry if my point of view of what FM game should be insults you!

Little of advise to you friend. Don't do to others, what you don't like others do to you.

Grade, unfortunately the pun doesn't work so well with my user name, but points for effort. :D

I didn't insult him, I used sarcasm to object to his insulting post.

You and I differ on opinions, that much is obvious from our posts.

As for doing stuff to others, well if people want to insult me they can bring it on, but as you know I won't sit here and take it, they'll get it back.

All the grief I take and yet funnily enough in around 4 years on these forums I've never had a single infraction and only twice been mildly ticked off by the mods.

Check out my posts Grade (particularly in GPTG) and you'll find me to be generally helpful and nice to people.

GD threads can get tiresome, but many new posters make their first ventures into this forum and I think it disingenuous of people to post their 'wrong' thoughts that could possibly put people off the game or these forums needlessly.

Cheers.

That's fine. It looked to me like you were baiting him. He took the bait, regardless of whether you felt you dangled it or not. lol.

edgar, we're now best buddies. :p

Grade, unfortunately the pun doesn't work so well with my user name, but points for effort. :D

I didn't insult him, I used sarcasm to object to his insulting post.

You and I differ on opinions, that much is obvious from our posts.

As for doing stuff to others, well if people want to insult me they can bring it on, but as you know I won't sit here and take it, they'll get it back.

All the grief I take and yet funnily enough in around 4 years on these forums I've never had a single infraction and only twice been mildly ticked off by the mods.

Check out my posts Grade (particularly in GPTG) and you'll find me to be generally helpful and nice to people.

GD threads can get tiresome, but many new posters make their first ventures into this forum and I think it disingenuous of people to post their 'wrong' thoughts that could possibly put people off the game or these forums needlessly.

Cheers.

Sorry, but you just can only state your own opinion, you and I cannot make our opinions (different as it may) law and state that other opinions that go against ours wrong that could possibly put people off the game and these forums.

In these forums what i really that has been downgrading is unnecessary accusations that been stated by both time of the fence. You can have nice wealthy discussion without the accusations and all of that.

The putting off the game, i'm sorry, but that is not your prerogative or mine. It is no one's prerogative. Each people try the game and decide they like the game or not. I try the game and quite like the FM10 Demo, but the game itself lacked the motivation to drawn me to go for career save and I find the game too confusing and boring. I acceapt that your opinion is quite different then mine and I'm happy that you are enjoying so much the game, but you need accept that there are people who hate the game, despite how tiresome they can get.

However despite my feelings concerning FM08, FM09 and FM10, I absolutely love FM07.

"Wanting a new challenge" is just their way of saying the team has grown past the player's contract. He is saying, in truth, "If I were playing this well and often for another team at this level, I'd be making more money. Either pay me, or let me get paid somewhere else."

Back to topic, do think that Barcelona was well spot on. If the player or players in question love the club their playing then there is no need for showing need a new challenge thing. Now there is another example that is C. Ronaldo. Why did he transfer to Real Madrid? Because it has been always his dream to play there and decided to follow his dream. The same happen to Kaka.

There is one thing that it is extremelly hard for the game to simulate, that is complexity the human mind is. Sometimes players the may have dream to play at barcelona, but decides to stay at napole, because they might think: "Why would I move to club where I more likely be bench warmer, if I can stay at Napole and be first team player."

In FM07 this was put in spot on decision. The only times i saw the message "May want new Challenge" was only when the player won every national league or everything in several seasons in a row and want to pursue new challenges. Either then that is extremely rare to see. it happen game i'm doing with a friend that he won 4 consecutive Champions League (with little cheating, because I with Chelsea failed to reach the final and I let him cheat on those finals) and Carrick wanted new challenge. So I signed him to my team and has been for 6 years without any complains and I won two Champions league in different seasons in that 6 years period. Now my friend wants to buy him back and I stated if he offers me 100 million is cash for him, I won't sell him. So cheating In a way did bit on his a*s.

So the New challenge message should remain as rarity and remove the idea that is another reason to sell players. I say again the solution is basically improving the AI management of clubs to create challenge to us players of FM By buy and selling players from us as well as well form otherthe AI teams to improve their teams and not use gimmicks to do this.

You are right about Real Madrid, C. Ronaldo and Kaka. Problem with the game is that too many players are in this situation. Ronaldo and Kaka left Man Utd and Milan, but you don't see players like Fletcher, Rooney, Pato, and Evra all wanting to leave at the same time. You are right in saying that AI managers should actively buy and sell our players more rather than forcing our players to leave.

Yes, it should happen more. It's a recognised issue that top players stay at the best sides for too long. I know it happens IRL but the game restricts this far too much.

If you buy all the best players at Arsenal, for example, you can guarantee they'll still be there ten years down the line - which is unrealistic.

You are right. However, the game should not use this reason too often, rather the AI managers should be the ones doing the buying and selling. It is true that in real life that players don't stay with a club for too long, but not all the time it is due to the player wanting a new challenge, it usually is down to the manager's decision.

I'm very sorry to have insulted you in any way, Cougar. Edgar, please cut down on the hypocrisy the next time you are off FM.

• 3 weeks later...

It's back again. I offer this guy a new contract worth 100.000 a week, and he signs it and he's happy. Two months later, he 'may want a new challenge in the future' and the assistant manager advises me to give him a new lucrative contract to keep him around! Why don't you tell me earlier, and I would have offloaded you instead of wasting my money.

Another issue is when I offer these players out, they are 'determined to prove his worth to the team/determined not to be forced out of the club'. Do you want to stay or not?!

Archived