Liverpool FC 2008/09

Moreclaw

• Replies 17.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by J7-MAN:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jep:

We have been linked with a move for Anti Niemi today for a cut price £350k. If we can pull that deal off I would be happy - always rated him as a good keeper.

3 years ago. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Would still say yes today. And we make a profit from the money we sell Itanje for.

Originally posted by PoopyPants:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by J7-MAN:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jep:

We have been linked with a move for Anti Niemi today for a cut price £350k. If we can pull that deal off I would be happy - always rated him as a good keeper.

3 years ago. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Would still say yes today. And we make a profit from the money we sell Itanje for. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I seem to remember alot of talk last season of him being terrible for Fulham?

pepe doesn't seem to get injured much. nor get suspended. so the backup is really a league cup and possibly early fa cup keeper.

then rafa and the technical team need to make a call what happens if the fella has to play, let's say, 10 league goals. I think as long as you can get away with not playing the top 6 sides, then you have to hope that whatever poorness that keeper has the team can make up.

i'd go with niemi. looking at the above it was probably unnecessary.

Originally posted by Daaaaave:

I'll jump on the bandwagon and say that as of this moment I'd prefer arshavin to villa or silva.

----------------------------------torres-------------------------------

---------babel----------------arshavin------------gerrard--------

would just be lovely.

i agree, liverpool needs another goal creator, not goal scorer, torres is lethal but doesnt get enoguh chances imo.

Originally posted by turn it upto 11:

yeah i didnt mean just arshaving, everyone is wetting themselves over a villa/torres partnership but its just euro hype, they played well together one game

Just Euro hype or the potential to have possibly the best 2 strikers in the world partnering each other up front?

REDS CLOSING ON DOSSENA DEAL

Jimmy Rice 26 June 2008

Liverpool Football Club expect to complete the signing of left-back Andrea Dossena next week, chief executive Rick Parry has confirmed.

A deal to bring the 26-year-old Udinese defender to Anfield is almost complete and is likely to be confirmed on the club's official website shortly.

Parry said: "We are now ready to confirm the signing of Dossena. The deal should go through next week after finalising the paperwork."

The full-back, who has one international cap to his name, will become the second new addition to Rafa Benitez's squad following the free transfer of Swiss defender Philipp Degen.

Dossena is seen as an ideal replacement for John Arne Riise, who departed for Serie A side Roma last week.

Parry continued: "John was an incredibly enthusiastic defender who was always a great pro.

"He worked hard and never gave us a minute's trouble. The fans will remember that powerful shot of his that brought them to their feet on many occasions.

"We had a good chat about his time here and he wants to thank the fans for the support he was given down the years. He secured Champions League and FA Cup success at Anfield and also helped us win the Worthington Cup and two European Super Cups."

icon_cool.gif

Originally posted by niggle:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

REDS CLOSING ON DOSSENA DEAL

Jimmy Rice 26 June 2008

Liverpool Football Club expect to complete the signing of left-back Andrea Dossena next week, chief executive Rick Parry has confirmed.

A deal to bring the 26-year-old Udinese defender to Anfield is almost complete and is likely to be confirmed on the club's official website shortly.

Parry said: "We are now ready to confirm the signing of Dossena. The deal should go through next week after finalising the paperwork."

The full-back, who has one international cap to his name, will become the second new addition to Rafa Benitez's squad following the free transfer of Swiss defender Philipp Degen.

Dossena is seen as an ideal replacement for John Arne Riise, who departed for Serie A side Roma last week.

Parry continued: "John was an incredibly enthusiastic defender who was always a great pro.

"He worked hard and never gave us a minute's trouble. The fans will remember that powerful shot of his that brought them to their feet on many occasions.

"We had a good chat about his time here and he wants to thank the fans for the support he was given down the years. He secured Champions League and FA Cup success at Anfield and also helped us win the Worthington Cup and two European Super Cups."

icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Finally, was meant to be completed weeks ago. icon_biggrin.gif

Anyone here seen him play? I feel more optimistic about him than Degen but that's without seeing him play.

Originally posted by BJG123:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by The Rafalution:

idiot

icon_frown.gif hope that was answering Cote Kid's question and not aimed at me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah it was

Originally posted by BJG123:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by turn it upto 11:

yeah i didnt mean just arshaving, everyone is wetting themselves over a villa/torres partnership but its just euro hype, they played well together one game

Just Euro hype or the potential to have possibly the best 2 strikers in the world partnering each other up front? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

im taking about the people who think they are an unstoppable force when playing together, im not doubting eithers ability, my point is liverpool would benefit more from a big moeny midfielder rather than another class striker.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BJG123:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by turn it upto 11:

Just Euro hype or the potential to have possibly the best 2 strikers in the world partnering each other up front? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

im taking about the people who think they are an unstoppable force when playing together, im not doubting eithers ability, my point is liverpool would benefit more from a big moeny midfielder rather than another class striker. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's not neccesarily true tbf. Buying Villa would negate the need for another midfielder to some extent, as you'd be playing with 4 in midfield. Personally I wouldn't sell Xabi Alonso, then Play him and Masch in the Middle, Gerrard on the right, then sign a Left winger. If Liverpool don't sign a striker they need to sign 2 wingers instead of 1 (and someone to replace Xabi in either scenario).

There are no wingers available who would be as effective in improving the team as Villa would be , in my humble opinion.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BJG123:

im taking about the people who think they are an unstoppable force when playing together, im not doubting eithers ability, my point is liverpool would benefit more from a big moeny midfielder rather than another class striker. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not sure how that opinion equates to him being an idiot. He may well be, but questioning the logic behind signing Villa does'nt make him one.

I am guessing "turn it upto 11" is another LSTB alias. Just a hunch I have.

In other news, we have signed a young 17 yr old Danish lad called Nikola Saric from Herfolge. They have said he is one of the best players they have had at their club ever. Going into the reserves first of all so we shall see how he develops icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by jep:

I am guessing "turn it upto 11" is another LSTB alias. Just a hunch I have.

In other news, we have signed a young 17 yr old Danish lad called Nikola Saric from Herfolge. They have said he is one of the best players they have had at their club ever. Going into the reserves first of all so we shall see how he develops icon_smile.gif

who is LSTB?

and i am entitled to my opinion too.

Antti Niemi currently out of the Fulham side because 86 year old Kasey Keller has taken his spot. Says it all. Can sign him for free and I wouldn't want him, he's been turd from years. No reflexes anymore, and that was 90% of his talent.

Would seriously rather keep Itandje than sign any of these layabouts we've been linked with.

First post in this godawful forum. Change it back SI.

Originally posted by the_cote_kid:

Not sure how that opinion equates to him being an idiot. He may well be, but questioning the logic behind signing Villa does'nt make him one. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

it was more directed at villa/torres being euro hype. if the euros werent on and we had been linked with villa there would have been exactly the same reaction

Originally posted by benkeat:

turn it upto 11 has said nothing idiotic, this is just rafalution trying to deflect attention from his own amateur opinions.

don't worry ben, i'm sure work on the new ground will stop, and torres will have to be solved and gillet and hicks will move us to manchester and all you're doom and gloom will come true. not that you care anymore of course.

Originally posted by EdBed:

Why don't people get that the club capt. isn't going to be very happy about being pushed out onto the right wing on a permanent basis?

because he wants to win the league and because with torres up top the wingers won't be expected to play nearly as wide as you're trying to make out? gerrard would play on the right as faithfully as ronaldinho plays on the left.

next strawman you want to drag up?

Originally posted by EdBed:

Why don't people get that the club capt. isn't going to be very happy about being pushed out onto the right wing on a permanent basis?

He's the captain, not the manager, he doesn't get to decide where he plays ffs. For me it'd be worth the risk of ****ing him off and signing Villa to partner Torres, if he doesn't get annoyed, then your laughing all the way to the top of the premiership, if he does kick up a fuss, sod him, take 25 million for him and be happy knowing you have the best two strikers in the world up front.

Originally posted by The Rafalution:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by benkeat:

turn it upto 11 has said nothing idiotic, this is just rafalution trying to deflect attention from his own amateur opinions.

don't worry ben, i'm sure work on the new ground will stop, and torres will have to be solved and gillet and hicks will move us to manchester and all you're doom and gloom will come true. not that you care anymore of course. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

haha like work on the ground has actually started.

Originally posted by Daaaaave:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by EdBed:

because he wants to win the league and because with torres up top the wingers won't be expected to play nearly as wide as you're trying to make out? gerrard would play on the right as faithfully as ronaldinho plays on the left.

next strawman you want to drag up? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll acknowlage the only reasonably thought out answer.

Only with the system at its norrowest would he be as central as he liked. Torres is also less effective when asked to provide the width.

Gerrard would play out there but he would not be happy about it, and as club captain his mood would transfer itself to enough of the squad to impact performance. He would believe that winning the league and playing through the middle are not exclusive to each other.

Archived