Football Manager Handheld 2010 for iPod Touch/iPhone Announced

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My game froze for the first time earlier, was in the middle of a match I think.

Also seen a few strange moments in 2D, like players dribbling across the area with a defender following them, or players standing in the area doing what looks like nothing at all (perhaps you could say the striker is holding off the defender though, but it does go on too long and isn't really a key highlight).

On the player positions screen, could you update the colours to match the PC game? So green is natural, a slightly darker (or is it lighter, can't remember) shade of green is accomplished, a bit darker is competent etc. This changed between FM 10 and 09 so the "greener" the circle was the more natural they were, going down to yellow, then orange and finally red. Currently it's using the FM 09 style which was a bit random.

One question - are PPMs used in this? Nicky Bailey gets forward from midfield for me, and Semedo never does. Is this Bailey's 'get into opposition area' and 'arrives late in opposition area' PPMs kicking in, or does the game somehow set the more attacking MC to get forward more, and the defensive one to sit back, whichever way around you put them (one in MC right and MC left)?

Marc - Just a quick suggestion after playing the game for a day, when selecting the starting line up on match day, is it possible to have the fixture at the top of the screen, as sometimes I have loaded the game on this page and I have to go through about 4 menus to find out the 'fixture' that I am picking my team for. Maybe just a "Vs Arsenal" or something like that written at the top so that we know who we are facing without having to go through the menus to find out

Is this something worth doing, are other people wanting this too? Or is it just me?

Great game, I love it

For those of you struggling with the fiddly team selection screen, I've found it easier if you display the formation alongside the squad list, you can then scroll up and down the list by dragging up and down on the pitch, rather than the tiny scroll bar or the players names themselves. Because there is nothing selectable on the pitch display on the right hand side, it means you dont accidentally select players, scroll the wrong way, etc....

• SI Staff
Marc - Just a quick suggestion after playing the game for a day, when selecting the starting line up on match day, is it possible to have the fixture at the top of the screen, as sometimes I have loaded the game on this page and I have to go through about 4 menus to find out the 'fixture' that I am picking my team for. Maybe just a "Vs Arsenal" or something like that written at the top so that we know who we are facing without having to go through the menus to find out

Is this something worth doing, are other people wanting this too? Or is it just me?

Seems a reasonable suggestion - although it might have to wait until the 2nd update as I want to hit 'critical' issues in the first one (just so you're forewarned).

• SI Staff
the iPhone version of FM could end up making more money for SI/Sega than the PC version does.... it's already the top grossing app in the UK app store...

Hopefully that means even more funds to plough into the development of the PC version...

Ignoring funds/cash - I sincerely believe that doing multiple games helps all of SI's products through cross-pollination of ideas, quite frequently in the past ideas have flowed from one game to another and having smaller more 'fun' games like the FMH family allows us to try out some of our more radical ideas without scaring PC users too much ;)

Ignoring funds/cash - I sincerely believe that doing multiple games helps all of SI's products through cross-pollination of ideas, quite frequently in the past ideas have flowed from one game to another and having smaller more 'fun' games like the FMH family allows us to try out some of our more radical ideas without scaring PC users too much ;)

couldn't agree more...

Which should be a good reason for also releasing it for Android?

• SI Staff
Which should be a good reason for also releasing it for Android?

Feel free to start a thread petitioning for it if you want - but as I've indicated elsewhere there are no plans to support other phones at present.

Marc dont forget the picture background request ;)

Used to do it ages ago i think, it depended on who you were playing it would have a screenshot of the stadium in the background with the commentary over it, just adds to the authenticity, rather than the generic green background.

Dunno how hard or memory intensive it is to have a lo res jpeg in there.

• SI Staff
Marc dont forget the picture background request ;)

Used to do it ages ago i think, it depended on who you were playing it would have a screenshot of the stadium in the background with the commentary over it, just adds to the authenticity, rather than the generic green background.

Dunno how hard or memory intensive it is to have a lo res jpeg in there.

We'll consider changing the style of the skins in due course - please be aware though that the stadium backgrounds stopped being used for legal reasons rather than because we wanted to (so we won't be able to use the 'real' stadiums if we went that route) ... I always loved them myself and was gutted when we had to remove them :( ...

I'd just like to eat a bit of humble pie. I was quite 'gobby' about this being a waste of time. However I find myself with a few annoying journeys and work trips coming up where I may not have access to my laptop the whole time. So I took a punt on this after seeing some favourable reviews. I've literally only just downloaded and had a mess about, not got anywhere near playing a game yet but first impressions are that it is very slick and the UI is very intuitive. Maybe this was my issue with the PSP version and now that I can physically touch objects and make stuff happens it just seems nicer.

So credit where it is due, although as I haven't played a game yet I do reserve the right to come back on here and moan again, however I feel it is unlikely. Well done SI.

EDIT: also just wondering, is this the 'secret' thing that Ian Holloway was talking about in the Metro a few weeks back? If not what else do you have up your sleeves?

• SI Staff
I'd just like to eat a bit of humble pie. I was quite 'gobby' about this being a waste of time. However I find myself with a few annoying journeys and work trips coming up where I may not have access to my laptop the whole time. So I took a punt on this after seeing some favourable reviews. I've literally only just downloaded and had a mess about, not got anywhere near playing a game yet but first impressions are that it is very slick and the UI is very intuitive. Maybe this was my issue with the PSP version and now that I can physically touch objects and make stuff happens it just seems nicer.

So credit where it is due, although as I haven't played a game yet I do reserve the right to come back on here and moan again, however I feel it is unlikely. Well done SI.

No worries mate - just glad you're enjoying the game now :D

• SI Staff
I know it's very early, but just out of interest, how long would it be until Update 1?

As I said, I'm just curious :)

I'll be looking at getting one out relatively promptly to knock out any initial teething issues with the game which people might have - that being said it'll likely be a few 'weeks' rather than 'days' as I want to ensure we've collated the bulk of any database tweaks (missing players and suchlike) which people might request.

(as you may have noticed in the past I'm 'leery' of fixing on a specific date for updates, simply put I don't want to upset people by publicly stating the plans as they have to be flexible just in case something unexpected comes up and forces us to change things around)

RE: Transfer budgets

For those of you who have noticed that some clubs have very small transfer budgets in the game - this is a quickstart-only issue and one we're working on fixing as a priority for a future update.

If you've already started a game using quickstarts then the budgets should return to normal in the second season. If you've not started a game yet, go to [Preferences] and set 'Quickstarts' to 'No' - you should find that the starting budgets in the game are now much more realistic!

I apologise for this in advance, SI chaps.

Possibly the tiniest and least worrying bug in the game. So tiny, it barely qualifies.

That I spotted this says a lot about my petty mind...

But:

In the text commentary, please can you change it from "withheld the pressure" to "withstand [or withstood] the pressure"? (You can't withhold pressure; you can withstand it.)

• SI Staff
Like I say, credit where it is due.

Any chance you can answer the question I edited into my previous post?

The 'mystery' thing - tbh I don't know the answer so can't comment upon it ... sorry.

• SI Staff
IIn the text commentary, please can you change it from "withheld the pressure" to "withstand [or withstood] the pressure"? (You can't withhold pressure; you can withstand it.)

Its now on the list - admittedly somewhere down the bottom, but I'll get to it eventually :D

Cheers for that mate, glad I'm not alone with this issue but sadly it's not usually me doing the scoring! hehe

Marc - any ideas on this please mate? & outstanding work, much appreciated!

I've also noticed that problem a few times. It happened a few times when I very first started playing then seemed to clear up but has done it a couple of times in my last few games.

It's weird, the 2D view comes up, the first few frames of the animation play and then it just stops for about 5-10 seconds then returns to the text view - usually with a goal being scored (but not always).

I have only noticed this in the zoomed in 2D view so far but haven't used the zoomed out view as much.

I'm playing on a 16GB iPhone 3GS.

RE: Transfer budgets

For those of you who have noticed that some clubs have very small transfer budgets in the game - this is a quickstart-only issue and one we're working on fixing as a priority for a future update.

If you've already started a game using quickstarts then the budgets should return to normal in the second season. If you've not started a game yet, go to [Preferences] and set 'Quickstarts' to 'No' - you should find that the starting budgets in the game are now much more realistic!

I wondered why I started with only £1.9m with AC Milan! Made me laugh when the board told me their expectations for the season was to challenge on all fronts and they were going to give me £1.9m to do this with! :D

Great achievement guys, thanks for the game, been playing FM/CM in some form since first incarnation.

Best iphone game I have by a country mile. Feedback in order of importance :

1) Attribute search - this would make a great difference

2) Match engine jerky and cuts to goal often, a bit annoying, and detracts from experience. I've got a 3GS and have rebooted.

3) Ability to adjust wage/transfer fee woulfd be great. A lower league level I never pay transfer fees so goes to waste, and I desparately need the wages!

4) Software developer in me want to know if there is any way to back up my save game ?

• SI Staff
Great achievement guys, thanks for the game, been playing FM/CM in some form since first incarnation.

Thanks for the kind words - glad you're enjoying it :D

1) Attribute search - this would make a great difference

This is something which I'll look to introduce at some point as a few people have asked for it now, although initially I'll obviously be concentrating on fixing any glitches before adding features and suchlike (so please be patient with me).

2) Match engine jerky and cuts to goal often, a bit annoying, and detracts from experience. I've got a 3GS and have rebooted.

I'm trying to track this down - some people seem to have this happen a lot whereas many never see it, I'll keep on it until its sorted though.

3) Ability to adjust wage/transfer fee woulfd be great. A lower league level I never pay transfer fees so goes to waste, and I desparately need the wages!

As with point '1' this will get introduced at some point I'm sure.

4) Software developer in me want to know if there is any way to back up my save game ?

I'm afraid the iPhone is a 'locked' device so this isn't really possible at present sorry.

Just bought it! - Absolutely LOVE it! - sure it is very simple, but lots of fun and even playable in the toilet! :D

btw - develop it in ELIPS/Flex - it'll compile it into native code for all platforms (symbian, android, Iphone OS, Windows Mobile.. etc..) ;) - Actionscript is Turing-complete so there is NO excuse :D

My new hobby: Listening to Slash's new album while playing FM on my Iphone.. absolutely brilliant!

Just wanted to say how much i love this game, although i don't think my manager does! Most of the "issues" i've noticed have already been mentioned so i won't mention them again, but just wanted to post to say how great this game is, easily worth the money.

Am liking the game - top job guys. The quick start issue makes a hell of a difference, was wondering why teams had more money when i didn't manage them.

Agree on attribute searches and have had the 2D freeze prior to a goal, some extra balls/players sort of appear on the pitch and e.g. a winger and fullback move forward and back for ages with nothing happening before it switches back to teh text with a goal announcement.

Nice to be on here to take my mind off the result. My Mugabe media lockdown doesn't need to stretch to this part of the SI site!

• SI Staff
Marc,

is there any reason why my team, North Qld fury, everytime i try to buy a player my board request we can only have him if hes a free transfer, and it happens every time. Do i need to sell players first?

North Queensland Fury start off with no transfer budget at all so you'll have to raise some funds by selling players if you're to bring in anyone for cash.

PS - You can find your transfer information (and wage budget etc.) under the club info section.

Hello, congrats on a great game. A few things, currently I have found a few missing players, Daniel Jones, from wolves on loan to bristol rovers,, and mikkel anderson, from reading on loan to bristol rovers, alos paul heffernan isnt on loan at rovers either :/ Another idea is the live league table and the cup grid during games.

EDIT: Found the live league table :D

Just another small pain, whenever i have the live league table up and my team is lower in the league than that of which is being shown, i scroll down only to find that when the next highlight comes on the league table is back upp at the top :/

I would also like to see the game more realistic for the lower leagues, a player not in favour would sell for nothing, not 10k or even a player that plays some games then some not, he costs 24k on the game but in real life would cost nothing. Also lower league players would defo go to another league club especially if the club is higher in leagues which isnt relfected on the game

EDIT: Another thing that fustrates me is that a lower league player, how ever fast he may be always seems to be like 11 pace, Andrew williams for example, our ST, he is very quick and strong but this isnt reflected in the game , pace 11 ????? This is not a fair relection, someone in the premier league with the same speed would be about 17pace

• SI Staff
EDIT: Found the live league table :D

Just another small pain, whenever i have the live league table up and my team is lower in the league than that of which is being shown, i scroll down only to find that when the next highlight comes on the league table is back upp at the top :/

Thanks for the suggestion, very valid point and something to rectify imho.

• SI Staff
I would also like to see the game more realistic for the lower leagues, a player not in favour would sell for nothing, not 10k or even a player that plays some games then some not, he costs 24k on the game but in real life would cost nothing. Also lower league players would defo go to another league club especially if the club is higher in leagues which isnt relfected on the game

I'll check into this - however please bear in mind if a club has a small squad they will tend to try and hang onto their players unless they have a replacement in sight already ..

EDIT: Another thing that fustrates me is that a lower league player, how ever fast he may be always seems to be like 11 pace, Andrew williams for example, our ST, he is very quick and strong but this isnt reflected in the game , pace 11 ????? This is not a fair relection, someone in the premier league with the same speed would be about 17pace

I'll double check into this also - interestingly however physical stats in FMH ARENT linked to ability like they are in FM PC so you shouldn't see any limitation on such things in the lower divisions.

• SI Staff
Thanks guys for putting this on the iPod/iPhone are the PAs and CAs the same as the PC?

The database is derived directly from the FM PC one so yes, its taken from the most up to date FM PC database version possible.

Yes, it weird always for my team that i have noticed, our fast strikers or wingers, never have a high attribute, the highest was 16 and he was lightening but others justget like 12 which is like 3 more than our slow CB which doesnt add up

• SI Staff
Assist bonuses need removing, they were taken out the PC game because (someone at SI said) they don't actually exist.

I've left them in FMH on purpose because they allow you to adjust a players greediness in front of goal somewhat (which mitigates some of the limitations on the tactical side of things) - give him a huge goal bonus and they'll become more selfish, give a huge assist bonus and they'll become less selfish etc.

Probably a silly one, but how about being able to see future transfers in, or have I missed this?

Also I am guessing you have looked at the goals scored in a game being hidden behind text when you score more than 4?

Finally - thanks for making a 5 hour train journey much easier! AMAZING game.

I did see mentions of controlling music via app for future release, yes please and how about posting scores etc to facebook or twitter?

I.E... boast about your thrashing of local rivals! :-D

Archived