Football Manager Handheld 2010 for iPod Touch/iPhone Announced

• SI Staff
US based here (with an AT&T iPhone) and an iTunes n00b.

Am I able to download and buy from the UK iTunes link above, and will it work ok?

If you manage to mess around and convince it you're in the UK then yeah it'd work fine - but tbh it'll be out in America in a few hours time if you're patient ... if it helps I'm twitching madly in anticipation here also ;)

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you manage to mess around and convince it you're in the UK then yeah it'd work fine - but tbh it'll be out in America in a few hours time if you're patient ... if it helps I'm twitching madly in anticipation here also ;)

I would of thought as the developer you would already have a copy? or are you just waiting to see how well it sells? Anyway great game :)

Lost my first match. Disgusting, I want my money back ;)

Seems a decent enough distraction at first play up to and through a game, sure it'll be decent enough. Especially when I work out how to change my formation ;)

EDIT: Found it!

• SI Staff
I would of thought as the developer you would already have a copy? or are you just waiting to see how well it sells? Anyway great game :)

Heh - I've a copy no worries on that front, just waiting patiently to make sure it gets released ok in all the various countries stores etc. .... I'm notoriously nervous before one of my games comes out, over a decade doing this and I'm still like a kid at christmas when it comes to release time ;)

PS - As per usual please post suggestions/criticisms/whatever either to these forums or to me personally at marc.vaughan[AT]sigames.com ... all feedback greatfully received and will be used to guide the development of future updates of the game.

US based here (with an AT&T iPhone) and an iTunes n00b.

Am I able to download and buy from the UK iTunes link above, and will it work ok?

You'll need to wait for the US version to come out on midnight US time Ben. Unless of course you have a UK credit card :)

• SI Staff
When should we expect to see this on the Android market ?

There are no plans to release the game on other phone OS's at present, sorry (should this change we'll obviously let you know in due course).

Ok, got mine installed.

First impressions :

Game start

Lovely splash screen and really fast game setup time. A minor bug bear here (And its only minor) is that when you go through the process to choose which club you are etc etc, you can't go back and change your choice without canceling the whole process and starting again.

Splash screen

Looks fantastic, love the skin and the way things are laid out. Really does remind me a lot of CM3 :thup:

Scouting

Interesting set up. Out of interest is the 'Youth' checkbox for players under 21, 18 or 23? Depending on which version of the FM games you use it could be any of those 3. I'm personally guessing its u21 but certainly needs clarification maybe..

Other than that whenever you click the 'youth' checkbox it always removes the scouting region. Only a minor annoyance.

Player search

Again nice layout. Can't help but thinking a scroll option as apposed to the pages approach would be infinitely better there, certainly a nice selection of players however and its all extremely simple and obvious on how to use it.

(Having double checked, it seems swiping from left to right scrolls through the pages which is actually quite helpful. A proper scrollbar that goes up / down would be much better in my opinion though still)

Other than that I wouldn't have 'Current budget' label somewhere as that's just something I've been used to on that page throughout the CM / FM series. Not sure where it could go though unless of course the scrolling option was added.

Approaching players

Really nice and simple, anyone with even a remote knowledge of a previous FM / CM game would easily be able to use this :thup:

Squad overview page / Tactics

That layout's a blast from the past! :D Works extremely well, by far the best layout / usability I've seen on something this small for what's required.

News page

Again a lovely CM3 feel. I have to agree I also think that being able to select the mentioned players / teams / competitions within the mail is a feature that's needed, as I found myself wanting to click them as apposed to having to use the bottom right hand links option. At very least I think should be a preferences option :)

Match day / Match experience

Absolutely fantastic. the match engine is one hell of a lot better than I could've hoped. Such things as the 'Match stats' page using the bars underneath the stats are seriously lovely little additions as well.

Making a substitue however isn't as easy as I'd hoped. For whatever reason you cannot pull the whole of the right hand side bar from the right to the left, you have to select the subs name, which sometimes if its a particually short name can be quite difficult. If possible being able to move the whole bar will make it one hell of a lot easier, or if that's not possible some form of 'checkbox' on each segment to confirm a sub would be very easy and actually a lot more obvious / in keeping with the rest of the game.

.. I'll do some more comments as they come up, but I've played through quite a few games already now and I must say its really fantastic. Exactly the kind of 'pick up and play' game I hoped it would be.

I keep getting a message saying "Warning: System is running low on memory. Please save your game and reboot your device before relaunching". What does it mean?

I only have the original 8gb iPhone with half a GB spare in memory. Is this the problem? The thing is, I can just say 'Ok' when this message comes up and it'll let me play the game :-S

It's just a little annoying always coming up.

• SI Staff
I keep getting a message saying "Warning: System is running low on memory. Please save your game and reboot your device before relaunching". What does it mean?

I only have the original 8gb iPhone with half a GB spare in memory. Is this the problem? The thing is, I can just say 'Ok' when this message comes up and it'll let me play the game :-S

It's just a little annoying always coming up.

This comes up if your system hasn't been rebooted in a long while and has extremely fragmented memory (meaning it can't find enough spare to run the game properly).

In the main when it occurs the application triggers some OS housekeeping which will usually allow you to continue - however obviously it IS advisable to fully reboot your device to clear up memory fully if it happens (to do this power down totally and then power back up again).

Hope this helps,

Marc

• SI Staff
Amazing! Just a little thing, I can demote players but I have yet to find the reserve squad. Also, you cannot filter stats so I to traul through pages to find specific players.

Nice job though and a brilliant game like FMH.

Reserve squad - go to the club info page and you'll find a link to the reserve team there.

• SI Staff
Interesting set up. Out of interest is the 'Youth' checkbox for players under 21, 18 or 23? Depending on which version of the FM games you use it could be any of those 3. I'm personally guessing its u21 but certainly needs clarification maybe..

Its 23 or under as per CM3.

what a great surprise! fm 2010 in ipod touch with portuguese league in it! :eek: wow..nice i hope to see in a future update the portuguese language too ;),please, many thanks to sports interactive and sega! well done :thup:

• SI Staff
David Bentley isn't in the game...?!

He should definitely be present - if he isn't then apologies it'll get rectified in an update.

Also how do i swap players around after a formation change?

Drag a player name over another player and release it'll swap the two players around (or click on a players position icon and it'll take you to a page where you can select a new position for them to be placed in*).

*Most selection areas have both methods available so people who don't like the drag and drop can avoid it and vice versa.

• SI Staff
I have to say I've just tried searching (At length) for Bentley as well and I honestly couldn't find him either (I'm Bristol City so he should be viewable)

I'll make sure this oversight is rectified in the first update (I can't see him on my present dev build but its possible mine differs slightly from the release version* so I've asked QA to verify issue this tomorrow morning) - obviously if anyone spots any other missing players please email me (marc.vaughan[AT]sigames.com) and we'll make sure they're dealt with also.

*Still not out in the US store here yet :(;)

Just downloaded it.

First impressions.

Nice interface until you try using the tactics/squad selection screen.

Match engine looks good, the player search and scouting is good. The setting of formations, tactics and training is good.

Just the squad selection screen is terrible, and for this alone I feel like I've wasted £7.

A patch is required to improve this element of the game.

• SI Staff

Nice interface until you try using the tactics/squad selection screen.

Just the squad selection screen is terrible, and for this alone I feel like I've wasted £7.

With squad selection I find generally people either like the view with the pitch and dragging players onto that to select them or the alternative 'click' on the players position button to select them.

Generally I tend to select a team using the assistant as generally what I want is roughly based around a sane ideal wand then tweak it using the position selection method (I've very large stubby fingers and prefer that method of selection as its more 'precise' than drag and drop if you've large fingers imho).

What aspects of the selection are you finding trouble some? - if you dislike one of the selection methods available have you tried the other one?

PS - If you have tried both and are still not happy please feel free to post suggestions as to how it could be improved from your perspective ...

• SI Staff
Will it be available (eventually) in other stores than the British one?

It should be available world wide pretty much eventually (exception being Germany where I believe there are licencing issues).

Just downloaded in the US! Slightly disappointed that MLS isn't included, and I'd love an option to manage a national team, but other than that, everything looks great! The interface is user-friendly, and my first couple of games with Arsenal have been great.

Couple minor suggestions:

on the squad selection screen, with pitch visible, it'd be nice to be able to drag/drop lineups on the pitch or to click on a player on the pitch to bring up the profile.

on the player search screen, maybe it's just me, but I'd like to be able to scroll through the players with my fingers as opposed to clicking on the "Page 1/465" arrows.

Two questions:

On the game configuration page, what is the Fog of War option?

Is there a way to turn off the transfer budget at the beginning of the season like in the PC version? If there is, I couldn't find it.

Overall, great job and I'm really happy with the iPhone version!

• SI Staff
Just downloaded in the US! Slightly disappointed that MLS isn't included, and I'd love an option to manage a national team, but other than that, everything looks great! The interface is user-friendly, and my first couple of games with Arsenal have been great.

Glad you're enjoying it - incidentally you CAN manage a national side BUT you have to unlock the priviledge of accessing that from the start of the game, its not something which comes free.

on the squad selection screen, with pitch visible, it'd be nice to be able to drag/drop lineups on the pitch or to click on a player on the pitch to bring up the profile.

Thanks for the feedback they're options I'll consider as the game evolved.

on the player search screen, maybe it's just me, but I'd like to be able to scroll through the players with my fingers as opposed to clicking on the "Page 1/465" arrows.

The problem with that is purely that if you have potentially 3000 players in a scrollable list then moving up and down it is either tediously slow going or its so fast its impossible to monitor.

With swiping left/right I find generally you can get through the players in the list fairly quickly - especially as in general I find people filter the list so they're most interested in the first 'x' pages of it really.

Would it perhaps help though if I made the menu heading act as sort options (so if you were most interested in players with one item being high/low you could bring them to the top?).

On the game configuration page, what is the Fog of War option?

Fog of War is my pet name for then attributes are hidden to simulate your 'realistic' knowledge of the game database for certain players, if you scout the player or play against him in a match then the hidden attributes will be revealed.

(I think its now called 'attribute masking' in the PC game, but I still prefer fog of war myself its what we called it when it was first brought in back in the days of CM01-02 ;) )

Is there a way to turn off the transfer budget at the beginning of the season like in the PC version? If there is, I couldn't find it.

There isn't I'm afraid.

Overall, great job and I'm really happy with the iPhone version!

Thanks for the kind words and useful feedback - very much appreciated :D

Thanks for the quick response. I already know I won't be sleeping tonight, so I might as well throw out another suggestion. I really like the ability to swipe left/right to view different screens for each player. Any chance to use an up/down swipe to go to the same screen for the next player on the team?

I'm suddenly looking forward to going to work today - well, being on the bus to work at least anyway.

My new iPhone arrived yesterday, so it couldn't have been timed any better. I dedicate this purchase to the time Marc Vaughan's keeper scored against me in FML from inside his own penalty box :D

I've not seen my earlier query answered yet though - is there any editing capability?

Hey marc/miles

not sure if it's been mentioned but it only shows up in the app store if you search for "fm". If you search for "football" or "football manager" nothing shows up

this could hurt your sales?

edit: also how do i filter the player search list by attribute (ie show only where heading >10 etc)

Downloaded the game this morning and (bar one crash when switching from direct to mixed play in the tactics screen) it's looking very, very good. Kudos to all involved.

One question though, I can't find Chris Smalling - should be at Fulham with a transfer to Man Utd scheduled for the Summer. As Fulham manager, I was hoping to bank the transfer fee :-)

This comes up if your system hasn't been rebooted in a long while and has extremely fragmented memory (meaning it can't find enough spare to run the game properly).

In the main when it occurs the application triggers some OS housekeeping which will usually allow you to continue - however obviously it IS advisable to fully reboot your device to clear up memory fully if it happens (to do this power down totally and then power back up again).

Hope this helps,

Marc

Cheers Marc.

It looks awesome, congrats.

:D

Loving it so far, just a minor thing that isn't really anything to do with the game

Is there anyway in a future update you could include the real time off the iPhone? I'm sure theres alot of other people like me who use their phone for the time, I haven't had a watch since phones started displaying the time. This morning for example I was playing it before setting off for work and lost track of time and was late :D

One thing I'm curious about is the omission of player instructions. In the iTunes blurb they're claimed to be in - http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/football-manager-handheld/id364658388?mt=8 - but I can't find them anywhere in the game. Planned feature cut or has their presence just been assumed by whoever wrote that? Or am I a fool who cannot see something which is staring me in the face?

Thanks for the quick response. I already know I won't be sleeping tonight, so I might as well throw out another suggestion. I really like the ability to swipe left/right to view different screens for each player. Any chance to use an up/down swipe to go to the same screen for the next player on the team?

I think this is an excellent suggestion! :)

I also read in one of the reviews that if a formation is changed all other tactical settings are reset? If this is the case then I think that should be changed. The review referred to a scenario where you want to change thing during a match and having to reallocate everything would be a pain.

EDIT: I just read through the PSP FMH2011 suggestions thread, are any of the mentioned fixes included in the iPhone's FMH2010?

Just had another go on this, and unfortunately i think the player search is completely broken. Unless I am doing something stupid, it seems you cant even sort by any of the fields which are on view? You can't view by attribute (ie see all players attacking/defensive/mental skills). You can't search for attributes either? You can't compare players I dont think?

Real shame, because the rest of the game plays brilliantly, but I don't have the patience to click on each one of 500odd strikers to see which one i want, plus i cant remember the stats of the previous ones!

The PSP version has this functionality i think?

I still can't figure out how to change formation lol - liking it so far though. First game: a 3-0 friendly win for the Blades over Bristol Rovers.

Did almost miss my bus stop however. :D

Club > Tactics > Bottom Right Corner > formation Selection

With squad selection I find generally people either like the view with the pitch and dragging players onto that to select them or the alternative 'click' on the players position button to select them.

Generally I tend to select a team using the assistant as generally what I want is roughly based around a sane ideal wand then tweak it using the position selection method (I've very large stubby fingers and prefer that method of selection as its more 'precise' than drag and drop if you've large fingers imho).

What aspects of the selection are you finding trouble some? - if you dislike one of the selection methods available have you tried the other one?

PS - If you have tried both and are still not happy please feel free to post suggestions as to how it could be improved from your perspective ...

Just figured out how to select squad, it is not very clear and a tutorial would be good. I cannot drag players into relative positions on the pitch, this would be a nice option.

When players are mentioned in news items it would be good to be able to click on them to take you to their screen, this could apply to team,league, manager etc.

Archived