Football Manager Handheld 2010 for iPod Touch/iPhone Announced

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Admins can but its not something anyone particularly makes a habit of tbh.

Aha yea its deleted… as I mentioned in my post how the game is not close to the fm standards and I wished that they released a demo, because the only reasons for me to buy the game were my great experience with fm and miles post of saying that it worth every penny.

• SI Staff
Aha yea its deleted… as I mentioned in my post how the game is not close to the fm standards and I wished that they released a demo, because the only reasons for me to buy the game were my great experience with fm and miles post of saying that it worth every penny.

Everyone is welcome to their own opinion of any of our products - all I request is that people try and post constructively with regards to them.

Indicating that you don't like something isn't as helpful as indicating 'why' that is - if you say why then we can either explain why we developed something in that manner (ie. sorry but its intentional and not changing) or take your views into consideration when evolving a product.

PS - FMHi ISNT meant to be the full FM PC game and is developed to be a faster and more 'fun' experience while retaining a feeling of realism, I'm aware that some people want the full FM PC experience - but I personally don't think it suits the device and it isn't what FMHi is meant to be at all, on the iPhone people frequently only have 5-10 minutes in which to play, on FM PC that'd be no time at all ... on FMHi thats time enough to get in a couple of matches :D

The 'pick up and play' aspect of the iPhone version is great, I am nearing the end of my second season and have played a lot of that in the car after arriving early for uni!

I agree. It's nice to have a simplistic version.

• SI Staff
Having big problems scoring goals as man utd, tried just about everything. Has anybody got any ideas why. Game Glitch or just my poor management?

What tactic are you using? - strangely despite my missus supporting Man City I've been using Utd in testing recently and found a 4-3-3 worked a treat with them, although Rooney kept getting injured which didn't particularly help :(

First of all, great game. Didnt think id come accross such a good game on the iPhone, so well done.

Here are my moans:

Players such as Torres/Tevez etc being 6 star players when you sign them, only to be relegated to 3 stars within half a season and to go from the best forward in the side to the 5th or 6th best forward when you've spent £30mil+ on them is very, very silly. Fair enough if they were 33 or something, but this happened to Torres at 29 and Tevez at 30.

Another thing is you'll scout for players and the scout will come back and tell you that you have to sign such and such a player and he has 7 stars as a potential rating. Great, you sign them for £15mil+ sometimes and within a season there potential goes to 3 stars and never rises. If this happened once or twice, then fine. But it happens 3/4 out of 5 sometimes. Very frustrating.

Where do I find my reserve players? Cant seem to find them.

Selling players - I've found the only way to sell players is to offer them at really, really low prices. And these arent terrible players, they are players that are good enough for most PL sides, but they are really hard to sell. To a point where you will offer them at £250k.

Thats my take. Other than those things, great game.

One thing i'd like is to be able to save selections. It can be quite annoying selecting a whole new squad for the carling cup and then changing it all back for a league or CL game.

Glassy

• SI Staff
Players such as Torres/Tevez etc being 6 star players when you sign them, only to be relegated to 3 stars within half a season and to go from the best forward in the side to the 5th or 6th best forward when you've spent £30mil+ on them is very, very silly. Fair enough if they were 33 or something, but this happened to Torres at 29 and Tevez at 30.

Fixed in the forthcoming update 2.

Selling players - I've found the only way to sell players is to offer them at really, really low prices. And these arent terrible players, they are players that are good enough for most PL sides, but they are really hard to sell. To a point where you will offer them at £250k.

Try negotiating things up - sometimes works, otherwise you'll have to be patient I'm afraid ... there are certain points in a season when selling a player is easiest (early in the summer when teams get their cash or just after they've sold someone and thus have cash in hand etc.).

Also bear in mind that excessive wages on the behalf of the player you're off-loading will dissuade offers because clubs will realise that the player will expect high wages again from his new club (hence you might have to accept a lesser offer or be patient).

Fixed in the forthcoming update 2.

Try negotiating things up - sometimes works, otherwise you'll have to be patient I'm afraid ... there are certain points in a season when selling a player is easiest (early in the summer when teams get their cash or just after they've sold someone and thus have cash in hand etc.).

Also bear in mind that excessive wages on the behalf of the player you're off-loading will dissuade offers because clubs will realise that the player will expect high wages again from his new club (hence you might have to accept a lesser offer or be patient).

Thanks Marc. What about the youngsters potential ability going from 6/7 stars to 2/3 in one season?

Also will there be an option to save selections.

Cheers for your reply.

• SI Staff
Thanks Marc. What about the youngsters potential ability going from 6/7 stars to 2/3 in one season?

I think this will be covered by the other fix - but will double check this later today.

Also will there be an option to save selections.

No not in update 2 - but its an interesting idea and if I can think of a simple UI setup for it I'll consider it for a subsequent update ...

• SI Staff
any info on when the next update will be out?

Within the next few weeks, but I'm loathe to give exact dates as completing the QA process isn't something which is wholly predictable (if it fails for some reason it could delay things and I don't want to potentially disappoint people by giving out a date which isn't stuck to).

Hi Marc,

Sorry to be a best. Another bug I spotted. Sorry if its been brough up already.

I often have players upset aboout another player that no longer plays for the club. I had 3 players that didnt like Alan Hutton at Spurs for 2 seasons after I sold them. Fair enough not like someone while they are there, but it should be gone after they've left. Unless Hutton was sending him hate mail! ; )

Glassy

Surely a better mobile app would be on that allows you to play a game from your PC remotely?

Processing left to the PC, meaning the mobile only has to worry about graphics processing, kinda like a remote desktop. If I understand the way the match engine works, each match is already fully processed when you kick off, so there wouldn't be any problems with lag during a game, other than maybe a pause when changes are made and data is transmitted back and forth.

I would love that app INFINITELY more than a limited FM game struggling to be run by my mobile.

• SI Staff
Surely a better mobile app would be on that allows you to play a game from your PC remotely?

FM PC really doesn't suit a handheld device I'm afraid imho - the PC game is fantastic BUT requires you to dedicate a large part of your time to it whereas most people playing games on an iPhone only play in short 'blasts'.

This is why we chose to develop a management sim for the iPhone which is realistic but faster and a little simpler to play.

I'm aware it won't appeal to everyone and there will always be people for whom FM PC is the only choice (much as there will also be people who prefer FMHi and think FM PC is too complicated/slow ;) ), unfortunately its impossible to please everyone all of the time.

If you haven't already though I'd recommend you give FMHi a chance - you might be surprised at the depth and complexity in it ...

FM PC really doesn't suit a handheld device I'm afraid imho - the PC game is fantastic BUT requires you to dedicate a large part of your time to it whereas most people playing games on an iPhone only play in short 'blasts'.

This is why we chose to develop a management sim for the iPhone which is realistic but faster and a little simpler to play.

I'm aware it won't appeal to everyone and there will always be people for whom FM PC is the only choice (much as there will also be people who prefer FMHi and think FM PC is too complicated/slow ;) ), unfortunately its impossible to please everyone all of the time.

If you haven't already though I'd recommend you give FMHi a chance - you might be surprised at the depth and complexity in it ...

It might take some time to get used to it but after a while it draws you into its little world. And, if you pay attention to the details it offers, a season still can take some time. I'm short of finishing my second season and have to say it's addictive. It even renewed my interest in FM 10 PC/Mac in that I try to apply my player knowledge I gained from FMHi to a career save there.

I think you're missing the point of the app I'm suggesting. The idea would be that you only play a short blast of your PC game remotely when you have the time on a commute or something. I think it would be pretty cool to be able to advance a week, or a get a couple of matches played whilst I'm on the train to/from work, or on my lunch break.

Always being able to play your home PC save, no matter where you are... that's the real future IMHO. Even a slim PC client to connect to your home PC and play your own save from any other PC in the world would be fantastic.

My thought was always to have an app which let you fiddle with training and tactics on the move before uploading it to the game. I mean edit your PC game settings on the move then upload them when you get home.

• SI Staff
I think you're missing the point of the app I'm suggesting. The idea would be that you only play a short blast of your PC game remotely when you have the time on a commute or something. I think it would be pretty cool to be able to advance a week, or a get a couple of matches played whilst I'm on the train to/from work, or on my lunch break.

Always being able to play your home PC save, no matter where you are... that's the real future IMHO. Even a slim PC client to connect to your home PC and play your own save from any other PC in the world would be fantastic.

I understand what you're asking for - I'm just trying to explain why we developed the game we did and why I don't think your suggestion is viable tbh; for instance - exactly how would the UI operate for you interacting with FM PC remotely for instance? .... would you 'really' be happy with the lag involved in waiting a second plus after every click on the screen etc.

Why over complicate it? This is perfect for a phone lads, absolutely perfect. I sometimes get annoyed with how hard the PC game is as it takes so much of your time to be good at it. This is a game where you can easily pass an hour on a train, even more on a plane or sometimes when the missus is watching eastenders or some other tosh. I like it, it just need a few little tweaks to make it even better.

Is there anything that can be done about players who are totally and utterly injury prone..? I've got a young striker who has a great goals/games ratio, but I can't seem to get 2 or 3 games out of him before he gets another knee injury in training and is out for 1/2/3 months. Is there anything I can do in the training regime either during the injury period or when he is fit..? It will be a bit frustrating if there is nothing I can do about it - an in-game option to send him away for an operation to sort things out would be useful.

• SI Staff
Is there anything that can be done about players who are totally and utterly injury prone..? I've got a young striker who has a great goals/games ratio, but I can't seem to get 2 or 3 games out of him before he gets another knee injury in training and is out for 1/2/3 months. Is there anything I can do in the training regime either during the injury period or when he is fit..? It will be a bit frustrating if there is nothing I can do about it - an in-game option to send him away for an operation to sort things out would be useful.

I've tuned the injury rates very slightly to make it less likely an injury will flare up again once a player has just recovered, this will be in update 2 and should help with this slightly.

(apart from that perhaps customise one of the training regimes to be a 'light' one for injury prone players?)

Hi Guys

First of all massive fan of Football Manager.

I purchesed this for £6.99 when it was the 1.2 version. Although there is ofcause alot of gliches I have lived with it and enjoyed hours of play hoping for an update to be realised.

I was delighted to realise that 1.3 version has been sorted which has fixed some of the glitches but my i tunes account has not located an update and I am still stuck with version 1.2?

Please do not say i have to buy it again!!

Your help would be greatley appriciated

Russ

• SI Staff
I was delighted to realise that 1.3 version has been sorted which has fixed some of the glitches but my i tunes account has not located an update and I am still stuck with version 1.2?

You have the current up to date version - when it was uploaded to iTunes the chap who did it incorrectly input the version number as 1.3 and we can't change it retrospectively.

Apologies for any confusion, on the brightside a new update (version 1.4) will be released in the very near future ..

You have the current up to date version - when it was uploaded to iTunes the chap who did it incorrectly input the version number as 1.3 and we can't change it retrospectively.

Apologies for any confusion, on the brightside a new update (version 1.4) will be released in the very near future ..

Arr well that explains it.

Many thanks anyway - can't wait for the update (please make it quick!!! :D) he he

By the way must say I am well over the moon with this. Whilst I love th PC version to death, this version is just ace for when I am in work or bored away from the PC. All it needs is to sort out the glitches and this will be outstanding!

Good work guys keep it up

I understand what you're asking for - I'm just trying to explain why we developed the game we did and why I don't think your suggestion is viable tbh; for instance - exactly how would the UI operate for you interacting with FM PC remotely for instance? .... would you 'really' be happy with the lag involved in waiting a second plus after every click on the screen etc.

Yeah, I didn't mean to be negative regarding the game itself, as it's a totally different entity. Probably the wrong place altogether for this discussion, but I stumbled upon this section accidentally when looking into things.

I don't know if that kind of UI would be viable. I suppose it really depends on whether the bandwidth/latency issues render the game playable or not. I was also thinking of situations where a client/server setup could be useful for playing on the road via a laptop, for instance. I have a poor spec laptop that could probably handle the 2d processing of the graphics, but would, ultimately, be frustratingly slow in trying to process a full game. In that instance a client/server setup could make playing the game a lot more enjoyable, in contrast to copying a saved game onto the laptop. I know I've ventured away from the mobile play there, but the idea is essentially the same. It's not an ideal situation, I know, but a means to end... and if someone is that desperate to play FM on the move, the pros may just outweight the cons. If the client/server model works fine for real-time FPS games (albeit with some nifty netcode), would it really be so bad on a game such as FM?

I'm sure you're far more aware of the mechanics behind something like that than I'll ever be, so I'll take your word for it that it's probably not a good fit. I reckon I'll look into more myself and see if any remote desktop software packages can be used to offer something similar.

Cheers for the response.

Not sure if these have been mentioned but these are a few things I have spotted in game.

1) sometimes a player will run from defence to the goal then just dribble it back and forth across the line with no commentry.....all of a sudden in then goes back to overview and the team has scored?

2) sometimes a player gets the the by line, the commentry says that the player has crossed it in but the 2d player just stays in corner. it then just goes back to the overview and the team has either scored or not.

3) in cup games when it goes to a penalty shoot out, the penalties 9 times out of 10 don't get taken on the 2d match. I find i have to swich to commentry only to see who scores and who misses.

4) I have noticed that even though say, I put stewart Downing and James Milner on free kicks, sometimes it dosent have them take them and something silly like a right back/left back takes them.

5) everytime a player is brought down harshly or not in the box there is a pen, could we swich it so that sometimes the ref dosent give a pen? (understand this may be hard with it being an app not pc so the AI/memory span might make this unable to do - just a suggestion)

6) something just really peed me off (being a villa fan none the less ha ha) but Joe cole just turned me down as he was out of contract with chelsea. I gave him £140k a week and offered him 2.6mil signing on fee but he rejects me to join BIRMINGHAM CITY! who had just been relegated to the championship for 28k a week? This can't be right sureley?

suggestions:

could there be a search box where we could type in the player/team we are looking or rather then having to try and find them? example:: I wanted to find standard leige so I had to go to everton, go to fellani, then to his history and pick standard from there as he used to play for them.

could there be an option to delete old games saved?

could there be an option to select a captain, I feel this is vital part option/decision to make

could there be an option to player interact with players/managers at another club?

Unserstand most of these might have already been asked and some might not be viable. Your feedback would be appriciated.

Cheers

Russ

Hi Guys at SI,

Just wanted to congratulate you all on an excellent effort with the iPhone handheld version of FM. I purchased it on the day of release and my commute into London has been a better experience for it. This is my first post as most of the issues reported, and suggestions given, have been covered within this forum.

However, I would like to make one suggestion which I believe has yet to be submitted. I think making board room requests is a fun part of the game and I always enjoyed making 'ultimatums' when my request was turned down. Is there any possibility the 'ultimatum' aspect of FM can be added to the handheld version of the game? I've been playing the game for several seasons now and my manager stats are very respectable. However, whenever I make a request, the board always refuse. I feel if my performances are on par with other highly respected managers, the board would take a different view on my requests. Plus it was always fun to take risks as a rookie manager by delivering an ultimatum and face the possibility of a warning or the sack!

Anyway, keep up the good work and many thanks for taking note of our feedback. I feel very reassured buying into a product when the developers are so keen to engage with the public.

Cheers

Dean

• SI Staff
Hi Guys at SI,

Just wanted to congratulate you all on an excellent effort with the iPhone handheld version of FM. I purchased it on the day of release and my commute into London has been a better experience for it. This is my first post as most of the issues reported, and suggestions given, have been covered within this forum.

Thanks for your kind words - much appreciated.

PS - If you're on the Cambridge line feel free to say "Hi" to me if you bump into me in your travels this week - I'm the 6'5'' tall ginger bearded chap who'll be likely either playing FMHi or watching Dr Who on his iPad ;)

However, I would like to make one suggestion which I believe has yet to be submitted. I think making board room requests is a fun part of the game and I always enjoyed making 'ultimatums' when my request was turned down. Is there any possibility the 'ultimatum' aspect of FM can be added to the handheld version of the game?

Not a bad idea at all - I'll take a look into that at some point.

• SI Staff
Not sure if these have been mentioned but these are a few things I have spotted in game.

Could you possibly please download the 1.4 update and then PM/email me an update as to which of these are still an issue for you - as I believe you should find things much improved generally.

could there be an option to delete old games saved?

Possibly BUT the save games are actually heavily compressed and very small (3.5Mb or less) ... and I've avoided allowing deletions to prevent someone from accidentally removing a loved save game.

You can just save over existing games as required though.

could there be an option to select a captain, I feel this is vital part option/decision to make

Something I'll definitely consider for the future.

could there be an option to player interact with players/managers at another club?

Again something for a future version, not a bad idea at all - BUT I want to tweak everything thats in already and get that working as near 100% perfectly as possible before considering large scale changes like this.

Thanks for your kind words - much appreciated.

PS - If you're on the Cambridge line feel free to say "Hi" to me if you bump into me in your travels this week - I'm the 6'5'' tall ginger bearded chap who'll be likely either playing FMHi or watching Dr Who on his iPad ;)

Not a bad idea at all - I'll take a look into that at some point.

Thanks Marc - much appreciated. I'll keep my fingers crossed for it. By the way, I am on the Cambridge line and I reckon I've seen you or at least someone who resembles that description! I shall certainly say hi if our paths cross. FM and Dr Who on the way to work... what more could you ask for!

Hi all

Can soemone please help me out?

I recently purchased an iPhone and have not had any problems with installing apps on it until I tried to download and install FM 2010 Handheld.

I purchased the app via iTunes and it downloaded correctly however when syncing my iPhone to install the app I keep getting the following error

"The application FM2010 was not installed on the iPhone ****iPhone because an unknown error occured" It then gave an error code however I have tried the install at least 5 times now and each time I get the error but a completely different code.

As stated, I have not had any problems downloading and installing any other apps on to my iPhone, my iPhone is upto date with the latest firmware and iTunes is up to date with the latest version.

I have followed the Instructions on the Apple site to troubleshoot but none of the solutions work with FM2010 and I hit the error all the time.

I have contacted apple and they stated that if I have had no other problems with downloading and installing apps from the app store and if I have followed the troubleshooting guide then it cant be the phone but would more than likely be a problem with the application itself.

This is now getting very frustrating and I would greatly appreciate any help anyone could give me on this issue.

Thanks in advance

• SI Staff

I'll do my best to help (although do bear in mind that the installation of the game onto the device isn't anything SI/SEGA are involved with and is Apple software so I'm navigating blind to some extent and just using user experience in this regard myself) ..

First things first - can you let me know the type of iPhone you're using and also confirm that you've fully rebooted your device before you tried installing the game*.

*Hold down the power button, after a few seconds a message indicating 'swipe to power off' should appear. Do so - then turn the phone fully back on, this effectively resets your devices usable memory (won't affect any music, apps etc. installed - just clears the memory used when running things). Often doing this will clear out any leaked memory, oddities and allow things to get back to a 'sane' state.

• 4 weeks later...

Now that iOS 4 has been announced in conjunction with the new iPhone 4 - is there a possibility of an update to use the new achievement system, and the multitasking?

If not can we assume that a future version of the game to be released will have these features?

Thanks for any reply!

-Neil.

• SI Staff
Now that iOS 4 has been announced in conjunction with the new iPhone 4 - is there a possibility of an update to use the new achievement system, and the multitasking?

If not can we assume that a future version of the game to be released will have these features?

I'll definitely be looking into such things BUT most likely for next years version rather than an update I'm afraid (there are limits to what I can do in the updates without breaking anything PLUS I do have to start on next years version at some point ;) ).

• SI Staff
Marc - any plans for an iPad version?

Nothing has been set in stone regarding this - it is something I'm interested in doing, however until cloning technology improves I'm afraid I'm somewhat limited in what I can undertake at one time .... watch this space, we'll obviously announce things here first if we do get something underway.

• 2 weeks later...
  • SI Staff
I am a Huge fan of the FM series! but i'm on the german itunes store and i can only purchase apps there :(

any date for a launch on the german itunes store?

I'm afraid at present it is very unlikely that the game will be released in the German iTunes store - sorry.

• Administrators

Jiveman - there are workarounds for buying in other iTunes app stores with region specific vouchers. Have done so with an album on US iTunes Store.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Marc

I noticesd that Football Manager Handheld 2010 1.5 update is out. Just a quick question, if I udpate my game will I lose all my previously saved games ?

I've transformed my Tottenham team and really don't want to lose it !!

Thanks.

Archived