Mr Hough 10.3 Tactics

Which Tactic Do You Think Is The Best Version.  

1,063 members have voted

1. 1. Which Tactic Do You Think Is The Best Version.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HI, I have used various tactics of yours in the past Mr Hough and they work well- However i have always wondered how I am meant to alter the formation/tactics when I have a player sent off- I used to take 1 of the strikers off to make it more balanced but that really doesn't work. I have found taking the dmc out is the best option and playing on the counter but even that isn't brilliant :( Any thoughts???

I'd defo take off one of the strikers The least well known like if you have David Villa and Steven Fletcher in your team Take off fletcher as Villa is better quality and will proberly be more likely to score.

Mr Hough, I am testing your final tactic and I found that by using Arsenal, a front three of Arshavin, Van Persie and Walcott is prettty lethal as RVP will create chances for the

side strikers as well as score himself, Walcott almost get 3-4 clear cut chances per match by using his incredible speed but will spurn most

of them due to low composure and finishing, Arshavin if to break opponent's offside trap, is almost certain to score at any angle.

So, I am pretty much satisfied with the three.

As I observed, strong and big strikers up front will not perform as well as creative, fast strikers as they will be closed down by defenders quite

a lot of time. Is this correct, mr hough? eg: the Bendtner, Lukaku type. Not sure about Chamakh, didnt try him.

In the meantime, should I up the creative freedom to max or near max for my central midfielders like fabregas, ramsey, nasri, rosicky, diaby,

denilson because i found them on the high creative side. Any kind opinions about this and what really do increase in creative freedom do?

Will they lost possesion so much often by trying the impossible everytime or will they create more Clear cut chances? can u please

enlighten me on this matter?

Also, should I use playmaker and target man for your tactic, is it a disadvantage or advantage to use them? Can u clarify on them?

Like fabregas is a great playmaker, so do nasri, rosicky, ramsey etc. Likewise Van Persie is a beast of target men to feet.

But one thing is that will that setting ruin your tactic? Will the players kept passing to them two and they lose their balls too easily?

And about try through balls, what will the affect the tactic, I tried to tweak the other CM to often(instead of simetimes) and DM to often too.

I found it quite good. why? the FB's is also set to sometimes try through balls. I found no harm too. Why?

Besides, why the wideplay settings for all players is normal, can I have some of time hug touchline, Cut inside or move into channels?

can u please enlighten me? So do the roaming for the strikers? Can I set it on?

At the same time , I found I conceed a hell lot for headers, most particularly and mentioned other wingers/strikers compete the ball

in air with my full backs each and everytime at cross and my FBs fail most of the time. I know that the attributes needed are heading

and jumping, but even the better FBs are not TOO excel in that department, so should I retrain CB's for FB cuz i kept

conceeding goals like that. It is like a thorn for me. Any help please? Also, should I buy a new goalkeeper with excellent aerial

ability and command of area, by the way, what does these two attributes do? Do goalkeeper suppose to jump and catch each of every

dangerous crosses to them? I bought Rene Adler earlier , he is just beast and imho the god of reflexes and one on ones in FM, but he is

prone to aerial ball, should I get Hugo Lloris and will you know he will or will not conceed from high balls ? because Adler do save me many

matches in one-on-one situations. Any wise choices?

I am conceeding goals form your defending corner setup so i change to my setup, then less conceeding goals BUT at a time th AI

use the AI corner trick , that is pass to the near post where the AI player is one and unmarked totally ( Anyone know how to setup this

corner trick btw :?) , 100% the ball will go into the net where he hit it hard. But luckily on my situation. one defender is aware of

this situation and he close down him almost immediately to prevent the AI from 'cheating'. As I feel that I am safe for once, the worst happens

, my defender slide tackle him on the box when the 'cheater' seems to carry the ball away from box as he awares of someone closing him down.

Penalty !!! n I am left furious fuming at the bench. Any solutions? anyone can counter this?

And by using arsenal in this tactic as normally arsenal seems to be a possesion side, after this, they normally gain 45-50 possesion from it,

usually less than the opponents, why? and what should I do to gain possesion like 60 something (I know that It is meaningless but i hate

to see when I am 5-0 up or soemthing, my possesion stats is 45 (me) to 55 or something similar.

In addition, the opponents seem to get as many shots or nearly my shots as I do in normal case, why? ( I know many of them are long shots

from distance, but they are clear cut chances when they break my defense too as well as so called 'free headers' as majority of time

FB marking the one who heads will fail to do so. Any good ways to limit the opposition chances?

Moreover, should my arsenal side use your suggested minimum pitch size ? will this hinders pace strikers like walcott to run at the space left

by defenders? can you clarify?

I am using nike defense now : 7., 8 , 9, 10, 11 ,11 for my back four, and It seems much solid than the normal one, but i do conceed 2 goals form

the space behind the 'stopper' defender. I didnt manage to test them two as many matches as I can to see which is much better (will do so later), but i do

think the nike defense is better but will conceed the odd goal once in a blue moon. n How come you can figure out your mentality correctly, mr.hough?

Furthermore, I found that the throw-in setup cost me a number of goals when near the opponent box, I launch the throw in, the defenders

head it away and they will launch a counter. Any ways to improve on this?

In fact, It is a great tactic btw. A thousand thanks for viewing my post and giving your much appreciated reply.

Is this what you have found with my tactic or with your own?

You could use strong strikers in the central striker spot and the more creative technical strikers in the wide slots.

Giving players all your Players Max or Nearly Max Creative Freedom is more than likely to do more harm than good, This is because the more CF they have the less likely they are to listen to your instructions and they will more than likely do there own thing.

If you look through my most recent tactic you will find that only one of my players is on Max CF that's the middle striker if you look aswell his mentality isn't as high as the others so he plays deeper than the rest of the strikers which within testing was the best solution because the opp comes to close him down and that leaves gaps for the other 2 strikers.

If the Midfield where on Max or Higher CF there'd be shooting from every opportunity and passing erratically looking to free the strikers and more than likely losing possession which in the midfield can be dangerous if the opp are a good countering team. This is also why in the team settings the Tempo is Slow and the passing Short so they keep the ball and try and 'work' and opening instead forcing one and ultimately either missing the chance cos my players are rushed or lose possession cos the pass is rushed.

I have tried setting the midfield players as target man and playmake and found that these where the best players why i can hear you asking!!!, The reason behind this is very simple it's all about the opp closing me down if one of my strikers is target man he will be really quickly closed down and if he is a top top striker might be able to get out of the situation with either a pass or shot but imagine how Crowed the box would be with at least 4 opp players and 3 of your players how could he pass the ball to one of the strikers the best option would be to pass to a CM and more than likely the opportunity is lost.

On the other hand if the Target man is the CM they will receive the ball and the opp are gonna rush to them so that will leave space for either one of the strikers.

Through balls are set on the strikers mainly because i want them to pass the ball between them.

regards to the players on normal wide play, Why would you want players hug touchline when my tactic is narrow that's gonna let the opp run wild through the middle, If you have noticed the strikers run wide anyway that's why you want high dribbling technical players here so they can take advantage.

i think having the strikers on move into channels or cutting inside will encourage them to be out wide more which is not something i want really when they do what i need them to on normal wide play.

Having fullbacks on will cause more harm than good if the opp has wingers that cut inside or move into channels then the CD will have to contend with not only strikers but wingers running at them aswell.

I agree with the fullbacks and it's a pain because i have suffered aswell with them not headering the balls away too have Adler in one of my save games, I think retraining a CD would be a good option but that takes time to do so while your doing that you could try these OI's on ML MR AML AMR AMC opp players. Tight Marking always Closing Down Always, Don't use show to weaker foot cos that will probably make them come inside and if the opp have a good striker with High off the ball skills he will more than likely find space as your fullback and central defender close down this player. Don't use hard tackling either because you don't wanna give away a pen or free kick in dangerous areas.

I have no idea at all to counter the opp corner routine at the near post and have lost/drawn a few games because of this, so sorry i can't help on this part.

If i had found a way to limit the Opp chances I'd have included this in my final version, I think it's the balance of the game more than anything, You can't batter every single opp it don't work like that unfortunately.

Use the minimum Pitch size because of exactly what you said it helps stop the opp running into space, I don't need my players to have loads and loads of space because the 3 strikers create chances with the play between each other.

The mentality of the defenders is what i have worked on more than anything and it why i understand it better, I don't want my defenders to close down early cos that will leave acres of space behind them for the opp so having them 2 mentality clicks apart seems to work best with closing down the same and the mentality setting. The DM i have is the same mentality as the lower CD but alot higher closing down so he cuts out any balls from an AMC or advanced central midfielder.

I haven't touched the throw in settings and they are on the default settings so you can have a look use common sense leave the attacking players up and the defenders back.

Matthew when you read this you will notice that alot of this is observation of matches and logical thinking regarding players settings and what i want my team to do and how to stop the opp playing.

This is all i do seriously it's easy but like Take That once said "you gotta have Patience"!!!!.

On a serious note though i hope this info helps you when making your own tactics if you need anymore help just ask.

Dave.

using this with norwich city mate ,im in my 1st season in the championship after last season i won league 1 using tav's tactic...now using your latest version im currently 2nd after 25 games...trying to find where i can improve defence what i found was ..when the AI play long through balls into the box and its simple all ive done is ticked PLAY OFFSIDE...its working very well..update end of season.luvin this mate cheers Dave

using this with norwich city mate ,im in my 1st season in the championship after last season i won league 1 using tav's tactic...now using your latest version im currently 2nd after 25 games...trying to find where i can improve defence what i found was ..when the AI play long through balls into the box and its simple all ive done is ticked PLAY OFFSIDE...its working very well..update end of season.luvin this mate cheers Dave

good man, I had noticed this myself i completly forgot the play offside lol, Good shout i'll have a look.

Is there any way to reduce the number of yellow and red cards and still get the results?? Having big troubles with bookings (4-5 yellow cards/game) and red cards (1 every second game)....

Just played my first competitive match with this tactic. Came 4th last season with valencia with real madrid coming top. Just played them in the super cup at home and thumped them 8-0... could barely believe what I was watching... thanks!

Just played my first competitive match with this tactic. Came 4th last season with valencia with real madrid coming top. Just played them in the super cup at home and thumped them 8-0... could barely believe what I was watching... thanks!

Good stuff i'm glad your enjoying it.

using the tactic for 3/4 of a season now going suoerb,top of the prem,BUT when i come up against chelsea as i have 5 times this season they win all the time,just got battered 4-1 in league cup final,any tips or tweaks ANYTHING how i can turn them over,i close down and tight mark all wide palyers and amc,show to weaker foot all mc and dmc and strikers tackle hard.thanks please help,also struggle in champions league games

any help people(mr hough) would you usedifferent oi's against the bigger teams?

Hello Dave,

Back playing this game after 5 weeks in hibernation. Loving your new tactic, as I believe the defence is better (I prefer winning 2-0 over 3-1 and soforth).

Just a couple of questions, why do fullbacks now need heading and jumping? Under Tuggs training, do we train them full backs or central defenders?

Also you mentioned about the offside trap. Do we need to enable this for every match?

Thanks Dave.

Hello Dave,

Back playing this game after 5 weeks in hibernation. Loving your new tactic, as I believe the defence is better (I prefer winning 2-0 over 3-1 and soforth).

Just a couple of questions, why do fullbacks now need heading and jumping? Under Tuggs training, do we train them full backs or central defenders?

Also you mentioned about the offside trap. Do we need to enable this for every match?

Thanks Dave.

cos the opp will get balls in the box quite often and it's better if all the defence can jump and head the ball away.

Play with the offside if you find the opp getting behind your defence alot if they don't leave it off.

Hey Mr Hough, a quick update... using the classic tactic I came 3rd in my second season, 2nd in my third season (lost the title on the last day) and then this season... hit the big one :thup:

245bkpj.jpg

1zx762u.jpg

Next goal is to progress past the last 16 of the champs league, been knocked out by AC Milan in my 2nd season and FC Bayern (very unluckily) this season...

Mr. Hough, using your final version of the classic tactic, I'm finding that I'm struggling to score more than I did before. The two side strikers have started getting pretty average ratings more and more. I've checked their settings and decided to increase their creative freedom back up to maximum, same as in the original classic tactic. That seems to have solved the problem as now they find space better due to more creative movement.

Have you had any problems like this with your strikers?

Not sure if others have this problem.

i'm in season 4, played about 7 games in total including Euro games.

i have 3 strikers out injured during match. My conclusion is that with 'Hard' tackling set for the 3 strikers, they are hurting themselves when challenging for the ball.

the injuries i noticed have all occurred in the closing parts of the game, when they are fatigued and still dive into the tackle because of the setting.

Borja out for 3 months

Aguero out for 4 months

Cavani out for 2 months

luckily i have a deep squad to cope.

any1 else have such problems?

Mr. Hough, using your final version of the classic tactic, I'm finding that I'm struggling to score more than I did before. The two side strikers have started getting pretty average ratings more and more. I've checked their settings and decided to increase their creative freedom back up to maximum, same as in the original classic tactic. That seems to have solved the problem as now they find space better due to more creative movement.

Have you had any problems like this with your strikers?

No they seemed to do fine with it on medium CF

I'm guessing your happy then gregg

Very!!

Didn't have it all my own way which I sort of enjoyed but with the strikers I have we always scored goals and got out of some dodgy situations.

I want to start a new game with a lesser team now though so I'll report back with my results.

Cheers

I've just started a save with blyth in the Premier North to truly test this tactic, If i make any adjustments i'll either mention what i have done or post an updated version.

Good luck with the test.

I'll be posting a review of it as well after I've finished a full season using it. However, so far, the review wont be as good as for the original classic tactic. There's just something about this version that has made my strikers very inconsistent. I've very rarely had that problem with the original classic in all four seasons that I've used it. Don't get me wrong, I'm still winning a large majority of my matches, but I can really tell that there's something wrong with the strikers. Actually, as a whole, the entire team just doesn't play as well to be honest. I'm wondering if it actually has to do with the width setting you are using, which is narrower than the original. Very hard to break down teams with so little width. My team seems to struggle with this.

Good luck with the test.

I'll be posting a review of it as well after I've finished a full season using it. However, so far, the review wont be as good as for the original classic tactic. There's just something about this version that has made my strikers very inconsistent. I've very rarely had that problem with the original classic in all four seasons that I've used it. Don't get me wrong, I'm still winning a large majority of my matches, but I can really tell that there's something wrong with the strikers. Actually, as a whole, the entire team just doesn't play as well to be honest. I'm wondering if it actually has to do with the width setting you are using, which is narrower than the original. Very hard to break down teams with so little width. My team seems to struggle with this.

ok thanks i'll have a look into this i have some very dodgy results aswell, Maybe i rushed realeased it possibly.

ok thanks i'll have a look into this i have some very dodgy results aswell, Maybe i rushed realeased it possibly.

No shame in admitting it. I'm sure this version would work well with teams who have players with good physical strength. I mean, with so little width and focusing play through the middle, you're essentially using the team as a sort of a battering ram. It would work pretty well with someone like Chelsea or Everton, teams with powerful midfielders and physically strong strikers. My own team is still doing well but I think it is because my players are simply outclassing all other teams in overall quality. As you say though, I've also had more dodgy results this season than I've had in any of my previous four, and this is the first season that I'm using the new version. So I think there's a correlation there.

Just to give you an idea of how it has affected my strikers. Steven Fletcher, who has been my top scorer in the last three seasons. Has been on an 11 hour scoreless streak. He has scored at least 40 goals in each of his previous three seasons, but so far he has only 10, half way through the current one.

One other thing I'll add. I think the definite good positive about this version is also the lack of width, which helps when playing against teams that are better than you. It gives your team better defensive resilience by having less space between your players. That's probably one of the reasons why I was able to beat Man Utd 5-1 in the Europa League final. I've also performed very well in the CL this season. We were in a group that had Inter, Galatasaray, and Benfica. Pretty tough group for Hearts, but we took first place. We got hammered away against Inter 1-4 but after that ended up winning the next 4 matches and drawing once at home against Inter again.

No shame in admitting it. I'm sure this version would work well with teams who have players with good physical strength. I mean, with so little width and focusing play through the middle, you're essentially using the team as a sort of a battering ram. It would work pretty well with someone like Chelsea or Everton, teams with powerful midfielders and physically strong strikers. My own team is still doing well but I think it is because my players are simply outclassing all other teams in overall quality. As you say though, I've also had more dodgy results this season than I've had in any of my previous four, and this is the first season that I'm using the new version. So I think there's a correlation there.

Just to give you an idea of how it has affected my strikers. Steven Fletcher, who has been my top scorer in the last three seasons. Has been on an 11 hour scoreless streak. He has scored at least 40 goals in each of his previous three seasons, but so far he has only 10, half way through the current one.

One other thing I'll add. I think the definite good positive about this version is also the lack of width, which helps when playing against teams that are better than you. It gives your team better defensive resilience by having less space between your players. That's probably one of the reasons why I was able to beat Man Utd 5-1 in the Europa League final. I've also performed very well in the CL this season. We were in a group that had Inter, Galatasaray, and Benfica. Pretty tough group for Hearts, but we took first place. We got hammered away against Inter 1-4 but after that ended up winning the next 4 matches and drawing once at home against Inter again.

I'm gonna really take my time with this one now, I know i can make it better and your right about the attack in the classic i have moved to it and i'm just playing with the defence now and leaving the attack.

The main thing thats bothering me is that my fullbacks moce forward to quick to close down if i move the settings down 1-2 notches they don't close down quick enough, Just gotta find the rightr balance throughout the team.

Hello Mr.Hough, are u going 2 work on a winger tactic? I really look foward to a 4231 with AMC AML AMR!

Hope u can create it soon!

I really want to aswell but i wanna get this 4-1-2-3 sorted first then i'll move onto something else

fantastic tactic!!! i won but i take 1 gol for match example 2-1 3-1 4-1 why???

mr hough is still working on the ultimate tactic, so be patient my friend.

try tick offside trap on, close down and tight marking ML, MR, AML, AMR, AMC.

In the meantime, I do have some extra success with the implement of nike defense though:

1) No offside trap

2) Left DC mentality 7

3) GK 8

4) Right DC 9

5) DMC 10

6) FBs 11

try it, you never know:thup:

Last season I used the GCS wizard tactic and finished a respectable 10th in my first season in the Premier League. Since the start of this season I've been using the latest 10.3 final classic tactic and am sitting pretty in 3rd after 11 wins despite having a team full of young regens :)

Wonderful!

^

They do. I had alot of success using the original 10.3 classic with South Africa (was knocked out in the quarters by a very lucky Holland). Just make sure the stats are right and that you aren't messing up your PR.

Still can't fault the original classic version. I have just won the premier league for 2nd season and won it after 32 games with Notts County, also won the league cup and I am in the semis of champions league. Got knocked out of FA cup in the semis to Arsenal, the only other defeat was 4-1 away to Everton in the league.

I'm gonna really take my time with this one now, I know i can make it better and your right about the attack in the classic i have moved to it and i'm just playing with the defence now and leaving the attack.

The main thing thats bothering me is that my fullbacks moce forward to quick to close down if i move the settings down 1-2 notches they don't close down quick enough, Just gotta find the rightr balance throughout the team.

I did a small test by switching back to the original classic for four games. It made a considerable difference, especially in the attack phase. The flow became more fluid in this phase as it seemed that the strikers were moving better. The other thing I forgot to mention in my earlier post are the fullbacks. In the final version of the classic, the fullbacks are set to make very few forward runs, and make less through balls. I think this is also why the attack tends to stagnate in the final version. There's no real pressure coming from the flanks during the attack because of this. It also contributes to the whole lack of width problem, which the fullbacks would help with, if they were going forward more often. So I think setting them on mixed forward runs is probably best in terms of maintaining the effectiveness of the attack. Obviously, they would be creating more space for the strikers by stretching the opposing back line.

I do understand though the defensive problem with them (fullbacks) as well. I've experienced them too with every version of the tactic. I've noticed a pretty clear pattern. Whenever my team is doing badly, it is usually the fullbacks who are getting bad ratings. Meaning that whatever the mistakes that are occurring, that are causing my team to be loosing, are coming from the flanks. This is prevalent with pretty much any level of players. In my Milan career, where I had two world class fullbacks, they would also get terrible ratings a bit too often. This also makes me think that perhaps it's not a problem that can be fixed through tactic tweaking. Now I don't want to dwell into any kind of conspiracy theories, but I've read that the wingers don't play well in FM10, and perhaps to compensate for this, the fullbacks have been made less effective, in order to have a balance. I would understand if this was made on purpose in order to preserve game-play as a whole.