Just quit the game...

If the other team is throwing everyone forward, why would it be bad? Surely playing counter wouldn't result in conceeding 3 goals in 4 minutes.

They are the ones throwing people forward, so I play more direct, play pace into space and put on a quick striker to exploit their forrays forward.

Counter attacking would be the smartest opition, or a possesion/defensive game. Then again, that too has backfired for me.

That didn't happen at all, as soon as I changed strategy, things imploded even before I could undo my changes.

When I undid my changes, back to control/attacking, I was back to playing fantastic football.

Surely you can see that the match engine is just too touchy on small changes like this.

Of course the game will have no issues to the people who code it and know the ins and outs and know what to do and not to do.

Normal people and arm chair fans wont know 100% that the match engine is that touchy with minimal changes.

If it happened once in a blue moon I could accept it, but it happens all too often and I am not the only one.

Just look at the threads being created, theres at least 5 or 6 of them with a handful of different people agreeing to the same issue.

We can be bad managers, yes I agree - but footballers also have a mind of their own, and our assistants also give us feed back like "this player would be better if he did that". We make changes as per our instructions and it back fires more often than not, regardless of our staff skills.

People will get infuriated because they love FM and want to enjoy it, but then they get no fun out of it and are annoyed when people say its easy or that their tactical decions are the reason for the match engine going haywire.

Its not always the users fault, certainly not 90% of the time and I worked in retail and in banking and quite frankly the user is usually right, as they are the ones who pay.

I will agree that as soon as you make a change that the AI thinks it can exploit, it doesn't even give you a chance to revert back to the old tactics before it scores a goal. It can happen within seconds. I find that annoying.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I conceeded 2 goals before I managed to get my changes in.

I was playing on extended highlights and conceeded 3 goals in 4 minutes as soon as I changed to counter attacking. I then changed to defensive, conceeded the 3rd. Was down 4-3 trying to play control (if I remember correctly) then at 4-3 down, I went attacking, played brilliant football and drew 4-4 at the death.

Marek, I am not, nor have I ever been saying, that counter-attack is the wrong tactic to use. I am just trying to clarify what you are trying to achieve with it.

Are you trying to use it to kill the game dead, or do you accept that its concept implies your team will get forward when the opportunity arises and try to sneak another goal? If you think it means the former, then we have an interpretation issue. If you think it means the latter, then the question has to be 'is it the best strategy to employ when you are already 3-0 up'?

It's your decision, but you need to have a clear idea on what you are trying to do. If you want a half-way house between 'kill the game' and 'counter-attack', then what shouts can you use to achieve that?

Marek, I am not, nor have I ever been saying, that counter-attack is the wrong tactic to use. I am just trying to clarify what you are trying to achieve with it.

Are you trying to use it to kill the game dead, or do you accept that its concept implies your team will get forward when the opportunity arises and try to sneak another goal? If you think it means the former, then we have an interpretation issue. If you think it means the latter, then the question has to be 'is it the best strategy to employ when you are already 3-0 up'?

It's your decision, but you need to have a clear idea on what you are trying to do. If you want a half-way house between 'kill the game' and 'counter-attack', then what shouts can you use to achieve that?

That's a great point. I thought of using it to hit a team on the break. It was Chelsea and I was winning 2-0. I knew they'd want to come at me so I thought I'd defend using counter attack, soak up the pressure and hit them on the break. Thankfully, this, time the AI didn't exploit my tactics and I was able to see it wasn't working so changed back to my old tactics.

Some of the confusion might come from the manual again. See the description of the counter-attack tick box, which says it'd make your side sit back and so on. What it is technically doing is increasing the likelyhood of a team pushing forward once it has recovered the ball (mentality all going up). It increases the likelyhood of your team trying to hit the opponent on the break as often as can. That does not mean that unticking it (or choosing a "defensive" tactics rather than a "counter" one) would cause your team to never try a counter-attack.

Therefore I guess that is causing some of the confusion. You can "defend" a lead, and your team would still try to look to hit the opponent on the break, it's just less likely to happen.

It's his Press Conferences...;)

Thanking Svenc for this one:

harder to understand than cockney.
:D

In my opinion in FM10 there is no point to playing defensive and deep in the top divisions. You give up the top of the box and considering your GK can't stop a long shot and all defenders are stupid as a bag of hammers you are just asking to concede.

I am not saying that you are wrong, but I have had the opposite experience. For the first time ever (well as long as I can remember) I have managed to get some good away results playing defensive all throughout the course of a game. Over the last few versions of the game I have pretty much abandoned the defensive tactic (I always make my own which is most likely the cause for the problems I've had in the past heh), but this time around to my joy I have been able to scrape through 1-0 which I rarely if ever managed before.

That's a bad team talk ruining motivation. Don't let your performance drop should only be used when your side is leading against a side it should beat but playing horribly. Hibs leading Celtic 3-0 doesn't qualify. Pleased and play safe, keep ball for the 2nd half.

I haven’t finished reading this whole thread yet, but just read this post and I just simply have to reply before i move on and forget!

wwwfan i fully respect your level of knowledge about this game (as the vast majority on here do), but i just find this statement is ridiculous, and highlights the fact this game is very unrealistic and perhaps even nonsensical in certain features (not a lot, but some are key). To say that ‘don’t let your performance drop’ should only be used when you are playing crap (despite a one goal lead) against a side you should be beating easily just has no logic or reality to it. Your team is playing BADLY against a team they should be beating comfortably, so why would you tell them to maintain such a performance (ie why would you tell them to keep playing badly, but not ‘worse’ than badly?). Surely in this case you want to motivate your team to play better in the second half, so you wouldn’t be telling them not to play worse?

I’m not saying the poster you were replying to chose the right teamtalk, but if your description of when to choose the ‘don’t let your performance drop’ teamtalk option is right (and i’m assuming it is in a game sense, due to your in-depth knowledge of the game), then this is ridiculous as it is not a realistic response that a manager would make. It might be the ‘right choice’ from a game point of view, but it’s not the ‘logical choice’ from a player point of view. If the ‘right choice’ is not the illogical choice (from the limited options that the player has) then it’s no wonder people make bad choices in the game, and it’s no wonder that people get so frustrated at times with the game.

Now, i better go back and keep reading the rest of the thread!

I'm not going to argue that it isn't ambiguous, but that is really what it means.

A full interpretation is 'You're only just about playing well enough right now, so don't let your performance drop and let them get back into this'.

That's interesting, I always assumed that if you were telling them not to let their performance drop then the team would be at the top of their game and you were telling them not to get sloppy and maintain their performance.

Cheers for the proper definition!

Congrats Marek for quiting the game, though I dunno why we all need to know about it, I just took a big dump while reading the Manuel, but i didn't start a forum topic on it

I bet he hasn't quit the game and will never do. How would you interpret these two contradicting statements:

- The game is wonderful and best in the series so far. I don't have any problems managing NewCastle and win everything, my tactics work brilliantly. I'm new Jose Mourinho in the making.

- The game is ridiculous, is fundamentally flawed

because:

my NewCaslte tactics don't work for my Marseille team

because:

I think one tactic should work for all the football clubs in the world

because:

all the leagues in the world have same playing style

because:

all the players from all the leagues in the world have same mental, physical and technical attributes as NewCastle players

and therefore:

I should win 99% of the time no matter what I do. I just want to sit back with coke and pies in my hand and my virtual FM players should have enough brain in their skull to understand what I expect from them.

Yeah i know what you mean mate... sometimes this kind of thing does happen in the game. However, I feel that fm 2010 is much more realistic than fm 2009 was. Fm 2009 had so many bugs and i felt frustrated all the time playing it because all kinds of ridiculous things kept happening during matches like this... when i was 3-0 up they would come back to win the game and stuff.... but i think in fm 2010 the engine is much more realistic and better...

I told you about 5 times why I played counter attacking, PSG was piling on the pressure and I wanted to pounce on them on the break.

Im games prior to that I tried posession football late in the game only to be pegged back.

Have you viewed my PKM? Everyone has flamed me for not showing any proof to my rant, yet next to no one has watched 2 pkms I uploaded in this very thread.

Why do I keep getting asked the same questions that I have not only answered, but also supplied the actual matches so people can tell me what they think went wrong.

I bet he hasn't quit the game and will never do. How would you interpret these two contradicting statements:

- The game is wonderful and best in the series so far. I don't have any problems managing NewCastle and win everything, my tactics work brilliantly. I'm new Jose Mourinho in the making.

- The game is ridiculous, is fundamentally flawed

because:

my NewCaslte tactics don't work for my Marseille team

because:

I think one tactic should work for all the football clubs in the world

because:

all the leagues in the world have same playing style

because:

all the players from all the leagues in the world have same mental, physical and technical attributes as NewCastle players

and therefore:

I should win 99% of the time no matter what I do. I just want to sit back with coke and pies in my hand and my virtual FM players should have enough brain in their skull to understand what I expect from them.

Do you realise every single post of yours is basically a personal shot at me and hardly ever constuctive to any thread?

For someone who demans proof of comments, gets annoyed at people ranting and opening stupid threads, you sure do a lot of that yourself.

Especially with hugely fake, edited and out of context quoting of my comments. (btw I dont eat pies and I am quite thin and healty)

:thdn:

I am surprised you never get a warning with the way you act.

I already apologised for my actions, yet you keep ranting on. Maybe you are just unhappy because you follow a bad football club and need to vent your anger to people you do not know, behind the safety of your computer.

@ not quitting the game : I havent played it since the post and I have quit FM in the past (didnt buy any versions from 2005 to 2008). Its just a game - If i dont enjoy it I dont play it. Unlike you, I do not sleep with the game box with me at night. I actually have a woman for personal warmth and comfort.

This is mainly aimed at the Op an all others who want to rant on how bad they think this game is.

Now I agree that there are some things in this game that need addressing tbh long shots ain't one of them cos i don't see that many, some of the ME defence movements need fixing but in my opinion this is about it excepting one or two other minor annoyances.

Have you ever heard the saying "You get out what you put in" Now by seeing all these rants about the same issues about "poor defending" goals being "scored inapproratley" ect tell me one thing

Your not putting the time into the game to find out what your doing wrong so all you see is the end result which is your team plays like s***.

Instead off coming onto the forums and wasting the time you could be putting in to the game to "enjoy it" you could be ddoing just that using the time to play the game and "enjoy it" oh and stop glory hunting and just take each game as it comes, if you feel a game was unjust go back to an old save and try a couple of other tactics on it, this is the only way you'll learn, not by coming on here and having a go at the game and the staff who have spent so much of their lives and time working on it for all us other people who don'y have issues with it to enjoy,

I myself are new to these forums and seeing what I have read from WWfan he seems to know what he's talking about when it comes to tactics an what possibilities could be cropping up from a particular tactic use. I would say listen to these guys cos they obviously have put in the time into the game an they have gotten so much out of it they share it with the rest of us. Just a thought for anyone who wants to go away andd start a new rant

I know i said about ranting but i'm getting sick of seeing it from a negitive point of view so thought i'd rant from a positive point for a change....:p

Long shots are an issue, Paul C has confirmed it. (and amazingly will be lessened by 20%! Thats a huge nerf)

Tackling is an issue and will be looked into, Paul C has confirmed it.

Closing down is an issue, and was also confirmed.

Pass backs are a huge problem.

People need to actually read Paul C's comments before actually saying I put no time and effort into why I am losing or lost or lost a lead.

It is especially sad to see people say something isn't a problem when it obviously is. That is a bad thing for SI, not a good thing. Some people are a lot more picky than others and sometimes you need to realise that maybe someone has used a combination of things in game that might have discovered a flaw in the tactics system or what not (not saying it is, I am just saying you never know).

I uploaded my pkm's, I said what I did tactically quite a few times, I have read TTF guides and have them printed out.

So dont say I didnt put any time and effort into it.

You don't know me, you don't have my save game, you dont know what mode I watch my games in, you do not know my past gaming history or anything.

So maybe people should generalise less. If I made a mistake, watch the PKM and tell me exactly what was wrong, NO ONE HAS DONE THAT.

Its all been speculation and im the one whos been told I did not put in the effort.

And finally I am not the only person having any issues and why I only had issues with this save, and not another is beyond me. (Which is why I assumed it would be a squad mentality issue, and even wwfan hinted it was due to a poor team talk at first only to go back on his remarks later and Paul C saying it wouldnt have had such an effect)

Maybe you can see how one can get annoyed at seeing contradicting remarks from people. As stated I have even given my pkms to Paul C, I will get back to playing once I know what I am doing wrong. If it was my fault ill gladly own up to it, play again and learn from my mistakes.

Hi, I haven't read the whole thread but its been happening to me too. We had three major games, these were the results (playing as Arsenal):

Fiorentina (A)- it finished 4-3 in the CL to the Italians despite the fact we were 3-1 up with 20 mins to go

Liverpool (A)- we were 3-0 up, they had gerrard injured and were being rolled over, then in 5 mins they scored 3 goals

Chelsea (H)- once again we were 3-1 up, chelsea score 3 goals in the last 5 minutes

I have rejiggled the whole training so to stop these ridiculous changes, in FM09 the same tactics would see me either winning or drawing these games, in FM10, whatever I do, I literally, can't win.

Long shots are an issue, Paul C has confirmed it. (and amazingly will be lessened by 20%! Thats a huge nerf)

Tackling is an issue and will be looked into, Paul C has confirmed it.

Closing down is an issue, and was also confirmed.

Pass backs are a huge problem.

People need to actually read Paul C's comments before actually saying I put no time and effort into why I am losing or lost or lost a lead.

I uploaded my pkm's, I said what I did tactically quite a few times, I have read TTF guides and have them printed out.

And finally I am not the only person having any issues and why I only had issues with this save, and not another is beyond me.

Your assuming i didn't read the comments. Of course i did but just cos he has confirmed there are issues doesn't mean to say i agree that there are cos like I said i don'e see these issues are a major complaint.

Secondly - big deal you've used guides etc but you've said yourself you may not understand the game tacticlly so you obviously have'nt spent enough time in looking at your own style of play and seeing what you can do to fix it.

Thirdly i see most of these rants are produced BECAUSE of the new tactics systme. People don't seem to like it much for some stange reason. Me I think it's great cos it's made it a lot easier to see what you have done wrong. It's improved my tactical knolesge of the game ten foldd from all other previous FM games andd it pretty user freindly if you ask me.

oh BTW it may look like I have a stutter with my d's IRL but it's just a dodgy d key which i can't fix due to it being AWOL:)

Anyway I am done posting in this thread, until someone can view the pkms I uploaded in this thread and see if they can work out what went wrong.

I will just ignore the tools who are complaining about people complaining. The abundance of irony is giving me a nose bleed and I am having my friday afternoon drinks and that means I will begin to post things I will regret again.

Apologies in advance.

Dude, can you stop being so offensive and confrontational.

Your posts have been nothing short of personalised attacks against my opinion.

I think its time you shut it.

Ah whatever, Im sorry but half of you guys sound like virginal english boys who act tough behind their pc screens but cant match up to anything in person.

I complain about a game, then people start ranting about my ranting.

Oh the irony.

Get a life.

I have posted up two of my games and none of you have actually said/commented anything on it but you all have been full of abusive remarks.

I am sick of hearing you guys say I didnt provide any evidence when I have put up my saved matches.

Sorry but you guys are just too busy being abusive and claiming to be constructive.

Marek, whilst I have not shared your experiences and I have found that the new TI Wizard used with the T&TT document (I have all 60+ pages printed out nearby at all times, and am not ashamed!) advice, has made me relatively sucessful, however I feel your Posts so far deserve a little more respect from the Community. Keep giving feedback and try not to rise to those that have nothing worthwhile to say.

I told you about 5 times why I played counter attacking, PSG was piling on the pressure and I wanted to pounce on them on the break.

Im games prior to that I tried posession football late in the game only to be pegged back.

Have you viewed my PKM? Everyone has flamed me for not showing any proof to my rant, yet next to no one has watched 2 pkms I uploaded in this very thread.

Why do I keep getting asked the same questions that I have not only answered, but also supplied the actual matches so people can tell me what they think went wrong.

In all fairness, even though you may have appologized, you set yourself up to it. You're doing it again, in parts, even if it isn't your intention. There was a reason why wwfan asked you a question here, which is to make sure you have a basic understanding of what you're talking about - and thus doing in-game. It might look to you as if he's merely repeating same same questions, but if it does, it's likely down to your lack of understanding of tactical concepts and how they're put into the game. But that is a thing wwfan needs to know in order to help you any further. Viewing a match file won't provide those answers.

In all fairness, even though you may have appologized, you set yourself up to it. You're doing it again, in parts, even if it isn't your intention. There was a reason why wwfan asked you a question here, which is to make sure you have a basic understanding of what you're talking about - and thus doing in-game. It might look to you as if he's merely repeating same same questions, but if it does, it's likely down to your lack of understanding of tactical concepts and how they're put into the game. But that is a thing wwfan needs to know in order to help you any further.

This is exactly my point why come on here to rant instead of asking for help there is a difference. There's no shame in asking for a bit of help now and again, all ranting does is getting people back up and so does calling them "tools" (I know Svenc didn't say this but someone else did) but i'll let that slide since so many people have had a go at him.

He's obviously not ebjoying the game so why come on here and try to ruin what other people think of a a good game that's what i don't understand but in all fairness to him he has posted his matches and no one has came back to him with an answer i know I won't cos I have my own tactical issues to sort out with FC UNITED but hey each to their own.

The people I referred to as "tools" were the people who posted pics of dummies and took personal digs and demanded more information without actually adding anything to the thread.

Of course I am going to say negative things, when the first answer to my thread is a pic of a dummy.

What do you expect me to do? I am already annoyed at the game, then I have to put up with abuse from people and just sit back and nod?

I did rant, and I said it was going to be a rant, but I also added quite a fair bit of constructive feedback and went to post up my matches.

I also told wwfan that why I played counter attacking, and I am still being asked why I did it.

Other people have also posted their thoughts about counter attacking being a way to preserve a lead and as I answered (approx 5 times) I did it because I was up 3-0 and I knew PSG would throw people forward and even play 4-2-4 and leave huge gaps, thus playing on the counter and making them pay for throwing men forward.

So stop asking me the basic principles of football and tactics and watch the pkm's and tell me what went wrong.

Im going out to town now, so I look forward to seeing more abuse when I get back.

"Counter attacking" football does not, at all imply you are first and foremost looking to increase your lead.

The counter is the very best strategy to defend a lead before the later stages of the match. Counter implies a sturdy defensive setup, with a view to exploiting a quick counter in order to keep the opponents honest. It prevents them from comfortably pushing numbers forward, as they know they are risking conceding another goal.

Of course in the latter stages (final 15 minutes or so), this becomes ineffective, because they have to gamble, so the counter will no longer work as a thread to keep them honest.

Those lambasting people for using the counter-attack to defend a lead as some sort of ridiculous tactic don't know as much as they think.

But I would go further, in FM10 and FM09 I find Ctr Att is the perfect response to the dreaded 424 AI. I nearly always score on the break then. True the AI dont defend as solidly at 424 but my breaks are very incisive.

Marek, whilst I have not shared your experiences and I have found that the new TI Wizard used with the T&TT document (I have all 60+ pages printed out nearby at all times, and am not ashamed!) advice, has made me relatively sucessful, however I feel your Posts so far deserve a little more respect from the Community. Keep giving feedback and try not to rise to those that have nothing worthwhile to say.

Thanks,

Yes I ranted - but if I didn't care, I wouldn't get upset.

I will try get less emotional in future and try to ignore the kiddies.

The people I referred to as "tools" were the people who posted pics of dummies and took personal digs and demanded more information without actually adding anything to the thread.

yeah i agree they are (a bit...) I wasn't personally attacking you and in no way was I trying to atagonise you but i'd thought I'd put in my observations like I said I'm new to the forums so I have an outsiders veiwpoint.

Besides Marek I used to be like you with FM until this years versuion and I starte reading the forums

I hated FM for all the crazt things it sies like scores a goal in injury time to win the game 3-2 or scores a goal straight after you have scored hell it still drives me crazy but after reading an finding out that it's not the game and that I might be oing something wrong I decided to make a change with this years version and look a lot deeper into where i was going wrong in my games and whule I can say it hasn't fixed my leaking goals issue entierly there have been changes i have made where I have made clean sheets etc.

Hell I playing as FCunited right now and haven' lost a leauge game yet in 9 games. Just lost my first cup game last night sue to playes being idiots but hey that's football.

All I'm saying is try to have a lillte more paitence and on't make it look like your attacking the game for the sake of it tbh that what you have done so of course the makers are gonna go defensive on you

Love how I'm getting branded a tool when I'm not the one who had a hissy fit. WP OP :thup:

You sure it's a band air you need and not some anal cream to help those burns and splinters. and did someone not tell you that you could get lead poisoning:D

After seeing this pointless thread, I decided to start a season with Marseille to see if they really have retarded players. Played 4 friendly games against top European sides so far and 3 clean sheets. So that shows that Marseille players are happy playing under someone who doesn't have 'motorbike mechanic' or 'pub manager' as his past experience. :D

Just a couple of general points to consider:

1. The argumnet "it doesn't happen this much in real life" is entirely invalid. In real life, managers don't repeat the same mistake over and over again. If you keep doing the wrong thing tactically, convincing yourself it's the fault of the engine, then you'll keep getting the same issues.

2. Ask any real-life coach or manager what they consider the most dangerous half-time scoreline. They'll say 2-0. It's actually amazing how many comebacks there are.

3. There are not less goals in the lower leagues. Pur simply, everything is relative. The strikers may not be as good, but nor are the defenders and keepers.

If I'm leading by 2 or more at h-t, I tend to switch to control and a higher defensive line, it compresses the space and makes it harder for the opp to play. Dropping back and setting counter-attacking may seem logical in the immediate sense, but it's not, because you are then a) inviting them on and b) at the same time actively looking to get forward when opportunities arise

why come on here and try to ruin what other people think of a a good game

Personal opinion can't ruin anything for you as far as I'm concerned. :)

but in all fairness to him he has posted his matches and no one has came back to him with an answer i know I won't cos I have my own tactical issues to sort out with FC UNITED but hey each to their own.

Probably because there have been quite a number of people offering help and commiting their time all along, only to be be shrugged off. That's why. That thing is still going on, if unintentionally. wwfan asked a question he needs an answer for before further trying to adress this. Viewing a match file won't provide those answers. Everything written, be it sarcasm or else points to a fundamental lack of understanding of some concepts and how they're put into the game. You're not going to see that by watching a match. wwfan is not asking same same questions. He's trying to help. Some might wonder why he's still doing.

Personal opinion can't ruin anything for you as far as I'm concerned. :)

Probably because there have been quite a number of people offering help and commiting their time all along, only to be be shrugged off. That's why. That thing is still going on, if unintentionally. wwfan asked a question he needs an answer for before further trying to adress this. Viewing a match file won't provide those answers. Everything written, be it sarcasm or else points to a fundamental lack of understanding of some concepts and how they're put into the game. You're not going to see that by watching a match. wwfan is not asking same same questions. He's trying to help. Some might wonder why he's still doing.

I agree with you on that - it's like phoning up a customer helpline and shouting down the phone at them. When they start asking questions it's like.... not my fault.

I've been on both sides of this as I do customer service for a living. The only way your gonna get answers is by asking questions not going off on one and then ignoring the person whos trying to help you. Albeit when on the phone can be quite funny sometimes. I worked for a mobile phone company and had one woman on the phone throw a phone across a store all because she couldn't get a loan phone given to her as the store didn't have any andd she though i could help

Your behaviour in this thread is beginning to get irritating so please cut it out.

Granted I've been a little off topic and maybe a tad goading, but considering the OP was throwing his toys out the pram, I don't think I've been too bad. In fact, I've seen far worse things not even get commented on by moderators

Granted I've been a little off topic and maybe a tad goading, but considering the OP was throwing his toys out the pram, I don't think I've been too bad. In fact, I've seen far worse things not even get commented on by moderators

The OP has an opinion, which not everyone agrees with, but he has the right to express that opinion and not be subjected to the level of personal comment that has happened. Marek has aplogised for his over reaction and I would suggest that those responding continue to debate without making it personal.

For your information , there are many things that are actioned and commented on that do not get mentioned in a thread.

Sorry Matt, I was willing to let this lit until he posted again.

FrazT: I'm not stupid, I know how moderating on forums works. I know you discuss things in the mods forum after reports and so on. Don't get all condescending with me mate, just because you are a mod does not make you better than me.

Yeah I had a little joke at the OPs expense, but in all fairness, he set himself up for it, which tbf to him, he practically acknowledged by saying he over reacted. I didn't keep pushing that point, I just took umbrage at being called a tool, by more than one person, which imo, is more personal than what I posted.

If, in your eyes, I am in the wrong, fine, that doesn't bother me. Just don't make me out to be a complete ****

Archived