Your worst managerial error of all time.

my worst error was probably on 09, where i signed slightly too many stikers for Man City, and ended up trying to keep Robinho, Higuain, Keirrison, Marquinhos, Aguero, Laurito and a rather impressive regen happy with a 4-4-2. worst thing about it was that come the end of the season, my top scorer was Gourcuff out on the right wing :(

other than that, i dont think i've made massive errors. i just dont sign players for a lot of money (bar Aguero in above failing), so if they flop, they dont cost a lot.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mine was in FM 07! Playing as ireland i had got to the quarter finals of euro 2008! i was playin portugal and after the 2 legs we were even! in the 116 minute (xtra time) i was presuming the game was going into penalties so i took off my 2 worst penaltie takers (goalie and center back) and put on 2 strikers!! they scored twice...... final score ireland 1 portugal 3! :(

You know that in Spain you have to register players for the regular league right?

Well here's the deal. A couple of years ago, I think it was FM05, I was playing with Real Madrid. Just before the transfer deadline I spend all my budget on Pavel Nedved. 2 days later I had to register my players and guess who I forgot?

Yup. Could only play in the CL.

Made almost the exact same mistake with Man Utd once. When registering players for the CL, I pressed Auto Select without really paying attention. Next thing I know, 2 new signings aren't registered because I didn't have enough homegrown players otherwise.

I've had a few, some similar to those already mentioned though :

- I signed Freddy Adu on a free, tempting him to join us by dangling a massive (and I mean MASSIVE) signing on fee. He joined, then left on first day of the transfer window!!! Some how I'd set his contract to end before he would join us (due to the transfer windows) ....... this left me out of pocket by about £10million!

- I signed Andy Van Der Meyde! Enough said, he's simply a terrible player.

- I've gone into several games before with little to no subs on the bench. The worst case of this ended with my side 4 men short through injury, with several others going down injured in the week following the game.

- In my last LLM game on FM09 I had turned around the fortunes of my club and beaten expectations to gain promotion. Wanting to capitalise on the clubs high-flying status I set about securing several free signings - meticulously figuring out how much I'd be willing to pay each player and who I would be keeping on from the current squad in order to remain inside my expected wage budget. BUT this was all undone as I'd forgotten about three other signings I'd already set up - all my good work was undone as these players didn't look as good in the higher division, plus I'd offered them far too much money.

- In previous games I've been quite ruthless with my youth team, often immediately releasing those I dont consider worth training up in order to make way for a new set of U-17s I've signed up. This back fired in one save after I hastily booted out a whole crop of players who looked rather average - this was a bad decision as 5 out of the 8 players went on to be top quality players, with values between £5m and £40m!!!!

• 1 year later...
Mine was in FM 07! Playing as ireland i had got to the quarter finals of euro 2008! i was playin portugal and after the 2 legs we were even! in the 116 minute (xtra time) i was presuming the game was going into penalties so i took off my 2 worst penaltie takers (goalie and center back) and put on 2 strikers!! they scored twice...... final score ireland 1 portugal 3! :(

Erm.....who exactly were you expecting to save the Portugal penalties once you had taken the goalkeeper off?

In the CM when Martin Palermo was amazing i somehow managed to get Man Utd relegated, never in my life had i seen something like this especially as i had a great team. I signed Marcelo Salas after i was relegated but before the season changeover happened, and with my exact same formation won the first division easily and went onto win the premiership and champions league 5 seasons in a row after getting promoted.

Well can just recall one tho. made some misstakes but this was tops it but it was not so much a error as it was stupidity.

Played a network game in FM2007. I was Valencia, my mate was Barcelona. I was first in the league for 37 rounds, but he got past me at the last match day do to me beeing stupid.

And then it was the cup final, he won 3-0, and it was the first win he got over me tht season, and I knew why he won, I made some tacctical changes that was idiotic, but because I was so mad at myself I just played the same tactic and didnt give a **** when I played him in the CL final, so he ofc won that and won the treble.

And his biggest misstake, well there are two big one's. In CM00/01 when I beat his United side 12-1 in CL final with Milan :D 7 goals from shevacheno if i remember correct. :p And in FM06? not totaly sure about the game, but I was LIverpool, he United. And he wanted Gerrard, who was underperforming at my team, so I sold him Gerrard for £50m and C. Ronaldo.

Gerrard floped at united, Ronaldo was amazing for me, scoring winners against him in all the games against him that season, ended up as topscorer and I won everything. He have never sold me a player since that :p

Hmmm

Thinking it would be a good idea to play all strikers in the team (before i learnt about football)

Best: Beating Deportivo in the champions league with my under18s, Irueta got the sack after that (job insecure and i'd already qualified. 4-0 result)

Loving some of these.

I have another one.

Me, my brother, my dad and my nephew have usually always played games together over the years.

Once my nephew was managing Parma and he was terrible at the game.

I was showing him how to search for players and found an 18 year old player who looked decent but nothing special and he wanted the player but couldnt afford it.

So I signed the player, and then sold him to nephew for a bargain price.

I also helped my nephew make a 4-1-3-1-1 formation which I thought would do well.

After 2 or 3 seasons, this 18 year old was one of the best midfielders in the world. Fernarud I think was his name and my nephews side, was one of the best in Europe.

My nephews team was now first in the league and I was 2nd, with Fernarud leading the way on the scorers charts.

I got so upset, I downloaded a save game editor, lowered Fernaruds current ability and lowered every stay by 1-2, just enough so my nephew wouldnt notice.

I then put all my players stats up 1-2 and put their potential abilties up to 200.

Come 3 games to go in the season, I am at home, my nephew needs a win to secure the championship.

My nephew thrashed my team 5-0 with Fernarud getting all 5 goals.

As soon as he won the league, he "Retired" never to play CM/FM again.

:(

It wasn't Alexander Farnerud by any chance was it?

CM03/04, final day of season. Was playing Wolves who were 20th in Prem and I was just about to take Reading to their maiden Premership title. I was 3 points above 2nd place Man U at the time with like a +7 goal difference on them. So I gave the players I was considereing transferring a run. I got hammered and Man U demolished their opposition.

I was so ashamed I resigned and went to manage in the Australian Leagues.

in CM01 i think it was, i was playing as man utd and i gavew becks a high contract n forgot to take his min fee off. he accepted the contract and next day i had to sell him to munich coz they activated his min fee. from that day to this i check the min fee every time lol. we live and learn hey lol.

I'm sure some of the people here have the same problem, but my biggest mistake was hoarding the good players discovered by the forums. So a few years ago (FM07 or 08), I bought Podolski, Huntelaar, Bojan, Milan, Vela, Aguero, and I was playing as Man Utd, so I had Rooney and Tevez. Spent a fortune.

Ended up ****ing all of them off because Rooney and Tevez were the most consistent.

I did it today. I won 4 in a row playing 442 then decided to change to 451 for a difficult away match. 2-0 down at HT, changed back to my usual 442 ended up drawing 2-2.

Why did I feel the need to tinker with it?

I thought I was being so clever with my one off formation.

Putting Wayne Rooney in goal. But he actually could stop shots! So I put Ferdinand in there instead as he is an even more rubbish keeper.

I was sacked by November, which sabotaged my plan to get ManU relegated. I suppose next time I'll try and see if adding more managers will let me continue to try to slay the red devils.

Maybe not as big erors as some on here but i made a pretty bad one last night

Not realising that Italian clubs can only sign 1 non e-u player a year, playing as Fiorentina i signed a young 18 year old Chilean on a free for my youth team. Of course this using up my 1 player quota for the season so having to abandon plans to sign Suarez from Ajax and a couple of other top players for at least a year

In FM11, putting my reserve-goalie in the team as a striker by accident. Got him off in the 5th minute when I saw my error. Then he started to moan about me trying to force him in a position he didnt like, and it wasnt to be fixed in the private talk. Had to sell him in the end... Lame bug really, to get fed up like that for such a slight error on my behalf.

On this years as Gatehead had Garry Mulligan as a target man but after promotion to the football league I knew he was no where near good enough, Got rid and replaced him with Liam Hatch from Peterborough BIG MISTAKE. Luckily enough managed to pursuade Marcus Bent to sign.. Point of the post.

NOT THINKING A HIGHER DIVISION PLAYER IS ALWAYS THE ANSWER

Other than the usual buying too many of the same player (often when signing bosmans and forgetting I already had someone coming in) my biggest mistake recently was getting the ingame year wrong when negotiating my own contract extention.

I was enjoying managing Vasteras IK in Sweden and just got them promoted to D1 when my contract was due to expire. I was offered another year but was tempted to ask for the maximum possible (so changed the expiry to the max allowed) but changed my mind and set the expire back to the lowest option (thinking it was for a year). Unfortunately I signed a contract for 7 weeks and the board wouldn't let me sign another as my last one was signed too recently and they wouldn't rehire me :(

• SI Staff

Recently, signing Julio Arca for my Southampton team on £20k per week and him being rubbish and injured all the time is a pretty bad failure.

Back on 01/02 I paid £55M for Zambrotta and forgot I only gave him a 1 year deal and my mate snapped him up on a pre-contract in January. :(

Archived