dafuge's FM08 small club to big club challenge

• Replies 11.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by kaNovi:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Spurs1979:

Well I think my game is unplayable now, impossible not to go stupidly in debt because of the stadium. I imagine I'll be about £6m-£7m in debt come the end of the season, just hope that's not enough to earn me a points reduction icon_frown.gif

I have the same problem. its ridicouless!!!!!!!

I cant believe how many big bugs there are for LLM. Its Terrible.

Im gonna be about 10,mio euro i debth before i get my new stadium </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That isn't a bug. At the start of the game quite a few teams have massive loan debts. Basically you've just got to be keeping on top of the interest and hoping you break into the Premier League to be able to pay it all off.

As long as you don't hit a wall with respect to performances, you should be fine.

Matlock - BSN 2008/2009 mid-season summary

Matlock started the season on fire, with a 4-1 chomping of Farsley, who currently sit in 9th position in the BSN. Although the exciting start didn't last long, with a run of three straight losses. The newly promoted team were also running into injury troubles with Tom Clarke and Jonathan Pringle, the teams two leading strikers, injured for a month, leaving back-up striker Billy Marshall, and youth Mark Morgan to take control.

Amazingly, the team hit a vein of form, going unbeaten in 6 games (winning 5), which was highlighted by a 2-0 win over newly promoted Bedford who were currently leading the points race. The run ended with a 2-3 loss to Leigh, and considering the absence of midfielder Russ Penn (due to his 3rd red card of the season) it wasn't a bad result, with Clarke and Pringle both scoring.

After 2 wins, a draw and 2 losses in the next 5 league games, Matlock put on their best display yet. With a multi-record breaking performance, they managed to bad Nuneaton 9-2, with Clarke netting a record 5 goals. This win propelled the team to hit a 5 game winning streak, which is still currently unbroken.

The cups have been less amazing for the Matlock side. The teams darkest day under MachinegunHead's rule, was being knocked out in the 4th qualifying round of the FA Cup in quite an emphatic fashion to non-league Frickley, 2-0. Expected to win comfortably, the team showed no effort, and was a performance the Gladiators will be quick to forget.

The Setanta Sheild also ended quite quickly, being knocked out in the 2nd northern round by Worksop with an uncharacteristic 6-1 loss. Many fans are starting to hint at an existence of a Matlock cup voodoo, with the team drastically under performing in most cup ties. Upon hearing the fans joke about poor cup results, MachinegunHead has decided to make the most of the FA Trophy. Recently beating rivals Boston Utd in the first round, he is looking to take the game to Weymouth in the 2nd round who find themselves in 21st position in the Blue Square Premier.

MachinegunHead has certainly proved himself as a manager with potential, but many pundits are expecting the 2nd half of the season to be very testing of him and his underexperienced squad.

Manager Overview

Not a single pundit would have picked how the Blue Square Northern league has turned out so far this season. 3 of the 6 top teams in the current standings are newly promoted teams Bedford, Worksop and Matlock. This years Blue Square Northern league seems to be one fans wont be able to take their eyes off.

BSN mid-year Table

Originally posted by MachinegunHead:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kaNovi:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Spurs1979:

Well I think my game is unplayable now, impossible not to go stupidly in debt because of the stadium. I imagine I'll be about £6m-£7m in debt come the end of the season, just hope that's not enough to earn me a points reduction icon_frown.gif

I have the same problem. its ridicouless!!!!!!!

I cant believe how many big bugs there are for LLM. Its Terrible.

Im gonna be about 10,mio euro i debth before i get my new stadium </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That isn't a bug. At the start of the game quite a few teams have massive loan debts. Basically you've just got to be keeping on top of the interest and hoping you break into the Premier League to be able to pay it all off.

As long as you don't hit a wall with respect to performances, you should be fine. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Still though.. isnt it unbelievable stupid to buy a new stadium 15000 seater for 46 mio in league 1 =!=

Theoretically it shouldn't influence the regens that you get, if someone were to view the top leagues only. And in my case it would have only been something I would have done if I made it to the ECL.

It was the one small disappointment of the challenge last year..as I like to scout teams myself sometimes to prepare for a match; Well that point is now moot as I have taken the Gloucester City save from the downloads.

Have fun, thats the idea eh?

Two seasons to report on due to technical difficulties in getting on the web.

AFC WIMBLEDON

Season 09/10

Champions of the BLUE SQUARE SOUTHERN

Romped away with the league title by an amazing 19 points. Started the season with a defeat but never looked back after that with a run of 17 games undefeated.

Charlie Sheringham on loan from my parent club, Crystal Palace, was the start man, scoring 26 in 32 games.

Also won manager of the year.

Season 10/11

First season in the BLUE SQUARE

Struggled big time. My winning formation from the previous season wasn't working as well and i couldn't settle on a formation. I had to win my last game of the season to stay up, which i did. So lots to imrpove on next season.

Will promise to post some screenshots of my next season with a more regular report.

Originally posted by St0ked:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kaNovi:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by spankie:

Now to the worst signing:

Tom Banks

My most expensive signing yet coming to the club for a whopping 425k! my coaches says he would be a good signing for any Premier division team, but he played terrible the whole season, and was eventually dropped from the team, Gutted icon_frown.gif

I'd try to loan him out next season to another League 1 or even a good League 2 side where he'll get plenty of playing time.

I suspect that his relatively low Anticipation and Concentration might have an effect on his game. He just needs plenty of games to help him develop and it's much better that he makes mistakes at other teams rather then yours. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats a good idea, ill try that icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agility 10, balance 8. icon_eek.gif In my opinion these are two of the most important stats for a keeper. To be honest I'd flog him, I hate keepers with poor agility and balance as they are awful shot stoppers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well my other great keeper is worse then icon_frown.gif

Kehayov

Preseason update being processed, need to get some screenshots of the new Gateshead Squad and then I will post it, but with one win one draw and 5 losses not so good though I did play 2 league 1 sides and 1 league 2 side :p All in close areas to my team. Couldn't play a local derby Newcastle and Sunderland wouldn't accept, but I like my 11000 seat stadium icon_wink.gif

PS Love the story of how Super Kyle came about, but just never had a spot for him in my squad, oh and there is the fact I love my own signings...and finding that little gem in the rough, so ready and hoping that my Gateshead team has some now that I have made all my signings including a current international, I will show below, and also if anyone needs trial or scouting proof I can post them, I scouted anyone who I wanted and couldn't see stats if I had them on my list, but couldn't scout they have a great trial with me...

Originally posted by LSSR:

still i need help formation wise

enigma isn't working (4-1-3-2)

and 4-4-2 atatcking is bringing me draws =(

The Tactic is one of my own, but the formation is 4-3-1-2. I set the fullbacks, to wingbacks and give arrows up the pitch for wide midfielders. I've used this tactic for the past two challenges and it has proved quite effective for me. Well i've completed the challenge both years, was the fastest to complete the challenge the 1st year and 2nd last year icon_wink.gif

Can't give all the details, but this is the basic concept icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by rashidi1:

Jimbo you're doing a lot better than last year!

I'm actually doing worse!

Last year I started the challenge 3 times

Once out of the box and once more out of each patch.

The first time it took me 2 seasons to get out of Conference South, but the 2nd 2 times I got promoted at the first attempt.

This year I have struggled.

Don't get me wrong. I'm quite chuffed finishing in the playoffs in both seasons the way I play, but just because I don't concede goals doens'nt make me a table topper.

I think my style of play often causes me to lose points that might be there for the taking, but I'm worried about morale issues, (that we won't go into), that I have experienced when we lose.

This style is sort of an attempt to gat around the morale issue.

Well, that and the fact that I just HATE losing at anything.

5 wins and 5 draws give me 20 points.

7 wins and 3 losses gives me 21 points.

I would pich the former over the latter any day icon_rolleyes.gif.

Originally posted by stinger061:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rlipscombe:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

He's been my fans player of the year in 08/09 & 09/10.

Really? might have to give him another chance then as partner to Zavon Hines.

also, has anyone had Andy Caton playing for them?? he's available on a free transfer and will come to me, but will cost me £500 p/w wages which is a lot for me. is he worth it?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not sure if you have made a decision on this or not yet because im still currently reading through the updates since i was last here but it is very much worth it. He was the sole reason behind my first season promotion from the Blue Square South scoring a large number of goals and he continues to in the Blue Square Premier.

For me he now sits on something like 48 league goals in 52 matches. A must have if you can get your hands on him </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

unfortunately i missed out on Andy Caton. for some reason he decided he'd rather play league football with Stockport..... icon_frown.gif who can blame him. anyway, the search for a striker continues.

Kings Lynn BSN 09/10 End of Season Review

We ended up finishing 7th on 70pts missing out on the play offs by 3pts. rather strangly all 4 teams from 2nd to 5th finished the season on 73pts. We did achieve all our aims in the cups though so the board are very happy at present and i still have 2 years left on my current deal soeverything is looking ok at present although i need to get out of this league.

A rather disapointing season after last years trip to the play off final but we werent helped by long term injuries to key players including last season top scorer who was out for 4 months and our captain who missed the last 5 months.

I cant decide what route to take for next season now, do i give this squad a 3rd chance at trying to achieve promotion and just bring in a few additions like last year or do i say there not good enough and go for a complete overhaul? Im definitley going to bring in a few more experienced players as my squad average age is only 21

Staff wise ive already brought in Paul Butler as ass manager due to his knowledge of Ireland and Scotland and appointed Dino Mammria as a youth coach for his african knowledge as before this i only had knowledge of England and Wales. Hopefully this will give me access to a few more players.

Tactics wise im not sure what to do again. I only conceded 27 goals last year (the best in the league) but only scored 50 myself. I dont want to make massive changes as defensively im very solid but has anyone got any tips on how maybe i could score a few more?

Training wise everyone is just on General training and ive never done anything with it and wouldnt know were to start. How important is the training schedule and has anyone got any advice as i think im going to try and change it this season.

Also how much will i need in the bank before i can get youth and training facilities improved? My balance is about 300k at the minute.

In 2010 now so hopefully some of these foreigners with 2nd Nationality English will start showing up on my player search.

Stamford - Blue Square Premier - 2012/13 End of Season Update

After scraping a win in the playoff finals last season, I was somehow promoted to the BSP. As a result I spend the entire pre-season trying to figure out how I could strengthen an entire squad without going too far over budget. I ended up not buying that many players and just prayed what I had would get me somewhere.

After a slow start to the season and calls in the press for me to change my formation, I settled on a new tactic that seems to be working. Finished 14th overall and hope to be able to build on that for next season.

Highlight of the season was my semi final appearance in the Setanta Shield. Also selling 200 more season tickets than previous seasona and generally getting much improved attendances, which can only have helped my finances.

Gateshead - BS North - Preseason 08/09

Well to start with a Euro update, now how does everyone think England fared?

Des Tiny stepped into Gateshead after the Chairman had a break down and has attempted to right a sinking ship with a huge 13 days before his first friendly. In 13 days he made 20 signings including managing to bring in one current international player and a large number of young possible future stars.

The Possible Stars

Hoolickin - A signing in an 07 game he is a star in the midfield at the back or as a left wing and also scores some goals especially from the penalty spot.

Boto - A great signing and current international for Uganda with 5 caps and 3 goals. He will play as the central striker and at only 19 has a long career ahead of him.

Cochrane - The Captain of the Squad at 25 and a star in defense has stopped a few scoring chances already in the preseason.

Marshall - Another star striker with a huge future, can he be the difference for Gateshead?

Graham - The Defender who would be a great signing for any League 2 team, great to see him in the Gateshead colours.

Wells - Is just as strong as my other two goalies, but he has better potential and as such takes the starting place. He may have conceded some goals, but he did play against all the top opposition, but will be judged on early league results.

The Friendlies

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

vs Harrogate (BSN) 4-2 HT: 3-0 Att: 73

Marshall (6) Boto (23) Hoolickin (pen 36) Tipton (72)

vs Hartlepool (L1) 0-5 HT: 0-3 Att: 1048

at Barrow (BSN) 1-1 HT: 0-1

Hoolickin (85)

vs Darlington (L2) 0-1 HT: 0-0 Att: 258

vs Blyth (BSN) 0-0 HT: 0-0 Att: 117

vs Carlisle (L1) 0-1 HT: 0-1 Att: 858

at Workington (BSN) 1-2 HT: 0-2

Jarvis (84)

</pre>

Des was delighted with his new squads start and saw the game against Harrogate as a sign of many goals to come in the season and was disappointed to allow 2 goals late with his second team on the park. Then he was disappointed with few goals following that but delighted with results vs Carlisle and Darlington. And a 1-2-1 vs teams in the BS North was a good start as well.

Des finished his signings with a second international player from africa. This time he picked up Mamdouba from Guinea. A single cap to his name and a reason to get some action at an English club.

This left him ready to head into the League with a full squad and several reserves lined up and ready. Weekly Wednesday games were organised for his reserves with other North teams for any training, development and to gain Match fitness and he was ready to go.

Other Non-English Nationals

Tipton

Gibson

Originally posted by Scab:

I think I found another gem of a Bulgarian striker to replace Dimitar Ivanov:

Meet Rumen Luleyski. icon_cool.gif

Bagged a hattrick on his debut. icon14.gif

he looks quality!! you've a star there... good pace, great acceleration, good technique and a born finisher... he should bang them in!! oh for a player like that for my Worksop team......... icon_rolleyes.gif

Halesowen Town 2011/2012

League One - Media prediction 22nd

Another successful season for the yeltz, but also the first without promotion. The offseason acquisitionof a couple of defenders and a defensive minded midfielder helped to quash the defensive concerns of the previous season. Though it took a little time for my signings to gel, this was by far the most consistent season to date. Strong form from December onwards took us to the 4th round of the FA cup, with a narrow 1-0 defeat away to the Arsenal, and hauled us from a comfortable mid-table position towards the playoff places. 'Here we go again' I thought... (following 3 successive playoff victories). Once in the playoff places, the team's form plateaued slightly, and there was never any threat to the automatic promotion spots, though our final position of 5th was way beyond my preseason expectations.

Unfortunately, my team were outclassed in the semi final, with a 3-1 aggregate defeat to Coventry city, who went on to beat Brighton at Wembley.

Top scorer

Squad

Graph

Congrats to parent club WBA, who won the league cup and lost in the FA cup final. However, this season they only offerred me a single loan player, whose transfer fell through due to work permit issues.

I am predicted to finish 6th next time round, and have told my board to expect promotion!

The stadium has been approved for expansion, though the capacity in the meantime will be little over 4000. My training and youth facilities will also be improved again. Thank you Mr. Chairman.

Next year, ex-premiership Wigan Athletic will be joining us in the 3rd tier of English Football.

Congrats to spurs1979 for promotion to the Championship. Fingers crossed i'll be there soon icon_rolleyes.gif

Originally posted by chrishunt1212:

I am having trouble logging into the website, where is the best place to get help? I have filled in a contact form on there a couple of days ago, but haven't had a reply yet.

No im here, I thought id dealt with all support issues. Check your email icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Des Tiny:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by redordead999:

Equally adept as playing as a player?

I had that too, but couldn't find which player it was, now going to have to search for it.

Does it mean he is good with the ladies? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Surely that would be playa. icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Allan:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by chrishunt1212:

I am having trouble logging into the website, where is the best place to get help? I have filled in a contact form on there a couple of days ago, but haven't had a reply yet.

No im here, I thought id dealt with all support issues. Check your email icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Got it. Thanks.

icon14.gif

Now to upload my screenshots. icon_biggrin.gif

Right, now I am logged in I will post my profile.

This is my first go at Dafuge's challenge and I wanted it to be tough, so, after about 100 reloads the team I chose was Mangotsfield United with a reputation of 850.

Here is my manager profile, I have covered my manager pic because I didn't want everyone to be jealous of my good looks. icon_razz.gif

Originally posted by hee163:

Halesowen Town 2011/2012

League One - Media prediction 22nd

Another successful season for the yeltz, but also the first without promotion. The offseason acquisitionof a couple of defenders and a defensive minded midfielder helped to quash the defensive concerns of the previous season. Though it took a little time for my signings to gel, this was by far the most consistent season to date. Strong form from December onwards took us to the 4th round of the FA cup, with a narrow 1-0 defeat away to the Arsenal, and hauled us from a comfortable mid-table position towards the playoff places. 'Here we go again' I thought... (following 3 successive playoff victories). Once in the playoff places, the team's form plateaued slightly, and there was never any threat to the automatic promotion spots, though our final position of 5th was way beyond my preseason expectations.

Unfortunately, my team were outclassed in the semi final, with a 3-1 aggregate defeat to Coventry city, who went on to beat Brighton at Wembley.

Top scorer

Squad

Graph

Congrats to parent club WBA, who won the league cup and lost in the FA cup final. However, this season they only offerred me a single loan player, whose transfer fell through due to work permit issues.

I am predicted to finish 6th next time round, and have told my board to expect promotion!

The stadium has been approved for expansion, though the capacity in the meantime will be little over 4000. My training and youth facilities will also be improved again. Thank you Mr. Chairman.

Next year, ex-premiership Wigan Athletic will be joining us in the 3rd tier of English Football.

Congrats to spurs1979 for promotion to the Championship. Fingers crossed i'll be there soon icon_rolleyes.gif

congratulations on a good season, despite the play-off defeat. sure you'll bounce back stroner next year!!

a couple of questions on your squad. i have Hotchkiss in my team and he was BSN player of the season 2008/09. have you had him all the way through, and if not, how much did he cost you?? interested in his value you see... Do you play him in midfield alongside steven morrison? i have just signed him as well and am curious as to whether they can play together.

good luck next season!!

'Lo,

Great read, and challenge, this year. As always really. I've always sort of done the challenge, in a reasonably lax way without posting but I thought this year I'd give it a go.

I'm a season or so in, and I'll be sticking screenies, and getting on the webpage, soon icon_smile.gif

Just wondered though, how many people are using their own nationality? I know using your own is encouraged but I, since FM05, manage as a sort of alter ego.

I had a player called Rodrigo De la Vega who was awesome in a career game I did so now in his honour I manage as him. That means my nationality is Mexican/Irish rather than the English/Irish it would be....that going to be a problem?

Mangotsfield United 2008/09

I started off by putting job adverts for my staff.

1 x Ass Manager

1 x Youth Coach

1 x Fitness Coach

1 x Coach

1 x Scout

1 x Physio

After a week all positions were filled, I managed to get a physio with a rating of 17 in physiotherapy.

I was also allowed to hire a maximum of 2 scouts, which I did, and 1 was pretty decent had judging PA of 12, and judging CA of 8.

I then started to find players, I think I had about 30 trialists at one point, about 10 weren't good enough, and the rest I signed up. I also managed to get a pretty decent left winger too from my parent club Cheltenham.

Transfers

A couple of possible gems are

Zavon Hines

Zavon Hines coach report

Adam Connolly

Adam Connolly coach report

I also have another decent young midfielder called Jordan Eagers, but I forgot to do his screenshots, so I will post them later because I am at work at the moment.

Here's my loan signing

Aaron Ledgister

Aaron Ledgister coach report

I arranged 5 pre-season games to have a chance to tinker with my tactics, and also to see how good my players were that were on trial. Unfortunately I didn't get off to a good start I lost my first game 3-1 against a half decent Stalybridge side, I then managed to scrape a draw with Newport County before suffering an embarrassing 2-0 defeat to Windsor & Eton.

After that things got better, I beat Billericay 4-0 and followed that up with an excellent 3-2 win over Hinckley.

Hinckley are a team in the same division as me, but are tipped to finish in the top 6, and they played well and even took a 2-1 lead by half time. But, after a bit of encouragement my team came out for the second half and played their socks off and were victorious.

Pre-season

That's as far as I have got for now, but there will be more to follow.

*** Chelmsford city 2010/11 update***

Just finished an outstanding ehich will probably have to go down as one of my best league performance's ever! As you will see from the past positions screenshot i was top for 90% of the season. Again i have to admit it was hugely down to some spectacular loan signings from West Ham but the main thing is i am in the conferance!

Blue square south 2010/11

Past positions

Success at the 3rd attempt!

Carshalton End of Season Update! - 2010/2011

Final League Position - 13th - Blue Square Premier

Carshalton League History - Even though we finished a position ahead of last season, we still managed to collect less points, conceed more goals, and lose more games.

Board Confidence - That dreaded bug is going to strike if i dont get the patch within the next 2 seasons. High confidence bars in all the competitions, just an empty bar for the 'Long term expectations'

Mananger Profile - Neppo

Manager Overview - A great run in the FA Trophy, making it to the Semi's for the first time in our history.

Transfers - A major problem this season, unable to find players suitable for my club, especially considering the board have not given me and transfer funds for 3 seasons now, despite making healthy profits each year. My scouts are a little ********, and rate almost every player they scout as better than my entire team. icon_frown.gif

Carshalton - Club Info

Club Records

Player Records

Team Sheet - Four players sharing the bulk of the goals this season, but after 3 years of searching, i just cant seem to find a great BSP striker.

Sam Collier - The man of the hour. Hero of the season. The Super Goalkeeper, pitching in with 5 goals, and 3 assists, and a massive 11 Man of the Match awards. With 16 clubs touting for his services, i dont know how long ill be able to keep him, and he really is a gem in my team. Im amazed at how his stats have progressed.

All in all, not a great season. I was hoping that i could have atleast pushed for the playoffs. Next season i will spend a lot of time looking for the right players to improve my team, better my back room staff and improve tactics.

Still lovging the challenge...

Originally posted by chrishunt1212:

Mangotsfield United 2008/09

I started off by putting job adverts for my staff.

1 x Ass Manager

1 x Youth Coach

1 x Fitness Coach

1 x Coach

1 x Scout

1 x Physio

After a week all positions were filled, I managed to get a physio with a rating of 17 in physiotherapy.

I was also allowed to hire a maximum of 2 scouts, which I did, and 1 was pretty decent had judging PA of 12, and judging CA of 8.

I then started to find players, I think I had about 30 trialists at one point, about 10 weren't good enough, and the rest I signed up. I also managed to get a pretty decent left winger too from my parent club Cheltenham.

Transfers

A couple of possible gems are

Zavon Hines

Zavon Hines coach report

Adam Connolly

Adam Connolly coach report

I also have another decent young midfielder called Jordan Eagers, but I forgot to do his screenshots, so I will post them later because I am at work at the moment.

Here's my loan signing

Aaron Ledgister

Aaron Ledgister coach report

I arranged 5 pre-season games to have a chance to tinker with my tactics, and also to see how good my players were that were on trial. Unfortunately I didn't get off to a good start I lost my first game 3-1 against a half decent Stalybridge side, I then managed to scrape a draw with Newport County before suffering an embarrassing 2-0 defeat to Windsor & Eton.

After that things got better, I beat Billericay 4-0 and followed that up with an excellent 3-2 win over Hinckley.

Hinckley are a team in the same division as me, but are tipped to finish in the top 6, and they played well and even took a 2-1 lead by half time. But, after a bit of encouragement my team came out for the second half and played their socks off and were victorious.

Pre-season

That's as far as I have got for now, but there will be more to follow.

Zavon Hines is quality!! got me over 20 goals in my first season as Worksop manager. was a little slow getting going but was on fire after a couple of months. hang on to him as long as you can.

also have Cooney in my squad. a back-up player really for me but a solid centre midfielder...

good luck with your challenge!!

I finally managed to kick the season off, first game was away to Norwich & I've decided to totally change my tactic for this season & my approach.

Out goes my very attacking 4312 formation that was reliant on other teams having extremely poor defenders & in comes a 451 defensive formation in hope I can stem the goals this season & avoid relegation. It's a standard flat back 4 wtih very defensive full backs this season, flat midfield 5 with true wingers on each flank, with 1 attacking central midfielder & 2 defensive ones either side of him.

I'll use the pace & shooting perfection of Dag Alexander Olsen up front & hope midfield can add a few goals to provide the attacking threat.

I've got plenty of worries going into the game, obviously the stadium & debt situation. Also I have 3 players in there last year of there contracts refusing to sign deals. I am in no position to risk it so I'll give them a month to sign a deal but if they don't then I'll have to move them on. Just a shame the players in question are Dag Alexander Olsen, Curtis Obeng & Aridane. I feel confident of getting Obeng to sign 1 but the other 2 I feel are wanting moves to bigger clubs.

So I kick off the first game playing 5 new faces in the team & in a game where I created quite a bit & didn't give away as many chances as I usually do we lost to a 85th minute winner. We were the better team though & I feel slightly more confident in avoiding relegation on this performance away from home.

Next game was against Grays in the cup, we won 3-1 creating 28 chances on goal. Straight after the game WBA bid £1m for my Norwegian central midfielder, now he's been a great servent for me but at 25 years of age & having shown absolutely no improvement in the last 12 months I believe he's playing right at the top of his ability.

I accept the bid & will use the £1m to cover 2 months worth of loan repayments. It's a move I felt I just had to do, ideally I'd keep him but right now I must think of the long term future of the club as this season is so pivotol, get through this year & I'll have a chance but if I don't then I could freefall down a division or 2.

Kristian Vangen's Profile

The Bid

Originally posted by MachinegunHead:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by redordead999:

Equally adept as playing as a player?

Nice logo! Did you make that yourself, or was there a non-league logo pack that I missed? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Okay, ignore that post of mine, I didn't realize an almost identical question was answered a few posts above (I had to reply as soon as I saw the awesome logo, I was too excited by it icon_biggrin.gif).

Also, now that I know the story of Super Kyle, I am truely touched. How you managed to stumble upon the young talent, and make such an affinity with him is amazing. Let alone the fact that you propelled him into stardom. I'm hoping I can do that with my young striker, 'Tom Clarke', although he is English, so I doubt he will get much international success. Time to scout the foreigners I think!

Originally posted by Spurs1979:

Next game was against Grays in the cup, we won 3-1 creating 28 chances on goal. Straight after the game WBA bid £1m for my Norwegian central midfielder, now he's been a great servent for me but at 25 years of age & having shown absolutely no improvement in the last 12 months I believe he's playing right at the top of his ability.

I accept the bid & will use the £1m to cover 2 months worth of loan repayments. It's a move I felt I just had to do, ideally I'd keep him but right now I must think of the long term future of the club as this season is so pivotol, get through this year & I'll have a chance but if I don't then I could freefall down a division or 2.

The Bid

Great player. A shame you'll have to lose him...

Originally posted by NepentheZ:

The Bid

Great player. A shame you'll have to lose him... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He gave me 4 good years since I signed him after he was released by Fredrikstad in Norway. Last year he got 8 goals from midfield & was his best yet, before that he was pretty much average for me. On a positive note I've started well & sit mid table, have got Obeng & Aridane to sign new contracts but Olsen refuses, I just can't afford to see him go for nothing I have to get something for it. Shame as I wanted him to stay so much, even made him captain in hope he'd want to stay after that.

Just had another bid come in for youngster Neil Reid from Bury, £500k + 10%. He's another who did well last year but at 19 years of age I felt wasn't ready for this season, hence me signing Tony Hibbert on a free transfer. I was hoping he'd progress for next season but right now financially I can't afford to be turning down bids like this just yet.

My scouts say he'd be a good championship player so I hope they're right & he doesnt go onto the premiership & embarass me!

His value was only £90k, had 2 years left & was unhappy at not playing so for £500k + 10% I think it's a good deal.

Originally posted by Spurs1979:

Just had another bid come in for youngster Neil Reid from Bury, £500k + 10%. He's another who did well last year but at 19 years of age I felt wasn't ready for this season, hence me signing Tony Hibbert on a free transfer. I was hoping he'd progress for next season but right now financially I can't afford to be turning down bids like this just yet.

My scouts say he'd be a good championship player so I hope they're right & he doesnt go onto the premiership & embarass me!

His value was only £90k, had 2 years left & was unhappy at not playing so for £500k + 10% I think it's a good deal.

No doubt the fact he is 19, and you have a 10% deal on him will come back to surprise you in 4 years or so. Lets just hope Bury don't go far, but Neil Reid gets a few more k's added to his value. Surely with that kind of money you can work the transfer market and get some more fresh talent or experience whilst pocketing some cash?

Archived