Super Bladesman's English National League System Update - Taking FM10 to Level 10

Super Bladesman

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is an immense contribution from you Nik. :D

I can't even begin to imagine how much time and effort you must've put into this.

I've just added a Dorset League Club I used to manage in real life, and created a detailed real life squad and history, and also charted our (imaginary) meteoric rise from the Dorset Premier, through Hampshire Premier and up into the Wessex League Division One; where I shall begin my career as manager of the mighty Oakmead Utd. :D

This is only made possible by your great work, so many thanks to you. :)

This definitely works in game? I'd just edited Level 10 to this exact same system - to see if it would work - this afternoon :D

I was planning to test it tonight. :cool:

Yes, it works spot on.

Tested a season and havent seen problems occur yet.

Thank god for the season overview it gives at the end of each season :D Didn'yt have to trawl through screen upon screen of league tables.

One thing that does get thrown up I've noticed is a few teams changing between the 3 midlands leagues in step 6 to compensate.

i.e. If the two relegated teams from Step 5 are told their preferred league in step 6 are East and West say, that means the combination would get no teams relegated to it but could possibly promote 2. It takes teams from other leagues from the 3 instead to compensate for the relegated ones entering them by moving one each to the combination by the looks.

i.e. Gresley Rovers have been moved from east mids to combination to compensate for 2 teams getting relegated into to East but only 1 promoted.

I can live with teams getting switched in that sort of area and I'm sure it happens in real life.

It might possibly be if teams dont have step 6 preferences in from step 5

Just finished my first season with promotion to Northern League D1, and unfortunately there are 3 discrepancies...

AFC Emley, Liversedge, Felixstowe & Silsden are now all playing in NLD1, which is supposed to be North-Eastern only.

Emley, Silsden & Liversedge I can just about get away with, as they aren't too far south of the boundaries...but Felixstowe??? Surely the game should've placed them somewhere better than that...Hounslow are also now plying their trade in Northern League D2 :(

Shall report it in the 'bugs' forum.

Hi,

in the db, I believe Felixstowe has no associated stadium, and Hounslow's stadium, White Lodge is in Isleworth, but Isleworth has no Long or Lat defined, so I think that may have confused it.

@ Heath

What are you trying to do, edit the file so you don't have to wait?!

:D

In the editors Nation Rules, click Step 9. Change relegations to 28.

Next, click Step 10. Change promotions to 16.

Next, at the top of the Step 10 page Click Playoff.

In the promotion playoff section make sure the 'one playoff for subdivisions' box is checked.

Make the type a Cup.

Number of teams in playoff = 16

number of teams promoted = 12

Then save the database. Voila, fixed the problem

Number of teams in playoff = 16

number of teams promoted = 14

Then save the database. Voila, fixed the problem

That kind of playoff does also work for relegation. I made one with 8 teams in the playoff and 7 relegated. Only one survives the playoff.

Division 1 with 8 groups

Division 2 with 10 groups

8 going down directly, seven in the playoff.

From the 2. Divsion 10 up directly and 5 in a playoff (10/5)

That kind of playoff does also work for relegation. I made one with 8 teams in the playoff and 7 relegated. Only one survives the playoff.

Yes, it would work, however note i've edited the playoff figures. they were wrong before. Its 16 and 12 not 16 and 14.

The game seems to work this out for itself.

Also, you would need to start setting step 10 competition preferences for all step 9 and 10 teams correctly.

I've also found some teams in midlands leagues with no preferences, this might not be helping the midlands teams switching situation.

• SI Staff
Amateur with appearance fees would certainly be the best for Level 9-10 if that is possible. I've not seen any players with such contracts though.

I suppose the distinction between Amateur with appearance fees and genuinely Semi-Pro would be "Have they got the majority of their players on contracts?" to which the answer for 99% of Level 9-10 teams would be "No". Using that definition would mean Level 9-10 teams should be made Amateur but it doesn't quite fit saying sides like Barwell, Stratford Town and Tipton Town are Amateur when they're paying out (allegedly) between £1000 and £2000 to players.

This is an interesting debate and one I'm willing to take advice on. From my time working with a level nine club (admittedly in the 90s), I know that most players were not on contracts, but a few were, if only on £20 pw. But then, the likes of Blakenall (at the time) were able to be the best team in the MFA as they were able to attract the best players financially.

it would technically be possible to adapt this sort of system to make step 10>11 possible also, I believe, SB

I have a feeling that the regional competition data AND the lon/lat of stadiums cities will be required for EVERY team in the English system down to Step 10

it would technically be possible to adapt this sort of system to make step 10>11 possible also, I believe, SB

I have a feeling that the regional competition data AND the lon/lat of stadiums cities will be required for EVERY team in the English system down to Step 10

It's possible that the long/lats for a few stadiums' cities are missing, but I spent several days researching and adding these. It's always possible I missed a few, so I will look into the examples given above :)

These don't really seem to be given the same priority in game however, so aye - the regional competition data would need to be added for many - but ONLY where a preference does actually exist. A lot of clubs have moved around freely over the years!

The two reasons I drew the line at Level 10 were:

- speed: adding more leagues would slow the game down A LOT more, potentially doubling the processing time for each further level added. I'm not sure how adding Level 11 in the background as an inactive division would affect things, it might not be such a big hit. Is it really worth the work though?

- stadiums (and regional competitions): there must be 500 clubs at level 11, I guess. That's a lot of editing for, again, little reward.

That said, I seem to have been able to deal with the major issues already, and really from here on it's only fine-tuning... hopefully!

Also, you would need to start setting step 10 competition preferences for all step 9 and 10 teams correctly.

I've also found some teams in midlands leagues with no preferences, this might not be helping the midlands teams switching situation.

Aye; as I've made clear already this is my next target. I figured adding the regions at 'extreme' ends of the country first would take care of most of the annoyances, particularly the obvious ones. Now I can tackle the rest...

If anyone has information on clubs in the Midlands who would definitely go into one league ahead of another - now is the time to speak up.

For a start, I'm likely to try and link the Spartan South Midlands Level 10 sides to the Spartan South Midlands Level 9 league, e.g.

Concerning midlands

All Northamptonshire & Bedfordshire teams should have united counties down as preferred regional leagues as Im pretty sure their own country leagues feed into this

United counties then mostly feed in Southern League Midlands, which should go Blue Square South (Though I know Corby have been placed into Blue Square North for this season)

Edit: Tbh, what we need is for SI to put a "feeder league" system in play

Meaning promoted/relegated teams should be attempted to be moved into the parent/feeder league before even being attempting to be placed into another league

Hi Super bladesman great work on the file. Couple of things. Substitutes in the FA Cup should be 3 from 7 and substitutes in the step 3 and step 4 leagues should be only 3 from 5.

Also do you have any plans to recreate all rounds of the FA Trophy. I have had a look at this myself and due to Newcastle Blue Star resigning at the beginning of the season I can't seem to work out how the real FA Trophy has worked this season.

Great work can't wait for the next build.

The FA Trophy should be very easy to add all the previous rounds I have just managed to crack it.

Also quite good prize money

Preliminary Round winners (52) £2,000

First Round Qualifying winners (72) £2,300

Second Round Qualifying winners (36) £3,000

These are the 3 rounds not in the game at present.

I'm having speed issues during the actual games is anyone else?

It runs fine during the week but once I get to the a match it takes ages. I re-opened my game that isn't using this update and matches run smoothly. Any ideas? :confused:

I'm having speed issues during the actual games is anyone else?

It runs fine during the week but once I get to the a match it takes ages. I re-opened my game that isn't using this update and matches run smoothly. Any ideas? :confused:

On match days hundreds of matches are generated. You can set detail level to non for some tiers.

Hi Super bladesman great work on the file. Couple of things. Substitutes in the FA Cup should be 3 from 7 and substitutes in the step 3 and step 4 leagues should be only 3 from 5.

ıt seems superbladesman only use 3 from 5 in all leagues (He seems forgot to implement 3 from 7 to FA Cup)

I've just made amendments as per Drakestone and SB's new observations (allowing 1 up, 1 down from level 9/10) and means promotion from level 8 and then promotion and relegation from level 7 upwards is as it is in reality....running a test now to see if where this leaves teams and if there are any major anomalies.

Hounslow have STILL ended up in the Northern League D2! Promotions seem to generally end up in the right places, but unfortunately it's shifted teams around in Level 10, with Newton Aycliffe being swapped from NLD2 to Northern Counties East D1....

hrmm.

Hounslow have STILL ended up in the Northern League D2! Promotions seem to generally end up in the right places, but unfortunately it's shifted teams around in Level 10, with Newton Aycliffe being swapped from NLD2 to Northern Counties East D1....

hrmm.

Until every team has been given regional competition data, this may happen regardless.

Even after they are entered, it may be a case of too many teams are entered into one league so x amount of teams will be moved to another league. Limitations of the game I'm afraid.

Hopefully once that data is inputted, it should happen less often at least.

It will never be perfect. :(

After one season I didnt notice any unusual changes at Step 10 other than the East Mids, West Mids and Midland Combination leagues.

Until every team has been given regional competition data, this may happen regardless.

Even after they are entered, it may be a case of too many teams are entered into one league so x amount of teams will be moved to another league. Limitations of the game I'm afraid.

Hopefully once that data is inputted, it should happen less often at least.

It will never be perfect. :(

After one season I didnt notice any unusual changes at Step 10 other than the East Mids, West Mids and Midland Combination leagues.

I'm trying again with 2 up/2 down from Level 9/10...I think even with regional competitions it won't stop it shifting teams to accommodate, as Newton Aycliffe had all the correct settings. SI seem to be looking into this, hopefully they can patch it so the long/lat is more effective.

It's frustrating, because there are certain leagues it could move teams to which wouldn't be quite so odd as moving a team from the south west to the north east...

hmm, Hounslow moved sideways to Northern League D2 again, this time with Felixstowe.

Northallerton moved sideways to Northern Counties East Div 1 (fair enough, they fall within the boundaries) and Newton Aycliffe moved to the South West Peninsula League :D

Think we'll just have to wait till SI think of a way to fix it!

I didn't see a response to my previous attempt to ask this, but if I download the lite version of the file, will the promotions and relegations between levels 8 and 9 work correctly? I've seen posts in other threads that indicate a bug in FM that causes promotions and relegations between the bottom playable league and the first unplayable league to fail.

Archived