FM10 Small Club to Big Club Big Euro Nation Challenge

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maranhao is suspended for this match, so I'm starting with a 4-4-1-1 with Larrea upfront on his own and di Maria behind him

7 min: Chance for Larrea on his head but his header goes over the bar

18 min: di Maria gets it from Larrea and runs at the defense but Schwaab blocks him just as he was about to pull the trigger

30 min: RED CARD! Regulation goal kick from Adler but Larrea elbows Ibrahim and the ref gives him a straight red :mad: We're down to 10 men now.

di Maria coming off and is replaced by Mizrahi, my only other fit and eligible striker, and we switch to 4-1-3-1

39 min: Switched to counter after the red card and seems to be working. Bernando however mishits his shot and its a corner.

Half Time

55 min: Pass, pass, pass, pass from Leverkusen and finally Gokhan Tore gets a shot off, but Florez is upto the task and saves it well.

57 min:PENALTY! Straight from Florez's kick, we advance through Ley down the left flank and he hangs up a cross. Bernardo goes to it but it tripped and the referee points to the spot! What a chance to go 1 up.

58 min:GOAL, GOAL, GOAL!! Bernardo slots it past Adler to give us the lead. 1-0

77 min: ffs, Ley goes for goal directly from a corner :D It is on target though, but Adler is able to save it comfortably.

84 min: Goal for Leverkusen :thdn: Kuzmanovic passes it to Renato Augusto, who finds Derdiyok in space, who slots it past Florez :thdn:1-1

86 min: **** me YESS, SUCKER PUNCH. GOAL FOR MUNSTER!!. Ley plays a 1-2 with Maxymov and pulls it back to Bernardo at the edge of the box, and he absolutely smashes it in from 25 yards out. WHAT A GOAL! 2-1

Full Time and we have won the Champions League!

Congratulations Sazchu, I always hate going up through the playoffs, makes me feel like I'm on for a tough season before I've even started :D

Well done El Sid, all-German final made it nice and dramatic.

Just over halfway through my first season in Turkey. In spite of being inconsistent we reached the winter break looking good in second place, but since the winter break we've thrown away three golden opportunities to win and picked up 6 points from 15. My attack is deadly but my defence is leaking badly and seems to suffer being hit on the break. Anyone got any tips as my problems are usually the other way around.

Stranraer - Season 3 2012/2013 - Scottish Second Division

2mmsgtx.jpg

Competition

Scottish Second Division: 9th

Challenge Cup: 2nd Round (v Hamilton)

League Cup: 1st Round (v Patrick Thistle)

Scottish Cup: 4th Round (v Dundee)

Before the season started we were expected to be relegated and we did indeed challenge for relegation the whole season, a run of six wins without a loss near the end of the season gave us hope that we could crawl out of the relegation/promotion playoffs but we couldn't extend the run but we had atleast secured a spot in the relegation/promotion playoffs and we were confident ahead of that challenge.

In the Semi-Final we met Montrose who had finished 4th in the Third Division and they did proof do be no challenge for us as we beat them 7-0 on aggregate to go to the finals where we would meet the same team as the year before, East Stirlingshire.

We completely dominated the first game but only managed to score two goals which would give us a good lead into the second leg, in the second leg East Stirlingshire outplayed us all over the pitch but they did not managed to take advantage of that as we secured a 2-1 win and a 4-1 win on aggregate to stay in the Second Division.

In the Challenge Cup we surprised a few people with a 3-0 win in the 1st round against First Division team, but come the 2nd round we met another First Division team which would put us in our place with the same scoreline.

Just as last season we would meet Patrick Thistle in the League Cup and would they proof to be too much for us as we lost 0-3 and were out of it before it had started.

In the Scottish Cup we would take out Third Division team Stenhousemuir quite easily before meeting Premier League team Dundee where we got hammered the whole game which resulted in a 0-4 defeat.

Transfers

Transfers

As usual we scouted around the whole season but only signed a few players though none of them doing anything special, the main squad is looking less and less Scottish every season as we increase the number of foreign players to tvelwe.

Player Achievements

Second Division Team of the Year - Janusz Iwanicki

Season			League			Position			Achievements
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2010/11		   Third Division		10th				     None
2011/12            Third Division               4th                    Promotion Through Playoffs
2012/13           Second Division               9th                                  None

Quick update from my latest season at BC Branco - a tight jam from 5th down to 15th means we are in the hunt for a European place yet also not clear of relegation... 10 games to go and we are 9th, 3 points off a Europa League spot and 7 points clear of the dropzone.

We have also made it to the semis of the cup! I stopped playing before the draw last night but I hope Benfica and Sporting get each other meaning we can make the final and take a spot in Europe as the big boys are likely to be taking the Champions League spots.

Early kick off here in France where SO Romorantin take on Lyon in the French Cup final.

Kick-off

16 mins - Kresic back from suspension slips a wonderful ball through for Flavio who takes a touch before firing in his 52nd goal of the season. Romorantin 1-0 Lyon

21 mins - This time it's Kresic who's put through by a ball from Reyes, but his shot is saved.

23 mins - Cracking save from Rozhkov as Lyon have their first really dangerous attack.

26 mins - Kresic again draws a good save from the Lyon 'keeper. It's a corner.

27 mins -Antonov swings the corner in. Ropponen rises at the back post. Wins his header. Forces the ball goalwards. It hits the bar and drops to the 'keeper.

Half-time

56 mins - Antonov finds himself clean through the defence, but again the 'keeper is up to the challenge. He is keeping Lyon in it at the moment.

63 mins - Rozhkov saves a shot but only parries it into the path of a Lyon player who slots it home. 1-1

77 mins - They appear to be stealing it. Lyon score again. 1-2

84 mins - Tseberidis swings in a low cross from the left. But it's too close to the keeper who comes to pick up. But, the man who's been exemplary so far today merely diverts it into his own net. Own Goal! We're back level! 2-2

90+2 mins - Long shot from a Lyon player is caught and held by Rozhkov. The whistle blows. Extra-time beckons.

Extra Time

97 mins - Penalty! To Romorantin. Flavio steps up . . . and SCORES. The penalty is hit low into the left corner. The 'keeper didn't stand a chance. 3-2

Half-time in Extra time

108 mins - Flavio is played in again. It's a chance for his hat-trick and he blazes it over the bar.

117 mins - Corner to Lyon. Saved by Rozhkov.

120 mins - They're behind the defence but The Boss, exhausted, on a yellow card manages to get back and make a fantastic saving challenge and clear. Surely, not long to go now...

122 mins (!) - Lyon in again. He's about to pull the trigger. But the flag is raised - off side. And with that the final whistle goes. Romorantin win the French Cup.

Full time.

Romorantin win.

MOTM - Flavio - it had to be, 2 goals and an assist a fine performance from the Brazilian.

1000000656.gif

2011 Season Review - C2/C

Embarking on this challenge was an unknown quantity for me. Expectations were reasonably high for Pisa, the minimum expected was a mid-table finish. Having amassed a squad of players on frees and the currently contracted players, i was fairly confident of meeting the board's expectation.

With only the top team being promoted, the remaining 4 teams had to fight things out via a play-off. If we could get near the play-off spots then i would be pleased. At the midway point we were well on course for this and were sat pretty in 3rd, 4 points adrift. Could we possibly challenge in my first season at the helm?

League Table - http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/oo315/marcus_cook_2008/LeagueTable.jpg:thup:

Champions Crowned - http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/oo315/marcus_cook_2008/LeagueWin.jpg:thup:

Having won the title, the mighty Pisa were entered into the C2 Supercup!

C2 Supercup - http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/oo315/marcus_cook_2008/C2SuperCup.jpg

So who could have wished for a better start to my career at the helm of Pisa. I just hope the board aren't expecting this every season! :rolleyes:

Players

Well the squad really came together nicely, but here are the stand out performers!

De Sousa - My MR who had a stunning season all in all. He was voted the League player of the season and his massive amount of assists must have been the reason. http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/oo315/marcus_cook_2008/DeSousa.jpg

Dall'Acqua - ST who was the club's leading scorer and proved to be a real hit, being voted the supporters player of the season. http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/oo315/marcus_cook_2008/DalAcqua.jpg

Rizzo - GK who i picked up on a free at the tender age of 16! He ended up being my first choice keeper and played the majority of the season. http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/oo315/marcus_cook_2008/RizzoGK.jpg

Silvestri - This guy was sitting in my U19 squad when i took over and soon promoted him into the main squad. He played a bit part role, but definitely has a role at the club. http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/oo315/marcus_cook_2008/Silvestri.jpg

and here is my potential star for the future!

Gallardo - ST who i picked up on a free after he was released by Real Madrid. Nobody else was after him and he accepted straight away! He started slowly and was feeling media pressure, but man he came good. He finished up as the runner up in the League for goals, behind his strike partner.http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/oo315/marcus_cook_2008/Gallardo.jpg

Next season i need to strengthen in the middle of the park and at the back, but i'm hoping for a sold season nevertheless!

brand.gif

**Season Update - SO Romorantin - 2020/21 Season - Ligue 1**

Transfers

So another transfer window ends, and it is time to introduce you all to the new faces that will be representing Les Solognets.

First in we have Bessala Song (£575K). He is a Cameroonian left-winger. He lacks pace but makes up for it with his youth and technical skills, especially considering he is equally good with both feet.

Next came Gregory Leclercq (£4M), a Belgian right back, who is an initial back-up but should be good enough to challenge Hue.

Next was the biggest signing of the window. Francisco Reyes (£8.25M), a Honduran midfielder. He is quick, creative, technically gifted and young. I look forward to seeing him turn out for the Greens.

Next came a Russian 'keeper. Eduard Rozhkov (£5M) I signed him as a high class no.2 but when Lenny Py left he quickly became the first choice.

Wilson Mosquera (£4.1M) was the next player to come through the doors. The Ecuadorian right-winger is only 19 and is already a quality player. I have high hopes, and Antonov ought to be looking over his shoulder!

The next buy was forced on me by some movement out. We needed another centre-back and so I found Matus Kuzma (£6.75M). A Slovakian, he too is young and talented.

Finally came in a player who is no more than back-up. The Italian midfielder Stefano Santarelli (£1.1M) comes in to provide back-up to the more talented midfielders.

I will run you through the highest profile exits.

Roger left the club for £3M for Bochum. At 28 I felt it only fair to let him leave for first team football.

Oliveira left for £13M, he disappointed last season and the deal represents an excellent profit on the £7.5M outlay. He joins Sivasspor in Turkey.

Lenny Py was a player I did not want to let go, but his contract expired at the end of the season and he had his attention grabbed by possible moves so refused to extend his stay. It then became necessary to cash in now or lose him on a free. The player who joined for £6M left for Bochum for £7.5M. The deal means that unfortunately for Roger he will be in exactly the same situation as he was here. Second behind Py.

Vaclav Krejcik was in the same position as Py, he would not sign a new contract so had to go. He goes to Aston Villa for £4.3M which represents a good profit after he joined for £675K.

Then in January we added two more players.

Sinan Uysal - Young Turkish winger, he has a big future I hope.

Vladan Djordjevic - Young Serbian left back. A bit of a gamble as he may never quite make it.

League

After last season's second 6th place position I wanted to push on and move into at least the top 4. We got off to a good start moving up to 2nd over the opening weeks. As we often do though we hit a lull and dropped. However, this season we only fell to 5th place. Still leaving us well placed to achieve out aims. After 20 or so games we managed to hit the top of the league on points but it was fairly hollow, we were still fighting for second with Lyon as Rennes who were behind on points had built up 3 games in hand. They set about winning them and overtook us again. We fought back and reclaimed 1st place after a rare slip up by Rennes cost them their final game in hand. As it came to the run in we were ahead by 4 points clear with two games to go. Trouble was Rennes had again gained the upper hand with a game extra to play. It would be played after the rest of the games away at Lyon. I didn't want it to be out of my hands. First up were Stade Malherbe Caen who were in 3rd. It was a tricky game and it took a Kresic thunderbolt to salvage a 2-2 draw. Rennes won. Next up I had Toulouse, we won 3-0. We had done our job but Rennes had also won. We were 2 points ahead and they had to play Lyon. The game came round and Lyon held Rennes to a 0-0 draw. We were Champions!! We will take part in the Champions League for the first time next year too. We finished 1st, and we were by far the most consistent we have been in the top league.

Cup

We definitely had very different experiences in the two cups this season. The Coupe de la Ligue was a damp squib losing in our first match to Nice.

However, as reported above I managed to French Cup for the second time.

Europe

Well once more we managed to get through the EURO Cup qualifying and then the group stages. But we fell at the first hurdle when it came to the knockout stages going out to Deportivo.

Players

The same system stands - I will put the first choice player in each position in bold, and will italicise the players I think most important or interesting. So here goes:

Goalkeepers

Eduard Rozhkov - Ever present in goal this season after Py left. He did a good job.

Marco Braun - Young 'keeper got off the bench once but that was all. He's adequate back-up.

Defence

Mahmud Sharipov - Fewer appearances for the defender, but he is nice to have around as he is a more than capable deputy.

Richard Hue - Continued at right-back and had an excellent season.

Gregory Leclercq - Brought in to add competition, it may have been his presence that spurred Hue onto such a good season, but he played very few games.

Toninho - Although it was a good season for the left back I think I can do better. He is off for a handsome profit at the end of the season too.

Matus Kuzma - Did not really break through the first choice pairing, but when required showed that he can be a very good player.

Henk 'The Boss' Bosschaart - A great season from The Boss. His stats are improving as are his performances. Unfortunately it has drawn some attention and clubs are sniffing around.

Mikko Ropponen - The Finn is a very able partner for The Boss. He is strong in the air and in the tackle.

Salvador - Played in the run in when Toninho was injured. Getting upset about lack of football.

Midfield

Wilson Mosquera - Youngster who made quite an impact in his first season at the club, chipping in with good performances off the bench. Looks like he'll be quite a player.

Stefano Santarelli - No appearances.

Dorel Parvu - Continued as first choice MCd and continues to improve.

Vitaly Antonov - Another excellent season for the captain.

Valeri Vachev - Fewer games but did well.

Ryuichi Hayashi - Made no league appearances this season, but got in on some cup action.

Richard Eros - He's a very good player but he's off at the end of the season. He's been after a move and his contract is close to running down.

Marco Giunta - He's a good player but found it difficult to break through past Mosquera and Antonov

Vasilis Tseberidis - He continues to improve, he appears to have turned into one of the best left-wingers in the world.

Bessala Song - Youngster only appeared from the bench.

Sinan Uysal - Arrived in January came off the bench a few times. Mainly for the future, when it looks as though he could be an excellent player.

Francisco Reyes - Very good first season for the midfielder, he needs to work on his fitness as he often needs to be taken off towards the end of the game.

Attack

Marko Kresic - The legend did not score as often this season, but instead laid on a huge number of goals for his team mates.

Flavio - An astonishing season for the striker wracking up 54 goals was a top effort. I'm not sure how long I can realistically hold onto him for.

Radek Jursa - Very few chances to impress due to the continued excellence of the above.

Elias Stoll - When he was needed he chipped in with valuable goals.

Awards

Internal

Top Scorer - Flavio - 54

Fans' Player of the Season - Flavio

External

Ligue 1 Players Player of the Season - Flavio

Ligue 1 Star of the Competition - Marko Kresic (3rd place)

Ligue 1 Players Most Promising Player - Francisco Reyes

Ligue 1 Star Goalkeeper of the Competition - Eduard Rozhkov (3rd place)

Ligue 1 Stars Team of the Competition - First team - Richard Hue, Henk 'The Boss' Bosschaart, Vasilis Tseberidis, Flavio - Substitutes - Marko Kresic, Eduard Rozhkov

Ligue 1 Top Goalscorer - Flavio (2nd place)

Ligue 1 Most Assists of the Competition - Vasilis Tseberidis

Ligue 1 Manager of the Season - Pete Harmer (me)

Ligue 1 XI of the Season - Richard Hue, The Boss, Mikki Ropponen, Vasilis Tseberidis, Flavio

Youth Watch

Home-grown

Still none

Non-home grown

No-one

Aims For This Season Were

1/ Push on into the top 4 - You could say I exceeded this. A big tick.

2/ Get further in Europe - Managed to get less far - disappointing.

Aims For Next Season

1/ Retain the League

2/ Have a good go at the Champions League

Other News

So what else happened then. Well this:

Well, apart from all the awards won, the board approved to improve the training facilities again.

Best Elevens

10/11

11/12

12/13

13/14

14/15

15/16

16/17

17/18

18/19

19/20

20/21

Overall

Story So Far

Season			League			Position			Achievements/Wins
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2010/11			National		15th				Avoided relegation
2011/12			National		10th				Consolidated
2012/13			National		8th				Steady progression
2013/14			National		1st				Champions!
2014/15			Ligue 2			11th				Survived
2015/16			Ligue 2			1st				Champions!
2016/17			Ligue 1			18th				Relegated
2017/18			Ligue 2			1st				Champions! (Again)
2018/19			Ligue 1			6th				French Cup winners
2019/20			Ligue 1			6th				Consolidated
2020/21			Ligue 1			1st				Champions, FC Winners

Trophy Cabinet

French National - 2013/14

Ligue 2 - 2015/16, 2017/18

French Cup - 2018/19, 2020/21

Ligue 1 - 2020/21

Previous Updates

2010/11

2011/12

2012/13

2013/14

2014/15

2015/16

2016/17

2017/18

2018/19

2019/20

I was more thinking in comparison to the league of how good he is btw :p

Well told them I would avoid relegation because it gave me an extra 7K per week onto my wages. Transfer budget of 1.2m :D

Let's see what kind of dent I can put in that!

Oh and had to make a separate save. Honduras offered me a job :)

Trying to sing Klose on a free. He doesn't want to come though :( That would have been awesome as well.

Selling last year's Fans' Player of the Season for 700K. He wanted to leave and was only worth 350K. Got him for nothing as well!

He will lead you into the first division if he stays injury free and has a couple of good strikers to hit at :)

That transfer budget is awesome, use it to get out of the second division asap, the prize money you get in the first division will offset any debts you might accumulate.

Where are you allowed to scout mate?

He hasn't said no yet. Not hugely confident with teams like Porto offering him deals :D:(

I can scout anywhere in Europe currently. Really looking for some other deals but nobody seems to be sticking out. Got a Spanish AMRL who is rated 3.5 stars according to my scouts. He was free and I needed somebody for that position so went for it.

Look in the Spanish B teams mate, they're a goldmine. Once you get to the first division, you'll probably be allowed to scout throughout the world. You can then head out to sunny South America :thup::D

Will do.

Just a check on the rules. If I go to Assistant's Team Report and it has a player in it that I can't scout or trial. I can still buy him right?

kirik.jpg

2010/11 - Season One Report - Kirikkalespor

Media Prediction - 16th (out of 18, relegation zone)

A look at the initial squad made the media prediction seem generous, and I deemed only three of the current team worthy. They just happened to be the three players angling for a move to a bigger club, but fortunately they accepted new contracts. One of them, Abdullah Benli, went on to be Second Division player of the year, and only just missed out on the top goalscorer award.

I felt the need to bring in an entire new squad, and while I was pleased with the quality, I was worried about how long the new team would take to gel. Poor results in friendlies against similar opposition forced me to arrange a final moral-boosting friendly against a much weaker team. The 7-0 win appeared to be a much needed tonic.

Our first game began in the worst possible fashion, but then on-loan midfielder Ali Helvaci turned on the style, scoring four and setting up another to make a stunning 7-1 win. We carried that form into our first away game, winning 2-0, but tired legs showed in our second home game as we lost 2-0. We also lost in the 1st qualifying round of the Turkish Cup in extra time after fighting hard. We bounced back with an excellent 4-1 away win after the winter break, but the visit of Fethiyespor turned into an embarrassing 5-1 mauling in front of our own fans after we had a defender sent off early on.

Those results set the pattern for the season, good wins alternating with disappointing defeats, and I was surprised when we reached the halfway stage in second place.

A friendly intended to give us an extra sharpness after the winter break resulted in two injuries, but we still won 3-1 against Uskudar at home the week after. A narrow away defeat to Sakaryaspor followed but we seemed to be playing well consistently. Roll on Bozuyukspor, who we had stuffed 7-1 on the opening day, who stunned us by winning an even game 4-2. Our consistency abandoned us after this, and we won and lost four apiece of the next 10 games, again mixing some great wins with disheartening defeats.

With four games left, the inconsistency of those around us left us only 5 points off top spot and outside the playoffs on goal difference. It all depended on which Kirikkalsespor turned up for the last four games - all against teams below us, three of them with nothing to play for.

Table after 30 games

Yalovaspor arrived safe from relegation but with no chance of reaching the playoffs, but we froze and they left with a 2-0 victory. Gungoren Bld snatched a late 3-2 victory at their place, keeping their hopes alive but ours were almost extinguished. A lame 1-1 draw away to Sariyer and a depressing home defeat to Goztepe, who had been 15th most of the season, saw us drop into the bottom half and our lowest position all year; 11th.

So from a target of avoiding relegation, it was an excellent season, but considering we'd been in the hunt for the title right up until the last few games, to finishing outside the top half, nevermind the playoffs, was a bit of a blow. Still, it bodes well for next year if I can cut the deadwood and get a few more quality players in, I can challenge for promotion.

Final Table

Stranraer - Season 4 2013/2014 - Scottish Second Division

2mmsgtx.jpg

Competition

Scottish Second Division: 2nd

Challenge Cup: 3rd Round (v Dunfermline on penalties)

League Cup: 2nd Round (v Dundee Utd on penalties)

Scottish Cup: 5th Round (v Celtic)

League

We started the season with a bang as we shot up in the league sitting first in the league and at one point having 9 point advantage on the team beneath us, as the season went on though we didnt manage to keep it and with 6 games to go Clyde overtook us to take the lead in the league and kept it through those games which meant that for the third year in a row we would be playing in playoffs.

In the Playoff Semi-Final we met Stirling who we had lost to 3-1 just two weeks earlier in the league, we kept our calm and rode through these very close games to grab a 1-0 victory in them both and going to a Playoff Final for the third year in a row where we would meet First Division relegation combatant Airdrie United.

We were the slightly better team in the first game though it was pretty equal throughout and the scoreline reflected that as the game ended 1-1, on the the second leg, just like in the first leg the game was close between two pretty equal teams which saw Jason Talbot blow a penalty on 28th minute and that left the score in Half-Time 0-0, on the 54th minute Roberto Platero scored the first goal ofthe game as we took the lead with much celebration from our fans, the game was ending and the fans were celebrating as if we had won the Championship League, but it was to be ended by Shane Sutherland who would score on the 90+4th minute to forge the game into extra time where no goals were scored and therefore the game went into the dreaded penalty shoot-out.

The penalty-shootout saw a total of 21 penalties being netted with the final score of 10-11 for Airdrie United who saved their spot in the First Division.

League Cup

In the 1st round we started with a dominant 4-0 win over Stirling to advance, we met Premier League team Dundee Utd and after the game being 2-2 after full time it went into extra time where each team would score one more goal which meant that we would be heading into a penalty-shootout which ended 5-6 in favour of Dundee Utd.

Challenge Cup

We started in the 2nd round of the Challenge Cup where we would meet Queen of The South in a close game which went to a penalty shoot-out after the score being 1-1 after full time, we managed to scrape the win in the penalty shoot-out 4-3 to move on to the next round.

There we met Dunfermline in a thrilling game which saw us up 3-0 after 26 minute, we couldnt hold on to the lead and Dunfermline managed to gnaw back at us and score three goals themselfs in the second half and a goalless extra time meant that there would be yet another penalty shootout which ended in favour of our opponent 4-5.

Scottish Cup

We would start our competition in the big one in the 3rd round where we happened to meet our feeder club, Glasgow University, the game was not hard by any standards and Glasgow University were thrashed 8-0, after the dominance in the 3rd round we would meet Peterhead in the 4th round, the game was close all the time and it looked to be a draw until Mateusz Machaj scored the winning goal in injury time to take us through with a 2-1 win.

Having managed to advance to the 5th round we would meet a superpower, multiple Scottish champions and current holders of the Scottish Cup, Celtic, we went into the game full of optimism believing that we could do anything, but that was not to be the case as Celtic hammered us on their way to defend their title, 6-1.

Despite such a devistating loss it did brighten the faces of many as in that game alone we put a profit of 350k pounds in the bank account.

Transfers

Transfers

Yet again a quiet transfer window as we failed fo find any proper lookers, most players the scouts and assistant manager reccomended wouldnt cut it in the Second Division.

Player Achievements

Second Division Team of the Year - Richard Brittain

Other

Signed a new 3 year contract with the club \o/

Season			League			Position			Achievements
2010/11		   Third Division		10th				     None
2011/12            Third Division               4th                    Promotion Through Playoffs
2012/13           Second Division               9th                                  None
2013/14           Second Division               2nd                                  None

brand.gif

**Pre-Season Update - SO Romorantin - 2021/22 Season - Ligue 1**

Time to welcome the new players to be gracing the SO Romorantin Stadium. There are quite a few youngsters as I look to the future and the need to have home-grown players for Europe.

The first through the doors is one for the future. Tomasz Pawlowski is only 18 but is already a good looking midfielder. He joins for £700K.

Next in is another 18-year-old midfielder. Josef Novak is a player I've had my eye on for a while and with only £2M of his £6M fee paid upfront he looks like a good replacement for the outgoing Richard Eros.

Then came an actual French player. I know he's the first I've signed in a long time. He's a left back. Kevin Gosset is only 23 but has already played at the top level in Germany with Leverkusen. He joins for £4.7M.

Next a free transfer. The Italian 'keeper Mirko Mele joins. He arrives as no 2 but could well challenge for the first choice jersey.

Next in an Australian. Jason Papadopoulos. He too is young, just 19. He's not quick but I imagine him as a sort of Xabi Alonso figure. Moving the ball around from a deep position.

Then another youngster Marc Hermans. He's a young Dutch striker, at 17 he has plenty of time to improve.

Similarly Peter Achterberg joins, at 18 he is a year older and a year closer to the first team.

The final signing is a new striker, Arpad Kocsis. He is good enough for the first team and his arrival signaled the end of the line for Jursa and Stoll who both depart. Stoll on a season's loan, Jursa permanently.

As has become customary I will also have a quick run down of the nationalities represented in the squad.

1 Australian

1 Belgian

1 Brazilian

1 Cameroonian

1 Croatian

1 Czech

1 Ecuadorian

1 Spaniard

1 Finn

2 Frenchmen

1 German

1 Greek

1 Honduran

1 Hungarian

1 Japanese

1 Italian

2 Dutch

1 Romanian

2 Russians

1 Swiss

1 Slovakian

1 Turk

1 Uzbek

Also, I remember LLR doing this last season, not sure he's got there yet this time round. I'm going to start a record of where I've visited on my European adventures. So here's the catch up:

Season 1

Hungary

Serbia

Austria

England

Russia

Italy

Season 2

Moldova

Montenegro

Slovakia

Turkey

Croatia

Italy

Spain

I knew that by the time I got back to the thread el sid would have completed the challenge! Many congratulations el sid, and I hope you carry on with the save.

PRDH, your reports are fantastic, especially the player write-ups. I feel like I really know your team.

Great to see some new faces, especially in Germany. Will might like to look at the early pages of the thread and laugh at my travails managing the Kickers...

Done my Magdeburg report, will post it up tomorrow.

1.FC Magdeburg 2014-15 (Season 3) German 2nd Division (Bundesliga 2)

This was our debut season in Bundesliga 2 after being promoted via the promotion/relegation playoff.

Fixtures 1st half

A peculiar season saw me crowned as Germany's answer to Kevin Keegan, as my team set various goalscoring records at both ends. Our matches saw an average of 3.8 goals, an exceptionally high figure in the modern game; we hit 4 or more on 7 occasions and managed to keep 5 clean sheets.

We started poorly, out of the German Cup at the first hurdle and losing our opening three league games as at first I largely kept faith with the promoted team. However, ringing the changes produced the desired effect as we suffered only two more defeats before the winter break. New striker Vincent Acapandie proved the star of the autumn season before succumbing to injury, by which time Chris Kullmann had recovered from an indifferent start and was up to his usual scoring antics. This period saw the first of our demolition performances as we battered Mainz 5-2 and Oberhausen 5-0 - the latter game failing to please my perfectionist assman! - but we were letting them in as well. By the winter break we were up to 10th, only six points behind the top three, and I was hopeful that we could push on in the second half of the season.

Winter break table

A busy window saw left-back Alejandro Puente depart for a club record E2.3m - he was a decent player but I couldn't refuse that sort of money. He was replaced by a new record signing - E550k Czech youngster Lukas Franc. The other major January signing was Dutch midfielder Ruud Vormer on a free.

Transfer summary

Fixtures 2nd half

Our first game back, a 1-2 reverse at home to runaway leaders Bochum, gave little indication of the mayhem in store. Jena (3-2), Freiburg (5-2), Osnabruck (5-3) and Rostock (4-2) were all dispatched as we pretended we were in the 1920s. Kullmann set a club and divisional individual scoring record in the Freiburg game, we were up to 4th and breathing right down the necks of Duisburg and Gladbach. Sadly that was as good as it got. An 8-game winless run culminated in a frankly bizarre 4-8 thrashing at Mainz - as you might guess, this was the other match to set club and divisional records! We bounced back with a 4-2 win at doomed Oberhausen, but that was our solitary victory in the last 12. We finished 10th, 2nd top scorers but with the joint 3rd worst defence. Ridiculously, we couldn't even boast the highest goals for and against aggregate, our 64-65 record trumped by Freiburg's 62-69. It seems the whole division went goal crazy this season.

Final table

Player reviews

GK

Neither of my first choices were wholly convincing - the fact that Heinz Muller and Attilio Pellegrino got more or less equal playing time tells you all you need to know. I decided not to renew Muller's contract - hopefully the young Italian will be more integrated next season.

Defence

I'll put my hand up and take most of the blame for our defensive woes. We never had a settled back four, with just too many young players falling into the pattern of having a decent mini-run and then turning in a calamitous performance. This would see their confidence shredded and necessitate changes.

Mark Van Hecke - the one constant. The young Belgian was hugely impressive, having to cope with far too many changes of partner in central defence but looking like a player who could step up a level.

Rene Gewelke - as last season, he got good ratings at right-back, but watching the highlights he seemed strangely unconvincing. Nonetheless, his versatility makes him good to have around.

Abbas Pishyar - occasionally shaky, but on balance he showed he can be a decent player at this level, and received a German U-21 cap. Likely to start as Van Hecke's regular partner next term.

Lukas Franc - not a great start from the Czech, who struggled with homesickness, but I'm convinced he has the talent to come good.

Said Ali - I expected the Tanzanian international to progress, but he really struggled, not least with disciplinary issues, and I was delighted to be able to move him on to AZ for a club record E2.6m at the end of the season.

Boban Grncarov - should have been the old head settling the kids down, but could not find any kind of consistency.

Alessandro Potenza - experienced Italian right-back who arrived in January and promptly got injured. I expect him to feature next season.

Aron Brandt never recovered from a horrid start, and I was surprised and delighted to receive E600k from Jena in the window. Bressan, Person and Walzlein all made fleeting appearances as well.

Midfield

I think this area contributed to the bad defence, as we are basically set up to attack! Attack! Attack! I need to find a better balance next season.

Hanno Balitsch - the new club captain seems solid but unspectacular, but his injury-enforced absence coincided with our spring slump in form. He'll be back for the next campaign.

Ruud Vormer - a reasonable start from the January signing, and I expect him to be a big player next season.

Braganca - a revelation. Not only did he make the step up with ease, he looked far more dangerous than he had in the Third Division, and earned a new contract.

Andre Hansen - the young Austrian winger showed real class, though he could frustrate with the inconsistency of youth. One of our best players, and attracting a lot of attention.

Javi Ros - signed as a squad player, Ros really seized his chance early on but faded.

Francisco Javier - a perennial sub. As last season, mixed real impact performances with invisible man impersonations.

The stalwart Tim Kruse soon lost his place and was released at the end of the season. Yannick Kakoko was a flop. Of the youngsters, Marcello Serafini showed the most promise.

Attack

Few complaints here :)

Dzenan Durak - made the step up OK, but with less space to show his skills went from being a star to just a good player. Still time for him to improve.

Vincent Acapandie - could do no wrong in the autumn, but was sidelined for three months and couldn't quite pick up where he left off. Still, 13 goals in 21 appearances was a fine return and saw him named Fans' Player Of The Year.

Christopher Kullmann - should be a club legend, not even on the favoured personnel list. It took a while for him to get into his stride, but once there he maintained his superb record, scoring 20 in 34 and taking his total to 61 in 103 since we entered the league.

A handful of sub appearances for youngsters Peruzzi and Taverna failed to produce goals, but Spanish starlet Javier scored the consolation on his debut, a 1-5 reverse against Karlsruhe at the end of the season. He also became our youngest player by one day. We'll be seeing more of him, I think.

Squad stats 1

Squad stats 2

Team Of The Year

Overall Best XI

Season summary

Our finances are very healthy following my wheeler-dealing. If I have a criticism of FM10, it's that it seems very easy to get inflated fees for players. Puente and Ali are promising young players, but to get E4.9m for the pair looks excessive, and making a E600k profit on the flop Brandt was pretty ludicrous in all honesty.

The plan for next season is to slim down the squad. Lots of up-and-coming players getting a handful of appearances is not as good as a few getting decent playing time, though when you get promoted it can be difficult to judge exactly where improvement is most needed. I now have a better idea of what needs to be done and intend to mount a promotion challenge.

FC_Libourne_Saint-Seurin_L_Isle-log.gif

FC Libourne-Saint-Seurin, 2015-16, National

League Position - 3rd: Past Positions

Squad

Transfers

Summary

After a Christmas present of relegation, would FM give me an end of 2009 present in promotion? Despite selling off a lot of players in the Summer and at the end of last season, I brought in a few players and overall the quality of our team was good enough to get us third place and promotion.

Key Players

[/url]Julian Esteban - The Swiss striker had a fantastic season, scoring 30 goals in 40 games. He was the golden boot winner, as well as being in the team of the year.

Chafik Najih - The French left winger did very well this season, scoring 14 and assisting 18.

U21 Player of the Year

Omar Rizki - There were no stand out U21 players, but this 23 year old striker on loan from Nantes did decent, scoring 15 and assisting 14.

Career Overview

Season     League   Position   Achievements
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2010/11  National    4th       None
2011/12  National    5th       None
2012/13  National    7th       None
2013/14  National    2nd       Promoted 
2014/15  Ligue 2    18th       Relegated
2015/16  National    3rd       Promotion

[b]Trophies won:

[/b]

for those of you managing in Germany, and especially Magdeburg and Carl Zeiss Jena, i thought you might be interested in this article in this month's World Soccer magazine:

Twenty years after the Berlin Wall crumbled and heralded German reunification, most football clubs from the former DDR have the look of flowers in the desert.

Energie Cottbus' play-off defeat by Nurnberg in May removed the last trace of eastern representation in the Bundesliga and all the ex-Oberliga giants – Dynamo Dresden, Carl Zeiss Jena, 1.FC Magdeburg, Lokomotiv Leipzig, et al – now live a hand-to-mouth existence in the third, fourth and fifth tiers of the domestic system.

Certain eastern outfits have done themselves justice in the top flight. Cottbus and their band of cut-price Balkan and Brazilian buys did amazingly well to survive for a half-a-dozen years in the Bundesliga of the new millennium, while Hansa Rostock punched above their weight for a decade, finishing sixth in 1996 and 1998. Nonetheless, swimming against the tide is only possible for so long. Deprived of the financial resources which sides in the west take for granted, the Ossis (East Germans) were always going to struggle.

In the good old/bad old days, the east's footballing finest were bankrolled by branches of the state. Dynamo Berlin – who won 10 straight titles between 1979 and 1988, many by apparently dubious means – were funded by the Stasi, the much-loathed secret police, Dynamo Dresden were also a police team and Lokomotiv Leipzig were backed by the railways. However, once the Wall fell and free-market economics swept in, the safety net was gone and, with the economy in these parts in precarious shape, making ends meet became a daily dilemma.

And it still is. Germany may be back together as an administrative whole but, economically, east and west remain poles apart. Unemployment in the east is close to double that of the west and the gross national product per person in the east is still only 70 per cent of a westerner. Given a choice between investing in the west or the east, the would-be sponsor looks to the former every time.

While the sight of Dynamo Berlin scratching around in the fourth division could be construed as divine retribution, not so the decline of other East German powerhouses; they only provoke pity.

Twenty five years ago, Magdeburg beat Milan in the Final of the 1974 European Cup-winners Cup – the DDR's first and last continental trophy – and local hero Jurgen Sparwasser scored the national team's historic goal in the 1-0 win against West Germany in that year's World Cup finals. In 1981, Carl Zeiss Jena also reached the Cup-winners Cup Final, though they went down 2-1 to Dinamo Tbilisi.

Equally depressing

The story in Leipzig is equally depressing. The city, whose 46,000-capacity Zentralstadion was the only eastern venue used during the 2006 World Cup, is enjoying something of a boom thanks to the arrival of BMW and Porsche factories. But on the football front, the best the Saxon metropolis can do is two sides – Lokomotiv and FC Sachsen – in the fifth division. Sachsen were declared insolvent early last year and were demoted a division, while Lok, runners-up to Ajax in the 1987 European Cup-winners Cup, have twice gone bankrupt (1999 and 2003).

However, an Austrian-based energy-drink company could be the saviour of football in Leipzig. Already the owner of clubs in Austria, USA and Brazil, Red Bull recently bought SSV Markranstadt, a fifth division club in the suburbs of the city, and the rebranded RB Leipzig recruited a clutch of second division players last summer, including the former Germany defender Ingo Herzsch.

They are not to everyone's taste, however. Like Hoffenheim in the Bundesliga, they are regarded as artificially inseminated upstarts and some opposition fans were sufficiently angry to spray their home turf with herbicide and plant a wooden cross as a symbol of the death of the traditional club ideal.

Another ray of hope for the Ossis is Union Berlin. For so long the poor relations of Dynamo, Union won the third division title last season and are now pushing hard for a second consecutive promotion.

It's easy to understand why many Germans see a reunited nation as the footballing equivalent of a derby match that is won 10-0 by the west every season.

Every prospect that has been unearthed in the east – Matthias Sammer, Thomas Doll, Ulf Kirsten, Andreas Thom, Michael Ballack, Bernd Schneider and, more recently, the Bayer Leverkusen pair of keeper Rene Adler and midfielder Toni Kroos – have all headed for the lucrative west at the first opportunity. And the drain of talent does not look likely to end any time soon.

“We simply cannot compete,“ says Magdeburg youth team coach Mirko Eichentopf. ”The big clubs from the west target our best 13- and 14-year-olds, offering cash to their parents, sometimes a job too.

“In this part of Germany, where unemployment is high and there is a lot of poverty. It's hard to resist.”

Meanwhile, after heavily fining Italy striker Luca Toni and Germany full-back Philipp Lahm for breaches of club code, the powers that be at Bayern Munich probably would appreciate some old-style DDR player discipline at the moment.

Furious at being substituted at half-time during the 1-1 home draw with Schalke, Toni immediately stormed out of the stadium, while Lahm found himself in the dog house for a most untypical press tirade – one in which he railed against the club's scatter-gun approach to the transfer market and its lack of long-term planning compared to its Champions League rivals.

Both of which put more pressure on the increasingly-beleaguered coach, Louis Van Gaal, and provide further scope for the FC Hollywood tag line. l

Archived