FM10 Small Club to Big Club Big Euro Nation Challenge

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Turkey has just been removed from Gundo's challenge because the league rep is now higher than they want. Is it worth adding Turkey to this challenge?

I was just about to post the same thing. I think it should be added here then - where else could it go? Plus, I think the Turkish leagues fit in with the Big Euro nation tag better than the Scottish equivalent. ;)

Cheeky dig there Dodgee! We'd be in Gundo's if he was more lenient!

I agree with having Turkey in here though :thup:

Holidaying now :)

You guys crack me up.:D

Sure there won't be a problem adding Turkey to this challenge.

I always thought that nations like Turkey and Russia would be more at home here than at Gundo's.. it seems almost too easy in comparison to the leagues of countries such as Wales and Hungary.

Are you trying to say this challenge is easy :mad:

;)

I do actually agree with you but until they are rejected by Gundo they shan't be heading our way!

Did one holiday run of Scotland got Elgin like you did. 2nd time round I've been given Stranraer. Will upload the game if it is wanted.

Previous Season Table

Manager Profile

The picture for my profile is for a couple of reasons. It is the album artwork for a band I like a lot called Kid British. Secondly, the album is called "It Was This or Football" and they also support War Child just like FM so thought it was rather fitting :D

Here we go! :thup:

Well, the cut-off point for gundo's seems to be a league rep of 14 (Turkey's got tweaked to 15 which is why they are now here) and atm, Russia & Greece have their reps at 14 so they could be on the way over here for FM11.

One thing that makes this challenge hard is the number of tiers - several of the nations in gundo's only have two tiers playable so getting to the top domestically is easy. Holland aside, all of the nations here have at least 3 tiers in the game. This includes Turkey and based on my experience there last year I can tell you getting out of the 2nd Division is not that easy! (It took me 6 seasons to do it).

Well, the cut-off point for gundo's seems to be a league rep of 14 (Turkey's got tweaked to 15 which is why they are now here) and atm, Russia & Greece have their reps at 14 so they could be on the way over here for FM11.

One thing that makes this challenge hard is the number of tiers - several of the nations in gundo's only have two tiers playable so getting to the top domestically is easy. Holland aside, all of the nations here have at least 3 tiers in the game. This includes Turkey and based on my experience there last year I can tell you getting out of the 2nd Division is not that easy! (It took me 6 seasons to do it).

That's what I like to hear! I suppose Turkey's rep has gone up based on some real life transfers (Elano for example). Still, I'd have thought Russia would be on a level par given the money in that league.

Are you trying to say this challenge is easy :mad:

;)

I do actually agree with you but until they are rejected by Gundo they shan't be heading our way!

I'd say nothing to try to take anything away from your achievements with Savona! :p

No, I'm finding it really tough so far.. 13 games in with Ostuni Sport, we have 11 points and are 2 places off the bottom.

Not absolutely terrible, you may think, but we have conceded 31 goals so far. Thirty-one. :eek:

Hi guys. I've been reading last year's thread sporadically and thought this to be a very cool idea. So here I am participating in this year's challenge, motivated and ready for any action :D Although I'm most familiar with the German league system, I headed south towards Portugal where hot summers and mild winters attracted me.

The team: Sporting Club Farense

Sporting Club Farense are a professional Portuguese club currently playing in the Segunda Divisão Portuguesa - Zone Norte (Portuguese Second Division - North). The club play their home games at Estádio de São Luís and possess adequate training facilities and an adequate youth setup. The club retains a fierce rivalry with Sporting Portimonense.

The club enjoyed probably their best spell of success during the 1980s. Altough now enduring a twenty-seven year barren spell, having not won a competition since 1983, Farense still have a history which they can be justly proud of. Farense finished runners-up in the Taca de Portugal in 1990, and won the Portuguese 2nd tier in 1940 and 1983 and finished runners-up once. After the club's best league finish at 5th place in the Portuguese Liga (Level 1) the club played its one and only time in the UEFA Cup 95/96 and lost in the first round against Olympique Lionnais with two games of 0:1 each.

The manager: Francisco Peixoto

Francisco Peixoto was born and bred in Faro, one of Portugals southernmost cities and incidentally also the hometown of SC Farense. His only foray into football has been some successful participations in fantasy football leagues - lets hope he's up for this challenge.

The player: ElDani

I live in Austria and have always been interested in our national football league, though my passion is the much higher rated German Bundesliga. In previous FM releases I've stayed with teams from Northern Europe or from some exotic leagues in remote parts of the world (Oceania, South America, etc) so heading to a lower league in Portugal is a first for me and an exciting challenge.

Notes about my participation in this challenge:

Judging from some Wikipedia articles, I have the luck of choosing a team which has the misfortune of being out of date in the FM2010 database. Wiki: S.C. Farense lists the grounds as an attractive Algarve Stadium, which was built for the Euro 2004 and is currently shared with Louletano DC. In FM2010 on the other hand, Farense is still playing on the old Estádio de São Luís which has been closed in the meantime. Well, it would've been too easy to start the game with an Euro 2004 stadium - now I'm stuck with the Estádio Municipal de São Luís.

That's what I like to hear! I suppose Turkey's rep has gone up based on some real life transfers (Elano for example). Still, I'd have thought Russia would be on a level par given the money in that league.

I think the league rep is now higher than Russia because it's easier to get players like Elano and coaches like Rijkaard here. I read an interview with Zico recently, who was manager at Fenerbahce and CSKA Moscow, and he said Brazilian players he spoke to about transfers were more keen on sunny Istanbul than frozen Russia. :cool:

So, I download the Germany DDT file, place it in the correct location, make sure the extra file is ticked in preferences, start a new game, load up all the divisions in Germany? Am I allowed to load players from top clubs?

Any clarifications on this please.

Cheers, added to the OP :thup:

I think the league rep is now higher than Russia because it's easier to get players like Elano and coaches like Rijkaard here. I read an interview with Zico recently, who was manager at Fenerbahce and CSKA Moscow, and he said Brazilian players he spoke to about transfers were more keen on sunny Istanbul than frozen Russia. :cool:

Sounds about right :D

Got First Division Morton in the First Round of the League Cup. I then have Second Division Stirling in the First Round of the Challenge Cup.

Teams I have managed have notoriously good in cup competitions so I'm hoping for some upsets :)

Good luck El Sid :thup:

Castillo C.F

"el castillo de los Canarios"

or the Castle of the Canaries

Well the new game has taken me over to Spain this time around and I've taken charge of tiny club Castillo C.F in Division 2B1. They are situated smack bang in the middle of Gran Canaria on top of a hill and have a reasonable stadium that looks like this. The stadium can hold 3150 people standing - not too bad.

I have no idea what the potential is for a footballing powerhouse on the Canary Islands, but I imagine my first aim will be to become the biggest club on the Islands by overtaking Las Palmas.

Anyway here's my Profile.

Up up and away for the Canaries :cool:

I have to say I really do like the addition of backroom advice - it really helps you keep on top of your squad particularly with things like player development. I have two midfielders now trying to learn how to play a simple passing game - probably for the best given their passing stat is < 10

Here's my update on how the challenge has begun for me.

After being given a generous transfer budget of 35k i set about building a squad in addition to the 4 1st team players i had to start with.

As seems to be the case with everybody the majority of the players i have signed are in the 30+ age range.

I have now spent up and here is the result of my dealings in the transfer market;

http://s896.photobucket.com/albums/ac162/StellaF1/?action=view&current=TransfersPisa2010.jpg

Let the season begin!

Good Luck to all the new challengers, I have just woken up for my Sunday morning to see the thread balloon. About to step into the world of Elgin once more and head towards our second ever Competitive match which is in the League Cup.

Edit: Wow, maybe these Old Coots aren't too bad, we just defeated Clyde (SD1) in the first round of the League Cup 2-1, They scored early, but then my Keeper saved a penalty shot and we never looked back after that. Yordi now has 3 goals in 2 games, and my other striker scored as well. The news article says "Elgin Cruise to Victory" haha, yes we dominated possesion 60% - 40% but we didn't have all the running in the game haha.

As an example of a general result between SD1 & SD3 sides Partick Thistle defeated Berwick 5-0

Joh4nss*n in Casa Pia, Lisbon.

I have found my new home for FM10 here with Casa Pia in Portuguese Second Division Central.

It is a quite unsuccesful team founded back in 1920. But while based in Lisbon I think there is

potential for the future if/when we reach Liga Sagres.

Edit: Good morning LLR. Feels strange writing that when it still is Saturday evening here.

Best of luck Uffe :thup:

Des - great result there! Sounds like you've started off well in Scotland!

Just playing my friendlies at the moment, squad is coming together but it is noticeably tougher to find players better than what you already have imo. Struggling to find a striker...

The next round we are travelling to Aberdeen. I was hoping for a home match against a Premiership Club, but we are likely to get spanked away from home. Though in the last season Aberdeen finished 11th in the SPL, and St. Mirren who I drew 1-1 with finished third. Could be fun.

Yeah I struggled to find better players as well, the worst thing was finding a better player in one position only for my coaches to decide that guy lifted the level the rest of the team needed to be at, my 2nd DC & DL are now 1*, they were 4-5 when I got them in haha. I found my Striker in Sunny Spain haha.

Edit: I just lost my Attacking Mid for 3-4 months, what a way to lose one of the teams stars. And then my Defensive Mid went down in sympathy, out for 2 weeks.

Club: Ostuni Sport

Season: 2010/11

League: Italian Serie C2/C

Transfer Budget: £14.9k

Wage Budget: £6.4k

Opening Balance: £59.1k

Closing Balance: -£78.8k

Board Expectations: Avoid relegation

Media Expectation: 18th

Your Expectations: Avoid relegation

League Record: Pos 17th, W 7, D 7, L 20, F 36, A 81, Pts 28

Playout: bt Villacidrese 7-5 agg.

Serie C Cup: Group stage, finished 4th

First XI: (4-4-2) Maiorani, Ancona, Lotti, Feole, Santarelli; Vacaro, Talia, Sandra, Forgione; Galeri, Blanco.

Top Scorer: Raphael Galeri 10

Top Assister: Giovanni Sandra 10

Average Attendance: 1607

Fans Player Of The Year: Giorgio Santarelli

My Player Of The Year: Giorgio Santarelli

Notable Results: 4-3 vs Brindisi, 7-5(agg) vs Villacidrese

Transfers In: I brought in 13 players on free transfers. Some lived up to their reputations, most didn't.

Best Buy: Tony is a superb player for this level, especially for us. However, he spent too much of the season injured to make a real impact, and I know he is capable of much more.

Worst Buy: To be honest, so many of them were absolute pants that its not even worth singling out the worst offender.

Transfers Out: Three players retired after I told them they weren't going to make it. Ah well...

Best Sale: -

Table

Playout Leg 1

Playout Leg 2

Round-Up: Well it was dire really. We weren't too bad going forward, and certainly showed promise on that front. But we conceded goals in huge amounts. 81 goals against in 34 games, and 86 after the further two more of the Playout really is terrible. I need to sort out the defense and goalkeeping, and perhaps change my tactics around so that we are a little more cautious. Still, at least we avoided relegation. Just...

SEASON     DIVISION               POSITION      NOTES
2010/11    Italian Serie C2/C     17th          

Aims For Next Season: Give a better account of ourselves than this season. A top half finish would be preferable.

Archived