FM10 Small Club to Big Club Big Euro Nation Challenge

Keep it up, things have to get better eventually if the board thinks you have such a good team.

Both Murcia and Cordoba got promoted from my group, so 50% of the promoted teams were in my group. Shows how hard things were and how it should be a bit better next year...

However, major blow. We are now back to semi-professional :(

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Alan Boyd is my pick of the new youth players through this season. Assistant already reckons he is leading 3rd Division material with the potential of being good 1st division player. I have promoted him straight to the first team and will try and give him as much football as I can to help him develop.

First aim of the season complete - Challenge Cup Round 1 - Raith are in Division 1 too. At least I have made progress in one cup at the very least this season :)

edit: As though one div 1 scalp wasn't enough, the next match of the season League Cup Round 1 makes it a second and makes me hopeful and optimistic about the new season which is always dangerous!

Elgin 1 -2 Ross County in the 2nd round of the Challenge Cup.

We have Kilmarnock coming up shortly in the League cup. I hope it isn't embarassing as I don't think we will be getting any upsets against them, as we are already struggling with a few injuries.

Alan Boyd is my pick of the new youth players through this season. Assistant already reckons he is leading 3rd Division material with the potential of being good 1st division player. I have promoted him straight to the first team and will try and give him as much football as I can to help him develop.

Like Boyd Gilbster :thup:

Great first season too.

Twellman - glad to hear you survived :)

Most likely tonight NZ time when I return from work... :) So around about 9 hours or so from now haha.

Something to look forward when I get to work tomorrow morning then!! How many can I justifiably expect to get I wonder. I think all of them!! ;)

Since we went down a notch and are now semi-professional, I am going to just stick to the signings I already had scheduled for this summer and fill up the rest of the team with 3-4 youngsters. Hopefully this will work. Just had a decent 0-3 loss against feeder Xerez with two goals by ex-Inter Obinha :eek:

We've played some 1st division teams throughout the summer, and 80-90% of all the goals we conceed are from 30 yards, a la Ronaldinho. Is this how FM balances out matches between big and small teams? This is rather annoying tbh, I've seen 6 goals in four games that I havent seen together in one season :confused:

Did some research and found the starting reps of some of our clubs:

Castillo C.F = 2100

Algeciras = 2500

Ostuni = 1300 :eek:

Elgin = 2000

Infesta = 2500

Pisa = 2500

Venezia = 2500

Pajara Playas = 3300

I wondered why we were so amazingly crap, and why nobody wanted to join.. Now I know! :p

The team: Sporting Club Farense

The manager: Francisco Peixoto

The player: ElDani

It's about half-time through the season on 1st of January 2011 with 16 of 30 matches played and the transfer window has just opened. Since I last posted here I won three times and also had three draws which means that Farense is in second position hot on the heels of Sporting Espinho, who are still leading by five points and who have won 13 of 16 matches (league table).

Because a first place finish is still entirely possible, I'll be gambling big for the title shot. My current wages are a few thousand € per month under budget and there are still a couple of players from the original squad, who haven't gotten much playtime so far, that will have to leave. My weakest positions are clearly the fullbacks and any wingers that I have can't cross a damn so that's where I'll be looking for some new additions to the team. That only makes sense, because despite two good strikers in my lineup, they haven been way too ineffective for my liking (scoring table).

Wish me luck that I'll find someone or someones among the 454 well-known players the player search has found me as realistic signings for my team and that they'll get me up into the Liga Vitalis where the famous Boavista Porto is currently in 13th position. It would be grand to compete with such an internationally successful team in only my second season ;)

I can only hope that this high risk approach will pay off, else I might just be back to a semi-professional squad like Twellman24 has experienced. That is bad luck for him of course, but better than being relegated and losing the challenge in the very first season.

About half way through the season, and we're doing much better. Our league position wouldn't say so though, we're three places off the bottom, but we've lost and drawn a few that we shouldn't have done, and we've conceded far fewer. Our goal difference is only -5!

Gilbster - Unlucky, but still a brilliant first season. Boyd looks promising.

Twellman24 - Grats on staying up, to bad about the semi-pro status.

Question about semi-pro though. Does it really matter? I have my first team and coaches on fulltime contracts anyways just to get the most out of training. Only difference seem to be that you have the option of using semi-pro contracts if you wanna save money?

(ed) Played 2 more games. 0-0 home and 1-0 loss away. At least we're not letting in 4 a game any more.

I'll tell you the one difference I've seen so far--I was negotiating with a player, and he rejected my contract asking for for money. All well until I turned semi-pro. Then, the player did not want to even talk about joining my team.

Even though I lost my first game against a relegation team at home 1-2 (joke of a second goal), i just beat Marbella, promotion contender, 3-0 at home in the second game. Feeling pretty optimistic right now :)

And Strasser just played his 104th cap at Wembley as captain of his national side on a 5-0 loss against England. This guy is a supersttar! I've made a deal with him: he keeps getting called for hois country, I'll keep extending his contract :D

Edit: And now my recently signed GK gets called by Cape Verde before a game. Great.

Another loss, at home to Alaves 2-1. Starting to get worried again. 1-3-10 so far. 9 points away from a playoff spot for relegation. I need a miracle or some amazing signings in January. Gonna be hard since I can only offer £50 a week to key players atm. :p

At this rate I'll be the first to fail at the challenge. :(

Gilbster - awesome work. 1 question, how the hell have you nearly completed 2 seasons in a day?! What does your computer run on?? :D

Yeah was wondering when I was going to be asked that.

First I have always played FM quick. I play on commentary only and at the fastest speeds. It probably makes me a worse player, but its the way I like playing.

Second - I am not technically on the computer I will be playing FM on. 2 weeks ago my laptop died and I am having to wait til mid November for a replacement from Dell. In the meantime I am sharing the family desktop and since they will be needing it from tomorrow a lot, and I'm back at work Tuesday, my playtime and speed will drop off a bit.

Luckily its a very fast computer that apparently is more than capable of running FM so when I will be playing I'll be able to fly!

Did some research and found the starting reps of some of our clubs:

Castillo C.F = 2100

Algeciras = 2500

Ostuni = 1300 :eek:

Elgin = 2000

Infesta = 2500

Pisa = 2500

Venezia = 2500

Pajara Playas = 3300

Glad to be at the top of that list :thup: I enlisted an 18yr old french GK in the january window and he has solved 2 problems .. conceding late goals and taking one of the 6 under-22 berths that we're forced to use.

We're now mid table with 2 games left and have 3 or 4 good players joining in July and the end of their contracts. High hopes for next season :D

Gilbster - Damn that's good. Can you send some of that magic my way? :D

TaylorB - I hope to some days see 2 W's next to one another in that 5 letter sequence hehe.

I've been going through scout reports from Italy, Portugal and Belgium and I found a few nice youngsters in Italy. Just hope I can attract them with my lousy wages. I could give a few of them what they want. Would give be a big boost in January for sure. Gonna try to offload a few to get the wages down as well.

We played 1 more game. Against Lugo who where 19th in the table, right infront of us. We beat them 1-0 at our ground to make it 2 wins in 15. Amazing record hehe. But at least now we're not dead last. And next game is at home to the 18th placed team Ourense to. Crossing fingers for that one.

Either way I have hopes of a better second half of the season if I can get some of these players my scouts have found. I think that was my main problem in the summer, having no staff at all. I spent over a week just finding an assistent manager before anything else.

(ed) Oww a couple of those Italians already came. 4th December. I must have missed something about the transfer window?

Ohanzee - I'd love to send some your way but I have no idea how I am doing this. Were your Italians on free transfers? If so they be exempt from the transfer windows, at least thats what I'm finding with some players in Scotland.

6 games to go and we have guaranteed a playoff spot, and gap is up to 14 points by my calculations. C'mon, don't do anything stupid now Elgin!

Yea all free transfers. Mostly 18-20 years old as well. Oh and a familiar face is coming in January. Salvatore Fresi :D I had him at FC Mulhouse to, he should give us some much needed quality in the middle.

Awesome I'm signing him in January as well :D

Desperately need some experience at the back, he looks like he still has it too :)

See if Simone Confalone is also available. He's already joined us and played a decent game.

We beat Ourense 1-0 at home as well. They scored the goal though, own goal on a corner. I don't care how we win atm though. These two wins at home against the other bottom teams are gonna be extremely important.

Gilbster - Congrats! Very well done!

Our influx of italians have already made a HUGE difference to the team. We played Eibar away. They are predicted by the media to finish 1st, but are only 13th atm. Still they are a good team obviously and odds on them winning was 1.13. No such luck for them as Noja beat the crap out of them and won 3-0. Not totally deserved with them having 3 clear cut chances, but who cares. We've won 3 in a row!!!

Here's the new italians :

Mirko Fioravanti (D/WB, RL) - 20 year old wingback, can play both sides. Very much needed as both our current fullbacks have been crap. He's also half the age of our rightback.

Silvano Sabatini (GK) - 20 year old goalkeeper. Looks great, bit sad about his determination, but he's already good enough to win us games at this level.

Marco Bonassi (GK) - 18 year old goalkeeper. Another talented goalie, backup for now. I'm gonna trash the two oldies we've been using.

Gianluca Atzeni (AM, RL) - 20 year old winger. Can play both sides and finally someone who can cross the ball. His passing needs to go up though.

Andrea Visconti (SC) - 19 year old striker. Very strong physically for this level. Already showing as we managed to keep the ball up there when he got it and very bit part in our win over Eibar.

Simone Confalone (DM/MC) - 36 year old experienced midfielder. Him and Fresi when he comes in January should help us win the midfield battles.

Best part about the youngsters is they're already worth a pretty penny as you can see. Might be able to sell them for a good profit. I'm still looking for more young talent, but I need to offload some older guys first to be able to offer any kind of wages now.

I just remembered why this game is so much fun again :D

Gilbster - 2011/12 - Elgin City - Scottish Third Division - End of Season Update

Table | Positions | Squad | Transfers | Top Scorer | Only ever present player

Well after the surprise of getting to the playoffs last season, I was going to be happy with a repeat performance of a top half finish, which is what I told my board. I only bought in a few players initially and strenghtened with free transfers as the season went along.

Also based on my Ass mans pre-season advice I changed formation, and I suspect that was the key to the season. I was generally only signing players rated good for Div 2 or better, which meant that should I get promoted, I may have a decent base already.

What can I say other than wow, to our performance in the league this season - including an 18 game without losing streak in the middle of the season in the league.

Cups

Challenge Cup:

1st rd: Raith Rovers (D1) 0-4 Elgin

2nd rd: Elgin 1-2 Ross County (D1)

League Cup:

1st Rd: Elgin 3-1 Stirling (D1)

2nd Rd: Kilmarnock (Prm) 5-0 Elgin

FA Cup:

2nd Rd: Elgin 2-0 Inevurie Loco Works

3rd Rd: Arbroath (D2) 1-4 Elgin

4th Rd: Motherwell (Prm) 2-0 Elgin

An impressive improvement all around in the cups too this season, and with a couple of wins against teams in higher divisions I have to hopeful for my new season.

Aims

Avoid relegation - I personally reckon its doable without too many additions, but I will attempt to strengthen where possible, or at least better quality backups

Consolidate performance in cups

Already since gaining the promotion I can hire more scouts and coaches, and have done. Wonder if I will be allowed to scout any new locations, or if I can find some players from countries that my scouts havent really found any in yet.

Career So Far

Season    Division           Position    Points     Achievements
2010/11   Third Division     3rd         59         Lost in playoff semi final
2011/12   Third Division     1st         77         Winners and Promoted

Amazing season Gilbster, you're definitely good in Scotland. Hopefully the promotion doesn't hurt us in the long run.

Amazing-- and I mean amazing win over top half predicted Lorca by 1-3 away. We scored all three shots on target, and that's even without the strikers scoring at all--one goal by Jose Ignacio, born in Algeciras and who already played five games last season, but with his top corner goal today has ensured more minutes in the midfield. Strasser scored from a free kick, too :D

More good news: five games without losing now, and Algeciras is 5th in the table...but tied with another six teams with 13 points out of the first 18. I'm still waiting for the fall, but so far we're just enjoying this amazing start!

Congratulations Gilbster, you're fantastic! It's true that some guys could use that insane luck of yours :D

Ohanzee, yeah those guys are amazing, I could really use Gianluca Atzeni and Mirko Fioravanti in my game!

Well, I've made good on my promise to look for some quality on full-back and winger positions and the one signing so far is Vargas on a free transfer. He's a 32 year old Portuguese offensive winger that had been playing in Cyprus for the past five years and it was time for him to come home again. In his first match for Farense he made two goals from standards, thanks to his free kick taking attribute of 15 (one free kick was at least 35 meters from the goal).

This performance allowed me to edge out a narrow 2:1 victory and he also grabbed the man of the match award with a rare 8.7 rating. I'm all the more happy about this win, because Sporting Espinho FINALLY made a mistake and played a 1:1 draw against the 16th placed relegation candidate Famalicao.

Archived