FM10 Small Club to Big Club Big Euro Nation Challenge

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks guys, so far the first challenge seems to be seeing anyone other than Elgin at the bottom of the table, to takeover. Its only taking 15 mins to holiday to the last fixture date of the league so I am running through for a third time before bed, and then will start to look to see if I want Elgin, Stranraer or hope for someone else in the morning.

Sociedad Deportiva Noja

My profile

Sociedad Deportiva Noja is a football team based in Noja in the autonomous community of Cantabria. Founded in 1963, it plays in the Tercera División - Group 3. Its stadium is La Caseta with a capacity of 3,000 seats. (wikipedia)

The club is semi-pro and estimated to be avalued £180K. We have adequate training facilities and minimal youth facilities, and there is no youth academy. There's no season ticket holders and the wage budget is a cracking £3,3K per week. That's less than 2 players had at Burgos so this should be a real challenge at least. Proper small club, should be good fun.

The only staff is the Chairman and a physio so I'll have to go hunt for a decent assistant manager first of all. Most of the current squad are wanted by other clubs to, but since they are semi-pro they'll all go on free. Quick look through show a severe lack of quality in all positions of the field and I probably wouldn't wanna keep many of them anyways.

Looking at the picture from Noja on wikipedia it looks very quiet, but it's time to change that. :D

Looks quiet indeed Ohan--but the best beaches are in Cantabria!

Week 20, just beat relegation spot Baza 1-0 with one goal by Jabuti, the star striker who's starting to look like one--still on the transfers list until he sorts himself out, though. With this win, we are now five points below the relegation playoff, which is all we can aim to for now...

YESSS! We just beat Ceuta away 0-2--Ceuta just happened to be the team in the relegation playoff spot; we are now two points below them and below Lucena, which is the last team avoiding relegation atm. Jabuti scored again!

I hope this keeps on going, 9 points out of our last 12 :)

Sounds like a real battle Twellman24! Crossing my fingers you can do it :thup:

I think I tried 40 different people for my assistant manager role and no one wanted it. Ended up with a crappy regen that really wanted to just be a coach. Ah well.

Been signing anything that looks like it can hit a pass and not miss the target with more than a few dozen yards :D Problem now is that I can only register 22 players and 6 of them have to be under 23 years. There's very few under 30 that wanna come to us.

I need some sleep now. Relegation battle will have to wait until tomorrow. :)

Last update--I just beat MURCIA 1-2 away! I cant believe it--one goal was an own goal, and they only managed to score on the 92nd minute. One of those goals from 30 yards only happen when FM wants to score :thdn:

Anyway, we just beat Murcia 1-2 away in front of 13,000 Murcia fans and right now we are one point clear of relegation, feeling pretty good about the team right now :D

Twellman - Great work getting yourself back up from the depths of relegation. Hopefully you can pull the way back from there and stay up for season one.

Ohanzee - Good luck with that, those are some rather harsh rules, if I could only register 22 players I would now have no strikers with the 4 I ranked top out injured.

As for Elgin, we have just taken another win 3-1 over Stenhousemuir, they were 3rd before our game, are now 4th on 8pts. We move out to 15pts. Thaer has been a delight, he scored another 2 goals and provided the goal for Gunn as well. That means he has 3G 2A (3 apps), Gunn has 4G 1A (7 apps), Yordi 6G 0A (6 apps), Sibierski 4G 3A (3 apps).

Welcome aboard El Sid, good luck to you in Germany :)

Elgin have gone to game 7 & 8 with a 1-1 draw at Albion Rovers & then having Stranraer come to town and beat them 4-0 to take us 5pts clear at the top, Berwick lost 1, drew 1. So with 2/9ths of the season gone we are looking very good, and we are finally getting some people back from injuries.

Achievements Watch: (Total: 675) - He's Signed, Clean Sheet, First Victory, Hat-trick, Top of the Class (MoM), Team Performance (5+ ToW)

Update: So next we went to Forfar and managed to lose 3-1, which meant we slipped back to only 4pts clear as both our chasers only managed draws. So one round gone and we sit with a 6-1-2 record. 25-10 over 9 games, it looks good so far, but a few things we could improve on.

I need to get me a copy of this game!! I'm so jealously looking in! I'm going to do it next week sometime. It was vital this weekend was left fm-less but I might order a copy now so I can get holidaying soon. I'm thinking of either returning to Italy or going to Holland.

[edit] - I've just ordered it.

I need to get me a copy of this game!! I'm so jealously looking in! I'm going to do it next week sometime. It was vital this weekend was left fm-less but I might order a copy now so I can get holidaying soon. I'm thinking of either returning to Italy or going to Holland.

just can't resist the challenge....... ;)

Presenting Gilbster - New Manager of Elgin City

I have decided to follow in Des's footsteps and take over at Elgin City. They look like a club that were designed just for this challenge. Having finished bottom by miles in 5 separate reloads they must be really low rep and pretty bad. Perfect for a manager that gets relegated easily to have a go at!

Starting Squad

Looks like my first jobs are try and get a parent club (just incase it helps), try and figure out who is really, really bad and then figure out how to get some good players into the club, so that we can finish 9th not 10th for my first season!

Twellman - Great scrap down there! The signs are good, I really hope you can avoid relegation!

Des - Fantastic start there! But please, stop being so good, you're making the rest of us look bad... :p

Gilbster - Good luck with Elgin. I hope you enjoy your time in Scotland. I had a brief read of Daf's challenge and noticed how you seem to enjoy getting relegated.. at least you don't have to worry about that this time!

It's looking like the main players my scouts can find are either some good 18-19 year olds and then some in the 35+ bracket. I am going to try and sign some of both in the off chance that younger ones can get good by the time the oldies run out of air and are puffing for breath on the pitch!

In front of a crowd of 14 at Lothian Thistle, Elgin City win their first friendly 2-0. I just hope this is a sign of whats to come.

We are drawn against Hamilton of Div 1 in the first round of the league cup and also against Brechin (Div 2) in the Challenge Cup first round.

I just hope I have strengthened the squad enough that we won't be embarassed by the cups. In fact having checked the confidence screen, all I am expected to do is learn from the experience of playing in these 2 cups, so the pressure is off a bit. Also in the start of season expectations I chose consolidate, just to keep the pressure off. Would like to hold onto this job for a while.

Challenge Cup 1st Round - So close, but yet so far. Fantastic match, we had a goal disallowed in the 110th min, which would have taken it to penalties, but it was nice and close at least.

Next up Hamilton in the League cup, before we get to start our league season.

edit: Presenting Mateus Machaj the first guy my scout in Poland has found for me. Young and plenty of potential, I hope he can be key for me in the upcoming seasons.

Hmm, maybe I should chose another club then. Would take some fun out of it if the first steps where to easy cause the club reputation is high (although we're predicted to finish only 15th). How big are your stadiums then? And do any of you have a youth academy? We even have 2750 season ticket holders already.

Our stadium is a mere 3150 effort with no seats. Adequate training and minimal youth - no academy. This is why I avoided the Burgos's of this world! 41 loyal season ticket holders this year!

Been signing anything that looks like it can hit a pass and not miss the target with more than a few dozen yards :D Problem now is that I can only register 22 players and 6 of them have to be under 23 years. There's very few under 30 that wanna come to us.

That was a bit of an issue for me as well. Couldn't find any decent youngsters that fancied a move to Gran Canaria. Really struggled to get the 6 U23 players in my squad and had to sacrifice some fairly talented older guys. Shame these rules exist, it does annoy me.

Brilliant post! Can't wait to see you back in here PRDH :thup:

My Pajara Playas team have developed the annoying habit of scoring first then giving up !

Last 5 results, scored first in every game

1-2

1-3

1-2

2-3

1-3

We started badly too but turned it around with a rigid solid tactic. Have a little tweak here and there in the tactics wizard if you're struggling

Ohanzee - Good luck with that, those are some rather harsh rules, if I could only register 22 players I would now have no strikers with the 4 I ranked top out injured.

Yea, it wouldn't be so bad if I could attract some decent young players, but there's none. Zero, zip. Maybe my assistant is just crap at knowing who is a possible target for us, but my scouts also have come back with zero players below 23 so far. Gonna play a couple of hours now.

Nice start Lower Leagues Rule, even with the injuries. Looks like you're onto something big. :thup:

el sid - Good luck in Germany. Have a look at the rules for the top division and start drooling on the price money hehe. Seems to be the only of these leagues where the price money is actually listed.

Gilbster - Good luck. Will be fun having two people with the same team.

PRDH - When will the game arrive? Where are you gonna start this year you think?

TanO - That happened a lot to me on the Rosenborg save I was playing around with on Saturday. 1-0 lead mean at best a 1-1 draw, every time. Need to find a way around that or we'll be done with this challenge by relegation hehe.

Gilbster - unlucky there. I notice Inigo Idiakez is an Elgin player - is he still good? What league were Brechin in?

Brechin were in the 2nd division and my scouts reckon Inigo was either leading Third Division still or for a higher up division. I will be happy if I can get 1 or 2 good seasons from him.

Unfortunately Elgin 0-4 Hamilton (1st Div, newly relegated) in the first round of the League cup isn't as good.

Game should arrive between Tuesday and Thrusday apparently (Wednesday?!). I'm going to have a snoop around before I commit myself, but I really enjoyed Italy so would be tempted to head back there. But am also tempted by going elsewhere for a bit of a change.

iacovone - Looks like there is no such rule in the next division so we'll just have to get up there. Easier said than done if my first game is anything to go by.

We just lost our first game 3-1 away to Lemona. Highligt was when their keeper fumbled the ball to give my striker the one shot we had on target. Rest of the game we where hardly on their side of the pitch at all. Lemona where big favorites though (1.40 odds) and are estimated to be 7th, so I guess I shouldn't expect any better. Hopefully we can get some more shots on goal in our home games.

I won't bother doing screenshots of all my signings, they're all pretty bad. My fans where excited when we signed Jesus and my assistant thinks he's our best midfielder. However he got injured 2 days after his arrival and is out for half a year. The rest of the squad is slightly worse than him I'd say, a couple on the same level.

Ah well, can only go one way from here.

--

4-1 loss in our second game. This time at home against relegation contenders Gimnástica. Our fans are devastated by the loss to this close rival. This is gonna get tough.

Ohanzee - that's good news then. I imagine its going to be seriously tough to get out of the lowest tier in Spain as you have to win the playoffs to go up (no auto promotion).

Thought I'd introduce my 3 main signings:

Addison, signed on a free after finding him in the Spanish trial game.

Roberto Alvarez was moved to us in a 10k transfer (all our budget). He captains the side quite regularly as the club capts are not regulars.

Oscar Rocchi, Italian signed on a free transfer after being discovered by one of my scouts (hats off to him). Rocchi is still settling in but is the best striker we have by a way.

i am not intending on getting FM10 and will be continuing my with Universidad de Oviedo game from FM09. just updated in the old thread but at some stage that thread is going to die.

hence for the moment, i presume i will continue in the old thread but would it be OK if at some stage i "transferred" the game across to this thread even though it FM09?

i am not intending on getting FM10 and will be continuing my with Universidad de Oviedo game from FM09. just updated in the old thread but at some stage that thread is going to die.

hence for the moment, i presume i will continue in the old thread but would it be OK if at some stage i "transferred" the game across to this thread even though it FM09?

I'm not sure tbh ghostwriter. Ideally we'd like to keep this thread FM10 only but am willing to listen to LLR and rlipscombe on their thoughts. I don't think the 09 thread would die either tbf I was just reading your update myself :)

no problem, i doubt it would die straightaway, there will still be several people playing FM09 for a fair while yet and i was going to continue using it for the moment but i can't imagine it will have many people posting in it in 2010. i would have only thought about moving it here if at some moment the thread ended up consisting of me updating every so often and nothing else. that said, you never know might happen...

Yea Alaves are in my league to. I'm starting to worry about relegating actually.

5-3 loss away to Toledo now, they are predicted 19th. I'm just gonna stick to the tactic and hope my back four gel at some point. Atm the other teams look like scoring whenever they have the ball.

Yea Alaves are in my league to. I'm starting to worry about relegating actually.

5-3 loss away to Toledo now, they are predicted 19th. I'm just gonna stick to the tactic and hope my back four gel at some point. Atm the other teams look like scoring whenever they have the ball.

Yep I'm beginning to get that very same feeling. Not won in 4 now :(

Ohan--same situation here, all I can say is keep the faith. I was five point below the relegation playoff (not even salvation) midway through the season; now things are starting to click and we're starting to make narrow but important wins home and away to fight against relegation, which is now five points below us. Relegation playoff is one point below though, and the team currently in it (Antequera) is playing us in the last day of the season. At home.

you guys have to keep it up in Spain though, I know the rules are tough but that's part of the challenge :)

Ohan--same situation here, all I can say is keep the faith. I was five point below the relegation playoff (not even salvation) midway through the season; now things are starting to click and we're starting to make narrow but important wins home and away to fight against relegation, which is now five points below us. Relegation playoff is one point below though, and the team currently in it (Antequera) is playing us in the last day of the season. At home.

you guys have to keep it up in Spain though, I know the rules are tough but that's part of the challenge :)

Don't worry I'm here for the long haul. Enjoying Spain so far, feel like I'm building a good squad here but the problem is because of how small we are (reputation-wise) its going to be a slow process. I predict at least 3 years down in this division :cool:

I'd be ecstatic if I only were here for three years lol

Lost away, but Antequera did too. Still clear of both relegation and playoff by two and one points...four games to go. If I go down at Antequera on the last day of the season...

If there is one advice I can give the pals in spain is this: Don't be afraid to play the big teams away. I've beat Ceuta and Murcia away and tied Jaen also at their turf by just counterattacking and getting lucky, and not going all defense until the last 15 minutes of play.

Yea going all defense was a waste of time. I was down 2-0 after 15 minutes against Pontevedra away. They where 1.17 favorites to beat us anyways. Went all out attack in the second half and it ended 2-0. Guess I'll just stick to attacking and hope to win a few 4-3 games :D

Archived